The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 315

• Page

of 407 First / Last

• MatMan562 30 Sep 2012 00:04:06 2,615 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Isn't that vortex thing a 1 person deal though?
    No, The Doctor, Captain Jack and Martha used it (or a similar one at least, but it's hinted it's the same one) to get back to Earth when The Master stole the Tardis. Also in The Big Bang episode The Doctor was going to use it to take himself and Rory to the "present" day.

But, yeah, they clearly said that if they were to go back and change it again, creating another paradox, it would blow up New York. Although one thing I can't remember if they answered ot not, why were they going for Rory? Just a case of they got him once and wanted to keep him or something else?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Folant 30 Sep 2012 00:46:25 1,604 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mosty crushed about Rory's dad. After introducing the character, giving him a bit of flavour, etc..

How will the Doctor break the news?
    Heart breaking.

Also, a la vortex manipulator. The Doctor used his sonic on it after the Master stole the TARDIS. Maybe he rewrote the software to take more than one passenger?
    Doesn't explain it in Big Bang, unless its the same one and already able to carry multiple passengers, but how would he know that?

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• varsas 30 Sep 2012 00:56:08 2,414 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    Their ending was a bit of a damp squib if I'm honest. I felt more for the Doctor than I did for Amy & Rory.
    Is that not the point? In the end Amy & Rory are together and the Doctor is left alone; aside from his wife.

Although I think the 'rules' for the Angels are still flakey I enjoyed the episode and thought it was a fitting end for the Ponds although it means that they are unlikely to make a reappearance; although I think a few adventures occurred between episodes 4 and 5; it would be interesting if they did a 'flashback' episode.
  • mal 30 Sep 2012 01:25:37 22,842 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just seen that of 'tiplayer. Rather pleasantly surprised too - that makes three good episodes out of five in my book. Just when I thought the whole thing had gone to the dogs, it plays a blinder.

That's not to say that was a perfect episode, but I think that's the best exit of a companion I've seen (not that I remember too many of the classic series ones). Much better played than Piper being left in a parallel universe, and I can't remember what happened to the other companions, I care so little about them.

From a logical point of view, I don't see why we can't see the Ponds again (well, the Pond and the Williams anyway - surprised one didn't take the others name) - it'd just have to be in their (new) time and not mess up the fixed constant. Which of course is why we won't see them again - because they can't have any exciting adventures if you know they can't die (and we've already got one character with that problem - don't really need two more).

I suppose that episode did weaken the angels quite a bit - for long times no one was looking at them and they didn't move, but I can perhaps forgive a bit of artistic license. Angels were a hell of a lot scarier in all their previous outings though.

Okay, Moffat's wiped some of his recent record clean. Just has to not fuck up the second half of this series and I'll be happy. I'm easily pleased, me ;)

Edit: Spelinn

Edited by mal at 01:26:42 30-09-2012

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Daryoon 30 Sep 2012 02:12:19 4,668 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Watching this week's straight after last week's was pretty harrowing. Especially since last week ended with Rory's dad asking the Doctor to keep Amy/Rory safe...

Everything sems to have "plot holes" in these days. What do people want? The plot to stall so the Doctor can deliver reams of technobabble to answer all the nitpicky questions? Ah, Internet!
  • Arry2007uk 30 Sep 2012 09:18:55 37 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just a reminder for the people that care, to get some idea at this stage of the chronological order of events to check out Pond Life on iPlayer. The story it tells is not amazing but it gives perspective to how things are out of sync time-wise.

Edited by Arry2007uk at 09:19:32 30-09-2012
  • MatMan562 30 Sep 2012 10:22:16 2,615 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    (Some potential spoilers about the Christmas episode: )
    I watched a video from the Doctor Who website last night and Steven Moffat said that in the episode we meet the Victorian era characters from 'A Good Man Goes To War'. At first I thought nothing of it other than it sould be interesting but now I realise that that means we're definitely not seeing things in the 'right' order. It means that the Christmas episode happened for the Doctor before Demon's Run but seemingly after 'The Angel's Take Manhatten'. Should be interesting/ confusing.

