Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh, not changed much then

12 years ago for me (undergraduate anyway). Christ
  • LionheartDJH 14 Jun 2013 20:03:04 19,549 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well done GuiltySpark!

Wow this thread brings back a few memories! Only 2 years but seems a lot longer ago.

Random question but anyone have any experience of MBAs?

She dives for cheese pasties

• monkehhh 30 Mar 2014 18:59:12 3,525 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Second year of the masters done, guaranteed a distinction (so far) unless I totally ballsed up that last assignment. Just the dissertation to go.. but now, beer and pizza.
  • Metalfish 30 Mar 2014 19:01:59 8,874 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    So happy, I was definitely expecting the worst. And now, to either do PGCE or something similar like Schools Direct.
    Don't throw your life away!
  • GuiltySpark 30 Mar 2014 20:18:42 6,470 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha, explain. I plan on applying for a PGCE in then next month or so!

Get bent.

• Ginger 30 Mar 2014 20:27:27 6,921 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Ha, explain. I plan on applying for a PGCE in then next month or so!
    Seriously try it out before you do this - I know from a few friends of friends that teaching is really tough going at the minute. Hours and hours of prep every evening.

London open taekwondo champion

• Carlo 30 Mar 2014 21:50:57 18,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've signed up for my masters. Work's sponsoring me to do my MSc in Technology Management (http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/qualification/f36.htm).

Start next month, can't wait!

PSN ID: Djini

• monkehhh 30 Mar 2014 22:07:24 3,525 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice one Carlo.. quite weird when work (or my work) pays for something like this, I know someone is still aware of it (because they're still paying) but no-one mentions it in terms of my job. It is a large company and I'm enjoying it anyway, so it's all good. And will no doubt help if I want to go somewhere else :)
  • Syrette 30 Mar 2014 22:15:39 44,270 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn this thread is depressing. Still yet to beat my student days. Don't dare read the first few pages of this as I no doubt wrote some utter nonsense.

• DanoFNG 30 Mar 2014 22:34:41 208 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My time as an undergraduate will be coming to an end in just two short months. :(

It's a cliche but the last four years really have flown by. Such good times and great memories.
  • Carlo 30 Mar 2014 22:35:02 18,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was all very peculiar. My manager sent his request in (I didn't know at the time), as did a member of my staff.

I went to HR and spoke to them about what the application should look like when he gave me his request (basically, I was told the budget is there, but to think about the spend my company was going to make, and do the write appropriate to that amount - so basically, write a few paragraphs justifying the cost, not a few lines saying "it'll be really good, pay lol"!), because his application was very short. I went back to him and told him to re-write the application and gave him several pointers, which thankfully he took up on what the length should be, and what things need to be covered in the application to help justify it.

My application and his were both submitted, with the cost breakdown, justification, course details, basically everything right in front of the director leaving nothing unknown.

Both of ours got approved. That's about 32k over the next couple of years or so on us both, so we're very much in a state of shock that we both secured our courses.

My manager didn't get his.

I suspect it was all in the way it was submitted. I don't think he was as verbose in his application, if it was written at all! The direction I told my guy to write his was to imagine the document you write and all the explanations should be sufficient so the approver would need not write a single line to have to justify the expense to anyone senior to him - i.e. do his work for him. It'll then make him saying 'yes' as easy as possible for him, and therefore far more likely.

It seemed to work. I suspect a lot of things like this are like that. Anyone who has to approve of these kinds of expenditures doesn't want to the level of engagement you might feel he needs to provide in order to approve it. The budget is there (HR was kind enough to tell me), and it's pre-approved for the department but discretionary to the Director, but he's got more important things to deal with so he just wants nice pre-packaged requests where it's all summed up nicely for him. He just wants to approve it, show he's investing in his staff and justifying the budget with well written, accurately targeted investments in staff.

The last hurdle is getting the finance department to actually pay the OU, and the training department to fill in the forms the OU needs to secure my place. Again, people are happy to rubber stamp things, if you do all their work for them and present it basically completed for them.

Edited by Carlo at 22:36:29 30-03-2014

• monkehhh 30 Mar 2014 22:39:45 3,525 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Carlo ah, business!

Working in a (heavily regulated) monopoly I guess the government or our customers will be, ultimately, paying for my masters. I sent in my MSc application along with another guy's for a BSc in Engineering and we didn't hear anything for a few months. We both assumed it wasn't going to happen, but it seems they were just waiting for financial year-end (hello, new budget) and confirmation of where they could claim the costs back from. Two years in and I've written many thousands of words..
  • Carlo 30 Mar 2014 22:57:37 18,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There was a moment of doubt, when I wondered is there much point in doing one this late in my career (I'm basically 40 now, management, and technical lead in my areas of expertise) but this one I'm really doing for myself, and to access the higher levels of management in businesses (VP & Director level stuff).

I think it'll take me to early/mid forties to get, so I'll get a good ten years before the inevitable slow wind-down to full retirement.

I'd say the thing that I'm most looking forward to from a purely academic point of view is the 'critical thinking' aspect to it.

The Science of Thinking, amirite?!

• monkehhh 30 Mar 2014 23:11:26 3,525 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I find it really interesting, especially having to write in a heavily-academic style (referencing *everything*, no contractions, no "I", etc) was a shock at first (at 31) - I didn't try very hard for my bachelors back when I was in my late teens :) I'd say do the work as it comes up and don't leave it to the deadline, but inevitably people do leave it and then you have the final weekend of panic, pain and finally relief.
  • RedSparrows 30 Mar 2014 23:27:26 24,284 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm speaking at my first conference in June. Already shitting myself, especially as I'm on a panel at a Modernism conference and none of my work has anything to do with Modernism.

That's academia for you.
  • Dgzter 30 Mar 2014 23:49:09 225 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RedSparrows :) I actually just (finally!) finished my doctorate at the start of this year, but undoubtedly doing the conference circuit was the best part of the PhD for me. Had to give a paper at Glastonbury Abbey last year on some dusty old Latin chronicles; the crowd was, eh, a tad diverse :)
  • RedSparrows 31 Mar 2014 00:10:17 24,284 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice! I hope to start a doctorate next year. I applied to do one a couple years back and didn't get in. Going back with (hopefully) a book and 2.5 years work on a research project, and probably a 'and thank you very much, motherfuckers' :D

I fluctuate between absurdly confident and a nervous wreck.
  • Carlo 28 May 2014 12:28:58 18,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    I'd say do the work as it comes up and don't leave it to the deadline, but inevitably people do leave it and then you have the final weekend of panic, pain and finally relief.
    First paper submitted... A day early no less! There was some panic ("Shit, only got 2 days, better start the final section which is worth 60% of the marks").

...and now... we wait...

First academic paper in 20 years for me... I'm trying to decide if things have got easier, or harder. :S

• Page

of 90 First / Last

Next