Forza Motorsport 7 Page 10

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• JiveHound 4 Oct 2017 11:32:56 8,987 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Do you more experienced Forza players agree with the review that traction control should be left on? It‘s stated in a manner as if it‘s well-known that it‘s what you should do in Forza games.

I wish more games did it like Assetto Corsa and had default/factory settings.
    I imagine it would depend on the car. I usually turn off but kept on for that porsche in the demo.
  • ModoX 4 Oct 2017 12:38:01 2,925 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The buggers are slippy enough as it is, I have it all turned on, but nothing is assisted obviously.
  • ModoX 4 Oct 2017 12:40:45 2,925 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 4 October 2017 12:50:21
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    secombe wrote:
    Homologation does seem to have rendered upgrades and customisation redundant (unless I’ve missed something). I’ve not even delved into changing wheels, brakes etc as I no longer understand why I need to or how it will affect my use of that car.
    Homologation is just the old auto-upgrade system that can upgrade to arbitrary levels not just classes. And since you always wanted to be at the top of the PI class for the event you're not actually any more restricted than you ever were before.

You are free to strip all the auto upgrades out of a car and fit whatever parts you want up to the series limits. (I, for instance, prefer to strip everything down to fit all the adjustable parts and maximise lightness over power).
    You are absolutely more limited. You used to be able to take a D-spec car, upgrade it into a B-spec car, and race in a B-spec championship.

Now a D-spec must always be a D-spec, if you upgrade it then it isn't eligible to race and becomes useless. This is because there's no longer any such thing as a standard D-spec race or a standard B-spec race. There's a D-spec hot hatch race or a B-spec touring car race. And you can't stop a hot hatch being a hot hatch and there's no such thing as a hot hatch race that isn't D-spec, meaning your car is useless if you upgrade it.

On top of that, when you buy a car, it's already upgraded to the top of its class by default, so you don't even get the satisfaction of that small level of upgrading. As you said, you are free to take the time to strip it down and build it back up again to the same performance level, but it's just not the same.
  • SYS64738 4 Oct 2017 13:02:37 4,868 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quokka wrote:
    Now a D-spec must always be a D-spec, if you upgrade it then it isn't eligible to race and becomes useless. This is because there's no longer any such thing as a standard D-spec race or a standard B-spec race. There's a D-spec hot hatch race or a B-spec touring car race. And you can't stop a hot hatch being a hot hatch and there's no such thing as a hot hatch race that isn't D-spec, meaning your car is useless if you upgrade it.

On top of that, when you buy a car, it's already upgraded to the top of its class by default, so you don't even get the satisfaction of that small level of upgrading. As you said, you are free to take the time to strip it down and build it back up again to the same performance level, but it's just not the same.
    This is such a weird design choice. What's the point in leaving the option to tune cars in at all then?

The points raised in the front page review and here are properly putting me off this now, will stick to Horizon 3 for the time being at least - still have dozens and dozens of cars to add to my collection and plenty of events to be completed.

Just feels like the more "fun" game all round to be honest, compared to F7. Not to mention the technical issues with the PC version.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2017 13:07:19
    The front page review makes me wish I had bought Forza 6 instead. Forza 5 was really disappointing and I ignored 6 because of it, but bought this because I haven't played this sort of game in quite a while and I don't think GT Motorsport will scratch the itch - turns out F7 won't either though.

It still drives really well so not as disappointing as PC2, but tweaking and upgrading and feeling invested and attached to specific cars used to be a really big part of these games for me.
  • Captain_Toad 4 Oct 2017 13:53:22 389 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    The game does look incredible, and even more so in 21:9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m77tM-tu6xs
  • secombe 5 Oct 2017 04:59:21 1,453 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As a new XBox owner I wish I’d opted for FM6, particularly as all the content was cheap on the XBox store a few weeks back. From what I’ve read that’s the one closest in spirit to FM4 (which I played extensively back then and remains the benchmark).

I fear all the added shenanigans in FM7 is a taste of what we can expect from Horizon 4.
  • Nitrous 5 Oct 2017 06:40:15 1,553 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All this talk of FM6... I can see where people are coming from but the career mode wasn't great and became a grind. The wet tracks while ok are nothing in comparison to what's in FM7. In FM6 the puddles are already in certain areas but in FM7 they build up. I only noticed this yesterday.

