Best gaming mouse? Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Whizzo 18 Jul 2007 09:16:03 43,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Logitech mice I've used on my home PCs (MX510/518) have been great, not only do they just work very well, wrist ache from a long session has disappeared.

This space left intentionally blank.

• The-Old-Bill 18 Jul 2007 09:19:18 5,101 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razer Deathadder benchmarks pretty well, in all honestly it's pretty damn comfy too. I'd suggest it
  • PearOfAnguish 18 Jul 2007 09:53:06 7,203 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Old Bill wrote:
    Razer Deathadder benchmarks pretty well, in all honestly it's pretty damn comfy too. I'd suggest it

That one gave me shooting pains in my wrists.

seriously guys, how the hell do you put up with those abominations on your desks?

I don't see anything wrong with them? And a mouse is covered by your hand most of the time.
  • Deleted user 19 October 2007 17:00:42
    I've just taken delivery of a splendid new MX518. I'm now left deciding which port is best PS2 or USB?

Normally I always use the PS2 port but was a bit worried that 1800dpi might overwhelm (or not be registered by) the PS2 port.

Anyone?
  • Feanor 19 Oct 2007 17:59:37 14,145 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some people think you get betetr response thru the PS/2 port, so I'd try that first and see how you go.
  • JediMasterMalik 19 Oct 2007 18:03:31 11,820 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've a G5, which is good, loaded it up completely so it's nice and heavy, rarely use the different speeds, but it's responsive and feels good.
  • PinkSpider 19 Oct 2007 18:14:14 3,346 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a Razer Diamondback. Lovely mouse, had it for a couple of years now. Very comfortable and has loads of buttons (I only use 4 though). Also looks very cool in the dark.

Only problem is it doesent always start with the PC (think this is a USB issue though as my old usb modem sometimes did the same).
  • Deleted user 19 October 2007 20:26:07
    tap wrote:
    I've just taken delivery of a splendid new MX518. I'm now left deciding which port is best PS2 or USB?

Normally I always use the PS2 port but was a bit worried that 1800dpi might overwhelm (or not be registered by) the PS2 port.

Anyone?

I went for PS2 in the end and it's working a treat. Just played about an hour of HL2:Ep2 and my fuck, the difference a good mouse makes is shocking.

I bought it on a whim seeing as how my old MS thing was getting a bit knackered. Really glad I did now.

• Deleted user 19 October 2007 21:20:51
    Ive found any of the Razor mice to be excellent.
  • Hunam 19 Oct 2007 21:22:00 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been using a MS optical intelimouse since they came out and i swear by em, i sure do.
  • Feanor 19 Oct 2007 23:06:57 14,145 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm pretty happy with my Logitech G5. It took a bit of faffing around to get FEAR to recognise the thumb button and sideways movement of the scroll wheel, but it was worth it.

I used the thumb button for grenades since I found pressing G to be a pain, while pressing left on the scroll wheel was set to Zoom and pressing right was set to Slow-Mo.
  • AnotherMartin 20 Oct 2007 01:53:25 6,229 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    tap wrote:
    tap wrote:

Anyone?

I went for PS2 in the end and it's working a treat. Just played about an hour of HL2:Ep2 and my fuck, the difference a good mouse makes is shocking.

I bought it on a whim seeing as how my old MS thing was getting a bit knackered. Really glad I did now.

Good mouse, had one myself. But go USB and up the polling rate, 500 should do it.

Do a search for something like 'usb mouse polling rate' as there's various utils out there to check your current polling rate and change it. 1000 is normally the max with USB mice, 250 I think is the default.
  • Dirtbox 20 Oct 2007 04:08:56 77,712 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Triangular from the side or the top?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Dirtbox 20 Oct 2007 04:13:12 77,712 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Erm. Okay that description makes no sense to me, but maybe this?

• Dirtbox 20 Oct 2007 04:14:04 77,712 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Logitech C7.

• Dirtbox 20 Oct 2007 04:17:20 77,712 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh right. It's nowhere near one of the first 3 button mice, the one I linked was.

The first mice ran off the serial port. That one's USB o_O

• Dirtbox 20 Oct 2007 04:23:10 77,712 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ;_;

/wrists

• Deleted user 20 October 2007 16:06:11
    AnotherMartin wrote:
    tap wrote:
    tap wrote:

Anyone?

Good mouse, had one myself. But go USB and up the polling rate, 500 should do it.

Do a search for something like 'usb mouse polling rate' as there's various utils out there to check your current polling rate and change it. 1000 is normally the max with USB mice, 250 I think is the default.

Doesn't using USB eat up clock cycles and lose you some FPS? I'm loathe to use up yet another USB port but I'll have a look around and maybe I could up the polling on the PS2 port?
  • AnotherMartin 20 Oct 2007 16:58:25 6,229 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Technically yes, which is why I sad go for 500 as opposed to 1000, though tbh if your rig is fairly decent it's not going to have a huge impact on overall performance but you will see smoother mouse control. Seems daft to be having a high DPI mouse that is being polled so low.

