Home Network Help

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Sud 5 Jan 2006 12:40:06 241 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have two computers at home that are already connected to the Internet via a Linksys Router BEFSR41 (wired). Their internet connection is fine but I have tried many times to allow the two computers to see each other (let alone share any files) but to no avail. Windows XP is used on both machines and I have tried running the Home Network Wizard which seems rather simple but like I said before still fails to let both computers even to see each other. What I meant by not seeing each other is, when I clicked on My Network Places in File Explorer there is no icon for another computer.

I tried to directly connect the two computers using the same cat5e cable and do the same process again but still no success.

I have tried reading some articles on the net including this one but still no idea what I have done wrong.

Help on the matter is appreciated. Thanks
  • jellyhead 5 Jan 2006 13:01:05 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ok, you won't be able to connect the two machines together using the same cable, you will need a "reverse patch" lead as the cable you should have is designed to connect to another device not pc to pc.

dinnertime, back in a bit.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Sud 5 Jan 2006 13:01:57 241 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aren't you supposed to at least be able to see the other computer first before double clicking it to see their shared folders/printers. I think I might have done setting up shared folders in both computers but still no success.

I am also at work so can't really do anything at the moment but I will google the forum that you mentioned and see if they can help.

• Sud 5 Jan 2006 13:09:49 241 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Are you running a personal firewall like zone alarm on either of the PC's? This is probably the most common problem when it comes to getting PC's seeing each other.

Yes, I have Norton Firewall on both. How do I find out if it is the culprit?

Edit: D'oh. That was a stupid question, wasn't it ? Of course all I have to do is to disable it on both machines. Silly me.

Edited by Sud at 13:14:52 05-01-2006
  • Carlo 5 Jan 2006 13:10:30 18,214 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Witchking wrote:
    I think I had to create a folder on each PC that was shared and then the other PC found these on its network. Window's Network Wizard was no help iirc.
    ^^ Teh Winner

(The first time you make a share on xp sp2, you get the 'magic prompt' to allow other computers to 'see' you).

/from memory.

PSN ID: Djini

• Xerx3s 5 Jan 2006 13:15:44 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most common problems: Firewalls. Disable all to see if you can ping. If it works, slowly enable them untill you find out wich one blocks it off. Tweak it.

Second most common problem: Services. Are all the needed services started?

Does your router have some kind of internal blocking/firewall/setting that could be stopping your actions? Reset the router, see if it works then, if not load the backup. If so, look for whats causing the probs.
  • Sud 5 Jan 2006 13:19:17 241 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Most common problems: Firewalls. Disable all to see if you can ping. If it works, slowly enable them untill you find out wich one blocks it off. Tweak it.

Second most common problem: Services. Are all the needed services started?

Does your router have some kind of internal blocking/firewall/setting that could be stopping your actions? Reset the router, see if it works then, if not load the backup. If so, look for whats causing the probs.

Questions:
    1. What are services ?
    2. I think the router has its internal Firewall, how can I disable it?
    3. By resetting the router, do you mean turning it on and off again? i don't think that would help but I'll try.
  • Carlo 5 Jan 2006 13:25:08 18,214 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Witchking wrote:
    2. There is an IP address that you put into your browser which is the configuration menu for the router. I cant recall what it is off hand (I have to modify mine one day as my U something or other setting is stopping my webcam working).

http://172.16.2.1 maybe?

PSN ID: Djini

• Teeth 5 Jan 2006 13:26:34 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've never been able to get home networking to work. Not once, ever. I've given up now. I just use firewire cards and a fucking iPod to transfer files. Piss me off.
  • Teeth 5 Jan 2006 13:26:50 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Witchking wrote:
    2. There is an IP address that you put into your browser which is the configuration menu for the router. I cant recall what it is off hand (I have to modify mine one day as my U something or other setting is stopping my webcam working).

http://172.16.2.1 maybe?

• Sud 5 Jan 2006 13:30:32 241 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I have quite a good idea how to solve it now. Firewall is one thing that I haven't touched when trying to solve the problems so it will be my next target. I will update the thread with any development so others can learn from it as well.
  • Kostabi 5 Jan 2006 13:33:49 5,086 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the router has a hardware firewall then surely you don't need to have Norton Firewall installed on both PCs?
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Sep 2014 20:09:04 7,802 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NEEEECROTHREEEAAAAD YEEEAAAAHH!

Ahem, moving house soon, want to set up the network in the "best" way.
    It'll be BT Fibre probably, coming in downstairs and I was thinking of running a phone line, or network cable from there to a point behind the TV which is downstairs in the centre of the house but at the back/garden end. There I can place the HomeHub and have all the media shite going into it for the console/TV/etc.
    Then, I was planning on having a repeater that I'd connect via Powerlan plugs for the upstairs covering the upper/front part of the house. I'll get a repeater that has USB so I can have home network printer in the office there.

I'll need to get one that has 2.5/5 Ghz capabilities and preferably the wireless AC stuff too for a bit of future proofing.

Are repeaters, particularly hard wired, allbeit via PowerLan, rather than relying on WiFi, a sound idea?
    Is there the potential for lots of conflict as you move from one router to another, or is the technology fairly sound as long as it's set-up correctly?

If anyone can do an idiot check of that pile of crap I'd really appreciate it.
  • Bremenacht 8 Sep 2014 20:20:38 19,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fairly straightforward, I think. Best to have the hub close to where the fibre terminates - makes it easier for troubleshooting. Then straight into a powerline adapter. You can usually have multiple powerline adaptors elsewhere, so you have that flexibility for wiring stuff.

Can you get 5ghz repeaters?
  • PES_Fanboy 8 Sep 2014 20:25:15 18,876 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was told the longer the distance from the fibre box (cable length) potentially you'll get slower speeds?
  • Bremenacht 8 Sep 2014 20:41:16 19,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's always better to have your hub closer to the line termination.
  • Dougs 8 Sep 2014 20:45:09 69,479 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mine is miles away (master socket in the bedroom weirdly) , seems to make fuck all difference to speed. Tried the modem and router up there and connecting via home plug but the drop in speed was much greater than doing it this way.
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Sep 2014 21:03:06 7,802 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, k, folks, I should re-think a bit and have the HomeHub right where the line comes in to the house...
    It's a shame because it'd just be clean and neat to run it through to the "media centre" where I can have the TV/FreeSat/Console/AppleTV etc going directly into the hub.

I suppose I could instead set up a series of PowerLan plugs at the HomeHub to run A. to a hub at the TV downstairs and B. to the repeater upstairs. One extra "stage".
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next