The tuning aspect in FM7 isn't as good for those who want to put certain cars into a different classes. I sort of see why they went with the homologation route but it's a change they will either stick with for FM8 or revert back to the older system.

Not sold on these loot crates but I'm yet to buy one. A wheel spin in FH3 at least gave you a bit of cash or a car and in FM6 it was cash or cars at the end of a race. For FM7 a level up reward is either a car, cash or a race suit but you can choose. If you can't skip and decide later which I've started doing.

In terms of the actual driving though it's great. It feels like an improvement and while it's probably slightly easier to not drift it is easier to maintain one with good throttle control. The cockpit camera is a welcome addition for those who don't like seeing a wheel.

It's not a sim game like AC but does have a few sim elements. At the end of the day it's a fun game to play.
  • KD 5 Oct 2017 09:21:04 1,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't get much done of 6, did the championships for the types of cars I care about but loads I couldn't be bothered doing. I just did the league racing for most of it online but that's not in this one yet I heard.
  • ModoX 5 Oct 2017 11:03:16 2,925 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only put a few hours into 6 and found the career mode a dreadful bore. So in that sense I'm doing much better this time round. Maybe it's just because I've had the time off from typical Forza, but it feels like it is a bit more varied and not as much of a mountain to climb. 10ish hours in and I'm on the third championship. there's plenty to go back to but I feel like I'm making good progress.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Oct 2017 13:06:56 2,118 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also found the career mode in 6 rather dull. Unfortunately, due to the changes to how tuning works, I'm not sure I'll find 7 any better.
  • Fake_Blood 5 Oct 2017 15:53:56 7,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not running well on my pc. The actual racing is just fine, but the menus hitch and stutter, and after the 3rd intro race it crashed to desktop.
    I bet there will be an update soon, but I also bet it will be another 99GB to download.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Oct 2017 18:50:50 30,783 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The weather and lighting in this is so sexy it makes me feel all funny down there.

Also, if they add in some more racing trucks I might even buy a car pack or two. Those things are fun.
  • Nitrous 5 Oct 2017 23:02:59 1,553 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    VIP membership is getting some added value back. Apparently Turn 10 noticed the negative feedback (how could they not see it) Got my 4 cars this morning along with 1mil.

Even without that I'm getting enough cars and cash to not really need the VIP membership in the first place.
    Some of the cars it's saying 100k discount and cost is 0 but if you skip to decide later you can go and see the actual value of the car. One of them I was offered wasn't even worth Ł100k to start with so that time I went with the money plus it wasn't a great car.
  • ModoX 6 Oct 2017 08:47:52 2,925 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I unlocked the Monza race gear last night, so I'm pretty chuffed :) Probably not taking that off now, I love Monza from spending way too many hours playing F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast.

I'm in the ... Domination championship now I think. There's a GT series and a sports touring, plus some more that look like they should be nice weighty, grippy cars. The GTs were probably the best cars I've driven so far, was enjoying it much more.
  • SYS64738 6 Oct 2017 12:23:17 4,868 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good in-depth review (despite being WIP, and they since released a follow up video) from the good folks at Inside Sim Racing:

Harshest, and by the looks of things, most honest one yet, particularly for PC users. Bottom line is, Xbox users wait for a sale, PC don't touch until they patch the hell out of this.

Terrible AI and PC performance being the worst offenders overall. Also some interesting bits of info on issues with the driving model and how to address them, somewhat at least.

Will I honestly have to sway back to Project Cars 2 again for my next racing game fix... this for me seems to be a no-go right now, which is a real shame as I was so looking forward to play this on PC, as I don't have an Xbox.
  • Malek86 6 Oct 2017 12:58:24 6,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SYS64738 heh, don't take this the wrong way, but you really remind me of myself when I start looking for reasons to not buy certain games that could have interested me otherwise.

This usually happens whenever I'm on the fence and need to stop myself from making impulse purchases, so despite what you're sounding like, I'll take it that you are still undecided whether to bite or not ;)

Edited by Malek86 at 12:58:58 06-10-2017
  • JiveHound 6 Oct 2017 13:22:17 8,987 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The AI in 6 is laughable, especially since they draw attention to it with the drivatar bollocks.

