The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 325

• Page

of 388 First / Last

• SGMilne 29 Apr 2013 16:17:08 146 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My complete runthrough of Doctor Who has reached the end of the Peter Davison Era.

If you're interested, all my reviews can be found at http://stuartreviewsstuff.wordpress.com/index/
  • mal 4 May 2013 17:13:20 22,532 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FWIW, I just caught up with last weeks episode, and unlike most of you it seems, I enjoyed it. When Clara got lost inside the Tardis I was expecting a whole episode of running around corridors (as per Gillen getting stuck inside in Doctor's Wife), but they pulled a rabbit out of a hat and filled the episode with lots of enticing detail.

I dunno, probably my expectations were at rock bottom as the only previous episode this writer has written was the utterly awful Curse of the Black Spot from the other year.

No idea if this was an expensive episode, but it looked it. Either way it was money well spent IMO. Monsters were a bit daft, but I accepted the explanation of their genesis, and people running away from them, I could understand.

It's a slight shame that I thought this could have been heading towards a mini story arc with the doctor being tardis-less for a couple of episodes, but I suppose one arc a series is considered brave for Doctor Who these days. I guess I just miss the old serial structure sometimes.

I quite liked the brothers running the salvage ship with their SE London accents. Felt like proper hard sci-fi in a 70s mould, with a twist.

Of course, the ending was pretty bobbins if you put any thought into it at all, which was a shame after a pretty coherent rest of episode, but hardly any worse than the average episode these days.

Tonight's episode is a Gatiss, which is almost guaranteed to be bobbins, but enjoyably atmospheric.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• HoriZon 4 May 2013 18:04:18 13,544 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We saw a swimming pool in the Tardis but didn't the Doctor eject that sometime ago?

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• mal 4 May 2013 18:15:24 22,532 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Could be an echo of a swimming pool, perhaps?

• DanB24 4 May 2013 18:21:18 1,975 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mmmm Jenny ♥ lol
    http://youtu.be/LlS-q2yai7Y
  • Folant 4 May 2013 18:36:43 1,166 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Or a new one. The TARDIS can create an infinitesimal number of rooms.

Or did I dream that?

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• DanB24 4 May 2013 18:51:29 1,975 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol at the Tegan reference!

And Thomas Thomas.

Edited by DanB24 at 19:00:16 04-05-2013
  • HoriZon 4 May 2013 19:15:45 13,544 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh dear lord it's like the crap years again.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• DanB24 4 May 2013 19:18:41 1,975 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Enjoyed that one. :)
  • DFawkes 4 May 2013 19:23:18 22,965 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked it, which I wasn't expecting as I'm not generally a Gatiss fan. Though it helps that I have a crush on Madam Vashtra, a member of an ethnic group it's exceptionally hard to find on match.com. Though Jenny Warrior Princess did make me smile too :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• mal 4 May 2013 20:48:38 22,532 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems to me that of the three acting League of Gentelmen, Gatiss is the one least likely to combine horror and comedy successfully, although landed with comedy turds like Mr Potato Head, perhaps he's not entirely to blame.

• Folant 4 May 2013 23:12:34 1,166 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love Straxx.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• GrandpaUlrira 4 May 2013 23:38:26 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's strange, in some ways this series is better written than some of the RTD-led ones, but it's so... dull.

Edited by GrandpaUlrira at 00:29:50 05-05-2013
  • Chopsen 4 May 2013 23:45:08 15,983 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I'm finding it really hard to give a stuff at all about anything that happens in these episodes. I'm not really sure what it is. All I can come up with is it's just not very good, and a bit rubbish.
  • Blerk Moderator 4 May 2013 23:48:02 48,225 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty unimpressed with that one too tbh, although it did at least hang together properly this week. The Sontaran comic relief and crap jokes never fail to induce a groan though.

My biggest gripe, however... Singing Jerusalem in 1893? The tune wasn't written until 1916!

And next week we get annoying kids. Brilliant.
  • DanB24 4 May 2013 23:50:05 1,975 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was looking forwards to seeing the Cybermen next week but those awful kids will make it suck. :(
  • Wavey 5 May 2013 00:30:29 377 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This episode is the only one I have enjoyed so far, and even then I wasn't that impressed. Glad I am not the only one who has be finding it all a bit dull. I think I don't really like clara that much.

