of 7 First / Last

• challenge_hanukkah 12 Oct 2017 12:15:35 5,055 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And by friends he means victims.
  • Addy_B 12 Oct 2017 12:16:30 1,135 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Shock horror but for the first time ever my simply games order hasn't turned up a day early Bah, I was planning on playing it tonight as well.
  • sport 12 Oct 2017 12:17:54 13,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    @Cadence

Apparently a spinoff of id tech 5. A bit like what Arkane did with their engine for Dishonoured 2.
    I watched a stream of it yesterday. Not sure if the streamer was playing an early beta version or something, but for a AAA game, I couldn't believe the bug riddled mess on display. Clipping through objects, teleporting to areas of the map not suppose to be accessible etc.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Oct 2017 12:20:00 2,529 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well that's not good. I still laugh at the original game having black borders because of shitty optimisation.
  • SteveHolt 12 Oct 2017 13:30:55 445 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Well that's not good. I still laugh at the original game having black borders because of shitty optimisation.
    Still laughing, really? It's a great game, it had back borders,but a title update blah blah blah, who gives a fuck.
  • Addy_B 12 Oct 2017 14:16:13 1,135 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Getting good reviews so far :)
  • JamboWayOh 12 Oct 2017 14:25:50 2,529 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SteveHolt wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Still laughing, really? It's a great game, it had back borders,but a title update blah blah blah, who gives a fuck.
    Great. I thought it was shit. What now?
  • JamboWayOh 12 Oct 2017 14:32:23 2,529 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Addy_B

Let us know what you think when you hopefully get it tomorrow.
  • ubergine 12 Oct 2017 14:41:55 7,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Positive comments here:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-evil-within-2-review

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/12/16461738/the-evil-within-2-review

Edited by ubergine at 14:49:32 12-10-2017
  • JamboWayOh 12 Oct 2017 14:55:52 2,529 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I must say it's interesting to see the difference between USG and EG reviews. That review actually got to the point pretty quickly as opposed to half a page of existential bollocks that would usually make up an EG review.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 12 Oct 2017 15:06:48 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wait for a sale...

• Cappy 12 Oct 2017 18:32:10 13,595 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not going to pretend I'd turn up my nose at this. When it comes to third person survival horror games I'll take anything I can get.

id Tech 5 though, avoiding bruising Carmack's ego has had a high cost. There's no point reinventing the wheel and making a worse version of the wheel at that. Putting aside technical comparisons there's more support and experience behind more prevalent middleware, even the much maligned Unreal Engine 3 would have been preferable due to how many people there are out there who know how to work with it. Things like weird looking animation and clipping issues would have been easier to deal with.
  • Dgzter 12 Oct 2017 19:28:35 1,493 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Furtive_Pygmy

To be honest I found his full review quite positive. As someone who really loved the first one, despite acknowledging its many (many!) faults, I'm quietly confident I'll enjoy this :)

PC version is 25 quid on CDkeys btw
  • Furtive_Pygmy 13 Oct 2017 08:34:49 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, the general opinion is that it's considerably better than the first game, and has a huge positive majority opinion on Steam. Hmm.
  • grassyknoll 13 Oct 2017 08:42:26 619 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-evil-within-2

Good reviews as well, about as good as a game line this can get.
  • Cappy 13 Oct 2017 09:46:06 13,595 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When it comes to higher profile titles the most positive reviews and user feedback always comes up front around initial release.

It will take some time before we know how people end up feeling about The Evil Within 2, especially when a lot of them can't even have completed the game yet are still rating it.

It's the Phantom Menace effect (and now Force Awakens), sometimes it takes a while for reality to sink in especially when people invest in a franchise, the sort of people who pay their own money to see a film or buy a game on the day of release generally have some level of investment.
  • grassyknoll 13 Oct 2017 10:01:54 619 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or people could really like it. Spoke to someone who's nearly finished it and they said it's far more narratively consistent, keeps the tension and has improved level design (and the first is fantastic).
  • quadfather 13 Oct 2017 10:05:28 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Review's up

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-12-evil-within-2-review

Reads harsh imo
  • Addy_B 13 Oct 2017 10:19:26 1,135 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    My simply games order appears to have gone AWOL so picked it up from Sainsbury's before. Looking forward to giving it a whirl tonight.
  • Cappy 13 Oct 2017 10:49:14 13,595 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    grassyknoll wrote:
    Or people could really like it. Spoke to someone who's nearly finished it and they said it's far more narratively consistent, keeps the tension and has improved level design (and the first is fantastic).
    So, they're probably invested to start with and haven't taken much time to think about things.

