The Single Malt Thread Page 21

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• Fonzie 3 Apr 2012 18:43:14 1,780 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:

Ahem, we'll have none of that blended nonsense in the Single Malt thread. Green, Gold and Blue labels are blended malts though, so sort of permissible.

Sorry. Fully aware it's a blended Whiskey and I'm not usually a fan but it surprised me when I first tried it.

Edited by Fonzie at 18:43:35 03-04-2012
  • mal 15 Apr 2012 01:52:59 22,323 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Being drunk on whisky makes me happy. Ardbeg Uigadeal is fucking lush. Being drunk on Uigadeal makes me ecstatic.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• elstoof 15 Apr 2012 07:31:00 6,461 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    +1 all over that shit mal.
  • BillMurray 27 Apr 2012 20:41:48 7,585 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seeing as it's payday I just treated myself to some whisky stones and two of Blade Runner whisky glasses. Very much looking forward to using them!
  • Deleted user 27 April 2012 21:07:55
    perhaps sacrilege in the /single/ malt thread but has anyone tried japanese blend, nikka from the barrel?

it's brilliant
  • elstoof 27 Apr 2012 22:36:09 6,461 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I really enjoyed nikka when I tried it. It's a blend? Never would have guessed with the name like from the barrel tbh, not so hot on Japanese namings for their bottles.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2012 06:25:52
    elstoof wrote:Diageo stock apparently, Lagavulin and and Caol Ila have featured in the bottlings. what did you think of it?
    I haven't opened it yet. Made this embargo deal with myself to not open a new one until I empty an old one, I have too many open bottles in the stash. :)

Will open it either tonight or tomorrow evening, now I'm really looking forward to it!
  • Deleted user 28 April 2012 06:41:27
    Uigedael is truly amazing! Speaking of Ardbeg, one of my favourite places here has changed name to Ardbeg Embassy and in the process they built this Ardbeg shrine:
    http://whiskyblogg.se/images/stories/Reportage/IMG_1416.jpg

I was there at lunch yesterday, they had maybe 10+ different Yamazaki sorts. So huge single malt selection, lots of local beers on tap and good basic food.
  • President_Weasel 29 Apr 2012 22:41:12 8,870 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just opened a bottle of Green Spot, and I'm slightly disappointed. Not quite the earth-shattering experience I was expecting from the "I used to travel to Ireland and fill boot with bottles" hype.
    Eminently drinkable though.
  • BillMurray 5 May 2012 00:51:36 7,585 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got my glasses in the mail. They're bloody gorgeous.

• mal 5 May 2012 01:11:16 22,323 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Found a pub with Lagavulin behind the bar. May be back there again.

• Mr-Brett 5 May 2012 12:19:24 12,719 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BillMurray

Those are stunning, looking around online I see they don't come cheap.

Portable view - Never forget.

• mal 26 Jul 2012 00:13:28 22,323 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Needs must when the devil drives, and this evening I find myself experiencing the pleasures of an Asda Fancy Islay Whiskey. I was a bit confused by it at first, but on second tastings I'm getting an Iodine aftertaste if I don't overwater it. I reckon it's a 12 year independent bottling of Lagavulin. It's not got the body of the 16 year but it doesn't cost nearly what the 16 year costs in today's money either, so it's a tempting bargain.

Anyone know what the other supermarket bottlings are? I note Lidl do a Speyside single malt, but unfortunately Speyside single malts don't seem to be my thing, so I'll not be partaking no matter how cheap it is.

In fact, looking up all my favourite tipples, it seems all my favourites have something to do with the sea. Most of them are island malts, even if I didn't realise it, and the ones that aren't are from the coast.

In other news:

mal wrote:
    I wish I could remember where I'd been when I posted this, but unfortunately if I'm drunk enough to be ordering whiskey at bar prices, I'm too drunk to remember much else.

• elstoof 26 Jul 2012 07:32:03 6,461 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not tried the asda, but 12 year lagavulin goes for a pretty penny when they it's released officially at cask strength. Aldi were selling a 40 year old speyside for 50 quid a few months back so who knows eh.
  • President_Weasel 26 Jul 2012 10:57:47 8,870 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Needs must when the devil drives, and this evening I find myself experiencing the pleasures of an Asda Fancy Islay Whiskey. I was a bit confused by it at first, but on second tastings I'm getting an Iodine aftertaste if I don't overwater it. I reckon it's a 12 year independent bottling of Lagavulin. It's not got the body of the 16 year but it doesn't cost nearly what the 16 year costs in today's money either, so it's a tempting bargain.