Edited by MatMan562 at 10:22:33 30-09-2012

• stephenb 30 Sep 2012 12:31:30 2,804 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My daughter(9) cried her eyes out at last nights episode.
    Impressionable child. She wasn't going to watch it as she was terrified at the last Weeping Angels episode. I told her that she would miss Amy & Rory leaving. When the credits came up between the sobs she said,
    "Thanks for nothing Dad."
    No pleasing some people.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• captbirdseye 30 Sep 2012 16:06:38 5,470 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this series in two parts? As i'm pretty disappointed with what has been 5 filler episodes.
  • mal 30 Sep 2012 18:14:30 22,842 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Er yes. Do keep up! Chrimbo special next, then the remainder of this series at some point next year.

• RichieTenenbaum 30 Sep 2012 18:22:59 2,228 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    But, if he can't go back to New York, why don't Amy and Rory just take a train to Boston or something? I'm not normally picky about plot holes, but it seems they could have thought of this!
  • Whizzo 30 Sep 2012 18:59:05 43,370 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He read the afterword, it said what happened to them and as far as the Doctor is concerned that's the matter settled, plus River would almost certainly have told him that letting lead a normal life with their memories was the best thing he could do.

Really enjoyed the episode not sure how the rest of Manhattan didn't notice the SoL going for a walk (they did in Ghostbusters 2...) but I'll ignore that and it ended up not actually happening anyway.

A good send off to Amy and Rory, if Moffat had gone the Adric route I'd have tracked him down and punched him! :-)

Edited by Whizzo at 18:59:54 30-09-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• captbirdseye 30 Sep 2012 19:11:36 5,470 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Er yes. Do keep up! Chrimbo special next, then the remainder of this series at some point next year.
    Sorry just lazy, which is what this half seaaon has been for me with just a random selection of episodes that have no overall arc. I'm guessing Moffat and co were interested in Sherlock this year?
  • Dan234 30 Sep 2012 20:43:38 2,235 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Um, if Rory's fate and the course of history were sealed after he read that tombstone, why could the tombstone change a few minutes later indicating that Rory lived with Amy meaning the course of history changed yet again?

If you easily could add Amy, you could just as easily bring back Rory, even if he had to leave New York in 1938 or wait in New York till 1939. I suppose they could have done any number of things to find the Doctor but they didn't because they've spent the whole series dropping hints about stopping travelling with him anyway, although they were talking about settling down in 2012, not in 1938.
  • Dan234 30 Sep 2012 20:44:33 2,235 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Sorry just lazy, which is what this half seaaon has been for me with just a random selection of episodes that have no overall arc. I'm guessing Moffat and co were interested in Sherlock this year?
    The arc was Rory and Amy leaving, you couldn't set that up and have something else running along in parallel at the same time.
  • captbirdseye 30 Sep 2012 20:56:02 5,470 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dan234 wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    mal wrote:
    The arc was Rory and Amy leaving, you couldn't set that up and have something else running along in parallel at the same time.
    Edited by captbirdseye at 20:58:54 30-09-2012
  • captbirdseye 30 Sep 2012 20:58:18 5,470 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dan234 wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    mal wrote:
    The arc was Rory and Amy leaving, you couldn't set that up and have something else running along in parallel at the same time
    But that arc only really got going in the cube ep and this should've been a whole season story rather than a few eps. Still miles better than anything Davies produced.
  • MatMan562 30 Sep 2012 21:40:06 2,615 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's still the whole "Doctor Who?" theme going with everybody forgetting who he is, the new companion arc was started in the first episode and i'm sure there's more, we just might not know about it yet.

• themanfromdelmonte 30 Sep 2012 21:54:17 595 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dan234 wrote:
    Um, if Rory's fate and the course of history were sealed after he read that tombstone, why could the tombstone change a few minutes later indicating that Rory lived with Amy meaning the course of history changed yet again?
    Once they'd seen the tombstone, Rory's fate was sealed. The date of his death were set in stone. It gave no information about how he lived his life, so that could change.
  • Bremenacht 30 Sep 2012 22:18:12 19,665 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A good ending.

