The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 313

• Page

of 375 First / Last

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 17 Sep 2012 11:59:08 10,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like Murray Gold.

Yes, I agree that his OTT orchestral bits where some action is happening are very offputting and his over-reliance on melodramatic pieces to force people's emotions.

Having said that, he has produced some masterstrokes: The Girls Behind The Fireplace and The Eleventh Hour being two of my favourites.

Again, this programme is made for family/children who don't have the same emotional maturity of most of the people in this thread. Watch any other children's TV series and its pretty much the same.
  • Machetazo 17 Sep 2012 12:17:50 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yupyup wrote:
    Possibly the most boring episode of Who since the reboot.
    Blandness washed over it like a flood. It was pretty bad to sit through. "so, did anything actually happen?" yeah.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2012 12:31:57
    I quite liked this episode. I think mainly because the trailer was so bad i was expecting a really bad hour of tv. But i liked the areas of grey in it regarding the two doctors. Last time i checked CBBC tv shows didn't have ideas of mass genoicide and creating machines to end the war early ideas. Not a who classic, but i was never bored by it, got more into it than last weeks one.
  • FalseAlibi 17 Sep 2012 12:56:49 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quite surprised by the negativity to this episode - I thought it was definitely one of the better ones!

simple plot with well spaced reveals. suitable level of gravitas. no silly screaming or excess running around (and what running existed had logical urgency). the whole world not being in jeopardy. no over relience on sonics or time-travel (I love the Moffatt chronologically convoluted eps, but this was a breath of fresh air). just all good really!
  • dsmx 17 Sep 2012 13:09:47 7,563 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's certainly a more grown up plot if that's the right term then most of the Dr Who episodes we've had in regards to morality. They probably should of gone a bit further with it but it was nice not having something that wasn't good v evil.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• TOOTR 17 Sep 2012 18:56:06 9,498 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Apparently, next week's episode is the first episode since Blink to not feature the Doctor as a main character... last nights preview suggests its going to be a Amy and Rory centric episode... hmm...
    Wow I'd completely forgot about the awesome and hot protagonist in Blink. Can we have her as a companion please?

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TOOTR 17 Sep 2012 18:58:27 9,498 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wonder how many parents had to field kids questions about suicide at the end of this ep?

• X201 17 Sep 2012 23:27:59 15,157 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Apparently, next week's episode is the first episode since Blink to not feature the Doctor as a main character... last nights preview suggests its going to be a Amy and Rory centric episode... hmm...
    Wow I'd completely forgot about the awesome and hot protagonist in Blink. Can we have her as a companion please?
    I think Carey Mulligan's fee may have gone above Doctor Who budget levels since Blink.
  • MatMan562 17 Sep 2012 23:40:43 2,317 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Does anyone think that there is anything in the whole Alaska ship in the first episode and Indian Space Agency in the second? I didn't notice anything in the third though. Also, they never seem to be saying what year it is, at least not that i've noticed, and thats usually something they mention briefly at least. I'm thinking something along the lines of this universe is advancing quicker than others (perhaps even the one from the RTD era with the human doctor and Rose), everybody forgetting the Doctor meaning the threat from extra terrestrial life is more apparent to them so the space race is more important or, more than likely, absolutely nothing at all and i'm looking far too much in to it, but you know what the Doctor said, "never ignore a coincidence... unless you're busy" and i'm not.

Anyway, I enjoyed the latest episode but felt it could have done with a bit more substance, I usually want to re-watch episodes but I don't really feel like it this time. Watching the Doctor deal wth the morally grey area was relatively interesting though.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• disusedgenius 17 Sep 2012 23:54:53 5,229 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    I think Carey Mulligan's fee may have gone above Doctor Who budget levels since Blink.
    Not to mention a few award-winning films.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Sep 2012 23:59:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Overall I thought this was weaker than the last two episodes, the story seemed more designed to parallel the doctor and show his new semi-dalek status (or whatever it is leading to!). Not as many good lines either, apart from the line about protecting peace.

Not bad, just not as good.
  • TOOTR 18 Sep 2012 03:21:30 9,498 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    [

man I'm off the ball. Didn't recognize Sallly Sparrow in Drive (although she did seem v familiar)!!

