The University Thread Page 89

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• kalel 13 Jun 2013 17:45:22 87,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not really in marketing as such. I work at a brand design agency, but it's the flip side of marketing I suppose.

But really I'm looking for specific skills and characteristic, and certain degrees are a good indicator they'll have them. I need people who can do deep research and pull out insights and build arguments. A good degree in a humanity subject from a good university is generally a fairly good indicator that person will have the stones. Certainly enough for me to interview them anyway.
  • Shikasama 13 Jun 2013 17:47:30 6,837 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    I got a First in my degree

Your in Marketing
    GOOD LORD
    See what I mean? Appalling :D

Fair enough, I also work in a marketing spin off but I place much less value on a degree. Mostly framed by personal experience, I watched people break a testicle getting a Third and people coast to getting a First, but you're right in highlighting the value in getting into interview at some places with that box ticked.

I genuinely believe it'll be less an less important as time goes on though. I never thought I'd say this but I wouldn't direct my kids towards University (if I had them) these days, unless they actually wanted to go.

A far cry from my upbringing all the way through school which was University or be a plumber.

Edited by Shikasama at 17:52:13 13-06-2013
  • Deleted user 13 June 2013 17:50:49
    Graduated over two years ago and only starting my career proper this year. Done plenty of good/impressive jobs since but not the specific route I wanted until now. What I have done should see me well in the future (unlike some who went straight into it) but it is a bit depressing it has taken so long.
  • RedSparrows 13 Jun 2013 17:57:47 22,735 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a very common thing to do, that. I did it, and it was a mistake: only so far as I should have done a better MA at a better uni. I only came to realise I loved what I was doing after I'd made all the decisions. Idiot.

But then again, an MA is good to have, if you can afford it. Sucky time to graduate, for sure. Has been for years though.
  • Shikasama 13 Jun 2013 18:00:19 6,837 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah going on to do an Mphil was my original plan - got on the course but was priced out of it pretty dramatically.

It was pretty obscene the amount of money they asked for. Then I went off to be homeless for a bit.
  • jamievilla 13 Jun 2013 18:01:57 535 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In Marketing as well, for about 8 years now. Although my degree had nothing to do with my career the guy that hired me fully admitted that he only gave me a shot because I had a degree.

I still think its as much down to the life experience as it is the education, the cost was ridiculous then (still paying student loans) and is even more so now. Not sure whether I would go again, given the chance to replay things.
  • kalel 13 Jun 2013 18:05:15 87,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did an MA as an additional degree, and frankly I did it to buy myself another year of spending all day on the couch getting mashed and playing Soul Calibur. But more by fluke than anything, it's actually tuend out to be quite important in my career.
  • Deleted user 13 June 2013 19:17:25
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Results tomorrow, completely bricking it.
    Good luck man! been 4 years this month since i left. And not doing great. doing suprrmarket work atm and its doing my head in. not all bad. paid off overdraft brought a fair bit of equipment, share a flat and now starting to save a little money. adult life!

Just at that point now where i need to make a change. Thinking of a bit of travelling, going back to do a masters or move up country, probably london and be in a place which is a lot more constructive to my photography. (galleries, darkrooms exhibtions and contacts!)

My sister left last year and got a job last month. really happy for her. she writing for a magazine and done her first editoral peice for next month magazine.
  • DaM 13 Jun 2013 19:30:39 13,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good luck GuiltySpark! I remember that day, I think I had a bottle of wine before I got it... I was predicted a 3rd/2:2 but somehow scraped a 2:1 much to everyone's surprise.
  • Deleted user 13 June 2013 19:38:49
    Would love to do a masters. Just absolutely cannot afford it. Fortunate being Scottish my first degree was free but my pg diploma cost a fucking ton.
  • DaM 13 Jun 2013 19:42:39 13,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Would love to do a masters. Just absolutely cannot afford it. Fortunate being Scottish my first degree was free but my pg diploma cost a fucking ton.
    I thought you had just landed your dream job?

I managed a BSc, PhD and MSc for free :)
  • Deleted user 13 June 2013 20:23:38
    I did, but it just took longer than I wanted!

Holy shit, you are a PHD?! What in?
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Jun 2013 20:38:13 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Results tomorrow, completely bricking it.
    Good luck.
    My results day was thrown by my close friend's girlfriend splitting up with him (it was his results day at the same uni)... Not just breaking up, a note saying have a nice life, I've gone back to china, here's your engagement ring.

I got a 2:1 in Marketing, ha
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Jun 2013 20:39:46 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also.

