Running Page 30

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• AccidentProne 16 Mar 2013 18:02:50 1,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    17 miles done, I'm getting there. The gels definitely helped. Last time I did a long run I felt absolutely horrible afterwards, completely drained and sick. Now I can just concentrate on how sore my legs are.

Should probably set the foam roller on my ITB. This is going to hurt...
  • Vortex808 16 Mar 2013 19:27:33 7,043 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:

I think our plans for the early evening are fairly similar. My foam roller will be broken out soon too.
  • SaucyGeoff 17 Mar 2013 12:11:01 2,564 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good work AP. I'm about to head off for 16 miles. Bit nervous about using gels for the first time. Taking precautionary toilet paper in my pocket!!
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2013 12:15:28 23,705 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha good luck with the gels! I find I'm much better now after getting used to them. I took the odd one mid week even when I wasn't running just to make sure.

Heading off for a 17 miler in a bit, scared...

We're celebrating 75 years of Batman - and here's my look back at Rocksteady's Arkham series.

• craigy Staff 17 Mar 2013 12:29:17 7,566 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You guys make me feel like a right noob with my paltry three-milers.
  • Vortex808 17 Mar 2013 13:04:56 7,043 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    You guys make me feel like a right noob with my paltry three-milers.
    Give it time craigy, you'll be entering all the local 10k's in no time!
  • SaucyGeoff 18 Mar 2013 10:33:43 2,564 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reasonable run yesterday, gels certainly helped and toiltet roll unused. Feel surpisingly unbroken today. Middle 3rd run at target marathon pace. Longest run I've ever done, feeling pretty pleased with myself.
  • pistol 18 Mar 2013 15:15:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    17 miles done, I'm getting there. The gels definitely helped. Last time I did a long run I felt absolutely horrible afterwards, completely drained and sick. Now I can just concentrate on how sore my legs are.

Well done, and glad to hear the gels are helping. They're not to everyone's taste but they're a great way of getting carbs into you quickly without putting stress on your body. The Torq ones are quite nice but require water to be taken with them. The SIS Go gels not not require water (isotonic) but you'll probably have water on you anyway so no issue.

Use in training if you plan on running for more than 90 mins.
  • AccidentProne 24 Mar 2013 12:58:13 1,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone braved the weather for a run this weekend? I missed yesterday's long slow run as it was miserable out, so today I of course feel massively guilty. Looks like I'll be strapping on the Yaktrax and heading out this afternoon instead...
  • sport 24 Mar 2013 13:02:27 12,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Anyone braved the weather for a run this weekend? I missed yesterday's long slow run as it was miserable out, so today I of course feel massively guilty. Looks like I'll be strapping on the Yaktrax and heading out this afternoon instead...
    Fuck that shit, I'm waiting till the clocks go forward and it warms up. Till then, it's home workouts for me.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Mar 2013 13:02:34 7,134 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How slow do you go for that long? Looking for a general bellweather as to what would be a good pace.
  • AccidentProne 24 Mar 2013 13:15:00 1,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It depends really as I'm trying to stick to my training plan and it's pretty variable. Previously I was probably running around 5:30/km for my long runs, but looking at the next few weeks and they're supposed to be at my marathon pace or thereabouts, so 5:07/km. Not sure I'm going to be able to keep that up to be honest.

For shorter runs, up to 10 miles or so, I'll aim for 4:50-5:00/km.
  • mrpon 24 Mar 2013 13:16:42 28,697 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Went for a quicky this morning. A bit gusty like! Vaseline on the lips helped.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• sport 24 Mar 2013 13:25:20 12,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Went for a quicky this morning. A bit gusty like! Vaseline on the lips helped.
    o_O That poor woman!
  • mrpon 24 Mar 2013 13:42:53 28,697 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• CosmicFuzz 24 Mar 2013 13:59:08 23,705 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a bad few weeks, left knee has been giving up the ghost after 5 miles or so. Physio says my left arch has fallen a bit :( going to get insoles. Should I be paying hundreds from a podiatrist or will 30 ones from run4it do?

Really gutted. If I can't hit 19 miles next Sunday I won't be able to do the marathon next month.

We're celebrating 75 years of Batman - and here's my look back at Rocksteady's Arkham series.

• Vortex808 24 Mar 2013 14:05:45 7,043 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OMFG. 1/2 marathon today in 2 degrees C with a hefty wind chill which turned to a headwind for the last 4 miles. The most miserable run in my life. To compound my misery, I was on course for sub 2hrs until my ITB exploded on 10 miles. It was fine when I ran the route last week FFS!

There can't be much worse than that feeling of limping over the finish line well over your expected time. At 2:20 it could have been worse, but still.

It was that Baltic my fully charged phone ran out of battery at 9 miles too. It lasted the full distance last week with loads of charge to spare.

