Running Page 5

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• THFourteen 30 Dec 2009 15:43:00 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    if i'm encumbered i'll just add a few extra points to strength next time i level up.
  • Murbal 30 Dec 2009 15:43:34 21,547 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    if i'm encumbered i'll just add a few extra points to strength next time i level up.

:D
  • THFourteen 30 Dec 2009 18:56:13 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    made it! took 40 minutes, i had to brisk-walk for maybe 5-7 of those

bit dissapointed - iphone reckoned it was only 3.6miles whereas walkit reckoned it was over 4. poop!

still, not feeling too bad either, legs are a little sore
  • PhoenixFlames 30 Dec 2009 20:20:30 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good effort TF! I am just this minute shopping for running shoes and you have inspired me further!

I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• TheSaint 30 Dec 2009 20:24:25 13,629 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only started running less than a year ago and now comfortably run 10k most weekends. Aiming to do a half marathon in March if we get some better weather for training. It is tough at the start but you will soon start noticing the improvement.
  • pistol 30 Dec 2009 21:49:27 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just to give you guys some motivation. My closest friend took up running 8 months ago and has already done the Luton Marathon in 3hrs 25 and the Round Rotherham 50 miler. He's a fit guy anyway, but pretty impressive for less than a year's running.
  • THFourteen 31 Dec 2009 09:15:15 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    not feeling in too much pain today surprisingly. must not have been as tired as i thought haha.

definitely doing that again, think maybe if i run home from work twice a week, and then once on weekend, i should be thin in no time.
  • THFourteen 1 Jan 2010 13:59:18 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wooo, happy new year! just ran round the isle of dogs, 3.5miles apparently and took me 35minutes

was a lot easier without a rucksack.

btw for anyone with an iphone, i really recommend runkeeper (i'm using the lite version but probably will upgrade)

its great for tracking times, and it draws a map of your route and stores it on a website too
  • Destria 1 Jan 2010 14:23:18 2,815 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having had my arm twisted into entering a duathlon at the end of March, I've now started running on days when I can't (or are taking a break from) cycling.

Did okay today. Garmin reckons I did 11.3k in 54 mins, at a sustainable (as in not painful/racing) pace. Had planned on doing a larger loop, but got struck by a need for the toilet around the 6k mark and had to turn back. Didn't want to do a Radcliffe in the road :).

Is the best way to speed up to do a balance of "distance" runs at that sort of pace, and "interval" runs where you push it for a bit, then slow down for a bit?
  • pistol 1 Jan 2010 15:54:57 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Destria wrote:
    Having had my arm twisted into entering a duathlon at the end of March, I've now started running on days when I can't (or are taking a break from) cycling.

Did okay today. Garmin reckons I did 11.3k in 54 mins, at a sustainable (as in not painful/racing) pace. Had planned on doing a larger loop, but got struck by a need for the toilet around the 6k mark and had to turn back. Didn't want to do a Radcliffe in the road :).

Is the best way to speed up to do a balance of "distance" runs at that sort of pace, and "interval" runs where you push it for a bit, then slow down for a bit?

Depends what you want to achieve. If it's distance you're after then you just need to put the miles in, building up at a rate you can handle. Bit like the cycling. Intervals are good and they will help with speed, but there's no substitute for just doing the miles.

My running mate has started doing intervals recently, but more to build up his overall speed for endurance events. He doesn't have a problem with the distances but is trying to improve his times overall.
  • Destria 1 Jan 2010 21:44:42 2,815 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well I finished the 11k loop and felt I could have carried on quite comfortably (though may have had to slow down). The duathlon is 5k/20k/5k. Figure it'll be one of these things that I'll just "do", and see how I get on and where I clearly suck. I suspect I'll have no difficulty in covering the distance, but doing so and quickly is another matter.

Got this sportive at the end of the month to worry about first anyway :)
  • pistol 1 Jan 2010 22:06:44 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Destria wrote:
    Well I finished the 11k loop and felt I could have carried on quite comfortably (though may have had to slow down). The duathlon is 5k/20k/5k. Figure it'll be one of these things that I'll just "do", and see how I get on and where I clearly suck. I suspect I'll have no difficulty in covering the distance, but doing so and quickly is another matter.

Got this sportive at the end of the month to worry about first anyway :)

Good luck and enjoy the Sportive. I'm doing 4 next year and just put my entry in for the 190km Wales Dragon sportive in June. Did it last year and this year I'm going for a gold time.

• Benno 1 Jan 2010 23:02:57 9,391 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I ran a half last year and only trained once a week. Would run about 8 miles every sunday, timing the last mile to keep tabs on my speed. I did play squash and do a lot of kickboxing during the week though. Both are good for stamina, and the kick boxing drills helped improve my strength and flexibility. I came from distance swimming, so i was already fit I just needed to get my legs built up.

So yeah, to those training for these "runs" I know a lot of people bone on about running 3-4 times a week, but you really dont have to. Mix in some fun sports you actually enjoy because running can get pretty boring cant it.
  • THFourteen 1 Jan 2010 23:07:19 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unfortunately I am too malcoordinated to do anything other than run or lift weights
  • Youthist 2 Jan 2010 09:16:31 9,896 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Running isnt boring if you concentrate on the run itself, trying to improve times if you run the same course when training etc. Also, I bought a little radio and listen to the football, 45mins goes quickly if football is your thing.

I got Brighton half in Feb, ran it last year, its a great course.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• heyyo 2 Jan 2010 11:54:39 14,374 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I find it (running) quite boring if i'm honest - but then I run in the gym, a gym where the treadmills all face the wall. The radio blasting out in the gym is generic pop and my earphones keep falling out/interfere with my running.