I'm in advertising, and a degree is often the first filter to thin out the numbers.
  • DaM 13 Jun 2013 20:50:07 13,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

I had to think for a second, but Biochemistry - comes in very handy knocking together lanyard websites :)
  • GuiltySpark 14 Jun 2013 15:27:01 6,387 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I also got a 2.1 in English. I have no idea how, I wrote my dissertation in three days and I managed to get two marks from a First. Reading this thread back, there's me not even being able to think of a topic ha.

So happy, I was definitely expecting the worst. And now, to either do PGCE or something similar like Schools Direct.

Get bent.

• RedSparrows 14 Jun 2013 15:36:35 22,735 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Congrats!

Dissertation in 3 days makes me sick.

;)
  • Deleted user 14 June 2013 15:58:40
    Congrats!

Also did my dissertation in a couple days (and nights). One fucking mark of a first. Still annoyed.
  • Shikasama 14 Jun 2013 15:59:26 6,837 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Congratulations, good luck with what comes next!
  • Steve_Perry 14 Jun 2013 16:02:02 4,261 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    2:1 in English Literature, but I hated the course after the first year. It focused heavily on gender politics, and often castigated "dead white men" for being the evil, racist, sexist bastards that they apparently were.

Student life was a bit of an eye-opener for me. The majority of students on my course were wealthy, privately educated and utterly naive about the reality of everyday life for the majority of Britons. I remember chuckling to myself when I walked past two girls in the student cafeteria and one said to the other "Daddy is a barrister." Seriously. Where I come from we either don't know our "Daddies", or we refer to them as "My old man" :lol:
    That's students for you generally. I was sat opposite 4 of them in a coffee shop yesterday lunch and the conversation was nauseating. ONE GUY JUST LIKE HAD TO TALK REALLY LOUD FOR SOME REASON, and this other girl had a serious case of verbal diarrhea. She just spouted everything out which popped in her tiny mind. The external monologue of a stupid cunt.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• RedSparrows 14 Jun 2013 16:10:55 22,735 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not every student. That's most Young People. ;)
  • Steve_Perry 14 Jun 2013 16:14:00 4,261 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    True. Shoot em on sight I say.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• GuiltySpark 14 Jun 2013 16:17:59 6,387 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The bus to Uni was always the worst, with students having extremely loud "intellectual" debates, whilst wearing their oversized headphones that probably aren't even plugged into anything.

Get bent.

• onestepfromlost 14 Jun 2013 16:21:26 2,070 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's why im dreading going back if I get my grades from my HND. Went to the Glasgow Uni open day, pretty much everyone there was 17, I'm 33. Can't wait for the chat :p
  • Steve_Perry 14 Jun 2013 16:23:11 4,261 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I loved uni but I couldn't fucking stand the majority of people there. I made some great friends at the same time, but there were an awful lot of posturing, posing mongoloids about the place. SHOOT EM ON SIGHT.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Steve_Perry 14 Jun 2013 16:24:03 4,261 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    That's why im dreading going back if I get my grades from my HND. Went to the Glasgow Uni open day, pretty much everyone there was 17, I'm 33. Can't wait for the chat :p
    To be fair, I used to get on better with the couple of mature students on my course. Not all of the younger students are mongs. Just most of them.

Edited by Steve_Perry at 16:26:33 14-06-2013

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Deleted user 14 June 2013 16:49:12
    DaM wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

I had to think for a second, but Biochemistry - comes in very handy knocking together lanyard websites :)
    Missed this.

How incredibly random but awesome at the same time.
  • DaM 14 Jun 2013 18:06:37 13,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well done GuiltySpark! I'm assuming he's away getting pished now :)

Even thought I don't use my science degrees, I don't regret them at all. I realised I was never going to be great as a scientist, so did an MSc in IT - at Glasgow Uni onestepfrom lost, at 32...with other graduates though, so a good mix of ages.
  • Blotto 14 Jun 2013 18:12:41 2,776 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    Student life was a bit of an eye-opener for me. The majority of students on my course were wealthy, privately educated and utterly naive about the reality of everyday life for the majority of Britons. I remember chuckling to myself when I walked past two girls in the student cafeteria and one said to the other "Daddy is a barrister." Seriously. Where I come from we either don't know our "Daddies", or we refer to them as "My old man" :lol:
    I'm at Uni now and my experience is pretty much the opposite. Everyone trying desperately to play down any sort of privilege they had and portray themselves as working class heroes whilst attacking anyone who didn't grow up dirt poor.
  • Page

of 90 First / Last