Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition on physical disc for the PlayStation 4

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Bionic_Pixel 13 Aug 2017 15:33:07 24 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Damn, forgot about the 11th August release date.

Standard edition is limited to 5,000 copies - SOLD OUT
    https://limitedrungames.com/products/limited-run-74-night-trap-ps4?variant=43337253827

Collector's edition is limited to 3,000 copies - SOLD OUT
    https://limitedrungames.com/collections/games/products/limited-run-74-night-trap-collectors-edition-ps4?variant=43337256387

There is a ton of them for sale on ebay for hyper inflated prices :(

Edited by Bionic_Pixel at 15:33:25 13-08-2017
  • X201 13 Aug 2017 16:00:47 18,084 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just buy it on Steam

Less clutter
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 13 Aug 2017 17:00:24 2,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PC physical still available at LRG too ;)

The PS4 ones sold fast, less than 3 minutes for all. SE and LEs at both sale times.

Ebay prices may drop a bit once the immediate hype goes and people stop buying them.

If you message LRG support they apparently have a waiting list for any cancelled copies but to be fair that will likely be a slim chance.
  • neilka 13 Aug 2017 17:11:39 20,274 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Replaying a game that you can't currently play because it only works on a single console that has been obsolete for 25 years by... buying a copy that only works on a single console that will be obsolete in a couple of years.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 13 Aug 2017 17:22:30 2,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Replaying a game that you can't currently play because it only works on a single console that has been obsolete for 25 years by... buying a copy that only works on a single console that will be obsolete in a couple of years.
    Believe it or not if you have an original Mega CD (or 3DO or other port) and the original console (or an emulator) they will still work today ;) I have personally never owned or played the game. The original PC version might be harder to get running if it was old enough to be pre95. The documentary about its creation on Youtube is quite interesting though.
  • ChiefGB 13 Aug 2017 21:11:05 6,867 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It barely could be classified as a game all the way back then so I doubt things have got better for it. I'm on board from a rose tinted specs point of view. But those coming in fresh be warned. I think back in the day people took it seriously when in fact the game itself clearly didn't. I'd love to revisit it but think I'll wait for a mega sale.
  • ChiefGB 13 Aug 2017 21:15:25 6,867 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also I believe Aug 11th has passed but it's not out??

Ah digitally on the 15th

Edited by ChiefGB at 21:16:34 13-08-2017
  • ubergine 14 Aug 2017 04:31:57 7,161 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this the time to point out that PS4 doesn't play CDs?
  • brigadier 14 Aug 2017 04:40:31 872 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's more a curiosity than anything.

Also, I refuse to buy anything from LRG.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Aug 2017 12:53:13 2,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    brigadier wrote:
    It's more a curiosity than anything.

Also, I refuse to buy anything from LRG.
    I like physical games so I buy the games I want to play or want to have a physical copy of for the future (picked up The Bunker as I enjoyed it and got it on sale digitally) I don't buy to keep shrinkwrapped forever on my shelf.

I have only bought 15 games from them (2 on multiple formats) though. The fact they allow ylu to hold shipping now helps as does heirbDDP shipping (no VAT to pay).

They do release a lot if stuff that I don't care about though.
  • brigadier 14 Aug 2017 13:40:05 872 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx

I love physical games too, it's just the fact they create frenzy by keeping units so low and appealing to both completionist collectors and scalpers.

There have been about 3 games I was desperate to get a copy of because I genuinely love the game and want a physical copy. All of which went in seconds, despite me being as fast as possible.

Even games with huge demand, they still refuse to do a second printing. "Limited means limited, one time only".

If they just said "we've got loads, don't worry" they'd be a much better company in my opinion. Or take preorders before printing perhaps?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Aug 2017 21:13:20 2,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do prefer non limited games but luckily so far I haven't missed out on any I went for which seems to include a bunch of the fastest selling ones (Soldner, Oddworlds, Firewatch, , Aztebreed, Dariusburst, Wonderboy and Night Trap (the documentary persuade me and I like the odd cheesy 'game'). I haven't gone for LEs of any of them although I did get soundtrack bundles of Soldner and Astebreed.
  • FilthyAnimal 14 Aug 2017 21:34:35 9 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I do buy from LRG on a regular basis, but they turn the popular games into such a rat race that I'm on the verge of not bothering anymore. Still, I did manage to get Night Trap and The Bunker. Bought Wonder Boy from Asia Play though. Same with Ys Origins. Couldn't be doing with the hassle.