Anyone know what the other supermarket bottlings are? I note Lidl do a Speyside single malt, but unfortunately Speyside single malts don't seem to be my thing, so I'll not be partaking no matter how cheap it is.

In fact, looking up all my favourite tipples, it seems all my favourites have something to do with the sea. Most of them are island malts, even if I didn't realise it, and the ones that aren't are from the coast.

In other news:

mal wrote:
    I wish I could remember where I'd been when I posted this, but unfortunately if I'm drunk enough to be ordering whiskey at bar prices, I'm too drunk to remember much else.
    I seem to be the exact opposite of you. I much prefer a Glengoyne or a speyside to a Lagavulin or a Laphroaig.
  • Rusty_M 29 Jul 2012 19:28:49 4,551 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just about to see whether I like the Laphroaig quarter cask, which isn't too pricey at the moment. I've yet to try a single malt I don't like, but I'm still new to this. Taking my time and all.

Edit: It's breathed now, and wow, that's nice. A touch sweeter initially than the usual Laphroaig I think. Still insanely peaty and smoky.

Edited by Rusty_M at 19:43:00 29-07-2012

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• mal 17 Aug 2012 02:55:57 22,323 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do we have a thread for shot-bought blends in here? I mean, I can see the point of quality blends, and I can see the point of decent single malts, oh boy I can, but to be honest it's sometimes worth having a range of shots when it calls for cocktails, as any fule kno. In respect of shop specific blends, I've currently sampled the Co-op, the Netto and the Asda bought Glen Foyle (their second-cheapest blend, and the first one that claimed an age). I'd have to say that so far I've preferred to Co-op and a close second the Asda. The Netto was drinkable - indeed, I drank it - but only with a mixer. Indeed, there are single malts that I would leave in preference for a shot of Co-op blended whisky. I guess it takes all sorts, eh?

• Rusty_M 17 Aug 2012 06:47:41 4,551 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote
    as any fule kno.
    Deep Purple fan?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• mal 18 Aug 2012 02:44:57 22,323 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Molesworth, dear chap.

In other news, I got very drunk last night.

• Mr-Brett 18 Aug 2012 09:53:48 12,719 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This'll be the place you're looking for.

• Lexx87 31 Aug 2012 00:49:32 20,869 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Went a little bit mad today, and decided to buy my first stupidly priced whisky.

Picked up a Yamazaki 18 yr...

Speak the truth hussy!

• grey_matters 28 Sep 2012 00:16:55 3,649 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any suggestions for a gift whisk(e)y?

It is just a "thank you" gift and doesn't have to be awesome. Something mid-range but interesting is what I'm thinking but I really don't know much about this wonderful liquid.
  • mal 28 Sep 2012 04:03:44 22,323 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd go for a bottle of Old Pultenay. It's not a cool whisky, but it's a proper single malt, and a good one in my book. It also has the benefit of being one of the cheaper whiskys at only about 25 quid a bottle, available in many supermarkets. You can get cheaper single malts with supermarket brands, but I guess if you're buying own brands you're sending the wrong message. If 25 quid is too much there are plenty of decent blends which could send the right message, but this isn't the right thread for that, and I couldn't advise.

• grey_matters 28 Sep 2012 04:41:19 3,649 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great stuff, mal. I'll have a look out for that. I'd probably go up to 40-ish if there was an even better choice around that kind of range (can't believe I didn't include a budget).
  • elstoof 14 Dec 2012 21:13:48 6,461 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just opened my Christmas glugger, I mean, one to savour, a Talisker 10. About as much bang as you can hope to get for your buck, especially at the 25 it's available for at the moment.
  • EMarkM 14 Dec 2012 21:25:08 3,171 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished the Balvenie Double Wood and, shock of shocks, the house is now empty of whisky.

In the mood for a Caol Ila I think...
  • EMarkM 14 Dec 2012 21:27:07 3,171 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Picked up a Yamazaki 18 yr...
    You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.
  • elstoof 14 Dec 2012 21:34:59 6,461 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Always had a soft spot for The Balvenie, not had a bottle for years though. I think that's because the last I had was a 21 year old and didn't really know where to go from there.
  • Mr-Brett 14 Dec 2012 23:16:58 12,719 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm a big fan of Balvenie and especially the double wood, lovely stuff!

• mrharvest 15 Dec 2012 04:16:54 5,172 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My in-laws brought me a bottle of the basic Ardbeg as a Christmas present - it's my first single malt in over a year and it's fucking delish.

(Edit for clarification: it's not 4am here nor am I drunk on the aforementioned nectar of gods.)

Edited by mrharvest at 04:20:00 15-12-2012
  • Page

of 23 First / Last