New US TV shows: recommendations? Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• 2scoops 26 Apr 2007 17:28:32 131 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    I've devoured Dexter and Weeds as well ;)

Not that bothered about West Wing, although it was good. Saw most of the first series of Deadwood and really liked it, but not that bothered about it. I'm probably wrong about that... And the Wire I started once, but as is known it's something you have to watch close together, in big chunks, as you lose track quickly, and that put me off.

I'll look into Veronica Mars again but I've got this idea in my head it's like Buffy Lite, but more detecting and no monsters. Am I close?

It's exactly like that- only better. It has a huge amount of fun toying with private eye cliches, and is surprisingly good and mixing the serious and the silly. The tone is rather buffyish - snarky and cynical, but the subject matter is a little more grown up and the writing a little sharper.

Seconded!

After starting to suffer from Battlestar Galactica Fatigue, I discovered I'd 'aquired' the first 2 seasons of Veronica Mars and never quite got round to them. Bloody hell, it's surprisingly good. It really is smarter than I was expecting, and a lot seedier as well.

It's also good to see that the 'shocker' hand signal has made it into US teen shows.
  • yupyup 26 Apr 2007 17:40:10 3,669 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    I've devoured Dexter and Weeds as well ;)

Not that bothered about West Wing, although it was good. Saw most of the first series of Deadwood and really liked it, but not that bothered about it. I'm probably wrong about that... And the Wire I started once, but as is known it's something you have to watch close together, in big chunks, as you lose track quickly, and that put me off.

I'll look into Veronica Mars again but I've got this idea in my head it's like Buffy Lite, but more detecting and no monsters. Am I close?

Arrested. Cough. Development. Cough.

Seriously, it's great \o/

Got replaced by Prison Break on Fox, so the writers decided to write an episode called Prison Break-in and parody their own untimely demise. The only show I could watch several times and notice new jokes each time. It's ridiculously layered, but not in an overbearing way. It'll take maybe 2/3 episodes to 'get' it's humour but it's really well worth it.

Hands Off Our Penises

• Tricky 26 Apr 2007 18:07:22 4,303 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How about Wonderfalls? Very underrated show that got 'Fox'ed (sorry, cancelled) after only 13 episodes. Plus the lead character is exceedingly gorgeous.
  • tengu 8 May 2007 19:54:54 10,294 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DaisyD 3 Jan 2008 13:29:00 11,818 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With all my time off recently I've watched a couple of shows. I'd downloaded, but not got round to watching the Riches, which was good. Then I accidently discovered Burn Notice (through looking up Bruce Campbell on IMDB for an unrelated mater). That was very goood - both ElMUERkO and myself enjoyed it even if it did end very much unfinished!
  • Madder-Max 3 Jan 2008 13:31:03 11,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Other than Lost (don't have the patience for the ten minutes of actual PLOT per episode) and Invasion (starting over here soon), and also Desperate Housewives (just don't care), what good US shows are airing over there and available in torrent form? Just fancy watching something that isn't crap, er, I mean British. ;)

I'm awaiting the new season of 24 with baited breath!

The Riches. Only non patronising, intelligent tv to come out of teh states for a looong time. (Apart from Futurama and Family Guy) Eddie Izzard is brilliant as is Minnie Driver playing a gypsy type woman. She is well hot in this.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• crashVoodoo 12 Jul 2008 12:53:32 3,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    there is a new series that just started in the US. i saw a trailer for it on tv while over there. its called flashpoint and it looks a bit SWAT/negotiator ish in style from what i could make out.

it could be good, it could be shit ... i'm leaning on the latter going by some reviews/previews. anyways, it piqued my interest and some of you may likes it so i thought i'd give a heads up as it was on last night stateside and i've just started downloading it.

some shit about it
    Flashpoint is a new CBS drama series that follows the a special group called the SRU (Strategic Response Unit), which is inspired by Torontoís Emergency Task Force. The SRU is a rescue team whose goal is to save hostages, talk down suicidal people, defuse bombs, scale buildings and take down gangs. Diffusing these insane situations often means negotiating and getting inside the suspectís heads. Enrico Colantoni plays Sgt. Greg Parker. Among his team are Ed Lane (Dillon) and Jules Callaghan (Johnson).

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• DaisyD 12 Jul 2008 13:01:45 11,818 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Series 2 of Burn Notice as just started in the US. \o/
  • Flightrisker 4 Jul 2009 20:29:45 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mid-season has me mored. Any recommendations?

I've watched these.

