Shadow of Colossus PAL Page 21

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• StixxUK 4 Mar 2006 21:46:13 7,255 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On the last one now and it's a reet bastard. Very atmospheric, though. My favourite was number 13 :D

Hopefully should crack this tonight and then I can concentrate on getting through Vampire...
  • ProfessorLesser 5 Mar 2006 00:08:44 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    #16 was easy :-(

Great though.
  • oneiros 6 Mar 2006 09:13:47 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished last night and yes, #16 wasn't the hardest - once I'd worked out how to get from his second hand. /grrr
  • Jordinho 6 Mar 2006 10:31:12 4 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Firstly, I'd like to say that ICO was, and still is, the best game I have played in a long time if not all-time. When I heard that there was going to be an 'ICO 2' I was truly overjoyed. Unfortunatley though, I have to disagree with the majority of the people on this one in that I'm VERY disappointed with SotC. I feel that I have wasted 30 quid on what is essentially a game of 'BOSSES'. Personally, bosses are my least favourite part of all games. I like to follow a storyline and solve puzzles and get totally immersed in the game and atmosphere (ICO 1), I don't like getting interrupted by bosses, don't get me wrong I can handle bosses, but for me, they just ruin the gameplay. I was expecting something along the lines of ICO 1.

I find the camera really poor, certainly not up to the level it was in ICO 1. This is simply a good game. Where I would give ICO 1 a 10, I agree with Tom and give this an 8.

Technically this game seems to be put together well and on the strength of ICO 1 I will endevour to finish it, but I fear it won't be my cup of tea.
  • oneiros 6 Mar 2006 10:45:16 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Normally I'd agree with you about bosses ruining a game, but when they *are* the game, it's a little different. I'm also surprised you didn't realise this before you bought SotC; most of the previews I read were quite clear about the nature of the game.

Where SotC does fall down in my opinion is technically; the popup, LoDing and stuttering framerate are a little annoying and point to a game that pushes the aging PS2 as far as it can possible go. Still, for me it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had (not played Ico yet - have a brand new copy waiting to be played) and one I look forward to returning to.
  • driptray 6 Mar 2006 11:09:17 368 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is definately a marmite game. A friend of mine lent me his, describing it as "shit camera, annoying bosses, shit game".

My expectations suitably lowered I played it and think it's one of the best games I've ever played! I think those who see the game a "just" a series of bosses simply haven't been captured by the environment the game puts you in (and there's nothing wrong with that: some games grab you, some don't).

I've spent hours just horsing (forgive the pun) around exploring the world. It's beautiful! I think it's one of the few genuinely cinematic games I've played.

From a gameplay point of view, I love the way the colossi work as moving puzzles. That feeling of working out how to deal with them is brilliant. And the satisfaction of climbing on them, holding on for grim life and then conquering them is total.

• oneiros 6 Mar 2006 11:16:49 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Did anyone figure out how to get the sticker off without ruining the box yet ? :)
    oneiros wrote:
    No! I'm currently in discussion with SCEE's helpline about getting a replacement.
    oneiros wrote:
    Just got a callback from SCEE and they've tried removing the sticker from their stock copies and agree it cannot be done cleanly. So they're escalating the incident to head office and will call me back again.
    Just an update; got another callback on Friday and SCE UK have said if I return the packaging to them they'll send me a new one. Which I have done.

So there you are; if you can be arsed, Sony will probably, eventually, replace your sticky SotC box.

