Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 11

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• Phattso 2 Jan 2018 12:14:57 22,280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm not questioning your taste in games (it is unquestionably awful ;-)) only that perhaps if you bought them over a longer period of time you'd give each the attention it deserves. They're all HUGE games with the exception of SotC, so should last a while.

It's sort of the purpose of the thread. :) . But if you're happy that you already extract maximum (or at least sufficient) enjoyment from your games then this was never the thread for you anyways!
  • GuybrushThreepwood 2 Jan 2018 12:16:03 1,562 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @the_dudefather Looking at the "50 games to look forward to" list and "just" having a Switch, I can't see any I'm desperate to buy in the coming year.

Mind you, they missed a fair few Switch exclusives in the main list.
  • Cappy 2 Jan 2018 12:18:00 13,677 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One day in, I'm still on course, I cut back on purchases massively over December. Over Christmas I finally finished Okami after all these years.
  • LittleSparra 2 Jan 2018 12:21:17 7,369 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It is only a list. Only ever a suggestion.
  • THFourteen 2 Jan 2018 12:23:30 46,889 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quick update to my list.

Definitely
    Mechwarrior 5 (PC)
    Fire Emblem (Switch)
    Walking Dead Final Season (Switch?)
    BattleTech (PC)

Probably
    Mass Effect Andromeda (PC)
    Wargroove (Switch)
    Titan Quest (Switch)

Possibly
    Mario Tennis Aces (Switch)
    Tennis World Tour (Switch? or PC) (Don't need two tennis games)
    Underworld Ascendant (PC)
    Lost Sphear (Switch)
    Secrets of Mana (Switch)
    Superhot: Mind Control Delete (PC)
    Unavowed (PC)
    Warhammer 40,000: Gladius—Relics of War (PC)
    Star Citizen (PC)
    Project Hospital (PC)

Needs More Research
    Dragon Quest Builders (Switch)

Excluded from the count as always get bought
    FIFA 19
    PES 19

Edited by THFourteen at 21:29:06 12-01-2018
  • superbob85 2 Jan 2018 12:26:57 8,357 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have 3 certain then wolf among us 2, walking dead final season possibly PES 19.

Edited by superbob85 at 12:33:36 02-01-2018
  • monkman76 2 Jan 2018 12:32:44 12,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    OK so as far as i'm aware, the below are piquing my interest... however that's even before the Nintendo Direct next week. This may be harder than i thought, if not impossible.

Definitely
    Mechwarrior 5 (PC)
    Fire Emblem (Switch)
    Walking Dead Final Season (Switch?)
    BattleTech (PC)

Probably
    Mass Effect Andromeda (PC)
    Wargroove (Switch)
    Titan Quest (Switch)

Possibly
    Underworld Ascendant (PC)
    Lost Sphear (Switch)
    Secrets of Mana (Switch)
    Superhot: Mind Control Delete (PC)
    Unavowed (PC)
    Warhammer 40,000: Gladius—Relics of War (PC)
    Star Citizen (PC)
    Project Hospital (PC)
    Tennis World Tour (Switch? or PC)

Excluded from the count as always get bought
    FIFA 19
    PES 19
    Heh. Literally none of these interest me (unless the Superhot thing comes to PSVR). I'm sorted.
  • OnlyJoeKing 2 Jan 2018 12:35:46 353 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For me the must buys so far look like this:

God of War
    Metro: Exodus
    RDR2 (if it arrives this year)
    TLOU2 (if this year)
    Pro Evo (if it comes to the Switch)

So, not too much, and a fair bit of uncertainty. I'd buy a new Souls game without question too, and still need to pick up Nier, Dungeons 3 and Hellblade, but otherwise feeling pretty confident!

It's the indie / smaller games I feel most conflicted about, will be much less able to take a punt on something that looks fun. But oh well, it's for the cause.

Stay strong, brothers.
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Jan 2018 12:37:53 3,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have...

Runner 3 (Switch)
    Yoshi (Switch)
    Wargroove (Switch)
    Mario & Rabbids (Switch)
    Fire Emblem (Switch)

and then Doom (Switch) if it's a quiet year. :D
  • Phattso 2 Jan 2018 12:38:07 22,280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen's list is actually quite enlightening, and I'm sure a lot of us are also guilty of double-dipping on games. But really: Titan Quest? It's awesome, but surely SURELY you've rinsed that enough? I also was tempted... but I have hundreds of hours in there already. No need to go again. Mass Effect Andromeda? There's so little quality out there that an also-ran B-team outing is almost a must have? I don't think so.

Definitely looking forward to being more discerning in 2018.
  • THFourteen 2 Jan 2018 13:03:54 46,889 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @monkman76

I have literally DREAMED of sitting in front of an ultrawide monitor with a HOTAS playing Mechwarrior since I was a little boy. I mean I didn’t even know what an ultrawide was in those days but still.
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Jan 2018 13:05:23 3,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oops. I just realised I forgot about Dragon Quest 11 and Dragon Quest Builders 2.On top of the fact I'm currently playing through 9 and have both 7 and 8 on the backlog. Might be overkill, here.

Hmm...
  • THFourteen 2 Jan 2018 13:05:40 46,889 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Phattso

Mass Effect (original trilogy) ranks very near the top if not the top of my all time favourite games. It’s actually me showing great restraint having not already bought it on release day! I know it’s average but I also know I’ll complete it and love it.

