I am 35 and I have my 1st ever driving lesson in the morning Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Ror 23 Jun 2017 23:33:44 16,573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HelloNo wrote:
    It's fine when you're learning, people give you a wide hearth. It's when you pass and get comfortable the problems start.
    Freudian slip? :D

And also, they don't give you wide berth in London! As soon as someone sees a learner they get irrationally angry and drive like a pillock. Most people assume learners are going to hold them up and immediately go from zero to cunt.

Err, not to worry you spindle :) I passed last year at 32 (though I had done some lessons in my mid-twenties). It might seem like a lot to take in at first, but it won't be long before it all becomes second nature. It's honestly a piece of piss.
  • Gaol 23 Jun 2017 23:41:49 3,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was late, 32 I think. I'm never out the thing now as my wife doesn't drive.

It's not too difficult and not worth sweating over. Advice I would give is take time to get the right drivers position, makes the world of difference on clutch control.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2017 23:48:17
    Decks wrote:
    I fucking love driving. I love it even more than I fucking hate public transport.
    On the flip side I fucking hate it. The roads are just full of idiotic ignorant dickheads. I got cut up the other day so chased them down, got them to pull over and I got out and battered them to death with a car jack.

Fuckin oaps shouldn't be driving.
  • neilka 24 Jun 2017 00:30:27 20,568 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cars will be driving themselves within the next year. Put the driving lesson money towards one of those instead.
  • captain-Minty 24 Jun 2017 01:08:02 5 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I did mine at 33... I really wish I'd done it earlier. I shit myself throughout my lessons. My instructor said I was a nervous driver, once I passed and kicked him out the nerves went away.

First lesson is hilarious, just go with it and do whatever he/she says. Trust me, they are more scared than you. Enjoy it and chill.
  • captain-Minty 24 Jun 2017 01:09:24 5 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    First lesson, you'll come away loving it and wanting more. It's like driving a really shit goalcart. :)
  • TheRealBadabing 24 Jun 2017 02:34:51 1,724 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Think of the donut. The donut is where your maximum attention is focused. It's a zone around you that you focus on for your safety.

At first you are all about how the controls work. What switch does what, what pedal makes fast, what pedal makes slow, what pedal...wtf is a clutch? That's your initial donut, your immediate vicinity.

Get over that and your donut starts to expand, initially to indicators and wipers. Then to road signs. Then to road sign a bit further away.

Eventually your donut will be extended outside your immediate panic zone, and that's when you start to learn how to drive.

Driving is all about understanding where your donut of attention should be. On a motorway it needs to be long range and all around. When parking it needs to be close in. Country lanes its all about that blind bend. A good driver knows where that attention should be focused, but it takes practice and good sense.

Get over the initial fear of the controls (close donut) and you will be fine. Older drivers are much more pragmatic about priorities so your donut will expand naturally once the nerves have passed.
  • hedben2013 24 Jun 2017 06:36:32 498 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    The instructor has their own brake pedal, you'll be fine :)
    They don't have an accelerator though. As I learned while turning right onto a dual carriageway very veeeeeery slowly into the path of a bus. Not my finest moment, I had great clutch control though.
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Jun 2017 06:58:49 12,983 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    HelloNo wrote:
    It's fine when you're learning, people give you a wide hearth. It's when you pass and get comfortable the problems start.
    Freudian slip? :D

And also, they don't give you wide berth in London! As soon as someone sees a learner they get irrationally angry and drive like a pillock. Most people assume learners are going to hold them up and immediately go from zero to cunt.

Err, not to worry you spindle :) I passed last year at 32 (though I had done some lessons in my mid-twenties). It might seem like a lot to take in at first, but it won't be long before it all becomes second nature. It's honestly a piece of piss.
    Can confirm.

One arsehole made a point of bibbing me to when I stopped at some lights during my test.

