Registered 13 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    /Remembers the first ever version of MAME

:D
    What about Sparcade? :-)
  • Retroid Moderator 10 Apr 2006 09:41:15 44,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have Sparcade installed on my P150 laptop - along with Retrocade, HAZE and m72 :)
  • Retroid Moderator 10 Apr 2006 10:40:12 44,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just out of curiosity - did any of you buggers read my old Retrogaming News posts but just not comment on them?
  • SpaceDave3000 10 Apr 2006 10:44:52 78,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Erm.

I must have missed them :/

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Retroid Moderator 10 Apr 2006 10:48:31 44,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /Hangs self

Just put "retrogaming news" in the search bar.

Yes! It actually works in this instance! :D
  • StixxUK 10 Apr 2006 10:50:40 7,263 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is playing PSone games off the original discs on your pc legal or illegal in this country?

None of this grey area nonsense please.
  • Retroid Moderator 10 Apr 2006 10:53:38 44,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it's off your original CDs then I'd say it's fine. It's the legitimacy of the software they're most worried about, after all.

Only a wanky corporate lawyer would argue with that :)
  • Tiger_Walts 10 Apr 2006 10:53:48 16,607 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Not read the whole thing yet but a fantastic post, good work db!

May I nominate pSX Emulator though as a userfriendly PS1 emulator?
    I have less problems with this over ePSXe. Plus I can map an XBOX pad to this fully. Whereas I have problems with the available ePSXe plugins.

ePSXe also has problems playing video at the correct speed, pSX is fine.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• SpaceDave3000 10 Apr 2006 10:54:56 78,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, that explains it, I'd stopped posting around that time because of work and stuff.

It's actualy quite disapointing that it's only us old farts that are interested in playing games that are older than most of te people who post here. hence me only putting recentish stuff into this thread.

One mention of C64s and Speccys and people eyes glaze over :|

/reads

• silentbob 10 Apr 2006 10:58:22 28,992 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Ah, that explains it, I'd stopped posting around that time because of work and stuff.

It's actualy quite disapointing that it's only us old farts that are interested in playing games that are older than most of te people who post here. hence me only putting recentish stuff into this thread.

One mention of C64s and Speccys and people eyes glaze over :|

/reads
    Yer I missed those too Retroid - sorry - similar reasons probably too. :/

And you can't really expect the youngun's to be too interested when the biggest part of getting into emulation is recapturing fond memories of when they appeared the first time around.

And Furbs - SHUT UP!! You're depressing me. :)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Retroid Moderator 10 Apr 2006 11:00:13 44,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Theres people here who werent even born when Last Ninja came out.
    I know - I find that quite scary o_o

I might start to do my Retrogaming News posts again; only stopped because it seemed like a lot of effort for only one or two comments most of the time :s

It's a bit scary when I'll be pissing about on my Ngage when I'm at my inlaws and at least one sister-in-law wasn't even born when most of the games I have installed were written :S
  • Deleted user 10 April 2006 11:00:47
    The only issue I have with pSX is that it's a bit dodgy with PAL games sometimes and lack of plugin support means no advanced graphics features, so it doesn't look as good as ePSXe. Brilliant for newcomers, but anyone who's used to tweaking emus and knows plugins, stick to ePSXe. ePSXe is slightly faster as well.
  • StixxUK 10 Apr 2006 11:00:54 7,263 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, I played on a spectrum alright, it's just that I really wouldn't want to go back and play any of the games now, because they all sucked.

Retro for me is my yearly playthrough of Monkey Island 1 and 2, topped with a bit of Sonic the Hedgehog and some C&C.

Then I go back to my nice, modern RPGs :)
  • StixxUK 10 Apr 2006 11:01:52 7,263 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ooh. Question for the PSX emumaestros while I'm here.

I was wondering if it's possible, via the wonders of emulation, to play your PAL games at full NTSC speed...
  • Deleted user 10 April 2006 11:02:38
    StixxUK wrote:
    Oh, I played on a spectrum alright, it's just that I really wouldn't want to go back and play any of the games now, because they all sucked.

