of 10 First / Last

• pinebear 20 Oct 2008 20:49:24 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you the God Hand?

• jellyhead 17 Apr 2009 21:02:48 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kind of. The better you play, getting combos and special moves etc, the higher the meter goes until it hits "Die!" but the rewards are greater. If you get hit then the meter goes down, it's not as bad as it seems. Honestly, it works really well and doesn't detract from the game it actually adds to it.

Hard... but fair :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Obiwanshinobi 17 Apr 2009 21:03:39 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heck, don't think about it, just play it for goodness' sake! Thinking is overrated. Play on easy if necessary. This game is pure genius, next to Gradius V in "games designed to be played" category.
    P.S. Yes, God Hand is mental, but its system makes perfect sense. As transparent and fair as you can get in 3D.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2009 15:28:00
    Except there are a couple sections longer than any other before being able to save, but then I reckon this is all intentional as you have other sections where you can save after walking from one door to another.

Loved the way they spoof Capcom games old and new alike, especially Devil May Cry 3, guitar mini boss and several areas are clearly based on it.
  • jellyhead 18 Apr 2009 15:30:36 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love the way the enemies are dancing and swaying to the music until they see you. If you clip the camera through walls you can see them, it really adds an extra bit of whimsy to the game. I'm shit at the game but i love it dearly :)

• Ryze 18 Apr 2009 22:13:41 3,124 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DEFINITELY got to get hold of this now.

Anyone tried it on the EU 60Gb PS3?
  • Deleted user 19 April 2009 00:01:49
    I found it much easier on normal than easy. I have no idea why.
  • Metallicus 19 Apr 2009 00:28:46 60 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Really struggled against Elvis on easy, think I'm gonna give up now as it's only going to get worse from here /o\

Don't give up! I spent ages on the first level and almost a day on Elvis and didn't manage it after all. What I realized though was that this was because I had made the mistake of saving the game and going into the boss fight with not enough energy or orbs which made him impossible to beat. So I just restarted the game (didn't mind as it was so much fun and I was much better at it this time around) and played each part of the stage over and over again until I finished it with full energy and plenty of orbs. Then I saved and moved on to the next part. If you do that then you'll reach Elvis well equipped and he won't be that difficult to beat as long as you lower your level using the *Grovel* special move.

And since you are wondering it strangely get easier from then on and that's not because the enemies are any easier but because you understand better how it all works...

Just finished it a few hours ago actually. Took me 15 sessions and a total time of 14+ hours. Didn't use any continues though so it must have taken at least twice that...Don't remember the last time that I had so much fun though. And yes it was a difficult game but Viewtiful Joe for example was much, much harder. Maybe I was missing something...
  • lavalant 19 Apr 2009 06:52:12 1,317 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IGN gave this game 3/10, I still don't understand why review websites admit they are wrong and adjust scores accordingly, perhaps they actually believe they were right but I doubt any informed person reads IGN for their opinions.

It was only videogaiden's review on youtube that gave this game the praise it deserves.
  • Load_2.0 19 Apr 2009 09:49:13 19,281 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right, after 6 months in the cupboard the PS2 is getting a call up! I freaking love this game. Might even get round to playing the 5-6 other unopened PS2 games while I am at it.
  • CaoSlayer 19 Apr 2009 11:14:24 1 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Really struggled against Elvis on easy, think I'm gonna give up now as it's only going to get worse from here /o\

It gets easier and easier.

Not only you get a better understanding of the enemies but also you get to buy new moves and those of them really can make the game a walk by the park.

My advice is to use less the normal combo and more special moves that launch and so, the first stage of level 2 includes a great charge punch that if you time it well, ruins all normal enemies day.
  • President_Weasel 19 Apr 2009 12:25:54 9,336 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a great game, and I recommend you keep on with it.
    Work on your combos so there isn't a "hole" where your enemies get to hit you, and try to get ones that end up with a juggle and a launch moves. Couple of quick punches, a stun move, a couple more quick punches, a juggle, and a launchy type kick. All with one button.
    And you can buy better moves to put into your combo as you go through the game.

This game was sadly misunderstood by pretty much everyone when it came out. There's a hell of a lot of depth to it, but not enough surface fripperies to please the reviewers. Shinier games with a tenth of the depth and a twentieth of the sense of humour reviewed and sold far better.
  • Obiwanshinobi 19 Apr 2009 17:20:55 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's a good reason why arenas are so vast. Sometimes running all over the place and ramming into enemies works better than trying to act like a boxer.
  • Super_Zee 19 Apr 2009 17:36:11 2,110 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Uggh, cheers... I'll carry on then, but the 'three death rule' will be in place, if I die more than 3 times on a certain bit I'm stopping :p
    You may as well stop now then, there's plenty of places where this is going to whip you three times. But that's part of it - it forces you to examine your combo selection until it suddenly "clicks" and you become a dancing, punching tool of doom.

God Hand is one of the greatest PS2 moments. Don't give up on it yet.
  • jellyhead 19 Apr 2009 17:40:27 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's blizeH, he never finishes games ;)

• Deleted user 22 April 2009 10:42:27
    Shame, the whole "agh fuck you," moment is quickly followed by having another go and soon enough you're fist pumping screaming "oh yeaaah eat that," and worrying all those aorund you. It is all part of the charm of the game.

I completed it on normal (love the end theme) and I generally suck at games, had to play Viewitful Joe on easy due to all the previous bosses being reused with no saves before the next one, and still struggled near the end, there isn't anything too harsh like that here.

It also isn't much harder at the beginning than it is at the end like Devil May Cry 3, God Hand has a decent curve just a case of mastering those ducks and setting up a good quick combo that you can interrupt with guard breaks and launches on the other buttons to get yourself past blocks and avoid counters..

Oh and second time round you get even better moves, so you can get revenge and beat the stuffing out of everyone!
  • Charlie_Miso 1 May 2009 02:02:18 1,191 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played an hour last night.

Em. Ouch. This is not easy.
  • ripsa 1 May 2009 03:43:20 288 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is such a great game. It was criminally misreviewed. It's one of those cult games that gets huge love on-line but I thought might actually be shit. But no it is awesome. It totally brought back the over-the-top joys of 2.5D beat-ups from my youth like Final Fight and Streets of Rage, and took it up to 11 in a 3D environment. Well worth hunting for on eBay or in used game bins.
  • pinebear 16 Aug 2009 20:42:54 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lavalant wrote:
    IGN gave this game 3/10, I still don't understand why review websites admit they are wrong and adjust scores accordingly, perhaps they actually believe they were right but I doubt any informed person reads IGN for their opinions.

It was only videogaiden's review on youtube that gave this game the praise it deserves.

Gaming perfection! Rock hard but you love it so!

I was going to post that very link, lavalant, but you got there first - nice. Instead:
    Level 1 Playthrough on "Die" difficulty. You're the God Hand?

• lavalant 17 Aug 2009 08:46:11 1,317 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If a stupid pothead with barely enough time spent enjoying this game like me can do it on Level-Die, I have no idea what is wrong with certain people who's job it is to inform the gaming public nice.

so true, the game isn't easy, but it isn't hard and certainly not cheap like say elements of Ninja Gaiden. The only bad thing about the game is the music, I'd like to be able to turn it off and stick on some yakuza soundtrack.
  • spindle9988 19 Oct 2009 14:39:19 3,590 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ace Grace wrote:
    Just god hold of this. Love it.

Enjoy
  • sargulesh 19 Oct 2009 14:49:59 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bought God Hand for 2 a couple of weeks ago... Psyched to start playing, after watching the VG review.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last