The Eurogamer HDTV Guide Page 113

• Page

of 135 First / Last

• kalel 13 May 2013 16:30:29 83,871 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have a very VERY close look at the exact model number and spec when buying from Richer Sounds. They often have slightly different versions of TVs that are actually noticeably inferior when you really compare the specs. For example, the "t" on the end of that model number is making me very suspicious. I very nearly got duped into buying a Panny from there years ago which when I did a bit of research on AV forums and such turned out to be very flawed.

They are cheap for a reason. They can't just magically charge less than everyone else.
  • DrStrangelove 13 May 2013 16:36:00 2,550 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @kalel

I think they're doing that everywhere. Sell years-old TVs with an impressive discount price tag. You should always check what it is they're trying to sell you, I think often cheap new panels are better than expensive old ones.
  • CharlieStCloud 13 May 2013 17:00:10 4,660 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ta for the advice chaps.

... I think I will buy a TV in-store from John Lewis anyway because I'd rather SEE what I am buying, especially something reasonably dear!

I had a look on the Sony website and I like their new televisions too.

It is not easy to choose, is it?
  • DrStrangelove 13 May 2013 17:03:41 2,550 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Be careful with stores because they tend to be brightly lit and plasma screens tend to look bad there. In dim or dark conditions (which is what you'd want to have a home cinema for) they're usually better than LCDs.

I think that's actually the main reason for the demise of plasma screens. They look bad in stores.
  • kalel 13 May 2013 17:09:32 83,871 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not saying the Richer Sounds one IS a con, just be a bit careful with them, and be sure you're getting what you think you are. If they have the same telly as John Lewis for lots less, then go for it.
  • Widge Moderator 14 May 2013 09:34:13 12,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Have a very VERY close look at the exact model number and spec when buying from Richer Sounds. They often have slightly different versions of TVs that are actually noticeably inferior when you really compare the specs. For example, the "t" on the end of that model number is making me very suspicious. I very nearly got duped into buying a Panny from there years ago which when I did a bit of research on AV forums and such turned out to be very flawed.

They are cheap for a reason. They can't just magically charge less than everyone else.
    I think the T is legit in this case, just gets dropped when people talk about it - think the official name is pfl8007T-12. It *was* 999 when I was sifting around last and is getting discounted now that X008 range is starting to appear.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Widge Moderator 14 May 2013 09:34:53 12,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

_ _ _

• robthehermit 14 May 2013 09:41:45 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• monkehhh 14 May 2013 13:19:02 3,125 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All fixed, no more lines \o/

As suggested, if anything else breaks in the next 6 years it'll be going back :)
  • wobbly_Bob 14 May 2013 16:36:01 1,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cool! Glad it's sorted. Hopefully nothing else breaks :-)
  • monkehhh 14 May 2013 18:57:34 3,125 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob Yeah, all looking good.. fingers crossed. Makes a nice PC monitor :)
  • byron_hinson 17 May 2013 16:12:50 1,501 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    @Widge

'799-ish' for the 8000 series?

... whereabouts?!

: O
    8007 is last years - this year is the 8008

6008 model is supposed to be this years sweet spot. Though the philips smart tv features are awfully slow.

Edited by byron_hinson at 16:14:37 17-05-2013
  • Widge Moderator 17 May 2013 16:23:30 12,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Although the 8007 would have the superior picture technology and 3 channel ambilight.

Smart TV I can do without, thankfully, as I have a PC plugged into the thing!

_ _ _

• wobbly_Bob 24 May 2013 15:10:34 1,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally took the plunge... This bad boy is arriving tomorrow :-D

55" LED 3D smart tv with duel core processor. One of the reasons I went with the LG is that they are one of the very few doing passive 3D which I like much better for various reasons.

Can't WAIT! Very excited! It dosen't come with the magic remote. It's a feature I really like but will have to wait till pay day now to get that :-) still.... I AM EXCITE!!!!

Got Avengers on Blu-Ray 3D too...

Have I mentioned I am excited?

/is excited.
  • wobbly_Bob 24 May 2013 15:16:24 1,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also... I got this to go with it!

Yamaha 7.1-channel virtual surround 120w sound bar.

I got this a few days ago. I set it up and very impressed with the sound. Good times. It's CHRISTMAS!
  • Maturin 24 May 2013 15:20:31 2,731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:

55" LED 3D smart tv with duel core processor. One of the reasons I went with the LG is that they are one of the very few doing passive 3D which I like much better for various reasons.

Can't WAIT! Very excited! It dosen't come with the magic remote. It's a feature I really like but will have to wait till pay day now to get that :-) still.... I AM EXCITE!!!!

/is excited.
    I've got the 32" version in my study. It's very good.

