Best Pink Floyd album Page 10

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• Furtive_Pygmy 23 Mar 2017 14:48:24 6,017 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Will dive in (again) to pimp Meddle and Animals.

I'd also like to opine that Pink Floyd are massively overrated. So, so many other prog bands from that era are barely remembered yet wrote just as good material (if not better) and were usually better instrumentalists to boot.
    Such as? (please don't say Genesis).

I do like a bit of Yes though.
  • FuzzyDucky 23 Mar 2017 15:08:52 2,070 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Furtive_Pygmy wrote:
    FuzzyDucky wrote:

I'd also like to opine that Pink Floyd are massively overrated. So, so many other prog bands from that era are barely remembered yet wrote just as good material (if not better) and were usually better instrumentalists to boot.

I do like a bit of Yes though.
    Stuff I'd reach for before Floyd get a look in...

Van der Graaf Generator
    Gentle Giant
    Camel
    Focus
    Rush
    Yes
    Soft Machine
    King Crimson
    UK
    The Alan Parsons Project
    Mike Oldfield
    Bill Bruford's solo gear
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Mar 2017 15:10:26 19,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Alan Parsons Project - Haha.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 23 Mar 2017 15:12:41 6,017 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky

Good list, although I'm not familiar with some of those.
  • FuzzyDucky 23 Mar 2017 16:58:07 2,070 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Yeah I am aware of the irony in saying I prefer APP to Floyd! :)
  • FuzzyDucky 23 Mar 2017 16:59:15 2,070 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Furtive_Pygmy What are you not familiar with? Could recommend stuff if you fancy diving in to them! :)
  • b0rk 23 Mar 2017 17:04:17 7,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Retro-Fit wrote:
    I don't think I could nominate a 'best' Floyd album.
    Nonsense! Wish you was here is their best album.
    This is the correct answer.
  • b0rk 23 Mar 2017 17:05:27 7,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well it's actually called Wish You Were Here.
  • JonFE 23 Mar 2017 18:08:01 1,716 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky

FuzzyDucky wrote:
    @Furtive_Pygmy What are you not familiar with? Could recommend stuff if you fancy diving in to them! :)
    Even though I'm not Pygmy, I wouldn't mind some recommendations on
    Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Camel, Soft Machine, UK and Bill Bruford's solo gear
    if it's not too much trouble. One album of each (cheeky I know) would do!
  • FuzzyDucky 23 Mar 2017 19:14:30 2,070 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @JonFE :)
    VdGG - The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other (first album, reasonably accessible but still has some of the harder stuff - the outdoors to White Hammer sounds like the apocalypse).

Camel - Moonmadness (massive influence on Opeth, and some of the most beautiful electric guitar you'll ever hear)

Gentle Giant - Octopus (so many twists and turns for such a short album, plus either album sleeve is epic!)

UK - they only have the two records (self titled and Danger Money). Self titled is the one to get (if you can find the thing), features Allan Holdsworth on guitar!

Soft Machine - I'll say Third, but I do prefer Bundles (wouldn't be a popular opinion) as it features... Allan Holdsworth on guitar!

Bill Bruford - Feels Good to Me. Can be a bit of an acquired taste as some of the vocals are a bit cheese-jazz, but... it features Allan Holdsworth on guitar!

Actually, fuck prog rock, just go buy Allan Holdsworth's solo back catalogue! :-D
  • Furtive_Pygmy 23 Mar 2017 20:18:18 6,017 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Camel - Moonmadness (massive influence on Opeth, and some of the most beautiful electric guitar you'll ever hear)
    Interesting, I like Opeth so giving Camel a listen now, I really like it. It does remind me of Yes with it's time signatures and production.

Edited by Furtive_Pygmy at 20:20:35 23-03-2017
  • JonFE 23 Mar 2017 22:23:37 1,716 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky Thanks a bunch! Will try to check them out asap!!!
  • FuzzyDucky 24 Mar 2017 05:27:24 2,070 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @JonFE :)

The nature of the genre means some of that stuff is very involved listening, so even an album per band is lots to dig into! :)
  • FuzzyDucky 24 Mar 2017 05:33:08 2,070 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Furtive_Pygmy Yeah it's got a similar sound alright, good and spacey to let all the instruments through.