Sheer torture from start to finish. So glad it's over and I've warmed up a bit!

Hope I can sort my ITB for my next 10k in may.
  • AccidentProne 24 Mar 2013 14:26:38 1,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry to hear about the injuries guys. Well done on finishing the race regardless though Vortex.

None of this is spurring me on to head out and brave the elements myself however.
  • CosmicFuzz 24 Mar 2013 20:37:37 23,705 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nothing worse than running in weather like that. Few weeks ago I finished a run with my entire front covered in ice. Was horrible.

• EMarkM 24 Mar 2013 22:06:31 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I still haven't started back properly since last autumn!

Need to get back into at least 5Ks as quickly as possible!
  • mal 24 Mar 2013 22:31:57 22,407 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Had a bad few weeks, left knee has been giving up the ghost after 5 miles or so. Physio says my left arch has fallen a bit :( going to get insoles. Should I be paying hundreds from a podiatrist or will 30 ones from run4it do?
    How big are your feet? I have size 10-ish shoes (Euro 45ers) and I couldn't find any off-the-shelf insoles that I could even walk in for any length of time. They only seem to make them for old biddies with size 4 feet, so even the XXL ones slide around every time I lift up my feet, and even when they are in place my foot slopps over the sharp outside edge of the insole, which is more than a little uncomfortable.

My 90 quid shoes (as of over two years ago, so probably more like 120 these days) did the most for stopping my shin splints. Made my ankle rotate a little more, which confused the hell out of my knees but they got used to it a lot quicker than my shin bones did not having them.

Something I still need to try out on an old pair of shoes is making my own arch supports inside the shoes using silicone sealant. Can't find the web page with the instructions on any more, but the basic idea is to put your foot in a plastic bag, put the wet sealant in the arch area of your shoes, the put on and lace up your shoes. You can vary how much support you get by how much weight you put on them now - stay seated for minimum, put some weight on to reduce the supports. Then take your shoes off and slide your feet out of the bags, leaving the sealant to cure.

Haven't tried it, but the idea of something actually mounted to your shoe on the bottom and the side means that even if my foot spills sideways as my ankles go over the top of my shoes, my foot can't go over the edge of the silicone.

I'll get round to trying it out one day, but I expect the process to be messy, and since getting a bike I don't walk as far or run nearly as often.

Edited by mal at 22:32:23 24-03-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• SaucyGeoff 25 Mar 2013 11:33:23 2,564 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Bottled it this weekend I'm afraid. Roads round me would have been manageable, but the A to B route I had planned would have been 10 miles into really strong headwind. Likewise, currently feeling very guilty about it.
  • Vortex808 26 Mar 2013 09:41:56 7,043 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spent some time on the foam roller last night after my ITB problem reared it's head again at the weekend.

It was torture. At least it seems to have helped a bit, although I did wake up through the night when I must have moved oddly and twisted it a bit. Ouch.
  • pistol 26 Mar 2013 16:02:55 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    70 mile bike ride on Sat.

No such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clohing; although if you live up North you might have other ideas..;-)
  • SaucyGeoff 6 Apr 2013 17:35:25 2,564 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not sure how I managed it, but managed to blast 5k in 19.38 at this morning's parkrun. Massive PB and chuffed to bits. Sub 20 was a one of my big running ambitions.

I'd given my GPS watch to girlfriend so she could try and break 25 mintues, so had no idea of my pace. At the end, I asked a bloke who finished just ahead of me about his time, couldn't believe his reply.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2013 18:42:31
    That is an awesome time.
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Apr 2013 18:49:43 23,705 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well ive completely fucked my knee. The tiny muscle at the back, apparently. Can barely run 3 miles :( going to have to postpone my marathon until next year, absolutely gutted.

Figure I'll go to podiatrist and get proper insoles. Can't believe after months of training through all sorts of weather I'm falling at the last hurdle!

• Deleted user 6 April 2013 19:11:21
    That fucking sucks dude, sorry to hear that.
  • NOSAVIOUR 10 Apr 2013 22:52:02 2,804 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We completed The Wolf Run on Sunday. Probably the best obstacle event we've done in the uk over even Mudder. Vid here if anyone is interested https://vimeo.com/63522397 which somehow managed to get 6000 views in 3 days and a pat on the back from the events owner. Highly recommended and awesome fun.
  • EMarkM 15 Apr 2013 20:48:24 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally broke my duck and got out for half an hour before dinner tonight.

Feels brilliant. Need to get back into my normal regime now: run Mon, (every 2nd) Wed & Fri evening, do Pilates or free weights Sat & Sun morning.

Musn't forget this ace feeling...

Edited by EMarkM at 20:49:09 15-04-2013
  • Page

of 35 First / Last