Why is there so much negativity surrounding Star Wars Battlefront 2? Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Duffking 13 Nov 2017 19:43:34 14,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not that stuff is locked, it's that it's locked behind a system that is deliberately explotiative and designed to stop you getting what you want to encourage you to spend money.

Rainbow Six is fine, because it doesn't lock it behind RNG bullshit, you buy what you want. And doesn't lock key selling points. Overwatch is mostly fine, because it limits the RNG to non-gameplay-affecting items.

BF2 is not, because it limits actual gameplay affecting stuff to randomness. There is nothing comparable about the R6 model to the BF2 model.

It is literally the model of a free to play game, attached to something with a £50 price tag. It's ridiculous and reeks of seeing what they can get away with.

Edited by Duffking at 19:50:01 13-11-2017
  • mothercruncher 13 Nov 2017 19:52:38 14,109 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Roll up- get some early pride and accomplishment here:

• nickthegun 13 Nov 2017 19:53:12 71,922 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hats off to them, though. Only EA could start off a media campaign with 'we heard you guys. No DLC' and finish it with the most disliked comment in the history of Reddit.
  • TPReview 13 Nov 2017 20:07:28 1,209 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It pisses me off because it means next DICE game we're going to get DLC packs again and they'll be like, hey no more loot boxes, but now you have to split up based on who's prepared to pay for maps!
  • JamboWayOh 13 Nov 2017 20:12:22 3,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TPReview wrote:
    It pisses me off because it means next DICE game we're going to get DLC packs again and they'll be like, hey no more loot boxes, but now you have to split up based on who's prepared to pay for maps!
    It's almost as if they had no choice but to implement pay to win lootboxes, poor guys. Tell me how Overwatch does it again?

Edited by JamboWayOh at 20:14:22 13-11-2017
  • Duffking 13 Nov 2017 20:21:51 14,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TPReview or you know they could just not lock gameplay items behind bullshit and just put cool cosmetic stuff in?

Or, use the rainbow six model you suggested?
  • TPReview 13 Nov 2017 20:22:22 1,209 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not saying getting skills in the lootboxes is the best situation, I'd prefer it was just cosmetic, and I prefer Overwatch's model, I just think it's a massive step up from what we had in the last game and the anger about it is ridiculous.
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2017 20:27:24 71,922 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    At least with DLC you can actually play the core game properly and not have to buy the add-on maps blind.

'Bespin again? *Trash*'
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Nov 2017 20:35:10 30,731 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be honest, the moment they start adding Pimp Your Pink Stormtrooper items to the loot boxes is the moment I check out.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Nov 2017 20:35:37 30,731 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That shit ain't Star Wars, brah.
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2017 20:35:48 71,922 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You don't get to have an opinion, you enabler
  • JYM60 13 Nov 2017 21:03:34 17,486 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TPReview wrote:
    Yup, like Ubisoft did for Rainbow Six, I'm hoping it will be the new model. I mean the first expansion we're getting on December 13th is already pretty generous with a new Galactic Assault map, new Starfighter map, two new characters, a new ship and new story content. I'm expecting 2-3 more packs of a similar size (or maybe one of the packs will have more maps for the smaller modes since this one doesn't seem to have any.
    So delaying releasing maps which could be in the full  game on release for a few weeks is something to be excited about now?
  • JYM60 13 Nov 2017 21:06:50 17,486 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Next battlefield could go either way. Won't be surprised if its pay for classes and guns and stuff. While we enjoy 1 new map a year.
  • Syrette 13 Nov 2017 21:08:48 49,248 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's out then because it's The Last Jedi content.
  • stephen1877 13 Nov 2017 21:56:15 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bombonera wrote:
    Why is Battlefront 2 (and EA in particular) being singled out for criticism when several other recent releases have had loot boxes?
    Because it's a shit game made by cunts and played by fucking idiots.
  • TPReview 13 Nov 2017 21:56:39 1,209 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yup and I'm sure with nearly all games they have maps ready by launch that they hold off, it keeps the game fresh for longer and will be fun to have alongside Last Jedi coming out. They've said there's still going to be expansion packs and they're going to be free, I'm not sure why that's controversial. Do people really like that model of season passes splitting the multiplayer community? I understand the annoyance at skills being locked behind loot crates, but I completely don't understand the anger at having unlockable characters (when you already get a bunch at launch) that you don't need to pay money for. Some meaningful progression isn't a bad thing.

It is funny though how on Reddit you have one crowd saying EA are the worst for having meaningful stat changes in lootboxes, then another crowd saying Activision are the worst for having purely cosmetic useless things in Call of Duty, then you have Titanfall 2 that seemed to get everything right, then sold terribly.
  • JYM60 13 Nov 2017 22:46:21 17,486 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What other recent games have offered much 'free' dlc (maps/etc) I can think of OW, and to a lesser degree Rocket League. I honestly cannot see EA giving much away without paying. How much dlc is there for Battlefront and Battlefield? Like between 15-20 maps? You think there'll even be a fraction of that many?
  • Technoishmatt 13 Nov 2017 23:04:50 2,081 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just remembered that in Rainbow Six Siege - the generally acclaimed and successful MP FPS - you had to grind credits to unlock player classes. Or you could use real money to buy them or you got them included with the season pass.

