Running Page 25

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• SYS64738 7 Sep 2012 16:43:02 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    That's awesome. Just 7 months from nothing to 10k! Well done.
    Thanks! The longer you do it the easier it gets and more importantly running starts to become more addictive than gaming for me. Interestingly the last 3k were the easiest, seems my body figured out the ideal pace or something.

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• SYS64738 7 Sep 2012 16:49:10 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    SYS64738 wrote:
    37 now and never thought I'd be able to achieve this at this stage
    Less of this nonsense please! 40 here and probably the fittest and fastest I've ever been. All about consistency, stick at it. Oh and well done!!
    Thanks mrpon. So the big four zero is nothing to be worried about after all eh;-) What will be my first real challenge to keep my routine up is the coming winter - refuse to join the gym as the treadmill bores me to death (not to mention the cash I save in terms of membership fees). Luckily the winters don't really get too cold where I live, with little to no snow so fingers crossed.

• Garfy 7 Sep 2012 17:00:25 683 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    37 with occasionally achy knees, lifelong lazy couch potato but looking to make changes to my life and replace my OCD gaming addiction with something a bit more healthy.

Any advice?
  • Vortex808 7 Sep 2012 17:09:09 7,211 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    What will be my first real challenge to keep my routine up is the coming winter - refuse to join the gym as the treadmill bores me to death (not to mention the cash I save in terms of membership fees). Luckily the winters don't really get too cold where I live, with little to no snow so fingers crossed.
    There's nothing better than running on a cold, sunny, crisp frosty morning.

Some kind of base layering like underarmour etc, some running leggings for those really cold days, plus a jacket made from a breathable material is all you really need. I have some light gloves too, due to Reynaulds syndrome which messes up the circulation in my finger tips when they get cold.

Unless you're wearing a non-breathable jacket and sweat starts running down the sleeves and over your hands. That was not a pleasant experience!
  • SYS64738 7 Sep 2012 17:33:17 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Vortex808

Agree I started in March early mornings where it was about 4 degrees but dry. Find it a lot harder to run when the temp is above 20 but I'm not used to hot temps these days. My concern comes from the thought of snowy or iced up footpaths but hopefully that won't happen too often.

What I can wholeheartedly recommend by the way is the dri-fit running gear from Nike, I got the short sleeve top, shorts and long sleeve fleece for colder days, and even got the underpants which are ACE - so far no rashes or other skin irritations "down under" - it can add up a bit money wise (got it in an outlet in the US for slightly cheaper) but it is so worth it as I never feel uncomfortable when returning home no matter what.

• SYS64738 7 Sep 2012 17:40:54 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Garfy wrote:
    37 with occasionally achy knees, lifelong lazy couch potato but looking to make changes to my life and replace my OCD gaming addiction with something a bit more healthy.

Any advice?
    Am really no expert but get some medical advice re your knees first as running is tough on the joints. Once you get the green light invest in good shoes and other gear as mentioned before in the thread and start slow, increase your pace and goals incrementally and you should get hooked soon. I found the first month the hardest to get through motivationally. Once you can see improvements you'll be able to turn the sport into an RPG - stamina +5 pace +7 mental wellbeing +10

Edited by SYS64738 at 17:42:18 07-09-2012

• HitchHiker 9 Sep 2012 13:16:41 2,776 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Holy shit. That's run 3 finished and Week 1 completed. Thought they would get easier but christ. I feel physically sick. Had to run in now rather than early morning because of my shifts so that didn't help, and I was hungry before I started.

Anyway, done now. Week 2 starts Tuesday.
  • Vortex808 9 Sep 2012 13:35:41 7,211 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It does get easier, honest!

I'm just getting back to it after not running too much due to a run of illnesses and other stuff. I went out for a 10k run having only run up to about 4 miles or so recently and ended up doing 7 miles instead.

