iPhone X and other stories Page 13

  • Page

    of 19 First / Last

  • Armoured_Bear 13 Sep 2017 23:26:03 20,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Depends if you're spending a couple of quid on a single issue, up to twenty quid on a collection or whatever the price for something rare. I see what you're doing, but cmon I'm just an arse hole on a forum you're never going to meet and hang out with in your normal life. Have I struck a nerve?
    You were just talking shite and I pulled you up on it, simple as that :)
    Well no, not really. But whatever you've won this round. Still think you're wrong about jars of pre made sauces...
    No, I've even more right about that :)
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 23:26:56 1,732 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fack off!
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Sep 2017 23:28:21 20,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Fack off!
    Back to your comics, leave the cooking to the adults :)
  • thelzdking 14 Sep 2017 00:46:08 6,117 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Bloobat wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    I don't get people complaining about the price. It's like complaining a Rolex is too expensive. If it is, don't fucking buy it then.
    In no way shape or form can you compare Apple to Rolex. That's just a ridiculous comparison.
    Not really. A 10 watch will tell the time as well as a 10k rolex. A 50 phone will make calls and
    check emails as well as a 1000 iPhone.
    Not comparable: a 10k Rolex shows that you have too much money and are probably a wanker, whereas a 1k Iphone shows that you have too much money and are probably a... oh.
    You're a wanker if you buy a phone you don't like?
    What kind of a small-minded cretin are you?
    TRIGGERED!
  • thelzdking 14 Sep 2017 00:48:37 6,117 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Bloobat wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    I don't get people complaining about the price. It's like complaining a Rolex is too expensive. If it is, don't fucking buy it then.
    In no way shape or form can you compare Apple to Rolex. That's just a ridiculous comparison.
    Not really. A 10 watch will tell the time as well as a 10k rolex. A 50 phone will make calls and
    check emails as well as a 1000 iPhone.
    Not comparable: a 10k Rolex shows that you have too much money and are probably a wanker, whereas a 1k Iphone shows that you have too much money and are probably a... oh.
    ...A winner who goes home and fucks the prom queen!
    And, TBF, gets a top-quality POV video of it on their shithot Iphone.
  • ozthegweat 14 Sep 2017 00:54:20 1,560 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    My thinking is that things are getting somewhat weird now where spending a grand on a phone is now being broached as something normal. At the end of the day its intended function is to make call,regardless of all the things that can be done now.
    I think we're long past such a device being primarily defined as a phone. For a lot of people it's their primary computing device, more so than laptops and tablets, let alone desktop PCs. I'd wager that for a substantial number of people, the camera and the music player (two separate devices not so long ago) is ranked a more important feature of their smartphone than the ability to make calls.

    So people wanting to buy a premium version of a device that is so important to them is quite understandable.
  • Bloobat 14 Sep 2017 02:48:44 893 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Bloobat wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Bloobat wrote:
    @nickthegun Yes I agree with that 100%. I am referring more to the fact that Rolex are respected for using extremely high quality materials as well as their products lasting for years and years. Apple on the other hand are known for having the highest failure rate of any phone brand, a result of low quality materials, as well as their products needing replacing ever year or two.
    Rolex's increase in value over time, Apple's decrease.
    That is nonsense. I will admit that the iphone 6 had some problems, but 'highest failure rate of ANY brand'? No way. And as for low quality materials - have you held an iphone recently? They are premium products.


    Premium product!! The only thing premium is the price and packaging. Honestly Google the materials, the glass is particularly low quality and easily shattered. Speakers low quality, metal is a composite that is easily dented...

    I mean you just have to look at how many people smash their phone screens to kmow its not a durable or well built product.
    "Google the materials" ... er, not that easy to do. You mention the glass... Apple list Corning as one of their suppliers so they probably use a tweaked version of Gorilla Glass (like their premium competitors) but since Apple don't explicitly tell us, we'll never know for sure.

    Many many reviews talk about how great the camera is (whether it's best or not is probably a bit subjective, but its inarguably very good), and how the fit and finish of the phone is excellent. The touch ID sensor is class leading. You can tell me that the Samsung S8 is better and I might accept that (I don't know), but to say that the iPhone is low quality is just ridiculous.
    I can't speak for Samsung or LG but I can compare it to Sony as that's the brand I use.
    Sony's fingerprint sensor is side mounted (much more convenient) and faster than the Iphone's. The Glass on my XZ premium is Gorilla glass 5, just YouTube some drop tests to see how indestructible the screen is. The screen is 4k HDR, a cut above the Iphone X and anything else on the market. The Camera is 19mp and offers 960FPS slo mo as well as 4k video and stabilization, again vastly superior to the iPhone.

