New US TV shows: recommendations? Page 3

  • Page

    of 8 First / Last

  • Whizzo 11 Jan 2006 15:27:28 43,038 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    New series of The Shield stars Forrest whitaker as an internal affairs investigator! OMG!
    Ah I see it's turned up then, excellent, can't wait to get home.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • Pike 11 Jan 2006 15:28:33 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prison Break is rather fun, in a mindless way. But it's no OZ.
  • DaisyD 18 Feb 2006 14:19:27 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quedex wrote:
    Well if you want the first 9 eps burnt on a DVD, just as a backup in case you miss them on Sky or something, I might know someone who could get them for you... ;)
    Is that offer still open - I've been missing it thanks to work.

    Also, did anyone mention one of my all time fav US shows, Third Watch?

    And if we can have an Aussie TV thread, I want to put sugguest Kath and Kim. Has anyone seen Last Man Standing?
  • quedex 18 Feb 2006 14:24:21 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:Is that offer still open - I've been missing it thanks to work.
    Sure, no probs. Send me some details and I'll stick it in the post on Monday.

    Edited by quedex at 14:29:43 18-02-2006
  • DaisyD 18 Feb 2006 14:29:25 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sent!
  • quedex 18 Feb 2006 14:35:16 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Consider it done :)
  • HarryB 18 Feb 2006 16:51:52 6,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    where has my precious OC gone this week? :(
  • quedex 18 Feb 2006 16:56:27 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most US shows are on a break at the moment for sweeps. OC is back on March 9.
  • HarryB 18 Feb 2006 17:00:56 6,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :'( oh well, GRAW and OC for the weekend :)
  • Flightrisker 28 May 2006 11:48:07 18,096 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With everything over I'm looking to going "retro" for something new to watch. My fav shows are Buffy, Angel, Firelfy, Lost, 24, Prison Break.

    I have Veronica mars already, slowly working through them.

    Was thinking of going for The Shield next. Worth watching from series 1? Or should I jump up to the latest?
  • Kostabi 28 May 2006 11:49:20 4,878 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're going to watch The Shield then start from the beginning, it's much more entertaining that way. If you like that then maybe try The Wire too.

    Edited by Kostabi at 11:49:40 28-05-2006
  • DaisyD 28 May 2006 11:54:07 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quedex wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:Is that offer still open - I've been missing it thanks to work.
    Sure, no probs. Send me some details and I'll stick it in the post on Monday.

    Edited by quedex at 14:29:43 18-02-2006
    Hey, did I ever thank you? I can't remember, so I'll do it now. Thanks very much for those! :D
  • TwistidChimp 28 May 2006 12:16:47 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another vote for the Shield, series 1 is brilliant.
    Arrested Development - Best US comedy series in years.
    The Wire - havn't seen it but its supposed to be absolutley amazing.
    Battlestar - awsome intelligent sci fi.
  • DaisyD 28 May 2006 12:18:07 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone been watching Sleeper Cell? Any good?
  • Deleted user 28 May 2006 12:21:52
    I torrented the first 4 eps, then found it nigh on impossible to get a successful torrent for eps 5 and 6. Haven't watched it yet though. But I hear it's quite good - slower and less action-heavy than something like 24, say, but supposed to be pretty engaging.

  • Flightrisker 28 May 2006 12:22:43 18,096 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    Anyone been watching Sleeper Cell? Any good?

    I Sky +'d it. Watched most of the first episode and found it verrry average. i know I should really have given it at least one epsidoe to hook me. Could be good but didn't seem too promising.


    Just checked it on tv.com

    8.8 average review, not bad at all. And seems to have only gone 10 episodes so far. Must have just gotten a half season contract or something. Might check it out.
  • Jimmyjojojr 28 May 2006 13:21:23 35 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Another vote for the Shield, series 1 is brilliant.
    Arrested Development - Best US comedy series in years.
    The Wire - havn't seen it but its supposed to be absolutley amazing.
    Battlestar - awsome intelligent sci fi.

    Arrested Development +1
    although I recommend you watch it from the start, if you drop in part way through you will have no idea what is going on. The humor gets wrapped in on it's self and they make jokes about jokes.

    If your not into plot Robot Chicken
  • DaisyD 17 Oct 2006 01:10:35 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    quedex wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:Is that offer still open - I've been missing it thanks to work.
    Sure, no probs. Send me some details and I'll stick it in the post on Monday.

