Does playing video games affect symptoms of anxiety and/or depression?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Bawdier 10 Nov 2017 21:34:05 2 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Hello, fellow gamers!

I am currently conducting a research study for my Master’s Thesis and I could use your help. I am researching the effects of video game play on the symptoms of anxiety and depression.

To participate in this study and help further research on video games, you will complete brief depression and anxiety inventories and a survey.

By participating in the survey, you will also be entered into a random drawing to win one of three $25 gift cards to GameStop.

In order to participate in this research study, you must be a video game player between the ages 18-35 and demonstrate some symptoms of anxiety and/or depression. You will not be receiving a clinical diagnosis of a mental health disorder by participating in this study. Symptoms include stress, worry, irritability, restlessness, overwhelming fear, sadness, hopelessness, low self-esteem, fatigue, insomnia, or difficulty concentrating.

If you would like to participate, please complete the linked survey and send an email to the researcher’s email address found at the beginning survey to take the two brief but required anxiety and depression inventories. You will then receive the individualized links to the depression and anxiety inventories. These are confidential and personalized emails that will be sent from Pearson Clinical. Each of these inventories should take approximately 5 minutes. It should take approximately 10-20 minutes in total to complete the inventories and survey.

LINK:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VideoGamesAnxietyDepression

Confidentiality and Anonymity:
    All identifying information obtained by participating in this research study will be kept strictly confidential unless State or Federal law mandates disclosure. The results of this study may be used in reports, papers, presentations, and publications; however, any identifying information will be omitted or disguised to ensure confidentiality and anonymity.
  • spamdangled 10 Nov 2017 21:37:00 31,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You realise this is a European site, right? Those vouchers would be pretty useless. We don't even have Gamestop over here (except for some bits of Ireland).

Edited by spamdangled at 21:37:48 10-11-2017
  • mal 10 Nov 2017 23:02:28 28,653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anything from watching bloody kitten videos to proper full-grown strategy gaming can be used to distract people from themselves and their problems, yes.

Edit: And I've done my survey for the month. I'm not doing yours as well.

Edited by mal at 23:03:15 10-11-2017
  • KD 11 Nov 2017 07:45:16 1,811 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not doing the survey but no they dont in my case, if I'm anxious or in a depressive state I cant even comrehend playing a video game or watching a film. Not being able to follow or concentrate on it for more than 5 seconds means I miss out on anything it can offer.

Edited by KD at 07:45:31 11-11-2017
  • b0rk 11 Nov 2017 08:09:15 7,454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "you will complete brief depression and anxiety inventories and a survey"

fuckin wont you aint the boss of me m80
  • Trowel 11 Nov 2017 08:12:57 21,707 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Going by this forum, I'd say video games certainly effect symptoms of anxiety and/or depression.

(there's your Saturday grammar joke sorted)
  • GuybrushThreepwood 11 Nov 2017 08:17:08 1,379 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Here you go mate, save you the job :

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20120110/Anxiety-and-depression-linked-to-computer-games.aspx
  • ChocNut 11 Nov 2017 08:19:07 2,340 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Games give me a reason to live. Watch a FFVII remake reaction if you need proof that games inspire hope.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.