Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Page 29

• Page

of 31 First / Last

• Duffking 12 Jan 2018 12:04:33 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @THFourteen hah. Remember that you need to use that element and also at the level of the branch in order for it to work. Using a level 1 fire special for the second branch won't move you along, you'll need to use a level 2 one.

That's why you'll often see the icons for your team mates pop in at the sides but not a ZR/ZL prompt, they've got the right element but their special hasn't hit the right level yet.
  • Duffking 12 Jan 2018 12:07:44 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood the easiest way to get combos done early on while you're learning the ropes is to get all 3 characters to special level 3 first rather than triggering a special as soon as someone has one ready.

So when your team mates portraits pop in with the ZL/ZR prompt, don't hit it and instead wait until both portraits have 3 little orbs circling around them, and you have 3 or 4 on yours too.

Then start the combo with a special and as long as one of your teammates has the right element you'll be able to immediately continue the combo.

Eventually that'll click and you'll be comboing all over the place without even bothering to charge up specials in advance.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jan 2018 12:36:26 7,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Now you see, that last post is more information than the whole game gives you, was it really that hard for them to explain it effectively.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Jan 2018 13:04:55 1,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    my way of getting through is fire, fire, fire/light. IF you start with Pyra use her lvl 1, move to second blade rinse their attacks and then when Pyra is available switch back. All her attacks are available so you can use them all to get to special 2 and then use that. Repeat using the third blade in the rotation this time and you can do the combo on your own
  • ecu 12 Jan 2018 13:56:05 80,242 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    The one that’s flashing is your current position, you need to select one of the two branches to the right.
    It took me about 40 hours to figure out. I thought the combo chain was going down the list in the top right.
  • Gaol 12 Jan 2018 14:22:59 3,275 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    my way of getting through is fire, fire, fire/light. IF you start with Pyra use her lvl 1, move to second blade rinse their attacks and then when Pyra is available switch back. All her attacks are available so you can use them all to get to special 2 and then use that. Repeat using the third blade in the rotation this time and you can do the combo on your own
    You don’t want to do the same combination every time. They seal enemy abilities and stack elemental orbs for party chains. If you keep using the same element it will reduce the damage. You should have your party members contributing - give them sweets and musical instruments so they gain special levels quicker. Have blades equipped to give you options. Do driver combos in the middle of blade combos for big damage.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 12 Jan 2018 14:29:28 1,561 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Gaol Are you Obi Wan Kenobi or something? How do you know all this? Thanks though, it's really helpful :)

/ may have just watched The Last Jedi
  • timur 12 Jan 2018 14:31:16 26 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there a useful guide to this somewhere? The game is awful at explaining any of its systems. Even basic stuff like traversal of the first plain after you get Pyra - I get swooped on by some eagles who kill me and the best I can do is avoid them. If I get killed I just respawn and the clock moves on. Is that it? Are there any other penalties to dying? Do I keep XP?

Half the time when the game tells me something increases a particular stat, I can't even find said stat anywhere or find out how it affects anything. Do I just focus on equipment? Do I need to grind? What should I spend my XP on?

Maybe next time they could spend a bit more effort explaining their systems and a bit less time shoehorning improbable mammaries onto every female character. Still, at least that inquisitor woman dresses like a semi-normal person.
  • Zero_g 12 Jan 2018 15:13:52 173 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @timur
    The systems will become apparent over time. Until you have three people in your party combat is fairly limited.
    Even then without a selection of blades representing different elements it can be complicated to set up blade combos.

The experience comes in a few flavours:
    Weapon experience - spend it as its earned, there are no benefits to hoarding it.
    Driver affinity grids - spend the exp when you earn it.
    Blade affinity grids - should be populated through normal play MAKE SURE TO ViEW THE BLADE AFFINITY GRIDS REGULARLY - sometime blade enhancements will ‘pop’ on exiting a battle / completing a mission but they aren’t applied until you view their affinity grids.

Apply chips to blades and choose appropriate aux cores for your blades, eg block heavy chips and aggro increasing aux cores for tanks and high strength crit chips and aggro reducing cores for Rex.

There are always high level mobs that will one hit your party; try to avoid them.
    Death only seems to reduce party affinity in battle.

Edited by Zero_g at 15:14:22 12-01-2018
  • Zero_g 12 Jan 2018 15:20:51 173 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @timur
    If it makes you feel any better I had been playing for in excess of 60 hours before I realised that interrupts on different driver arts (e.g. using a filled driver art when the auto-attack lands; if performed successfully this will generate a white blue ring on screen) can be chained together with each other and blade arts!
    Try to hold off on using anchor shot immediately unless you need a health boost; anchor shot becomes much more useful in the third region you enter and being in the habit of saving it will help you.
  • Zero_g 12 Jan 2018 15:22:08 173 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @timur
    There are multiple videos on YouTube that explain the combat systems but these maybe a little complicated and not relevant in the first ten hours or so.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Jan 2018 15:42:46 20,798 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm still very early on, on Chapter 2 and just beat Brighid and Captain Padhrig and did the first cooking thing.
    Are there any good moron friendly Combat videos?
  • ghearoid 12 Jan 2018 15:44:17 2,783 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just kept playing and eventually my brain engaged with the combat. Now I can look at the screen and know exactly what I'm doing, what's going to happen next and even what's going to happen after that. Kinda like chess.