    In fact the one area the Premium loses out to the Iphone X on is bezels and that is only because it offers dual front facing speakers, and as someone who watches a lot of videos on my phone is a feature I much prefer having.

    ..I could keep going on but those are all facts and show that a vastly cheaper phone than the iPhone X is in fact more reliable and has a better feature set.
  • Mfolf 14 Sep 2017 06:19:51 1,054 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    The camera on the iPhone (plus at least) takes better pictures though.

    Touchid button on front makes more sense, much easier to unlock when sitting on a table. Nor is it faster.

    My iPhone has dual speakers.

    A 4K screen on a phone :'D

    Edited by Mfolf at 06:33:58 14-09-2017
  • spindizzy 14 Sep 2017 06:45:19 7,618 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bloobat wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Bloobat wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Bloobat wrote:
    @nickthegun Yes I agree with that 100%. I am referring more to the fact that Rolex are respected for using extremely high quality materials as well as their products lasting for years and years. Apple on the other hand are known for having the highest failure rate of any phone brand, a result of low quality materials, as well as their products needing replacing ever year or two.
    Rolex's increase in value over time, Apple's decrease.
    That is nonsense. I will admit that the iphone 6 had some problems, but 'highest failure rate of ANY brand'? No way. And as for low quality materials - have you held an iphone recently? They are premium products.


    Premium product!! The only thing premium is the price and packaging. Honestly Google the materials, the glass is particularly low quality and easily shattered. Speakers low quality, metal is a composite that is easily dented...

    I mean you just have to look at how many people smash their phone screens to kmow its not a durable or well built product.
    "Google the materials" ... er, not that easy to do. You mention the glass... Apple list Corning as one of their suppliers so they probably use a tweaked version of Gorilla Glass (like their premium competitors) but since Apple don't explicitly tell us, we'll never know for sure.

    Many many reviews talk about how great the camera is (whether it's best or not is probably a bit subjective, but its inarguably very good), and how the fit and finish of the phone is excellent. The touch ID sensor is class leading. You can tell me that the Samsung S8 is better and I might accept that (I don't know), but to say that the iPhone is low quality is just ridiculous.
    I can't speak for Samsung or LG but I can compare it to Sony as that's the brand I use.
    Sony's fingerprint sensor is side mounted (much more convenient) and faster than the Iphone's. The Glass on my XZ premium is Gorilla glass 5, just YouTube some drop tests to see how indestructible the screen is. The screen is 4k HDR, a cut above the Iphone X and anything else on the market. The Camera is 19mp and offers 960FPS slo mo as well as 4k video and stabilization, again vastly superior to the iPhone.

    In fact the one area the Premium loses out to the Iphone X on is bezels and that is only because it offers dual front facing speakers, and as someone who watches a lot of videos on my phone is a feature I much prefer having.

    ..I could keep going on but those are all facts and show that a vastly cheaper phone than the iPhone X is in fact more reliable and has a better feature set.
    My point was not that the iPhone is better than the Xperia - maybe it is, maybe it isn't ... frankly I don't know and don't really care. They're both great phones. I was just objecting to you suggesting that the iPhone wasn't a premium phone, made from premium materials.

    Not to waste too much more time on this but:
    a) the iPhone might have Gorilla Glass 5 as well. We don't know. It's certainly very scratch resistant and very strong.
    b) The iPhone 7 onwards have two front facing cameras and can do bokeh type effects as a result. Reviews are generally very impressed. Some reviews in fact aren't that complimentary about the Xperia, so as I said ... subjective. *
    c) I'm pretty sure that the iPhone 7 onwards have dual speakers too. The iPhone 8 certainly does.

    Again - if you're happy with the xperia, then great. If you think it's better value (and a better phone than the iPhone) - fine (though of course others might disagree).