Is pretty much the same thing as Battlefront 2, right? Except worse, as you can play the game without the the heros, but you cant properly play Siege without player classes.
  • SiroccoJetProp 13 Nov 2017 23:16:33 107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    stephen1877 wrote:
    Bombonera wrote:
    Why is Battlefront 2 (and EA in particular) being singled out for criticism when several other recent releases have had loot boxes?
    Because it's a shit game made by cunts and played by fucking idiots.
    Nope.
  • bighairybear65 14 Nov 2017 10:48:45 198 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So what is s the difference between the COD loot boxes, Battlefield loot boxes, Fifa ultimate team etc and this game?
    Honest question everyone on this site, from the looks of it is supposedly boycotting this game but (I assume) still buying Fifa, Cod etc?
    I don't buy loot boxes so I dont really have that much knowledge on them but I know all these games have payable shortcuts but no seems particularly bothered about them but this game has really kicked up a shitstorm..
    How come? 🤔

Edited by bighairybear65 at 10:49:26 14-11-2017
  • bighairybear65 14 Nov 2017 10:53:23 198 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just a quick note, I have no time for any loot box stuff and never have as I mentioned elsewhere a while ago, my son got stung by Fifa Ultimate team so am quite against all of it, I'm just curious as to why we all carry on with these games but circle only one of them as a bad one...
  • the_milkybar_kid 14 Nov 2017 10:54:14 6,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is this the most misinformed OP of all time?
  • Duffking 14 Nov 2017 10:54:28 14,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @bighairybear65 COD only has cosmetic items in its loot boxes.
  • pacrifice 14 Nov 2017 10:56:22 4,185 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Like call of duty, pretty, multiplayer, but boring. Same as last time but new skin or other skin.
  • Rivuzu 14 Nov 2017 11:01:32 16,620 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @bighairybear65 People on the forums are mostly not buying those games, but that's more to do with us being barnacle ridden, crotechty old shitposters who have nothing better to do than to call randoms cunts for hours a day.

There is a difference in the systems you've referenced there though. FUT is an exploitive system which creates a massively unbalanced online experience in the Ultimate Team mode. COD loot boxes are for the most part cosmetics, but Activision have recently filed a patent to target their matchmaking system to make the idea of buying loot boxes more attractive to lower skill players, tying skill with how bling you look.

Battlefront is a game built entirely around relying on loot boxes in order to progress your class. No longer can you pick and choose your upgrades or focus on a particular class to suit your playstyle. You're given random fucking tokens, and have to either use these or recycle them for a pittance in currency in order to unlock content that should be made freely available when you initially purchase the fucking game.

Edited by Rivuzu at 11:02:06 14-11-2017
  • y2rich 14 Nov 2017 11:10:06 3,125 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Loot box/micro transaction breakdown for me
    Fifa: buy chances at better players etc but if you’re half intelligent and have a slight bit of patience there’s really no need to spend any actual money
    CoD: all costmetic stuff
    R6 Siege: characters locked behind progress or can be bought. Takes very little effort to unlock the majority of characters and if you’ve enjoyed it enough by that point unlocking the rest won’t take long.
    Battlefront 2: powerful skill cards etc locked behind loot crates and hero’s also purchased with the same currency. If you’re saving for a hero, you’re not buying loot crates which means you’re falling behind other players in Power game to game. If you’re buying the loot crates in game then you’re not saving up for the hero characters. To do both you have to spend money.

Fairly dumb breakdown but why BF2 is getting more vitriol than the others for me
  • Derblington 14 Nov 2017 11:17:01 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    So delaying releasing maps which could be in the full  game on release for a few weeks is something to be excited about now?
    Is that what they've done? You know for a fact the maps are ready and aren't actually being worked on currently?
  • JYM60 14 Nov 2017 12:43:56 17,486 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't know obviously, but its been done with every recent battlefield game iirc, so I'd not be surprised.

And it's weird that it is done (is it) 3 weeks after the game releases? Is that how it longs it takes to make maps? 3 weeks? The game couldn't have been released when the maps were ready?

At the end of it, it's to make it look like you're getting free shit, but really you're just getting less on day 1.

You'll say 'yadda yadda yadda, you know nothing' as if EA would never do anything like that
  • Derblington 14 Nov 2017 13:25:08 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No, they take longer than 3 weeks. But you don't just hit a set day when the game is done and the team moves on.

As areas are finalised people will move over weeks before the game releases. There's then crossover of the level teams starting up the DLC content while the remaining team finish off the title. More people then move over to the DLC team while a smaller remainer stay and work on day 1 patches, etc, while the game is in submission/production for the discs.
  • Carlo 14 Nov 2017 13:43:11 19,866 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    What other recent games have offered much 'free' dlc (maps/etc) I can think of OW, and to a lesser degree Rocket League. I honestly cannot see EA giving much away without paying. How much dlc is there for Battlefront and Battlefield? Like between 15-20 maps? You think there'll even be a fraction of that many?
    Oh my fucking God how many times? It should just be the fucking game! It's already made, and held back. If they think the complete game is 'worth' £100+ try and charge us for it.

We'll soon steer them towards the idea that it's not worth putting that all into it
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.