I say tough it out. You'll be bursting elemental orbs in no time.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jan 2018 17:40:24 7,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Worth bearing in mind that you can't actually trigger special combos until a certain part of the story when it's introduced to you afaik (I believe I'm close to this part) someone here will be able to clarify this. I like to think it will be made clearer at that point but going on my experience so far I'm probably kidding myself.
  • ghearoid 12 Jan 2018 17:43:36 2,783 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    From memory, the combat systems are mostly unlocked by the end of chapter three. There are a few more things that you get told about in later chapters. I seem to remember even having a brief tutorial in chapter ten.
  • Duffking 12 Jan 2018 17:47:40 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tbh, I recommend just reading this

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xenoblade-2-blade-chain-driver-combo-advanced-battle-guide.9206/
  • ChiefGB 12 Jan 2018 18:54:07 7,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok so it's starting to click purely from the point of view of knowing that the number of orbs spinning around the characters special indicator on screen indicates the level of special they are at.
    Now when used in conjunction with the right side element options on screen dictating who should go next and knowing each trigger needs to be a level 2 and finally level 3 special of the relevant element to keep the combo, it's easy.

Hope this makes sense lol, but straight after coming on this evening I pulled a level 3 combo off.
  • Duffking 12 Jan 2018 19:05:46 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frankly, I think knowing how the little orbs work and the fact that it's a tree with branches is all you need for it to click.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jan 2018 19:08:34 7,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Exactly, I carried it forward a bit but that was my point, the spinning orbs was the missing key.
  • timur 12 Jan 2018 19:36:29 26 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Zero_g thanks for the advice - sounds like I'm best off just ploughing on for a little while and seeing how it goes.

That resetera post looks helpful too - thanks everyone!
  • THFourteen 12 Jan 2018 20:03:26 46,874 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Awesome tips and link especially duff!

One more question when the opponent has an orb on it and thus “immunity” to that element, does that mean my normal auto attacks and driver arts and special won’t work if it’s that element? I need to switch blades or chain attack?

Not sure I quite understand the cancel mechanics - I get how to activate it on an individual art but not really how to chain arts together using it.
  • Gaol 12 Jan 2018 20:23:41 3,275 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chaining arts together is an unlock on the character skill page I believe.

My experience is you can repeat elements but they do reduced damage. Also, the orbs seal abilities, eg. a dark orb will seal an enemies ability to call reinforcements if it has one.

While the tutorial isn't great in this game, part of me is glad there is no Prima guide that explains everything - it has been fun watching the online community uncover stuff.
  • Duffking 12 Jan 2018 20:34:57 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The idea with the orbs generally is to get as many as you can of different types on an enemy then once you've unlocked chains, smash the orbs for huge damage.
  • THFourteen 12 Jan 2018 21:24:57 46,874 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck me the game just became a hell of a lot easier. My last chain attack was 130k vs the previous high which was 25k and barely worth going to the trouble of doing :-(
  • Duffking 12 Jan 2018 22:00:37 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    By the end of the game you can hit over 5 million on a chain attack ;)
  • DakeyrasUK 12 Jan 2018 22:37:21 1,311 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    5 million.... wowsers!

I just came here to say I just completed chapter 4. Failed the end boss battle 4 times before managing 2 get 2 blade combos complete and the party guage full (my characters kept needing to be revived in previous attempts) so i unleased a chain combo and hit the target for 215,000 with 2 elemental bursts!

Very satisfying to see the health bar drop from 50% to 0%!

This game is great, not been this into the story of a jrpg for many years now. Will put this game above bravely default now.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 12 Jan 2018 23:20:14 1,561 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Spent a couple of hours in the Gomotti plains and then in the town. No real plan, just bimbling about and relaxing. Got one shotted a few times, but otherwise held my own (or ran off). I'm hoping to get over powered for the bosses so I don't have to worry too much about getting the right combos etc.

Is making more sense now due to the above info and I've spent all my wp and sp just as I excited the game, so hopefully it will be easier next time.
  • THFourteen 13 Jan 2018 15:01:21 46,874 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK

Just finished chapter 4 this morning - what level were you? I died once after swapping in Morag for Tora, but then the second time round I spent a while spending her SP points and kitting her out properly and that seemed to help, was easy after that. Oh and also mythra was useless I had to use Kora instead.

Glad to be rid of Tora finally, was getting sick of Poppi and not having any upgrades for her because I can’t be bothered with tiger tiger.

Think I was level 37 and Morag was 39?

What I did struggle with was the fight without a tank with a security tirkin(?) and two adds? Died about ten times on that before putting a random tank blade on Rex

Totally addicted to this game now. Have played 62 hours in 3 weeks which is madness. Literally picking it up every time I have five minutes. There is SO much to do!

Edited by THFourteen at 15:05:34 13-01-2018

Edited by THFourteen at 15:14:54 13-01-2018
  • Gaol 13 Jan 2018 15:11:30 3,275 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your at a stage now THFourteen where it's worth kitting your new tank out in pentagon chips on some tank blades and agility accessories. Worth a quick google if you haven't already. They will be able to tank without being hit much. :)
  • jack5255 13 Jan 2018 17:22:27 709 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    Your at a stage now THFourteen where it's worth kitting your new tank out in pentagon chips on some tank blades and agility accessories. Worth a quick google if you haven't already. They will be able to tank without being hit much. :)
    This. When that agility score goes up it’s mad how much they can dodge attacks. More than makes up for the HP difference you’ll likely see between them and tora and i personally wanted to avoid tiger tiger and stick to ‘regular’ blades
  • Page

of 31 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.