The Single Malt Thread

• Page

of 23 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 10 November 2005 21:27:58
    Just did a search for "Ardbeg" and came up with nothing, except Mr Harvest's comment in a favourite drinks thread:

I like whiskys. It's probably a tie between Lagavulin and Ardbeg as which is my favourite distiller. The Ardbeg seems a bit irregular. Once we bought with my friends five bottles from different batches and compared them because based on individual tastings they seemed to have considerable difference in character. Of course most of the islays you can get your hands on are rather nice. The Bowmore more special bottlings have all be quite entertaining. Of highlands Glenmorangie is high in my regard.

The reason I'm starting this thread is that a mate's gathering people tomorrow evening for whisky tasting, with professional help: one of those somel.. something* will host it, with each couple having to buy a bottle, the GF and I having the honour to bring an Ardbeg bottle, which is also probably my favourite one. I've never thought about the different flavours, tomorrow I'll buy a 10 years old from a new Connoisseurs Choice edition which I've never had before.

Talisker is another long-time favourite and a half-empty (*cry*) bottle of Oban Distiller's Edition that has this lovely sea water taste/smell about it. Any other single malt fanboy around here?

*som·me·lier A restaurant employee who orders and maintains the wines sold in the restaurant and usually has extensive knowledge about wine and food pairings.
  • Syrette 10 Nov 2005 21:35:18 43,061 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i like it with Pepsi.

;)

• Deleted user 10 November 2005 21:37:46
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    i like it with Pepsi.
    *collapses into fetal position*

WHYYYYYYYYYYY
  • deem 10 Nov 2005 21:39:08 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 10 November 2005 21:41:22
    deem, they're right, you know!

Another favourite, didn't dare to spell its name... :D
  • mrharvest 10 Nov 2005 23:09:43 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Umm yeah. Currently I've got a Glenmorangie 12yo Rum Cask, seems to fit well in the recent trend of special casks. For instance try Bowmore Claret if you get a chance.
    The other bottle I've got for the time being is Dalwhinnie 15yo, unfortunately it was something of a disappointment. It might open up with time, it does have a nice caramel tone (added caramelised sugar for colour, maybe). I had a Balblair 24yo which was surprisingly harsh for its age but when I left it half bottle it came out quite nicely after it had a chance to breathe.

Of course I didn't have anything with me when I moved and now I'll somehow try to build up a stock out of my meagre student's pocket money.

Oh, one distillery worth a mention in my opinion; Scapa. It seems they don't produce anymore so finding their stuff could be difficult but a couple of years ago there was plenty available.
  • Deleted user 12 November 2005 00:19:25
    Cheers about the Scapa mention, will keep an eye for it!

I'm back from the sample evening the 10 of us had, slightly round under the feet as they say over here... the sommelier was great, professional and with lots of interesting stories about the malts. She works full time with Glenmorangie, presenting it to people all around Scandinavia since there's been such a whisky boom since the mid-90s. Can't say I wouldn't like her job! :)

Anyway, we sampled 5 bottles, in smokey order weak to strong:

Glenmorangie 10 yrs
    Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood
    Aberlour Sherry Wood
    The Ardbeg mentioned in the first post
    Laphroig

Both the Burgundy and the Sherry variants were new to me and they were quite exciting next to the others. I was very impressed with the standard Glenmorangie, a bottle I've been sort of ignoring on the shop shells a lot. The Aberlour was very nice too, probably the easiest to drink because of its light cocoa/butter taste.

The Ardbeg was, IMO, a slight dissapointment next to the Laphroig and was quite inferior to the standard 10 yo Ardbeg (green bottle, black label) which still remains my all time favourite. She mentioned last year's Connoiseur's Ardbeg being of very high quality, but agreed that this one (1995) was not so good.

Bed ways is right ways now, those two glasses of red wine (from different bottles) with the fish stew were possibly a misstake, my stomach and head will have a protest meeting with the rest of me tomorrow!
  • mrharvest 12 Nov 2005 01:11:41 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pity to hear about the Ardbeg Connoiseurs not living up to the expectations.

Scapa was one of the Defenders of the Malt with Laphroig and Glendronach (was out of business between 1995-2004). It was a pretty big campaign and there was also a video out among other things.
  • ssuellid 12 Nov 2005 08:50:32 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    valli wrote:
    Just did a search for "Ardbeg" and came up with nothing, except Mr Harvest's comment in a favourite drinks thread:.

Must be on ignore then. Same thread - with link to Islay malts site.
  • Deleted user 12 November 2005 09:00:53
    ssuellid: I still only get two hits searching for "ardbeg"...
  • ssuellid 12 Nov 2005 09:03:00 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its in the same thread.

ssuellid wrote:
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    It's probably a tie between Lagavulin and Ardbeg as which is my favourite distiller. The Ardbeg seems a bit irregular

Bit evil to link to this. The Ardbeg Uigeadail is worth a try. I prefer Laphroaig - but I have stopped drinking whisky.
  • ssuellid 12 Nov 2005 09:07:01 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Worth getting an Islay Collection just to discover why Port Ellen is so expensive.
  • Pike 12 Nov 2005 13:18:56 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh!

When I saw the thread title my first thought was to make a post about Ardbeg and Lagavulin, wich are my favourites as well. Lagavulin's 16 year old was actually the first single malt I tried and it was love at first taste. I've been partial to the Islay malts ever since.