LRG's raison d'κtre is starting to dwindle though. While there are a few "holdouts" as it were that choose to eschew physical releases for ideological reasons (cough, Ninja Theory), it's quite rare for prominent indie releases to NOT get a major physical console release through publishers nowadays. The common strategy is to self-publish digitally and engage a publisher like 505 Games or Bad Land Games to handle the physical side of things. Seems to be doing well as the number of indie games at retail is growing rather quickly.

Even THQ Nordic is in on the action nowadays with a fairly successful release of Sine Mora EX on the PS4.

Personally, I buy the games to keep and pass down to my kids, not for financial value, although my Vita copy of Dariusburst CS is probably the most sustainably valuable one I've got (for how long is another question - the number of working Vitas is likely to dwindle to a trickle in the not-too-distant future).

I don't expect Night Trap to maintain anything near the value that scalpers are demanding for it. Honestly, I think the obsession with the monetary value of the games is likely to be what drives the prices down in the end - the games aren't popular enough to really drive demand later down the line when PS4 goes offline and retro. If you want games with a financial investment, seek out English-language Asian releases of popular downloadables like Wonder Boy and Shadow of the Beast.

Fuck scalpers though. I hope the cunts go bankrupt.

Edited by FilthyAnimal at 21:38:33 14-08-2017
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Aug 2017 22:42:14 2,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I preordered Shadow of the Beast and enjoyed it ;)

Sadly Play Asia's hit and miss rate with customs was getting too high a percentage of hits with lovely 8 quid handling fees for a couple of quid worth of taxes. LRG and Amazon are the only shops that do DDP or let you pay just the taxes that I know of (others declare low but that is a different kettle of fish), that got them my Wonderboy order and hopefully an Ys Origin too.
  • caligari 14 Aug 2017 23:18:55 17,563 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I really can't wait for this to be released - I used to gawp at the images of games such as this, Road Avenger and Microcosm in Mean Machines Sega/CVG et al and drool over the thought of owning a Mega CD.
  • ChiefGB 15 Aug 2017 02:53:09 6,867 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well it's still not appeared on the store. I appreciate maybe not everything god on at 12:01 but most usually do. This one isn't even available for pre order
  • FilthyAnimal 15 Aug 2017 08:30:00 9 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Sadly Play Asia's hit and miss rate with customs was getting too high a percentage of hits with lovely 8 quid handling fees for a couple of quid worth of taxes. LRG and Amazon are the only shops that do DDP or let you pay just the taxes that I know of (others declare low but that is a different kettle of fish), that got them my Wonderboy order and hopefully an Ys Origin too.
    Thankfully I live in Germany where the customs rules are a little fairer. Up to a shipping value of around 28€ including shipping, no taxes are payable, because it falls under the materiality threshold of €5. It's a pain in the arse to pick it up, but if taxes are payable on it, it'll be at least €5 and won't have any handling charges.

Also, Play Asia now has a customs processing service. You actually have to pay $5 + customs VAT extra for it but it means that customs charges are paid properly and you theoretically don't have to pick up the package as it'll be declared properly. I should mention that I'm still waiting for my package as one of my orders included a pre-order that isn't out yet, so I can't confirm that the customs processing service works flawlessly.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Aug 2017 09:49:27 2,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FilthyAnimal wrote:
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Thankfully I live in Germany where the customs rules are a little fairer. Up to a shipping value of around 28€ including shipping, no taxes are payable, because it falls under the materiality threshold of €5. It's a pain in the arse to pick it up, but if taxes are payable on it, it'll be at least €5 and won't have any handling charges.