Good as it was, I don't think they can drag the Angels out again.
  • Folant 30 Sep 2012 22:28:17 1,604 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Agree. No more Angels, at least not for a couple of seasons. They're "scary" again(Minus Statue of Liberty. good in theory, i guess, but no.) and should be left that way.

The enemy in the cube episode? That new or an old returner?

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Daryoon 30 Sep 2012 23:36:23 4,668 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I figured their fate was sealed the moment the Doctor read those chapter titles. He knew they'd be leaving him, and there was nothing he could do about it - hence why he threw such a tantrum (since the previous episode established he missed/needed them more than they missed/needed him).
  • Dan234 30 Sep 2012 23:59:41 2,235 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    themanfromdelmonte wrote:
    Once they'd seen the tombstone, Rory's fate was sealed. The date of his death were set in stone. It gave no information about how he lived his life, so that could change.
    Not being buried together then being buried together is a fairly big detail...

By the way, here's the prequel to The Asylum of the Daleks which shows how the message was given to the Doctor.

• Orange 1 Oct 2012 00:22:55 4,899 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As I understand it Karen Gillan is the only one who specifically said that she would not be coming back in any way after this episode. So wouldn't rule out a bit more Rory/Rory's Dad stuff in the future to tie it up a bit.
  • Darren 1 Oct 2012 01:08:29 9,081 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought this week's Doctor Who was the best of a mediocre batch but it still didn't really make much sense.

I was finally glad to see the back of the Ponds but admit that their final story was quite nicely done, at least as far as character moments go. Also the Angels were as creepy as ever.

Things I didn't like. Did we really have to see the obnoxious Professor Song again (and didn't anyone find it odd that there was no greeting between her and her parents; they barely even glanced at each other)? The story would have worked far better IMO with Brian's Dad. Also, while the Angels are definitely eerie because we never see them actually move, often the camera is looking directly at them but the characters aren't in which case we should be seeing them move. Careless direction me thinks. Finally, my biggest greviance with this story is that idea that the Ponds are trapped back in time and the Doctor cannot rescue or even visit them. Why? He has a time machine and a means of getting messages to them so why not arrange to have them fly to England in the 1950s or 1960s, whenever they were, and meet him there. Or have the Doctor land in another city where they aren't and fly/travel by car/bus/train to get the Ponds and bring them back?

The Angels are definitely terrifically sinister creations but the idea of zapping someone back in time in a series where the protagonist has a time vehicle is just not very clever or even emotional IMO. This story tried to explain why the Doctor could not go directly back to 1938 but it was isolated to one location. Why the Doctor didn't think to go to Chicago and catch a flight from there to New York, I'll never know. He's not very bright, is he? ;)

Edited by Darren at 01:10:25 01-10-2012

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• mal 1 Oct 2012 01:54:24 22,842 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Where the hell did these prequels come from? I've only just caught up with Pond Life. Ah, for the days when you could just watch Dr Who once a week. Now it seems you have to be wired into the BBC just to keep up with it!

• Blerk Moderator 1 Oct 2012 08:56:51 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not a bad episode, although like others I'm getting slightly miffed with the inconsistent application of the laws of time.

Back in the old days you knew where you were - you couldn't intersect/interfere with your own timeline and that was that. These days they seem to change their minds depending on the situation at hand.

Personally I'm all for returning to a more 'strict' approach, and hopefully this is the start of that, despite the repercussions spelling the end of the line for the lovely Ms Pond.
  • GiarcYekrub 1 Oct 2012 11:32:35 3,896 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems straight forward to me they created one paradox to escape the first time which almost destroyed NYC a second paradox in the same location is very bad I don't think the fact the TARDIS can't land is a reason they are separated rather explicitly stated how fragile the fabric of space time in NYC has become

Edited by GiarcYekrub at 11:33:18 01-10-2012
  • Bremenacht 1 Oct 2012 12:45:54 19,665 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    W W T W

Edited by Bremenacht at 12:46:10 01-10-2012
  • faux-C 1 Oct 2012 13:41:06 9,643 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    stephenb wrote:
    My daughter(9) cried her eyes out at last nights episode.
    Impressionable child.
    I cried my eyes out too and I'm 26...
  • Page

of 407 First / Last