Heathen. Dead inside. Nazi. Etc.

All aimed squarely at you.

>:(
  • souljah 10 Apr 2006 11:05:12 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    I was thinking about this the other day - almost considered a thread. Theres people here who werent even born when Last Ninja came out.

/somersault forward onto rock
    /turn left
    /walk off rock into lava
    /weep

Edited by souljah at 11:05:08 10-04-2006
  • Retroid Moderator 10 Apr 2006 11:09:53 44,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

I was wondering if it's possible, via the wonders of emulation, to play your PAL games at full NTSC speed...
    There are ways to patch the ISO image with either a C64/Amiga stylee cracker's intro which would usually give that option or just a straight-forward hack to switch the video mode

Looksie

Old classics DO hold up remarkably well, as demonstrated on my Ngage. Anyone who thinks games are automatically crap from pre 1990 is Dead Inside :p
  • SpaceDave3000 10 Apr 2006 11:31:21 78,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

That's a good quiestion.

It would probably be down to the graphics plugin you'd use, sync to monitor refresh rate perhaps. Allthough thinking about it, I think it'll play according to the speed set by the region. So if you chose US or Japan, it would run at 60 frames (not that any games ran that fast on the original hardware).

• Retroid Moderator 10 Apr 2006 11:34:43 44,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oi, read my post! ;p

Simply upping the framerate doesn't work in my experience, it had to be 'booted' into the mode you want, usually via a patch :)
  • Kay 10 Apr 2006 11:35:06 17,918 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's also probably worth mentioning the PC Engine emulator - Magic Engine. Some great games on that machine.

K
  • Deleted user 10 April 2006 11:36:43
    Is Magic Engine still shareware? I remember earlier versions of the software needed an unlock code, anyway.
  • SpaceDave3000 10 Apr 2006 11:37:17 78,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I worship the PC Engine for it's shmup greatness, but if you're going to suggest stuff, at least provide a link :p

• Kay 10 Apr 2006 11:39:21 17,918 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, alrighty then. Magic Engine

I don't have the code for the latest version, but I have the full 0.99 version which works perfectly anyway.

K
  • Retroid Moderator 10 Apr 2006 11:41:48 44,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Oh, alrighty then. Magic Engine

I don't have the code for the latest version, but I have the full 0.99 version which works perfectly anyway.

K
    Codes for shareware software are bad, mmmmmmkay...?

The real PC Engine is all the more impressive for its size :)
  • SpaceDave3000 10 Apr 2006 21:55:43 78,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Losty!

Don't spose you know what happens to the save games in Cassini do you? It wipes it to make way for another and is beginning to piss me off. I'd like to be able to back them up.

• silentbob 10 Apr 2006 22:05:51 28,992 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    If it's off your original CDs then I'd say it's fine. It's the legitimacy of the software they're most worried about, after all.

Only a wanky corporate lawyer would argue with that :)
    Well not really - as you need the boot ROMs for it to run. Unless there are freeware versions now. I remember sony getting all shirty about it some time ago.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• lost_soul 10 Apr 2006 22:15:39 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Losty!

Don't spose you know what happens to the save games in Cassini do you? It wipes it to make way for another and is beginning to piss me off. I'd like to be able to back them up.

No idea, mate.

I presume that disabling the "Clear Saturn memory automaticly" option under the config tab doesn't do anything for you?
  • lost_soul 10 Apr 2006 22:31:46 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Might be worth adding this to the Playstation emulator section.
  • Retroid Moderator 10 Apr 2006 22:54:26 44,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Well not really - as you need the boot ROMs for it to run. Unless there are freeware versions now. I remember sony getting all shirty about it some time ago.
    See: wanky lawyers ;)

So far as I'm concerned if the software is original they can shove all of that up their corporate backsides :)
  • lost_soul 10 Apr 2006 22:57:57 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A quick point about SSF, you need a CPU that has SSE2 (or was it SSE3?) instruction set support to get it to run. I think it may work on Athlon 64s, but an Athlon XP ain't good enough :-(
  • Page

of 17 First / Last