Edited by oneiros at 11:18:03 06-03-2006
  • Decoded 6 Mar 2006 11:23:55 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    driptray wrote:
    I think those who see the game a "just" a series of bosses simply haven't been captured by the environment the game puts you in (and there's nothing wrong with that: some games grab you, some don't).
    That's far too reasonable a comment, with nowhere near enough fanboy vitriol. What's this thread coming to?!
  • Dr-Strangelove 6 Mar 2006 12:07:29 2,130 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decoded wrote:
    driptray wrote:
    I think those who see the game a "just" a series of bosses simply haven't been captured by the environment the game puts you in (and there's nothing wrong with that: some games grab you, some don't).
    That's far too reasonable a comment, with nowhere near enough fanboy vitriol. What's this thread coming to?!
    /wades in

Blasphemers!! All ye heathen that don't "gets" the game can DIE... RAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Unl3a5H thy L3g1on 0f C0ll055i!!!!111!!1

/sits down

/wipes brow with hankie

So... Where were we?
  • ProfessorLesser 6 Mar 2006 16:54:26 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oneiros wrote:
    (not played Ico yet - have a brand new copy waiting to be played)
    Wish I'd played SotC first :-(

ICO is far superior, and put too much of a downer on my SotC romp when I realised that it just wasn't as good. Obviously they're not the same game, but they employ the same 'hook', and ICO wins by a mile.
  • Jordinho 8 Mar 2006 22:12:20 4 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK, done the second one but I'm finding it EXTREMELY difficult to jump across the gap onto the third. Every time I push the stick away from the pillar and jump he doesn't go far enough and falls into the water and after reapeating this 5 times and checking the FAQ to make sure I have not missed something obvious; I'm nearly at the point of giving up...

ARGGHHH!

(It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so bloody far to try again)
  • Stormflood_UK 8 Mar 2006 22:19:38 150 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Took me a while to realise the jump button is pressure sensitive!
  • mrharvest 8 Mar 2006 22:29:28 5,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But it isn't? How far you jump depends on how long you charge your jumps.
  • Jordinho 10 Mar 2006 08:42:49 4 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks! :)

I didn't realise the jumps were charged, I guess its a case of RTFM...

I'm starting to enjoy this more now, I've got over the initial shock of expecting another ICO, in fact, this has absolutley nothing to do with ICO as far as I can see.

Roll on #4
  • Dr-Strangelove 10 Mar 2006 09:31:14 2,130 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Number 3 was a beauty was it not?

That was the first one that gave me a real challenge, loved it when I figured out what to do. Have revisited it many times....

And yeah, I still haven't found the time to finish it! Still on the last colossus....
  • StixxUK 10 Mar 2006 10:11:26 7,255 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That last one is a pain in the arse. I couldn't figure out what to do after I......

No spoilers here ;)
  • boo 10 Mar 2006 10:25:38 11,781 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally got to start this last night.
    Looks beautiful in 37" humungovision. When you see the feet of #1 for the first time, and you realise just how big these things actually are.

Spent a while hacking at the knee of #1 and got squashed a few times.

This is going to take me ages...

Just Another Lego Blog

• Dr-Strangelove 10 Mar 2006 10:34:51 2,130 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    That last one is a pain in the arse. I couldn't figure out what to do after I......

No spoilers here ;)
    Don't you DaRe!!!!!

boo wrote:
    This is going to take me ages...
    Let it, it's the best way to play it.

I won't evangelise how good pleasure delaying this game is or how you should spend as much time on each collosi as you'd want to give.

But then if your a gamer who likes to get things over and done with then maybe that doesn't apply to you (gamers in general, not you boo)...
  • boo 15 Mar 2006 07:32:27 11,781 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had another crack at this last night and finally defeated No. 1 after 59 m 56s...
    This is going to take me ages!

The climbing all seems a bit... random. Sometimes I'd still be on his knee when the grip ran out, other times I'd make it up to the platform in seconds.

Maybe it gets easier.

First impressions - not a patch on Ico, but I'll give it time.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Dr-Strangelove 15 Mar 2006 08:04:20 2,130 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm trying to think if you are doing anything wrong but I don't think that you are.

They do take some time, sometimes its trying to figure them out. Other times you keep getting knocked off or it takes a while before you can jump from one part to the next. Always try and recharge your grip when you get a moment, generally on a flat piece of the colossi and when there's a lull in his movements.

The climbing might seem random as when the colossi move you get swung about. You can generally only climb them when you've got "all fours" on them, anything less and it's time to hold on tight! You can also shimmy if your grabbing them with just your hands and your legs are dangling...