Also whilst scrolling through her roles on IMDB it came as a bit of a shock that Blink is 5 years old!

/does some advanced calculations

That's half a decade ago already!

Timey wimey stuff indeed.

• Scimarad 18 Sep 2012 06:44:48 8,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    Man I'm off the ball. Didn't recognize Sallly Sparrow in Drive (although she did seem v familiar)!!
    Me too! I am actually shocked!!
  • Folant 18 Sep 2012 07:52:48 1,161 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Also, they never seem to be saying what year it is, at least not that i've noticed, and thats usually something they mention briefly at least.
    The Doctor comments that the electric lights are about 10 years too early. Put the episode around 1870-ish. Give or take.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• MatMan562 18 Sep 2012 14:55:13 2,317 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ahh yes, you're right, he did. But then perhaps he already knows and it's 10 years out from that timeline...

• TOOTR 18 Sep 2012 20:11:16 9,498 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Scimarad I know! Why have people not drawn more attention to this so I don't feel so foolish eh? :)

• mal 22 Sep 2012 20:23:39 22,341 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wheee! Rather a lot of plot holes there, but I still enjoyed that. Also, UNIT!

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MatMan562 22 Sep 2012 20:28:34 2,317 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Although I enjoyed it, I felt like the end was a bit crap. It was as though the writer knerw he had a good idea but couldn't work out how to finish it. Either that or it's the set-up for a future episode/ something else.

Next week should be a good one though!

• Ginger 22 Sep 2012 20:39:07 6,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, was going along nicely and then just kind of finished.

London open taekwondo champion

• Instinct 22 Sep 2012 20:51:44 1,055 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surprised people enjoyed this one, thought it was very amateur. Random girl at hospital, random wormhole at the hospital, silly enemies, silly Tally, bizarre montages of the Doctor and the companions.

The whole de fibrillation thing was nonsensical. Worst episode since the girl in the cupboard/Olympics thing from a few years back IMO.
  • Psychotext 22 Sep 2012 21:06:34 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So then... what's that, 15 minutes without a pulse? (Being generous, they needed to get from the tower to the hospital too)

Looks like 1/3rd of the planet now has brain damage.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2012 21:25:09
    The ending was pants. It was blatant two part episodes that cut between 55mins and 115mins...
  • faux_carnation 22 Sep 2012 22:04:06 9,091 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone's just pointed out that in a previous episode the Doctor mentioned Rory leaving his phone charger in Henry VIII's bedroom, and this week, they were in Henry VIII's bedroom.

Boatmurdered FC

• Bremenacht 22 Sep 2012 23:58:07 17,614 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thoroughly enjoyed that.
  • Spong 23 Sep 2012 01:10:05 525 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Strange episode. It started off well with the weird cubes that even the Doctor couldn't fathom out, then it kicked off, only for the Doctor to solve it all just by waving his sonic screwdriver at a monitor. Okay, so a third of the population was supposedly dead, but it seemed like there was no jeopardy and no real climax.
  • mal 23 Sep 2012 01:40:46 22,341 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, even I'm getting annoyed with the sonic screwdriver now. Still, I can forgive that episode for all the other good bits.

Next episode's another Moffat one isn't it? He needs to redeem himself now in my book.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• GiarcYekrub 23 Sep 2012 08:43:51 3,665 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Yeah, even I'm getting annoyed with the sonic screwdriver now. Still, I can forgive that episode for all the other good bits.

Next episode's another Moffat one isn't it? He needs to redeem himself now in my book.
    Eh? Has there been a bad Moffat story I missed?
  • RobAnybody 23 Sep 2012 09:22:47 884 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    mal wrote:

Eh? Has there been a bad Moffat story I missed?
    Yeah, every single one from season 6 onwards.
  • nickthegun 23 Sep 2012 09:26:36 58,907 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It did feel like a two parter. With five minutes left you dont really expect an enemy so ancient and powerful the timelords used them in stories to scare children to leave the doctor alone in an empty ship that can be destroyed with a few waves of the sonic screwdriver.

Also, when the plot is explained even a child would think 'thats a stupid plan, just carpet bomb the earth with anthrax'

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• King_Edward 23 Sep 2012 09:29:47 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it just me or is this series proper shit?
  • Page

of 375 First / Last