How do i connect Xbox 360 to HD TV?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Xoni 11 Dec 2005 13:53:36 28 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi Guys,

Can somebody help my in 'Simple' terms please.

I have the Samsung SP50 L7 DLP Rear Projection TV.

It has a HDMI connection, Component Inputs (5 x think 3 are video and 2 are sound can somebody please confirm!) a 'PC' input, and 3 x Scart connections.

What is the best way to connect the 360 to enable HD?

I've read a lot of posts that suggest the 360 isn't HD? If it isn't HD then why are there HD cables available?

Is a 'PC' connection the same as a 'VGA' connection?

Is a VGA connection 720p? As obviously my HDMI connection is 720p/1080i, and the manual states that the component inputs accept 720p and 1080i, but it doesn't mantion anything about the PC port being 720p/1080i??

Also, the component HD cables available have 6 plugs, i only have 5 connections, so which ones would be connected if i were to go for these? What would the extra one be for?

Also, i've got a Denon 3802 AV Amp, how would i get 5.1 Digital sound?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm new to gaming, and have only just received my console, although the Mrs won't let me open it until Christmas, i want to get all these facts finalised so i can make sure i've got all the correct cables to get up and running.

Many Thanks

Xoni
  • morriss 11 Dec 2005 13:55:38 71,287 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's an HDTV thread in the "Useful Threads" sticky at the top of the page. Your questions about 420p etc will get answered there.

Yes PC connection is VGA.
  • deem 11 Dec 2005 14:00:54 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Xoni 11 Dec 2005 14:47:17 28 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Many Thanks for your replies.

But the 5.1 Digital Surround, how would i achieve this?

The 5 Component leads, are 2 of the 5 for the audio, and therefore i would connect the audio plugs directly to the Amp? If that is the case then i might have to extend the two audio plugs, as my TV and Amp are a little too far apart for the five plugs to be split and reach both units?
  • deem 11 Dec 2005 15:10:35 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Xoni 11 Dec 2005 16:48:50 28 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Many Thanks Deem!! All i need now is the cables!!
  • morriss 11 Dec 2005 16:49:47 71,287 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't deem great? :)
  • deem 11 Dec 2005 18:15:11 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • silentbob 11 Dec 2005 18:40:57 29,029 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Get a room! :)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Razz 11 Dec 2005 18:41:36 61,663 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Get a room! :)

/Takes Pictures

CONTINUE THIS SICK FILTH

/Curtains

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Brenders 11 Dec 2005 19:10:24 24 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I gotta noobish question too -

I have the core version with its RGB scart and im just wondering what the best way would be to connect up to my Dolby 5.1 system?

Unfortunately it doesnt have optical connections - but i, apparantly, have a digital in and a digital out. If that means anything...

Edited by Brenders at 19:11:02 11-12-2005
  • Sid-Nice 11 Dec 2005 19:21:23 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Xoni wrote:
    Hi Guys,

It has a HDMI connection, Component Inputs (5 x think 3 are video and 2 are sound can somebody please confirm!) a 'PC' input, and 3 x Scart connections.

I've read a lot of posts that suggest the 360 isn't HD? If it isn't HD then why are there HD cables available?

Is a VGA connection 720p? As obviously my HDMI connection is 720p/1080i, and the manual states that the component inputs accept 720p and 1080i, but it doesn't mantion anything about the PC port being 720p/1080i??

Also, the component HD cables available have 6 plugs, i only have 5 connections, so which ones would be connected if i were to go for these? What would the extra one be for?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm new to gaming, and have only just received my console, although the Mrs won't let me open it until Christmas, i want to get all these facts finalised so i can make sure i've got all the correct cables to get up and running.

Many Thanks

Xoni
    An excellent choice of televison, I've got one on order; plus the Samsung Home Cinema. The cost is only 2,600 for both, which is an absolute bargain when a 50" plasma screen would cost twice that.

What Xbox 360 package did your wife buy you for Christmas? If she got you the Core pack; then I think you'll need to buy the lead that comes with the Premium Pack. The HDTV lead has 5 connections the HD progressive scan and audio connections; this lead costs 19.99 if bought separately. This lead will give you the best picture; as your TV has 1280 X 768 native resolution. The connections are colour coordinated so there won't be any problems, if your Denon has an Aux in port for the audio, then you're sorted.

Edited by Sid Nice at 19:23:18 11-12-2005

NNID Sid-Nice

• deem 11 Dec 2005 20:13:09 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Sid-Nice 11 Dec 2005 20:15:34 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    You got me on ignore sid!?
    No deem, I just thought I'd brag about my new set up.......Coming Soon. :)

NNID Sid-Nice

• Jmog 12 Dec 2005 13:25:39 408 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brenders wrote:
    Unfortunately it doesnt have optical connections - but i, apparantly, have a digital in and a digital out. If that means anything...
    Edited by Brenders at 19:11:02 11-12-2005

Ah, that sounds like your system has digital coax inputs. Looks like the red/white stereo plugs, correct?

Then you can just get a coax->optical converter. They are a bit pricey but shouldn't be hard to come by. Check your local electronics store, hifi store or anywhere that sells audio equipment.

Get one of those and an optical cable (plug into the RGB cable's base) and you're rolling.
  • ssuellid 12 Dec 2005 13:30:00 19,141 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jmog wrote:
    Then you can just get a coax->optical converter. They are a bit pricey but shouldn't be hard to come by. Check your local electronics store, hifi store or anywhere that sells audio equipment.

Surely a optical -> coax convertor?

14.99 for either

Brenders double check the back of your amp. 'Digital in' could mean either optical or electrical (coax). What amp?
  • Xoni 16 Dec 2005 10:20:33 28 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sid Nice wrote:
    Xoni wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Many Thanks

Xoni
    An excellent choice of televison, I've got one on order; plus the Samsung Home Cinema. The cost is only 2,600 for both, which is an absolute bargain when a 50" plasma screen would cost twice that.

What Xbox 360 package did your wife buy you for Christmas? If she got you the Core pack; then I think you'll need to buy the lead that comes with the Premium Pack. The HDTV lead has 5 connections the HD progressive scan and audio connections; this lead costs 19.99 if bought separately. This lead will give you the best picture; as your TV has 1280 X 768 native resolution. The connections are colour coordinated so there won't be any problems, if your Denon has an Aux in port for the audio, then you're sorted.

Edited by Sid Nice at 19:23:18 11-12-2005

Hi Sid Nice - didn't receive any email notifications about replies on this thread!

You've made a really good choice with the Sammy - i'm over the moon with it - can't fault it at all.

I've seen pictures of the cinema surround system that matches this TV (i assume this is the one your getting?) and matches it perfectly and look VERY nice!!

How long will you have to wait for delivery?

Edited by Xoni at 10:48:21 16-12-2005
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next