    * http://www.techradar.com/news/best-camera-phone/14

    Edited by spindizzy at 06:45:32 14-09-2017
  • Tonka 14 Sep 2017 07:06:48 26,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ban all quote n00bs
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Sep 2017 07:13:12 9,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My phone is better than your phone and I'm pretty y sure my dad can beat your dad up.
  • elstoof 14 Sep 2017 07:49:33 18,350 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh no, not composite metals!!
  • spindizzy 14 Sep 2017 07:59:48 7,618 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Ban all quote n00bs
    I wrote:
    Sorry!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2017 08:04:06 9,867 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    My phone is better than your phone and I'm pretty y sure my dad can beat your dad up.
    I think you'll find the goods or services that I choose to buy are vastly superior to the goods or services that you choose to buy IDIOT.
  • SYS64738 14 Sep 2017 08:05:14 4,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Ban all quote n00bs
    I wrote:
    Sorry!
    Beautiful!
  • beastmaster 14 Sep 2017 08:10:58 17,264 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bloobat wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Bloobat wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Bloobat wrote:
    @nickthegun Yes I agree with that 100%. I am referring more to the fact that Rolex are respected for using extremely high quality materials as well as their products lasting for years and years. Apple on the other hand are known for having the highest failure rate of any phone brand, a result of low quality materials, as well as their products needing replacing ever year or two.
    Rolex's increase in value over time, Apple's decrease.
    That is nonsense. I will admit that the iphone 6 had some problems, but 'highest failure rate of ANY brand'? No way. And as for low quality materials - have you held an iphone recently? They are premium products.


    Premium product!! The only thing premium is the price and packaging. Honestly Google the materials, the glass is particularly low quality and easily shattered. Speakers low quality, metal is a composite that is easily dented...

    I mean you just have to look at how many people smash their phone screens to kmow its not a durable or well built product.
    "Google the materials" ... er, not that easy to do. You mention the glass... Apple list Corning as one of their suppliers so they probably use a tweaked version of Gorilla Glass (like their premium competitors) but since Apple don't explicitly tell us, we'll never know for sure.

    Many many reviews talk about how great the camera is (whether it's best or not is probably a bit subjective, but its inarguably very good), and how the fit and finish of the phone is excellent. The touch ID sensor is class leading. You can tell me that the Samsung S8 is better and I might accept that (I don't know), but to say that the iPhone is low quality is just ridiculous.
    I can't speak for Samsung or LG but I can compare it to Sony as that's the brand I use.
    Sony's fingerprint sensor is side mounted (much more convenient) and faster than the Iphone's. The Glass on my XZ premium is Gorilla glass 5, just YouTube some drop tests to see how indestructible the screen is. The screen is 4k HDR, a cut above the Iphone X and anything else on the market. The Camera is 19mp and offers 960FPS slo mo as well as 4k video and stabilization, again vastly superior to the iPhone.

    In fact the one area the Premium loses out to the Iphone X on is bezels and that is only because it offers dual front facing speakers, and as someone who watches a lot of videos on my phone is a feature I much prefer having.

    ..I could keep going on but those are all facts and show that a vastly cheaper phone than the iPhone X is in fact more reliable and has a better feature set.
    But it doesn't run iOS and there therefore infinity * infinity worse!

    :-)
  • SYS64738 14 Sep 2017 08:14:22 4,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    My thinking is that things are getting somewhat weird now where spending a grand on a phone is now being broached as something normal.

    To me it seems more bizarre as phones are becoming so disposable now with people wanting that latest thing.
    I think this is an interesting point.

    I'm very much old-school in that I prefer to buy my stuff outright, and try to get as much enjoyment/use out of it for as long as possible (i.e. until something breaks, or doesn't perform adequately anymore, which doesn't mean "I need something prettier and slightly incrementally better").

    Understand that the culture shifted a lot more to a goods as a service model (renting/leasing) so people don't bat an eyelid as much given that their phone contracts might go up by just a little bit, compared to buying these things in the old fashioned way.

    On the other hand, what do people do when the contract is up for renewal? Assume most ditch their current phones on eBay et al? So someone else buys it outright, but if those people also want new shiny every other year then we still end up with a rather large pile of more and more (originally at least) expensive gadgetry.

    It just seems like such a waste of resources, while companies like Apple (but many others also of course) make a ton of money on this model. Just doesn't sit well with me to be honest, not that I can do much about it.
  • beastmaster 14 Sep 2017 08:18:01 17,264 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Let's assume the kids see the talking poop and then start asking for the phone this Xmas. It is a massive steep amount to fork out, regardless of how you do it.
  • elstoof 14 Sep 2017 08:21:10 18,350 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No different to how the car market works now, most people buying new cars on PCP deals and trading it in after 2-4 years for something new and the AUC market is kept extremely well stocked. You have to apply man maths to see the value in doing it because you get hammered in the long run, but new shiny is worth it to most people
  • SYS64738 14 Sep 2017 08:23:00 4,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah that's another thing... kids with expensive phones/tablets etc.

    I was grateful to get bigger items such as a computer, or a bike or something, back in the days as a present - and they were keepers for years.