The first four Camel albums are all wonderful (Camel, Mirage, Music Inspired by the Snowgoose and Moonmadness) and feature the classic line up.

I only have the one album after those (their 5th record, Raindances), it's a lot less prog and not as good, but actually has my fave Camel song, namely Unevensong. The melody in the outro is glorious.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2017 07:14:39
    It's gone a bit Saxondale in here
  • DukeSilver 24 Mar 2017 07:40:23 2,165 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Ah Haa!
  • JonFE 24 Mar 2017 11:32:59 1,716 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky I know, and with my busy schedule/work hours, it will take some time to listen to them all, but I don't mind - I'm always open to great new (old?) music :)
  • BTBAM 24 Mar 2017 20:08:56 1,943 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The snow goose is the only camel album I like but it might be one of my favourite albums of all time, I adore it.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Apr 2017 10:35:16 21,540 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Roger Waters has a new track up on his site:Smell the roses
    spoiler: It is fecking BRILLIANT
  • ghostgate2001 24 Apr 2017 12:38:33 562 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Furtive_Pygmy wrote:
    FuzzyDucky wrote:

Can't stand most Genesis albums, especially post-Gabriel, but I'll fight anyone who disrespects Trespass. Always liked that one, which is probably just as well because my dad (R.I.P.) used to spin that vinyl regularly throughout my childhood.

Got a lossless (DVD audio) remaster of it a while ago and, blimey, it was like one of those restorations of a murky old painting where something vibrant and colourful emerges from underneath the accumulated smeg of ages. Which is a roundabout way of saying it scrubbed up well.

As for Pink Floyd, I'm probably going to have to pick Animals or The Wall as whole albums. There are individual tracks from other albums that I prefer to anything on those albums, but as full albums those get the nod from me because the music's great and the concept tying the album together as a whole is strong.

My favourite Floyd isn't an officially-recognised album, though, it's Live at Pompeii. As an atheist it's probably about as near as I'll get to a religious experience. A Blu-ray release of that would be nice, ideally with the option of watching the long or short versions.
  • Fab4 24 Apr 2017 12:44:07 8,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is still Meddle for me.
  • FuzzyDucky 24 Apr 2017 13:13:27 2,070 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Meddle, always.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 24 Apr 2017 13:50:57 6,017 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ghostgate2001 wrote:
    My favourite Floyd isn't an officially-recognised album, though, it's Live at Pompeii. As an atheist it's probably about as near as I'll get to a religious experience. A Blu-ray release of that would be nice, ideally with the option of watching the long or short versions.
    So good, I remember watching it a lot in my youth on VHS, the visual side of it is as good as the music and fits so well. It's hard to explain but it just brings back great memories of nothing in particular, just a good feeling, and you can almost feel the heat coming through the screen, in a good way.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 May 2017 07:06:47 21,540 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Roger Waters latest tease from the upcoming album is out now "Deja Vu" it is FUCKING EPIC. When it connects nothing in any other media can touch how music can make you feel.
    ...I think we know which one is Pink ;)
  • GoatApocalypse 8 May 2017 13:13:59 3,007 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've recently been enjoying Floyd's back catalogue. The Wall is probably my favourite, although context is important here and, impressively for an album released in 77(?), it captures the zeitgeist perfectly.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 8 May 2017 13:38:37 6,017 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    1979 it was released. :p
  • GoatApocalypse 8 May 2017 13:49:47 3,007 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was Animals 77 then?
  • Furtive_Pygmy 8 May 2017 13:59:42 6,017 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep, that is when the best Floyd album was released. ;)
  • hedben2013 8 May 2017 16:25:28 407 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    With any kind of music, but in particular with albums that might have been discovered and appreciated by a group of friends years after they were released rather than chronologically at the time of release, it's inevitable that the enjoyment and perception of greatness is shaped by how the album evokes happy memories of past times. This effect is even more apparent when it's listened to at an early age, when it's the first foray into music that wasn't just heard second-hand from parents.

That said, Wish You Were Here is the best Pink Floyd album and anyone who disagrees is objectively wrong
  • boo 8 May 2017 18:35:34 13,179 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @JonFE (and everybody else for that matter)

Just buy The Wall and the whole of the Rush back catalogue and you're good to go.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.