You'll get used to it and know how you're feeling/how much you can push it once you get a basal level of fitness sorted. I might even try and squeeze a few ten milers in before the weather starts getting shitty. Something I haven't done in years due to some problems with my iliotibial band for a while. A few years of taking it easy with less time  to run after having a child seems to have cured that. Now he's older, it's much easier to get out running again.

I hasten to point out my pace per mile is in the mid-high 8min miles just now as sadly I'm nowhere near as fast as I used to be at the moment.

That's hopefully for next year with luck :)
  • Pinky_Floyd 9 Sep 2012 18:24:53 7,908 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    C25k week 5 day 1 complete.  Feel a bit sick tbh. Consisted of:

5min brisk walk
    5min run
    3 min brisk walk
    5 min run
    3 min brisk walk
    5 min run
    5 min easy cool down walk.

Apparently day 3 of this week is a 20 min non stop run :/

Although I feel sick, I didnt stop and I DID IT!
  • HitchHiker 10 Sep 2012 04:27:39 2,776 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was feeling sick with just 60 second runs, not looking forward to going longer right now. At least you did it, congratulations. Another step closer to 5k or 30 minutes. It won't be long before you look back and wonder what all the fuss was about :)
  • SYS64738 10 Sep 2012 23:29:11 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seen a couple of colleagues' recorded times incl. pace on Facebook. It's a bit disheartening - while I'm doing about 6.10mins per km they run in the 5 or even 4 minutes. Am I simply not pushing myself hard enough? What is the best way to improve speed? So far I trained about once or twice per week for about 6 months which I realise isn't really often enough tbh.

• mal 10 Sep 2012 23:51:43 22,605 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Buy a bike. I was never able to get my speed much quicker than 6min per km. I suspect I'm just not built for speed. Also, I'm much bigger than the guys doing sub 5min kms.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• SYS64738 11 Sep 2012 17:56:56 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My physique is roughly the same as those guys, so is my age. It's not even that I want to match their performance, but at least improve mine would be great but I don't quite know what the best approach would be. Am considering a half marathon next year and a higher pace is essential for me for willy waving purposes!

• Gurgy 12 Sep 2012 17:25:14 2,605 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bear in mind that I don't have a clue on the science of it all - I just do what I think sounds right. Therefore I'd try some interval training / fartleks for a couple of weeks and then try to fit in a 3rd run each week.

I currently try to end every run (no matter how far I've ran or knackered I am) with a sprint for 0.5km or more if possible. No idea if it's a good idea though !
  • Vortex808 12 Sep 2012 19:02:20 7,211 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I ran 3.5 miles today yet feel more tired and stiff than when I ran 7 at the weekend. What's *that* all about???

In other news, I am getting pestered by a mate to do a half-marathon next year. My knees & ITB seem to be behaving themselves just now, so I guess if I can get up to 10miles with no bother soon then I might actually try it.

Yoiks.
  • SYS64738 12 Sep 2012 19:42:48 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Reg

Yeah might give those Farty Legs a go, can't do any harm... I did however read somewhere that doing a sprint just before you finish is not a good idea, can't remember though why. Will search for the link if you're interested.

@ Vortex

Feel like that as well from time to time, day form I guess - and boy did I notice the difference in performance after a week's long break due to been severely jetlagged.

Regarding the half marathon - a mate of mine is also hassling me about it. He told me the way he trained for it was simply do 3 10k runs a week, and 'Just-do-it' on the day of the main event... as he found running 20k+ too boring. I'm quite tempted simply as a personal challenge but will definitely be pissed off about them housewifes and fatties being able to run it faster than me:D

• mal 12 Sep 2012 19:52:14 22,605 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I guess the argument about not sprinting at the end if that since you're tired, your form will be worse and you might do yourself in by sprinting.

I could never do much more than about 12k. Partly because that last 1k was real agony, but mainly cos it is fucking boring.

• SYS64738 12 Sep 2012 20:41:43 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah something along those lines I seem to remember.

It's a bit daunting alright, but I imagine if you run with thousands of others on a reasonably scenic circuit it might not be as boring as doing the same on a short-ish lap or worst of all the treadmill.