Titan Quest is more of a lack of available games in that genre on the Switch. Rinsed it sure, but loot collecting on the train? Gimme.
  • Dgzter 2 Jan 2018 13:07:08 1,594 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll never be able to stick to this, but will certainly be showing a bit more restraint this year. To help facilitate this, my main goal is to focus on gutting my backlog and working on some older franchises I never got around to.

Ironically, I started the year with purchasing three older games in the Steam Sale: STALKER: Clear Sky, METRO: Last Light and Planescape Torment: EE. The latter will be a new play-through, since it's been about ten years since my last, but I'm aiming to rinse the Stalker and Metro franchises now that I have the lot.

I'm also fairly confident that the majority of my purchases this year will not necessarily be for games released this year; I've not really got much I'm looking forward, if I'm honest, so really no excuse not to focus on backlog refinement :)
  • the_dudefather 2 Jan 2018 13:11:53 10,569 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, one of my 10 slots could very easily be taken up by something I missed last year, like Prey or Nioh, both of which will probably be dirt cheap by the time I get around to picking them up
  • JoelStinty 2 Jan 2018 13:16:29 6,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nothing really screams out at me to be honest, but i think thats because i'm becoming such a tight arse with money rather than a lack of enthusiasm for games.

TLOU and Red dead are probably the likelyist candidates for day one purchase. The former i can't forsee being out till next year anyway. Shadow of the colossus too.

GOW, Spiderman, Ni no Kuni 2, Monster Hunter world, Far Cry, could well be games that i get sucked into the hype and be sudden day one purchases.

If Luigi Mansion 3 or Pikmin 4 get announced they'd probably be my day one games this year. And Bayonetta 3 too if it is released.

Edit: Which is 11 Games haha. So anyone of those can be delayed if they want.

Edited by JoelStinty at 13:19:18 02-01-2018
  • GuybrushThreepwood 2 Jan 2018 13:17:11 1,562 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Yoshi, kirby and metroid are about the only ones I'm thinking of at the moment and maybe not the last two. Doubtless loads will then up to tempt me though!
  • Phattso 2 Jan 2018 13:24:12 22,280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Mass Effect (original trilogy) ranks very near the top if not the top of my all time favourite games. It’s actually me showing great restraint having not already bought it on release day! I know it’s average but I also know I’ll complete it and love it.
    They're my favourites too, but I decided I wouldn't just be a brand-sheep and get it despite all the reservations expressed in the press. This was almost a year ago now, so I guess I was attempting to be more discerning even then.

Despite just harping on about you having Titan Quest on your list, if they released the ME Trilogy on Switch I'd have a very hard choice to make. :)
  • Humperfunk 2 Jan 2018 13:24:40 7,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really want to focus on my backlog this year whilst only getting the ones I just won't be able to resist. Think I'll end up getting:

Ni No Kuni 2
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Shadow of the Colossus
    God of War
    Spiderman
    The Last of Us 2 (if this year)
    Bayonetta 3 (if this year)

Maybe Detroit, depending on how that turns out. Reckon I'll try and hold out to Christmas for Far Cry 5 but if that's a gift then that doesn't count right?

So actually....that's less than 10! I can do this...

/fails before end of Jan
  • Dirt3 2 Jan 2018 13:30:58 300 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My resolve is weakening already. Seen Dark Souls 3 for 12 quid.

Shouldn't put too much of a dent in the Ł450 budget though.
  • Vortex808 2 Jan 2018 13:34:01 11,857 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have already got (& not started) the small pile of shame:

Life is strange prequel
    Doom 2016
    And the telltale back to the furure gwg effort.

This year i will probably buy:

Metro whatever its called (exodus?)
    CoD ww2
    New halo?
    Wolf among us2?
    Crackdown 3

I will continue playing wolfenstein 2, gears 4 and pubg all guiltfree (last year games).
  • crashVoodoo 2 Jan 2018 13:36:29 5,614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    2 days into the new year and i haven't bought anything ... its going good.

i defo want RDR2 and Dad of War later this year so i might actually make it.
    Its been humbles/fanatical bundles that have done me this year. Picking up 6-10 games for peanuts is so tempting
  • Addy_B 2 Jan 2018 13:53:54 2,478 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Yeah it's indie games that have been my downfall. Actually looking at big AAA games last year I only bought 12. I just happened to buy around 500 indie games as well though.
  • JoelStinty 2 Jan 2018 13:55:58 6,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah i just seen a whats out soon video and owl boy was on there /o\
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Jan 2018 13:56:54 3,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Indie games tend to be much smaller (in most cases) and cheaper, so you could potentially bend the rules with those games and count 2 as a single purchase. It depends on what you're trying to achieve with the challenge, I suppose.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Jan 2018 13:57:54 39,000 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    and I'm sure a lot of us are also guilty of double-dipping on games
    Damn, yes. I have Steamworld: Heist on the 3DS, I got the PC version in a Humble Bunlde or so, and I was seriously tempted to buy it yet *again* for the Switch.

Honestly, what mostly kept me from doing it is that the iOS version costs less than a third. Not that I bought that one, mind, and I know the price structure is different on phones, but it did annoy me sufficiently to keep me from buying it a third time. :)
  • JoelStinty 2 Jan 2018 13:59:57 6,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Indie games tend to be much smaller (in most cases) and cheaper, so you could potentially bend the rules with those games and count 2 as a single purchase. It depends on what you're trying to achieve with the challenge, I suppose.
    :-)
  • Page

of 30 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.