Also how the hell did the kids find those pictures so easily??!
  • GrandpaUlrira 5 May 2013 00:31:09 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Next week's is the Neil Gaiman episode, I think. His last one was great, so I'm holding out some hope for it, even with annoying kids.
  • mal 5 May 2013 01:09:06 22,532 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ooh, now I'm conflicted. Annoying kids, bloody cybermen? But a bit of a Gaiman fanboy here. No idea.

• RobTheBuilder 5 May 2013 02:20:35 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't excellent, but given the fear of a new Mark Gatiss episode it was over expectations.

Looking forward to next week. Cybermen and Neil Gaiman versus stage school kid actors, a fight to the death!
  • X201 5 May 2013 07:08:39 15,412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wavey wrote:

Yeah, hate plot aspects like that, they could have added short scenes with the kids spotting them at school and in books over the last five weeks. It would have added a nice build up to last nights confrontation, but even then the "...or we'll tell dad." moment should have had more fight from Clara.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2013 11:32:10
    Really enjoyed that, the Doctor at his schlocky best - and Clara didn't grate too much either. Pleasantly surprised.

The 'Tom Tom' joke was brilliantly done and Strax gave the episode some genuine humour and warmth.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2013 11:54:20
    DanB24 wrote:
    Mmmm Jenny ♥ lol
    http://youtu.be/LlS-q2yai7Y
    Haha, I missed that gag. That's ace :)
  • themanfromdelmonte 5 May 2013 12:26:16 578 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Wavey wrote:

Yeah, hate plot aspects like that, they could have added short scenes with the kids spotting them at school and in books over the last five weeks. It would have added a nice build up to last nights confrontation, but even then the "...or we'll tell dad." moment should have had more fight from Clara.
    Yeah should have gone.

Kids: We'll tell dad.

Clara: That I'm a time traveller? Go ahead. He'll think you're mad, or just talking bollocks.

Kids: But we'll show him the photos.

Clara: Meh, photoshop.
  • TarickStonefire 5 May 2013 14:26:21 3,101 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Enjoyed that, again. Bit at the end was a bit weird, timey-wimey stuff notwithstanding*, a bit clunky. I don't mind clunky in Doctor Who, though. I know I'm probably in a minority around here on that score... ;)

*ie, surely those pics of her existed well before she even met the doctor for the first time as far as her modern day chronology is concerned, and yet those kids only found them *now*

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 5 May 2013 14:28:47 3,101 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:

The 'Tom Tom' joke was brilliantly done and Strax gave the episode some genuine humour and warmth.
    Strax was a scene stealer as always but the Tom Tom joke was *rubbish*. As soon as he said "...and you'll arrive at your destination" I knew something sat-navvy was coming. A bit ashamed I didn't work it out myself, but that doesn't make it any less cringe some.

And yet it still didn't spoil it. Love Doctor Who.

• TarickStonefire 5 May 2013 14:34:19 3,101 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wavey wrote:
    I think I don't really like clara that much.
    I think she's great, which I'm sure is partly because she's the first assistant/companion since this whole new run started back with moody whatsisface as the Doctor that I've actually found attractive... ;)

One thing that annoys is Clara's delivery. It's very 'slick', all snappy comebacks and wry verbal jostling with the Doc, and it just feels too scripted. I think she's got a strength of personality and obvious intelligence and sensitivity that she doesn't need her lines to be written like that.

But then I wonder if that's because it's part of the story we don't know about her. I think she's a lot like the Doctor, more than any other assistant has been.

• themanfromdelmonte 5 May 2013 15:00:53 578 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

Time can be rewritten. The Doctor and Clara were rewritten into that portion of the time-line hence the photos can into existance as causality was altered.

Lord knows how earth survived the Cold War episode in the causality where The Doctor and Clara weren't present. When The Doctor precipitates the events, it's an easy square to circle. But the Ice Warrior would have clearly still been defrosted without them there.
  • mal 5 May 2013 15:07:19 22,532 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Re the Doctor's female companions, they should just cast Julia Swahala and be done with it.

• Deleted user 5 May 2013 15:52:15
    @mal Actually, I really wanted the Doctor to cure Ada's blindness and offer to take her along after she 'saved' him.

She was very well played, and rather beautiful to boot.
  • Page

of 388 First / Last