• mal 12 Sep 2012 21:38:18 22,605 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh absolutely. My race times are all faster than my practice times because you've got a reason to run. It's just training that's the killer.

• Monsieur_Blade 13 Sep 2012 10:29:42 345 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got my first half marathon a week on Sunday and I'm still having problems with my right knee!!

I ran a 10k last night in a steady 55 mins but still felt some pain in my knee. The annoying thing is fitness wise i felt fine but my knee really tightened up in the last 2k.  Overtime i lifted my right knee up it tightened on the inside (like it needed to click or something).

I really don't know whether to attempt the half or not? I've already paid so i feel i may as well give it a go but i just know I'll be really frustrated if i can't finish!

Think I'll have a couple of days rest and attempt another 10k on sat and see how i go.
  • TheSaint 13 Sep 2012 10:46:42 14,478 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone else doing The Great North Run this sunday?

Heading up to the land of Byker Grove tomorrow evening to make a weekend of it.
  • Saucy 13 Sep 2012 10:48:28 2,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    First time in 3 years I've not done it! Now it's come round, I wish I was doing it again. It's a great event.
  • TheSaint 13 Sep 2012 11:05:03 14,478 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is my first time. With that amount of people I'm not expecting a PB or anything but should be a good laugh.
  • Megapocalypse 13 Sep 2012 16:30:26 5,443 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woo! Felt great today and took 2 minutes off my 5k time. Got to make sure it wasn't a one-off now.
  • Vortex808 15 Sep 2012 13:55:32 7,211 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Man, stepping up to try to run a half-marathon from my usual 5-6mile runs is tough. Ran 8.25 miles today and was fine until after 6.5.

Then my pace started dropping from 8.5 min miles to 9 min miles.

Yeesh. Getting used to a half-marathon is going to be tougher than I thought!

Hopefully, I can get the times up to more like 8 min miles once I get more used to the distances required.

Edited by Vortex808 at 13:56:24 15-09-2012
  • Saucy 17 Sep 2012 16:14:16 2,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    This is my first time. With that amount of people I'm not expecting a PB or anything but should be a good laugh.
    How did you get on? My Dad seemed to enjoy himself, but reckoned it was more conjested than previous years, especially the final mile along the sea front.
  • MrE26 17 Sep 2012 18:01:05 1,934 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did C25K last year before my holiday to help shift my gut. Did the job, i dropped a couple of stone with that & controlling what i eat.
    I've put it all back on now mind, starting it again in the next couple of weeks with the goal of doing the Great North Run next year.
  • TheSaint 18 Sep 2012 09:15:24 14,478 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    How did you get on? My Dad seemed to enjoy himself, but reckoned it was more conjested than previous years, especially the final mile along the sea front.
    I was aiming for under 2hrs and managed to finish in 1:57 so pretty pleased overall.

The final mile did seem a lot narrower than most of the course and quite a few people were just randomly stopping to walk without warning which didn't help.

It's definitely up there with the best races I've done. Considering the numbers and logistical issues of a point to point race I thought the organisation was excellent. Getting back to Newcastle on the Metro after the race was a pain but we still made our train home so can't complain.
  • Vortex808 18 Sep 2012 09:50:18 7,211 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rightio all you recent half-marathon runners, I'm going to have to pick your brains while they're still feeling the pain.

In a 10k I never need any water, since it's only a 45-50 min run and I'm not likely to dehydrate enough or run out of glycogen reserves.

However, what's the general form for longer distances? Given my current pace I'm looking at a shade under 2 hours to complete a half-marathon, so I'm guessing I'll defintely need to rehydrate a bit, but should the muscles hold enough glycogen for this distance? Will I need to take a gel, or some jelly beans for a boost when upping training to 10 miles plus, or should I be able to cope ok? I used to be able to do 10 miles no bother without, but have never gone to the 13 mark before.

I think it'll be time to look in my running tome at home soon too.
  • Page

of 35 First / Last