    I'm so obviously out of touch with modern life.
  • SYS64738 14 Sep 2017 08:25:37 4,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    No different to how the car market works now, most people buying new cars on PCP deals and trading it in after 2-4 years for something new and the AUC market is kept extremely well stocked. You have to apply man maths to see the value in doing it because you get hammered in the long run, but new shiny is worth it to most people
    Yeah I was going to mention that before I edited my post... same thing here, I always bought my cars outright... it's just that feeling that something truly belongs to me and not the bank or a leasing company imposing their rules and limitations on how I use it.

    For my phone, I (and you may laugh now) never in my life was on a contract, ok this might change now but I will still just go for a sim only one as I don't see the need to replace my phone - it works fine and is about 2 years old now.

    I'm a bit weird like that I admit.
  • elstoof 14 Sep 2017 08:40:37 18,350 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Depends where you draw the line, borrowing is essential for a lot of things like mortgages etc otherwise you'll never live long enough to enjoy new things. I don't see a problem with high turnover of handsets if you dig it, a grand does phone is obviously a lot but in the grand scheme of it it's a trivial amount to most people over the typical 2 year time frame
  • SYS64738 14 Sep 2017 09:14:50 4,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @elstoof

    Oh for sure, would love to be in a position to purchase a home in cash but realistically that will never happen unless I win the lotto. And I'm still renting even though I probably could afford a mortgage somewhere else because I have certain expectations of where I want to live, which may not always match with my income levels.

    The older I get though (and ironically the higher my disposable income), especially when it comes to electronic consumer items, the more I pause and think "do I really need this, or replace what I have?" - current gen consoles are a good example - prices are getting out of hand for games in particular and the accelerated 'upgrade' cycle forces you to shell out more money, more often.

    I believe it's increasingly unnecessary as improvements are much more incremental compared to say a decade ago. I'm just tired of the consumer rat race I think.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Sep 2017 09:22:09 20,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bloobat wrote:
    I can't speak for Samsung or LG but I can compare it to Sony as that's the brand I use.
    Sony's fingerprint sensor is side mounted (much more convenient) and faster than the Iphone's.
    How can it be faster than the iPhone 7 which is instant, there isn't even any perception that you're unlocking the phone? press home and that's it.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Sep 2017 09:23:12 20,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    No different to how the car market works now, most people buying new cars on PCP deals and trading it in after 2-4 years for something new and the AUC market is kept extremely well stocked. You have to apply man maths to see the value in doing it because you get hammered in the long run, but new shiny is worth it to most people
    AUC?
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Sep 2017 09:25:08 20,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I change my phone every year, the flagship iPhone, I sell it on an auction site and usually only have a hundred quid or so changeover. It's not as if you're spending a grand every year or two.
  • SYS64738 14 Sep 2017 09:33:35 4,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I change my phone every year, the flagship iPhone, I sell it on an auction site and usually only have a hundred quid or so changeover. It's not as if you're spending a grand every year or two.
    And fine, that's your prerogative. But

    a) what value do you get out of changing your phone on an annual basis
    b) why do people pay close to RRP for a second hand item if they could get it brand new for say a 10% increase (as that is what your post suggests)

    Everyone's got their motives and all but yeah doesn't compute personally.

    Edit - and assume AUC = used car market

    Edited by SYS64738 at 09:36:59 14-09-2017
  • Tonka 14 Sep 2017 10:10:36 26,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @spindizzy

    WOW!
  • GuybrushThreepwood 14 Sep 2017 10:25:26 853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Depends where you draw the line, borrowing is essential for a lot of things like mortgages etc otherwise you'll never live long enough to enjoy new things. I don't see a problem with high turnover of handsets if you dig it, a grand does phone is obviously a lot but in the grand scheme of it it's a trivial amount to most people over the typical 2 year time frame
    1000 is trivial to "most people"? 500 a year is not what I'd call trivial and I'm earning more than the average and therefore more than "most" people.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Sep 2017 10:37:22 20,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I change my phone every year, the flagship iPhone, I sell it on an auction site and usually only have a hundred quid or so changeover. It's not as if you're spending a grand every year or two.
    And fine, that's your prerogative. But

    a) what value do you get out of changing your phone on an annual basis
    b) why do people pay close to RRP for a second hand item if they could get it brand new for say a 10% increase (as that is what your post suggests)

    Everyone's got their motives and all but yeah doesn't compute personally.

    Edit - and assume AUC = used car market
    a)I always have a shiny new phone with the best camera and new battery at little annual cost.
    b) I did wonder this at first as I would't but I think many people think "That's me saving 100 quid" rather than "that's only 15% less than new, not worth it".
  • Page

    of 19 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.