    Edited by quedex at 14:29:43 18-02-2006
    Hey, did I ever thank you? I can't remember, so I'll do it now. Thanks very much for those! :D
    I've only now got round to watching those Prison Break disc you sent me. I'm completely hooked!
  • Deleted user 26 April 2007 16:13:16
    Okay, Prison Break has gone, 24, Lost and Heroes are once a week and instantly devoured when available, I've watched the entire run of Day Break (it was okay)... What can I watch now? I have vast amounts of time spare but would rather not start a show that's into it's 7th or 8th series.

    I don't care about Smallville, House, ER, etc enough to bother with them. What's Entourage like?
  • nick303 26 Apr 2007 16:18:20 1,526 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    What's Entourage like?

    I couldn’t stand it. Just found it too Sex and the City! The male version if you like.
  • magicpanda 26 Apr 2007 16:24:04 13,274 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dexter: Top of the list, one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. ever!

    Arrested Development
    Weeds
    Deadwood
    The Wire

    All pure class.
  • yupyup 26 Apr 2007 16:24:12 3,679 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watch Arrested Development for teh ultimate lullz or The Wire for excellency.

    Next!

    Edit: Be my friend Panda!


    Edited by yupyup at 16:25:07 26-04-2007

    Hands Off Our Penises

  • BaggyAnt 26 Apr 2007 16:45:39 199 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You should try The West Wing, I have just bought the first series box set for £7 online @ HMV. So if that offer is still on then you can't go far wrong.

    Edited by BaggyAnt at 16:46:15 26-04-2007
  • The_Aardvark 26 Apr 2007 16:50:56 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How about Veronica Mars?
  • Deleted user 26 April 2007 17:01:40
    I've devoured Dexter and Weeds as well ;)

    Not that bothered about West Wing, although it was good. Saw most of the first series of Deadwood and really liked it, but not that bothered about it. I'm probably wrong about that... And the Wire I started once, but as is known it's something you have to watch close together, in big chunks, as you lose track quickly, and that put me off.

    I'll look into Veronica Mars again but I've got this idea in my head it's like Buffy Lite, but more detecting and no monsters. Am I close?
  • magicpanda 26 Apr 2007 17:08:53 13,274 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tried Supernatural?

    Very very very silly but watchable crap. Ive only seen the first 2 episodes so cant comment much further. Kind of like Buffy but without the eye candy.
  • The_Aardvark 26 Apr 2007 17:14:51 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    I've devoured Dexter and Weeds as well ;)

    Not that bothered about West Wing, although it was good. Saw most of the first series of Deadwood and really liked it, but not that bothered about it. I'm probably wrong about that... And the Wire I started once, but as is known it's something you have to watch close together, in big chunks, as you lose track quickly, and that put me off.

    I'll look into Veronica Mars again but I've got this idea in my head it's like Buffy Lite, but more detecting and no monsters. Am I close?

    It's exactly like that- only better. It has a huge amount of fun toying with private eye cliches, and is surprisingly good and mixing the serious and the silly. The tone is rather buffyish - snarky and cynical, but the subject matter is a little more grown up and the writing a little sharper.
  • nick303 26 Apr 2007 17:17:16 1,526 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dead like me? I really enjoyed it. It's about a girl who is killed by a toilet seat from the International Space Station.

    She becomes a Grim Reaper, taking peoples souls and has to hold down a 9 to 5 job.
  • magicpanda 26 Apr 2007 17:19:25 13,274 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nick303 wrote:
    Dead like me? I really enjoyed it. It's about a girl who is killed by a toilet seat from the International Space Station.

    She becomes a Grim Reaper, taking peoples souls and has to hold down a 9 to 5 job.

    Sounds awesome but surely must be shite? :p
  • jellyhead 26 Apr 2007 17:25:08 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:
    nick303 wrote:
    Dead like me? I really enjoyed it. It's about a girl who is killed by a toilet seat from the International Space Station.
    She becomes a Grim Reaper, taking peoples souls and has to hold down a 9 to 5 job.
    Sounds awesome but surely must be shite? :p
    Nope, it's fantastic but the writers killed it through incompetence. :(
    They set up rules in the first few eps and then randomly break them throughout the series. Not enough to make you scream but enough for a raised eyebrow or two.
    Bunch of cocks. :(

    The Wire.
    Veronica Mars
    The Shield
    Dexter
    Weeds

    All great, there's more but my lift home is getting impatient. :)

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • Page

    of 8 First / Last

Log in or register to reply