Besides i think it's less to do with the strain on the CPU and more to do with it using bandwidth on USB, so if you did have a load of high bandwidth devices on the same USB controller you could potentially see issues.

But I still think it's worth a look, if your mouse is currently polling as low as 125 (default for USB i think, and PS2 is 100?) you should definitely see an improvement if you go up to 500. My current mouse actually sets it to 1000 as soon as you install the drivers.

Try mouse rate checker or dx mouse timer dialog, to see what your current rate is.

Like I say search for it, there's plenty of fairly in depth info out there if you need to know more.

Not sure about changing the PS2 polling rate but I guess the theory and potential issues would be the same.
  • azwipe 22 Oct 2007 10:31:02 100 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i used to love my g5, now i'm hoping it will break so i can buy this
  • PinkSpider 19 Oct 2008 17:12:23 3,346 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hello, really dont like the logitech mouses.

My 5 year old razer mouse which I love lots is dying (the left button works 10% of the timeish), any good recommendations. I love the feel of it, the left and right buttons are excellent. Shame I've got one beer on it too many though :/
  • jellyhead 3 Nov 2008 11:59:39 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok, got a new PC and i'm thinking i need to upgrade my old faithful Logitech iFeel mouse from years ago. Y'know the mouse with Rumble.
    So what's good now a days?
    I'd rather something slightly small as i've smallish hands.
    Would prefer wired over wireless as i can't be arsed with batteries.
    Laser optics would be nice.

Something new and lovely and comfy used generally for gaming but not at a pro level :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• jellyhead 3 Nov 2008 12:12:54 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    / makes note
    Cheers, Fluffy.

• jellyhead 3 Nov 2008 12:34:02 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Better than the awesome 3.99 teflon cooking mat i've been using for the last 3 years?
    Better than any pad i've ever used it is, no fibbing.

I'm looking at the Razer Lachesis mouse at the moment, seems tidy but maybe a bit of overkill for me :)

Any good online places or just try the usual dabs, scan, ebuyer, play etc?

• jellyhead 3 Nov 2008 13:15:21 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's the benefit of the Razr exactmat?
    With the mouse, pad and rest on offer they still come to about 70. I can justify it as i'm hoping they'll both last me for years but if a cheaper mat like the AimB mat or similar will do then i might go for that instead.

• jellyhead 3 Nov 2008 13:43:52 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool, thanks for your help.
    I ended up getting a Razer Lachesis ( White phantom ) mouse and mantis pad from ebuyer as they had them both on offer. I was tempted by one of the Rocco Kone mice but decided on a Razer instead as my hands are quite small and some of the comments said the Lachesis was a bit small for them which means better for me. I hope :)

• D4RKSL4Y3R 29 Dec 2008 12:20:41 25 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    logitech g5 or g9. or razer copperhead, death adder or diamondhead. all depends on what games you play and what sorta mouses you find comfetable. personally i like big mouses for fps, so i have a logitech g5. mybe a bit exspensive for some. a good mousemat is normally overlooked as well, id say allmost as important as the mouse its self.
  • jellyhead 29 Dec 2008 12:42:00 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some other tips for new mousers.
    The main thing is to give the new mouse at least a week before deciding if it's for you especially if it's a different shape to your usual one.
    I thought the Lachesis was horrid and that i'd made a mistake but after a week it was fantastic, i need to get a new mouse for work as the old Intellixplorerer 3.0 that i have is like lugging a breezeblock across the desk compared to the Razer which i can move with only my figertips, i barely move my wrist at all.

Don't ramp it up to the max dps and polling rate out of the box either, you need to play with it and find which settings are good for you but i'll sya now that max settings in windows will drive you mental.

Look for a firmware upgrade, many of these fancy mice will have upgradeable firmware, upgrade 'em :)

Get a nice mat that suits your needs and mouse, some mice prefer hard mats and others prefer softer mats, also think of getting one of those wrist supports either built in to the mat or one of the wrist straps you can get. They're my next purchase.

Remember when it comes to the mouse comfort is better than trendy unless you want clawhands! 0_0

lol

• Widge Moderator 17 Feb 2009 14:16:26 13,469 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Some other tips for new mousers.
    The main thing is to give the new mouse at least a week before deciding if it's for you especially if it's a different shape to your usual one.

Hm, I guess I should do this.

I bought a 2nd hand Copperhead and 1) it was a bit scuffed and the rubber sides have discoloured, 2) it looks a bit massive and naff.

Suppose I should get used to the thing first.

Tempted to refund (as discolouration wasn't mentioned) and get an mx518. I reckon the madam would prefer the mx518 too.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Page

of 7 First / Last