I have an older LG 3D monitor on my desk and the passive 3D is a bit pish - as it's every other line per eye. And they tellies were the same too.

But LG updated the firmware on the TVs to run a fast interlaced 1080i signal for passive 3D and now the 3D on the tellies is excellent.

I've got my TV next to my desk. I can sit on a beanbag rather than at my desk and play 1080p60 PC games on it, and I've got my PS3 and X360 there too.

Edited by Maturin at 15:20:45 24-05-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 24 May 2013 17:57:17 1,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cool, I have a bean bag too - and love sitting in it. I especially like to sit right in frount of the TV and play driving games. It feels really immersive when I'm sat that way.

This is my first experience of home 3D or smart TV so hoping it's good :-)
  • Rodriguez 24 May 2013 22:09:34 1,080 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob

wobbly_Bob wrote:

/is excited.
    Nice one dude :D I've been looking at the 42" version of that 3D model LG, though I'm not sure I'll jump in just yet or get a new TV next year instead, especially as I'm planning an early jump into one of the next-gen consoles (mug that I am)!

I like that these models also have a feature where the TV can provide a 'full-screen' image for both players in split-screen games! You just need to buy a pair of these special glasses for each player to use.

As for the magic remote stuff, if you have a smart phone you can download the free LG remote app that will synch with the TV and you can then drag the mouse cursor around the TV screen by sliding your finger over your phone screen! It also has remote 'buttons' to press too! I'm on Android and the the app has a really good rating from users in the Google Play store.

I'll keep my eye on the thread over the next few days to see what you think of the screen/picture quality/features etc ;)
  • wobbly_Bob 24 May 2013 22:25:07 1,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good heads up on the remote! I downloaded on my Samsung tab :) cheers, I'll give that a whirl tomorrow.

I got those dual play glasses since my other half likes games too and it's another reason I got this tv. I'll try it out tomorrow with Terraria.

Will update on my impressions tomorrow!
  • wobbly_Bob 25 May 2013 15:48:40 1,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GOT IT! and....... IT'S BLOODY MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol So THIS is what people mean by home cinema ;) So far really happy. I haven't had a chance to muck around much yet but even free view looks awesome!

<-- is a happy bunny.
  • Maturin 25 May 2013 17:50:27 2,731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does your model come with the wifi dongle Bob?

I had to buy one for mine.
  • CharlieStCloud 25 May 2013 18:02:25 4,660 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    GOT IT! and....... IT'S BLOODY MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... which burger are you talking about this time?

You are going to have to take a photo, you know!
  • robthehermit 25 May 2013 18:06:51 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Good heads up on the remote! I downloaded on my Samsung tab :) cheers, I'll give that a whirl tomorrow.

I got those dual play glasses since my other half likes games too and it's another reason I got this tv. I'll try it out tomorrow with Terraria.

I found the Dual Play feature to be a bit rubbish on my LG, the 2D to 3D upscaling works brilliantly though.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Maturin 25 May 2013 18:16:56 2,731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    The 2D to 3D upscaling works brilliantly though.
    I've had my telly for months and never actually tried that. I'll give it a go.

Edited by Maturin at 18:17:08 25-05-2013
  • Deleted user 25 May 2013 18:23:18
    Has anyone had a chance to check out the new Sony Triluminos(quantum dot) screens yet and could say what they made of them compared to the (spectacularly good) HX853 (previous) model and other manufacturer new technologies?

I'm still probably 12months away from buying a new TV but figure now is the time to start researching TV and amp upgrade options.

As a slightly more out-there question, has anyone tried painting their lounge/games room a blend of off-red, mixed with off-green paint to get a triliuminos-esq result? I'm tempted to try it, but would probably need to know it improves colour perception in advance.
  • wobbly_Bob 25 May 2013 19:45:31 1,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Does your model come with the wifi dongle Bob?

I had to buy one for mine.
    It has the wifi built in, handily :)
  • wobbly_Bob 25 May 2013 19:48:02 1,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:

I found the Dual Play feature to be a bit rubbish on my LG, the 2D to 3D upscaling works brilliantly though.
    Only had a quick try with Terraria and seems to work brilliantly. However, it's not got much movement or complexity so maybe that's why. I'll try it with some other titles and see how it goes.
  • wobbly_Bob 25 May 2013 19:51:47 1,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    General update :)

TV is amazing. The picture is great, very sharp with deep blacks. The 3D has really knocked my socks off! I have seen a fair few 3D movies at the cinema but this blows that away. The 2D to 3D upscaling works brilliantly too.

All in all very impressed.

/leaves to watch Avengers Assemble in 3D :-D
  • Page

of 135 First / Last