Any change for 7? I went back to 6 for a bit last week and long beach is a farce.
  • ModoX 6 Oct 2017 14:16:29 2,925 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The AI is fucking awful. You just get used to rewinding a lot when you get battered in the rear quarter from out of nowhere. They don't make room for you, they seemingly have no knowledge that you exist at all.

Anyone who hasn't played F1 2017 I'd really recommend that as a circuit racer. Plays nice on any input device, and you can have really good, clean scraps with the AI.

The ISR review was a good one, I like that channel in general. They're sim focused but they don't take a snotty approach to simcades, they're judging it on its own merits.

All that said, this is a Forza game, it's better than 6 and if you want a Forza game then you can't really go wrong with this.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Oct 2017 14:22:00 30,783 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it's not perfect due to the dodgy AI, but it's easily the best Forza Motorsport you can get.
  • SYS64738 6 Oct 2017 16:07:25 4,868 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Malek86 Hehe. No worries, you're spot on.
  • SYS64738 6 Oct 2017 16:13:16 4,868 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ModoX wrote:

The ISR review was a good one, I like that channel in general. They're sim focused but they don't take a snotty approach to simcades, they're judging it on its own merits.

Yep, they've been my go-to crowd for driving games in general for a while now.

Tend to agree with whatever they said about the games I already own, and they come across as a professional, level-headed and genuine bunch, with detailed analysis of all the key features/issues I'd normally want to know about.
  • whatthefu 6 Oct 2017 17:30:10 1,023 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ModoX wrote:
    Anyone who hasn't played F1 2017 I'd really recommend that as a circuit racer. Plays nice on any input device, and you can have really good, clean scraps with the AI.
    I'm currently playing F1 2016. I find the AI at times just drives into you, especially in braking zones. Is it improved in 2017?
  • Captain_Toad 6 Oct 2017 17:30:43 389 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @SYS64738 Poor PC performance for them, but to balance it out a lot of people are running it well. Its a very optmised engine actuallly and a locked 60fps is doable on slightly older hardware.

I am not having any where near the issues I had with FH3 after launch, F7 is running smoothly and almost without hitch. Its not running perfect but its pretty close!

Also, just try the demo to see how it runs for you.

Edited by Captain_Toad at 17:44:40 06-10-2017
  • ModoX 6 Oct 2017 19:35:12 2,925 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @whatthefu yeah, there's not a great deal that has changed about it, but the AI is very good. In fact, there's an ISR video for that too...!

https://youtu.be/H1qi6Dhmk5k
  • SYS64738 6 Oct 2017 19:51:10 4,868 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Captain_Toad Yeah I did try the demo, that's why I'm very wary of reports of dodgy performance. During races it does run perfectly smooth *most* of the time (sometimes it stuttered horribly, just like ISR described in the video, it seems quite random), while there was consistent (and annoying) stutter in the menus, and at least 3 CTDs and hard freezes.
  • secombe 6 Oct 2017 22:03:15 1,453 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FM7 just clicked for me, it took about 8 hours, but it did it.

It was the Touring Car Cup in the second tier of the Forza Cup, Highly Skilled AI, Long Races and everything just fell into place. The final race at a misty Silverstone was just breathtaking, the rain beginning to fall towards the end and my lap times dropping off. The AI actually having liveries helped, it felt like a BTCC race.

Switching Drivatar Aggression OFF is such a drastic improvement it's hard to believe the option is so stupidly worded. They're still pretty rubbish if you get in really close, but the improvement is enough to make properly clean moves actually stick.

The Long Races also really make the game, I highly recommend switching it on.

The only downer is that it made me want a few proper sim options to really take it to the next level, wet tyres to switch to when it starts raining etc.
  • whatthefu 6 Oct 2017 22:35:54 1,023 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ModoX
    Great thanks
  • Captain_Toad 6 Oct 2017 23:43:30 389 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @SYS64738 Yes, I get the odd stutter too, but it is just an odd one. Nothing like FH3 when it released.

Demo races are pretty representative of the final game if you ask me (as I spent a bit of time on the demo before I bought it).
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.