This game will sell to fans of the genre irrespective of quality since it has a whole sector of the market to itself, there are no other options for people who want a traditional Resident Evil/Silent Hill kind of game, once they start buying after a price drop or two we'll see some proper scrutiny.
  • Addy_B 13 Oct 2017 10:57:52 1,135 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Or people could really like it.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Oct 2017 11:06:03 2,529 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Madness!
  • Dgzter 13 Oct 2017 11:17:15 1,493 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Review's up

Reads harsh imo
    Yeah, but its not putting me off in the slightest to be honest :)

Don't mean to be rude to the chap, but I really struggle with his writing style. Anyone who has ever had to mark third-year English undergraduates' work will recognize all the typical pitfalls here: overly verbose, exhaustive use of adverbs and adjectives, too many attempts at unnecessarily intricate sentence structure, which invariably fall down grammatically, and clunky interpolation of stock phrases. It's a classic case of overwriting.

Edited by Dgzter at 11:17:47 13-10-2017
  • quadfather 13 Oct 2017 11:19:52 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Totally agree - I found it annoying to read.

If it's anything like the first one, I'll like it. Albeit with an invincibility mode :)
  • Tomo 13 Oct 2017 11:29:24 15,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Spoiler free summary of the EG review? Started the opening paragraph and already established I didn't want to read on...
  • JamboWayOh 13 Oct 2017 11:37:44 2,529 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There aren't really many spoilers in that review. Essentially, it's open world but it's implementation is a double edged sword. Some faff about the story being some kind of trope, moan about supporting cast, stealth is lukewarm, gameplay centers around resource collection if you're into that kind of thing. Also talks about over reliance on jump scares and that the game follows the original's tendency for shifting level design.

Basically if you enjoyed the first then you'll probably enjoy this, the review believes this to be a cash in and doubts a third being made.
  • Tomo 13 Oct 2017 11:40:15 15,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shifting level design was the best thing about the original... One minute you were in a corridor, the next falling through the sky. Batshit crazy.

OK, sounds like a purchase to me anyway. Not enough there to put me off.
  • grassyknoll 13 Oct 2017 11:45:00 619 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got my copy and gonna give it a few hours play now before doing some errands. Will post a mini review.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Oct 2017 11:51:57 1,675 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Dgzter Indeed. I've found a few of his reviews a bit toe-curling to read. My post-grad supervisor was absolute death on adverbs and would sometimes spend half a seminar ranting at a student she felt had used too many. Use a cliche in text you'd handed in and she'd pretty much jump over the desk and hit you with a ruler. I still probably use too many adjectives, but she did wonders for my written style and I think this reviewer could do with some of the same discipline. Even Orwell's six rules of writing might help.

As for the game, I'm on the fence and probably waiting for a sale. I enjoyed the opening sections of the first one but got bored and dropped it at around the 4 hour mark. The second one does sound better, judging by the spectrum of reviews this morning, but I'm not sure I want to drop Ł31 on it (the cheapest I can see the PC version) with so many other games to play at the moment.
  • b0rk 13 Oct 2017 14:17:06 7,324 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Review's up

Reads harsh imo
    Yeah, but its not putting me off in the slightest to be honest :)

Don't mean to be rude to the chap, but I really struggle with his writing style. Anyone who has ever had to mark third-year English undergraduates' work will recognize all the typical pitfalls here: overly verbose, exhaustive use of adverbs and adjectives, too many attempts at unnecessarily intricate sentence structure, which invariably fall down grammatically, and clunky interpolation of stock phrases. It's a classic case of overwriting.
    Hm, most of that went over my head but I did find myself becoming enraged reading his review, like he was in love with his own words or some shit. Whatever, what the fuck do I know anyway.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.