Home Network Help

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Sud 5 Jan 2006 12:40:06 241 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have two computers at home that are already connected to the Internet via a Linksys Router BEFSR41 (wired). Their internet connection is fine but I have tried many times to allow the two computers to see each other (let alone share any files) but to no avail. Windows XP is used on both machines and I have tried running the Home Network Wizard which seems rather simple but like I said before still fails to let both computers even to see each other. What I meant by not seeing each other is, when I clicked on My Network Places in File Explorer there is no icon for another computer.

I tried to directly connect the two computers using the same cat5e cable and do the same process again but still no success.

I have tried reading some articles on the net including this one but still no idea what I have done wrong.

Help on the matter is appreciated. Thanks
  • jellyhead 5 Jan 2006 13:01:05 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ok, you won't be able to connect the two machines together using the same cable, you will need a "reverse patch" lead as the cable you should have is designed to connect to another device not pc to pc.

dinnertime, back in a bit.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Sud 5 Jan 2006 13:01:57 241 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aren't you supposed to at least be able to see the other computer first before double clicking it to see their shared folders/printers. I think I might have done setting up shared folders in both computers but still no success.

I am also at work so can't really do anything at the moment but I will google the forum that you mentioned and see if they can help.

• Sud 5 Jan 2006 13:09:49 241 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Are you running a personal firewall like zone alarm on either of the PC's? This is probably the most common problem when it comes to getting PC's seeing each other.

Yes, I have Norton Firewall on both. How do I find out if it is the culprit?

Edit: D'oh. That was a stupid question, wasn't it ? Of course all I have to do is to disable it on both machines. Silly me.

Edited by Sud at 13:14:52 05-01-2006
  • Carlo 5 Jan 2006 13:10:30 17,913 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Witchking wrote:
    I think I had to create a folder on each PC that was shared and then the other PC found these on its network. Window's Network Wizard was no help iirc.
    ^^ Teh Winner

(The first time you make a share on xp sp2, you get the 'magic prompt' to allow other computers to 'see' you).

/from memory.

PSN ID: Djini

• Xerx3s 5 Jan 2006 13:15:44 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most common problems: Firewalls. Disable all to see if you can ping. If it works, slowly enable them untill you find out wich one blocks it off. Tweak it.

Second most common problem: Services. Are all the needed services started?

Does your router have some kind of internal blocking/firewall/setting that could be stopping your actions? Reset the router, see if it works then, if not load the backup. If so, look for whats causing the probs.
  • Sud 5 Jan 2006 13:19:17 241 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Most common problems: Firewalls. Disable all to see if you can ping. If it works, slowly enable them untill you find out wich one blocks it off. Tweak it.

Second most common problem: Services. Are all the needed services started?

Does your router have some kind of internal blocking/firewall/setting that could be stopping your actions? Reset the router, see if it works then, if not load the backup. If so, look for whats causing the probs.

Questions:
    1. What are services ?
    2. I think the router has its internal Firewall, how can I disable it?
    3. By resetting the router, do you mean turning it on and off again? i don't think that would help but I'll try.
  • Carlo 5 Jan 2006 13:25:08 17,913 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Witchking wrote:
    2. There is an IP address that you put into your browser which is the configuration menu for the router. I cant recall what it is off hand (I have to modify mine one day as my U something or other setting is stopping my webcam working).

http://172.16.2.1 maybe?

PSN ID: Djini

• Teeth 5 Jan 2006 13:26:34 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've never been able to get home networking to work. Not once, ever. I've given up now. I just use firewire cards and a fucking iPod to transfer files. Piss me off.
  • Teeth 5 Jan 2006 13:26:50 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Witchking wrote:
    2. There is an IP address that you put into your browser which is the configuration menu for the router. I cant recall what it is off hand (I have to modify mine one day as my U something or other setting is stopping my webcam working).

http://172.16.2.1 maybe?

• Sud 5 Jan 2006 13:30:32 241 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I have quite a good idea how to solve it now. Firewall is one thing that I haven't touched when trying to solve the problems so it will be my next target. I will update the thread with any development so others can learn from it as well.
  • Kostabi 5 Jan 2006 13:33:49 4,663 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the router has a hardware firewall then surely you don't need to have Norton Firewall installed on both PCs?
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next