Angel
    Arrested Development
    Battlestar Galactica
    Buffy
    Damages
    Dexter
    Entourage
    Firefly
    Heroes
    Lost
    Prison Break
    Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
    The Office
    The Shield
    The West Wing

The Wire and Sopranos I guess are my big two ommisions. I'll get to them eventually, they just look a bit... daunting right now. I guess I want something with a bit more zip to it.
  • ionic 4 Jul 2009 20:34:09 668 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I recommend you check out Chuck, I'm working my way through season 2 and it hasn't got boring yet. Its for Adam Baldwin from Firefly to ease with the transition, his pretty much the same character.
  • localnotail 4 Jul 2009 20:35:12 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Breaking Bad beats all of those.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Flightrisker 4 Jul 2009 20:35:44 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers. I watched the first ep of Chuck. Seemed ok but didn't really make me feel the need to watch any more.I'll give a few more a go.

I liked the look of burn notice but the chick's Oirish accent destroyed me.
  • M83J01P97 4 Jul 2009 20:40:01 6,384 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Sopranos isn't daunting once you have watched one or two episodes. You really are missing one of the best TV shows ever made by not watching it!
  • WrongShui 4 Jul 2009 20:41:30 6,574 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    I liked the look of burn notice but the chick's Oirish accent destroyed me.

She loses it after the first or second ep.
  • PES_Fanboy 4 Jul 2009 20:46:14 11,629 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Breaking Bad is teh awesome. I'm also liking (although I'm well aware that it's complete shit) My Own Worst Enemy.
  • beastmaster 4 Jul 2009 20:53:39 10,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got Californication waiting to go. I may try it later tonight.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• BabyJesus 4 Jul 2009 21:09:40 4,412 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    The Sopranos isn't daunting once you have watched one or two episodes. You really are missing one of the best TV shows ever made by not watching it!

QIA X 100

Seriously, it is excellent, superb writing,acting and production values.

Another great show is Mad Men, which I believe is written by one of The Soprono's writers or something.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2009 22:04:45
    Burn Notice is pretty good.

It's also mandatory that i recommend the long cancelled Veronica Mars in any TV thread. It's really very good and you will be surprised by it.
  • yupyup 4 Jul 2009 22:27:29 3,669 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    True Blood.

Hands Off Our Penises

• Flightrisker 4 Jul 2009 22:58:42 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tried Veronica and True Blood. Really didn't lke em :(
  • TheSaint 4 Jul 2009 23:09:15 13,629 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you liked Arrested Development then 30 Rock is a very similar kind of humour and well worth watching.
  • yupyup 4 Jul 2009 23:17:47 3,669 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good call TheSaint. Also, give Parks & Recreation a go if you liked the US Office. Flight, if you liked Dexter I'd suggest sticking with True Blood, I think it's quite decent. How much of it have you watched? VM igets quite addictive too... Also, Fringe is a real improver.

Hands Off Our Penises

• iokthemonkey 3 Sep 2009 13:49:47 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anybody watching "Defying Gravity?"

It's a gay space Lost meets Event Horizon but it's worth watching just to see how bad their space science is, with nano-hairspray to stop their hair floating in zero G being a high-point.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• Deleted user 30 June 2010 15:04:30
    I watched Memphis Beat when I was over in the Dominican and I really enjoyed it. It has an awesome blues soundtrack aswell.
  • glaeken 30 Jun 2010 15:11:52 10,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The main one I see missing here that I watch is Brotherhood. It's sort of an Irish American Sopranos with a bit of the West Wing thrown in. It's actually better than that makes it sound.

I also don't see Human Target listed here and that is well worth checking out as its a ton of fun.

• TheSaint 30 Jun 2010 15:17:52 13,629 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Community has been fulfilling my need for new comedy recently.

Highly recommended.
  • Fletche 30 Jun 2010 15:32:46 3,418 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone watched Haven? Starting on Syfy soon and looks interesting
  • iokthemonkey 30 Jun 2010 16:29:51 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The only shows I watch now are The Dish and The Soup (which are both kind of like Harry Hill's TV Burp only more satirical/cruel), Hell's Kitchen (which is funny but it's getting a bit same-old) and The Bachelorette (which, if you thought you'd seen bad reality TV, you haven't until you've seen it.)

I raved about Human Target a while ago. It's well-worth watching if you're looking for a good action-drama. It's kind of Bond-meets-MacGuyver/The A Team but with a more modern twist.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• Page

of 8 First / Last