Also, Play Asia now has a customs processing service. You actually have to pay $5 + customs VAT extra for it but it means that customs charges are paid properly and you theoretically don't have to pick up the package as it'll be declared properly. I should mention that I'm still waiting for my package as one of my orders included a pre-order that isn't out yet, so I can't confirm that the customs processing service works flawlessly.
    The UK customs threshold has always been ridiculously low although I thought moat of the EU were the same. I saw the Play Asia thing but it isn't quite as good as Amazon and LRG because LRG swallow the customs cost somewhere (shipping remained the same price when DDP was introduced) and Amazon only charge you an estimated VAT that you get back if they don't get charged. Oddly my last couple of orders including a new 3DS XL had a 0.00 estimate and didn't get any charges.

As for the topic, release times do seem to vary but I assume it is confirmed for European release. There are still a few games that are in the US that we never see. A few that spring to mind are PSP Summon Night 5 and one I really want to get an LRG release just so I can play the game easily, Stranger of Sword City Revisited although I am not sure if the NISA version restricts a physical of the updated version in any way... (And I think LRG has shot that one down as an upcoming release). I think both (the Vita ones anyway) of the actual Mighty Rabbit releases never left the US store but I have no interest in those two.
  • markytonline83 15 Aug 2017 10:50:26 796 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have about 40 limited run games on both Vita and PS4 and never once had a problem getting a game I wanted. A good tip is to wait for the second batch if you miss the first batch. They always sell in two batches. The second batch always takes longer to sell, sometimes taking up to 3-4 days to sell out.
  • jonc24 15 Aug 2017 16:38:49 21 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's still not appeared on PSN. Weird because it wasn't available for preorder so I wonder if it's been delayed?
  • ChiefGB 15 Aug 2017 16:51:48 6,867 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah got a bit bored of repeating myself but it's nowhere to be found. Did it actually physically release on the 11th?
  • jonc24 15 Aug 2017 16:58:44 21 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No there was a limited tun on the physical game but they aren't shipping till today. I've had a look and it's on the US PSN although it doesn't show up in their search either it's just in Games -> New. Seems to be just another case of Sony EU not giving a shit?

Also so an intersecting looking game on their store called Observer starting Rutger Hauer. Set in a Blade Runner type world. Never heard of it before but it's also not on our store yet.....

Edited by jonc24 at 17:00:39 15-08-2017
  • ChiefGB 15 Aug 2017 17:02:41 6,867 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes word has hit the forum about this observer, looks right up my street.
  • ChiefGB 15 Aug 2017 17:11:07 6,867 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just clocked this on us psn ($14:99) lol brings back such memories still though that I can't help but smile.
  • jonc24 15 Aug 2017 17:28:05 21 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Observer deva have said on Twitter that we should see it on EU PSN by midnight so maybe we'll have to wait for Night Trap too?
  • jonc24 15 Aug 2017 17:33:04 21 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok so the Night Trap remastered Dec Screaming Villain has said on Twitter that it's not coming to UK PSN today and that it was misrepresented in the media as a worldwide release date of today. That's a joke as there was never any other date released by them!!!!

Edit- they're saying EU release is due mid September because of language translations....

Edited by jonc24 at 17:38:45 15-08-2017
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Aug 2017 17:53:37 2,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jonc24 wrote:
    The Observer deva have said on Twitter that we should see it on EU PSN by midnight so maybe we'll have to wait for Night Trap too?
    Hadn't heard of this one. Sounds interesting though. Late Shift is another I looked at but haven't bought or tried. I did buy and enjoy The Bunker. One day I need to play my Tesla Effect properly on PC too.
  • jonc24 15 Aug 2017 17:58:20 21 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone know where the best place to buy US PSN codes is? Seems that's out only option for getting Night Trap till at least next month...
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Aug 2017 18:35:40 2,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I used PCgamesupply in the past for them.
  • ChiefGB 15 Aug 2017 18:51:33 6,867 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Actually I saw earlier that nfs is going really cheap ontjere so I was thinking similar, "what's the best way to get it" will look into this.
    Also R.E night trap, that's bullshit, talk about last minute rug pulling.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.