Nice to hear that you like the ten year old Ardbeg, Valli. I haven't actually tried that one. I've only tried their 17 year old, wich is sublime.
  • Deleted user 12 November 2005 16:37:52
    Pike, I think I tried that one (it was over 15 years at least) 1,5 years ago at the Ardbeg Room restaurant in Stockholm, one of the best whiskies I've ever tested.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2005 11:32:08
    I tried last night for the first time the Laphroaig Quarter Cask and it was bloody amazing! Very interesting read about how they do it can be found on the dedicated site. Basically they tried to simulate the conditions whisky was made under 200 of years ago, by skipping the filtering, lowering the age and using smaller oak casks. If you like Laphroaig and its peaty friends, you'll love this one.

The next on the list is the cask strength whisky, didn't even know L. are doing all these different variations. Happy winter days for me I guess! :)
  • Murbal 18 Nov 2005 11:44:10 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Talisker for me please :-)
  • mrharvest 11 Nov 2006 20:14:59 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm bumping this thread.
    As some of you may know a new distillery, called Kilchoman, started operation on Islay last year. Anyway, they are selling bonds for casks. I think a Eurogamer barrel of Islay single malt would be pretty mad. Anyone interested? :D
  • mrharvest 9 Apr 2007 14:17:26 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *Bump*

I'm ashamed of you fellow whisky aficionados! How can this thread go unreplied for this long?

Today's topic:
    Ardbeg Almost There
    Slightly richer than the regular Ardbeg, oilier. Not quite as refined as Uigeadail or Airigh Nam Beist (of which the prior is as subtle as a punch in the face but utterly sublime).
    Unfortunately it has that 'limited edition' extra on the price tag.
  • Deleted user 21 October 2007 21:55:12
    I was stupid enough not to order a bottle of "Ardbeg Very Young" 2 years ago when they were kind enough to inform me about the offer they had on the site. When I finally woke up 3 weeks later, it had sold out.

Today's 6 months bump is because of Lagavulin Double Matured. The so called Classic Malts range are available in a double matured edition and I've tried them all except LDM. So, has anyone tasted it?
  • PinkSpider 21 Oct 2007 21:57:29 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love a good Ardbeg me. I think Tesco are doing it cheap (them or asda) at the moment. And by cheap I mean a few quid off.

There is a pub here in Hull which has loads of single malts.

Islay types are my fave though! Also, I did like the Japanese whisky they had in for abit.
  • Deleted user 21 October 2007 22:03:13
    /puts Ardbeg on shopping list

Though I am enjoying this Port Wood Finish Glenmorangie at the moment...

...then I have that Sherry Wood Finish bottle to get though as well...

But after that...!
  • mrharvest 21 Oct 2007 22:21:10 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    valli wrote:
    I was stupid enough not to order a bottle of "Ardbeg Very Young" 2 years ago when they were kind enough to inform me about the offer they had on the site. When I finally woke up 3 weeks later, it had sold out.
    Heh, speaking of very young whiskys... I'm having a Port Charlotte PC6 (from the Bruichladdich people). It's obviously priced at the "let's fleece what we can from the collectors" bracket but it's almost worth it (!). It's not mellow or gentle, but it makes up for that in being incredibly lively and showing surprising strong character for such a young bottling. It's peaty, powerful, salty, with herbs (basil, rosemary?) and fruit (apple and peach) to round it off. The almost in "almost worth it" comes from the fact that the port finish has left it a bit sweeter than I'd prefer.

PinkSpider wrote:
    Islay types are my fave though! Also, I did like the Japanese whisky they had in for abit.
    Was it Yoichi? That's quite well known. It isn't the same kind of good as Scotch whisky, but it's interesting in its own right. It has a fairly dominating ashen taste as far as I can remember.
  • mrharvest 25 Feb 2008 01:00:52 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hot tip of the day:
    Oddbins has at the moment a single cask bottling of Highland Park. Yes, yes, I know: the distillery is perhaps not regarded as producing the most original whisky. But this bottling is something completely different to the regular Highland Park. It's absolutely beautiful.

It comes in a clear glass bottle, and for a very good reason. It's so you aren't surprised when you pour it: it's the colour of well steeped tea. The nose is sweet, balanced and slightly phenolic. But the taste? What a rush. I'll spare any superlatives I might put here but it's something you have to experience for yourself.

It's not an Islay. It's not a highland. It is certainly not the 'greatest all-rounder'. It's just something very, very different. It takes a bit of effort to get the dilution ratio right but when you do it rewards you with a lovely complexity, a full body, a delicate balance between all the elements and most of all it's tremendously fun.
  • BanjoMan 5 Mar 2008 11:13:29 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm into fine bourbon - Woodford's, Maker's Mark, Elijah Craig, Wild Turkey.

But I also like Tallisker. Might try a few more single malts.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• smoothpete 5 Mar 2008 11:16:52 31,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I went up to the highlands recently, with a mate who has a nice collection of single malts, here's about half of what he has. My favourite by a mile was the Dalmore, lovely and rich
  • BanjoMan 5 Mar 2008 11:18:29 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice set-up. We've got a drinks cabinet at last - and some nice Hungarian crystal tumblers, which were a wedding gift.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Carlo 5 Mar 2008 11:20:33 17,948 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm gutted. GUTTED!

Missed the Whiskey show in London, it was last Saturday :((((

PSN ID: Djini

• Murbal 5 Mar 2008 11:22:18 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I went up to the highlands recently, with a mate who has a nice collection of single malts, here's about half of what he has. My favourite by a mile was the Dalmore, lovely and rich

Great to see the stuff's not just for show!
  • smoothpete 5 Mar 2008 11:29:01 31,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

Great to see the stuff's not just for show!
    well the thing was, he set that up in the cottage we went to literally as soon as we arrived before he'd even unstrapped his kid from the car seat! He certainly had his priorities straight anyway.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last

Previous