I'm sure the first one took me just as long, if not longer. ;)
  • thefilthandthefury 15 Mar 2006 08:06:44 25,017 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Had another crack at this last night and finally defeated No. 1 after 59 m 56s...

Umm... really, how did it take that long? I don't want to be rude but... god damn.
  • Dr.Haggard 15 Mar 2006 08:55:46 4,205 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There must be something you're not doing right boo, even on my first attempt at that Colossus in the demo it only took a few minutes.

*Colossus #1 spoilers follow*

So you start off by jumping on to his ankle and hanging on, right? Then you're stabbing his calf so he kneels down and you can stand up and leap onto his thigh? From that point it's plain sailing. Get to the first platform on his back and kneel down so you don't fall off, and let your grip meter refill. Then just climb up his back - refilling your grip meter if you need to by letting go for a short time when you reach his shoulders - and onto his head. Holding in R1 as if your life depended on it, hit the vital spot with fully charged stabs (watch the grip meter to see when it's fully charged) whenever he stops moving around.

Edit: sorry, thanks Doc :)

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 10:18:02 15-03-2006
  • Dr-Strangelove 15 Mar 2006 09:04:03 2,130 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Teh Sp0iL3rs Dr!!! ;p
  • oneiros 15 Mar 2006 09:06:42 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've gone back and revisited a few of the early colossi in Time Attack mode, and I was quite shocked how little grip I had compared to when I completed the game. My advice Boo, would be to go grab yourself a lizardtail lunch...

Oh, and I finished Ico for the first time last night; still trying to work out which I preferred; both are wonderful games.

Edited by oneiros at 09:07:56 15-03-2006
  • Flightrisker 15 Mar 2006 09:37:55 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Refusing to read any of the comments here for fear of teh spoilerzzz but the other night I found out by complete fluke the "thing" you can do with the birds (awaits obvious sex jokes). Twas amazing.
  • Dr-Strangelove 15 Mar 2006 10:32:56 2,130 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Your name gives the activity a sense of irony Flightrisker...
  • boo 15 Mar 2006 10:52:39 11,781 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice chaps.

I think the cumulative time includes all the restarts, several of which I failed due to having a conversation about cutlery designs at the same time.

Dr Strangelove wrote:
    You can generally only climb them when you've got "all fours" on them, anything less and it's time to hold on tight!

That'll help - I was just grabbing his knee and getting flung about. I'd usually lost half my grip before I'd even started stabbing the knee, and then when he finally did lie down I'd be hammering triangle like mad and going nowhere.
    He'd get up, I'd fall off.
    Restart.

The last 3 or 4 attempts I was actually getting quite quick at getting to the shoulders.

I'm just a bit crap at games I think :o)

Edit - so much for feeling sorry for them though. I might have had some pity, right up until he splatted me with a club the size of a truck.

After that?

It's hammerin' time!

Edited by boo at 10:55:35 15-03-2006

Just Another Lego Blog

• gamerbunny 16 Mar 2006 06:03:32 101 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now this wont be new to you guys but SotC only just got launched in NZ last week and Ive been DYING to playing it.
    And in 2 days im up to the 7th colssi and all I can say so far is..... Amazing. Just amazing. How did sony pull it off. The story, the graphics, the gameplay. Its so good. To good to be true. Thank you Sony!!!!!!
  • Deleted user 3 April 2006 13:09:23
    I don't want to go through the whole thread in case I see stuff I don't want to see, so can someone kindly let me know with a couple of gentle 'suggestions' as opposed outright answers, do the basic black lizards do anything for you, and is there anything else to be found other than the white lizard tails and the fruit that is of benefit to you?
  • EatLessMoveMore 3 Apr 2006 13:21:36 126 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    and is there anything else to be found other than the white lizard tails and the fruit that is of benefit to you?
    Fruit? OMG - I'm going to have to hunt all around the damn map again :(

Oh, and can you shoot the birds out of the sky, as in some places they do kind of buzz round you in an enticing way...
  • Page

of 22 First / Last