I do about 10-15 minutes at 8km/h and then hit the weights, much more enjoyable.
  • pistol 4 Jan 2010 09:58:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:
    I find it (running) quite boring if i'm honest - but then I run in the gym, a gym where the treadmills all face the wall. The radio blasting out in the gym is generic pop and my earphones keep falling out/interfere with my running.

I do about 10-15 minutes at 8km/h and then hit the weights, much more enjoyable.

I think that's why I went for the cycling over running, although running on a treadmill is probably the dullest form of running you can do, especially if you're facing a wall..;-)

I like the speed of cycling, and the different terrains..pitting myself against the elements and terrains etc. I also get a buzz out of being able to ride endurance distances quicker than a lot of people and just improving generally. And some of the roadbikes just look soo cool.
  • White_Shadow 4 Jan 2010 10:18:45 2,534 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    heyyo! wrote:

I think that's why I went for the cycling over running, although running on a treadmill is probably the dullest form of running you can do, especially if you're facing a wall..;-)

on the one hand I agree that running on a treadmill is a very boring activity, but if you go to a gym which has a little bit of common sense and puts their tvs in front of the treadmills then its actually a lot better. I find if I'm watching something (2 45 minute halves of a footy game with a 15 minute break in the middle is always good) I focus a lot less on the fact that I'm running and just go onto auto-pilot, whereas if I was running outdoors or facing a wall I'd be a lot more conscious of being tired and wanting to stop.
  • pistol 4 Jan 2010 10:20:38 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    White_Shadow wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    heyyo! wrote:

on the one hand I agree that running on a treadmill is a very boring activity, but if you go to a gym which has a little bit of common sense and puts their tvs in front of the treadmills then its actually a lot better. I find if I'm watching something (2 45 minute halves of a footy game with a 15 minute break in the middle is always good) I focus a lot less on the fact that I'm running and just go onto auto-pilot, whereas if I was running outdoors or facing a wall I'd be a lot more conscious of being tired and wanting to stop.

I used to have a pretty decent treadmill and found I got dizzy if I watched something while running. Tended to stick to the ipod. Now if i feel like running there's a field at the back of my house and I'll run round that.

On the bike/turbo trainer I watch things all the time though.
  • sport 6 Jan 2010 12:47:47 12,045 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's looking good for a hard snow run lads :-)

Still stuck at work but very tempted if I got time later.

• pistol 6 Jan 2010 12:56:24 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been working from home today, and just finished 2 hours on the turbo trainer.
  • sport 6 Jan 2010 13:04:12 12,045 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:

"working" huh?
  • Destria 6 Jan 2010 13:28:03 2,815 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stuck at Cambridge teaching a course, and don't have any time to do any exercise at *all*. And there's an excess of biscuits and chocolate and puddings.

Not good
  • sport 6 Jan 2010 15:45:06 12,045 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ok, just got home. Heading off on a run to Parliament Hill (Highest point in London). View should be good.
  • pistol 6 Jan 2010 17:43:33 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sport wrote:
    pistol wrote:

"working" huh?

call it a long lunch...;-)
  • Destria 12 Jan 2010 15:32:52 2,815 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This snow is playing hell with the cycling. Trying to make up for it with the running. Managed about 13 miles on Sat, with a couple of steep hills in there, generally keeping heart rate at 165ish. Except when I went down a steep hill, as I had to practically walk down to avoid falling over.

Also did a quick (well, relatively :p) 5k at lunch today and now I'm hurting.

It's easy to geek out with this gps watch and hrm though. Quite fun :).

Quick nutrition question, and this seems like one of three threads I could bung it in... Now I know that it's important to eat properly after doing running/cycling/exercise (to replace glycogen stores etc), but is there any particular trend I should be following (e.g. lots of protein after high intensity stuff or something)?

Have I got to become one of the Protein Shake in the Office Kitchen gang?
  • TheSaint 12 Jan 2010 15:38:08 13,629 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The pavements round here are still deadly so not done anything since a 5k when I was full of cold over a week ago.

Half marathon is getting closer so would be really nice if this cold weather would break.
  • mal 12 Jan 2010 17:49:38 21,942 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I ended up running on the roads last weekend, when I wasn't in one of the parks anyway. In the parks I just ran on the grass which is quite good since you don't seem to get that layer of ice at the bottom that you get on the paths.

I've got one of them Garmin GPS watches, but I was thinking of treating myself to something newer. Only trouble is, Garmin don't seem to have produced anything better even though mine is over two years old now. I had a look at the Polar range, but man is that confusing - so many different options, and very little information about the differences. Is there any difference between the S1 food pod and the S3 stride sensor if I haven't got a PC to analyse the data, for example.

I'm sticking with my Garmin for now. I'll just have to find other things to spend my money on.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• THFourteen 13 Jan 2010 09:54:47 31,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    did the 3.6mile run home again last night, 3rd time i've done it in 2 weeks and it took me 40mins... ok not a great time, but for someone who's never run before i'm pleased!

still using the free runkeeper app, which maps my run and speed and posts it to facebook, much fun

rewarded myself with a bacon roll this morning. really need more willpower as i'll never lose weight if i keep eating shite.

on the plus side my 500g bag of peri peri biltong arrived this morning.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2010 09:58:08
    I've not run since Tuesday last week. :/

It's annoying. I'm still feeling unfit from Christmas.
  • Page

of 35 First / Last