Instant fail.
  • Load_2.0 24 Jun 2017 07:24:42 25,773 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I gave my instructor a French Freddy in the carpark at Lidl and he passed me.
  • spindle9988 24 Jun 2017 08:02:01 4,596 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lesson is in an hour. I appreciate the comments but I'm still shitting myself.

Edited by spindle9988 at 08:02:14 24-06-2017
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 24 Jun 2017 08:32:50 10,944 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Stop being a pussy and just enjoy it.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Jun 2017 09:39:35 21,960 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Thanks guys. I am doing manual by the way. Providing I live I will post how it went tomorrow
    Good luck/Hope you enjoyed :)

I passed my test in nineteen eighty FECKIN nine!!! my god, can't be possible!
  • quadfather 24 Jun 2017 10:29:05 29,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And just what is wrong with driving an automatic BMW?
  • K-Project 24 Jun 2017 10:57:40 446 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice to see I'm not on my own. Had lessons when I was younger but never carried it through to the end and bailed. The missus decided she wanted to learn a year ago and is now nearing her test, so I've put my name on the waiting list ready to go too. I'm 44.

Khanivor wrote:
    Get an automatic
    Yep that's what we've done. Can't be doing with all that munting about with gears driving in the city, fucking stop/start all the time for lights. Let the kids have that. Driverless cars will soon be a thing anyway, so why not go automatic?
  • THFourteen 24 Jun 2017 11:02:32 46,182 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Anticipation is worse than the driving. You'll be loving it in minutes
    I've never really liked driving. The thought of all the other muppets on the road who could kill me always wins over.

Plus i'm always tired so driving motorways is scary shit
  • null 24 Jun 2017 11:02:53 581 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    don't embarrass yourself and try not to get in the way of people who learned to drive at a reasonable age
  • StanDarsh 24 Jun 2017 11:30:39 53 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    GoodForm wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    GoodForm wrote:
    Look and think ahead, and you'll be fine.
    I'm confused, was he meant to have his eyes closed the entire time?
    The most obvious advice is often the most useful advice. Also - the obvious isn't necessarily self-apparent to everyone.
    Mmm, deep.
    Mmmmm...bop!
  • Ror 24 Jun 2017 11:55:49 16,573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So how did it go?
  • Lotos8ter 24 Jun 2017 12:03:43 2,523 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    I fucking love driving. I love it even more than I fucking hate public transport.
    Never getting on a south London bus again is good motivation for me.
    Its great to have the choice and independence even if you decide not to own a car, you can always lease, PCP thing but you won't go back to public transport after.

My only advice is with the Instructor themselves. Like any teacher, some are better than others and its a personal choice. So if you're not feeling it, try another instructor - there's plenty out there.
  • Fab4 24 Jun 2017 12:05:32 8,169 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you are in any way spatially aware and can master a clutch wrt to it's 'biting point' then driving is relatively easy.
  • SpaceMonkey77 24 Jun 2017 12:08:07 992 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @spindle9988

Hey, you'll be okay. Deep breathes, calm yourself & focus.

I don't drive, but I know that taking a car into an empty field with a friend/family member may help you conquer the physical controls part first, especially manually & before lessons. Once you get over that part, as well as the theory later, you'd find it easier. Few people try this method these days though. Indeed, I could be wrong, so do your homework. I think more people would pass if they knew how to control a car well first, on differing surfaces, then master the road & being around others.

My advice: gamification. Take the controls of a car & learn them as you would a game mentally first. Note the process on paper & practice in your head as & before you get behind them in a car. This is how I learn a lot of things. Practice will make you perfect. What sometimes is a tragedy is those who sink coin into learning & never pass & complete. If a learner has confidence in their control of a vehicle & gradually spacial awareness, perhaps more might pass than fail. But as said, I do not know everything about everything.

Its worth learning to drive, though, but the thing is different people respond to different types of learning & most driving lessons are taught a certain way. It can also come down to what type of teacher you get, just like studying anything & college or school. I still want to do so as such can vastly boost a persons freedom on earth & just having another place to chill is a bonus. Good luck, fella.

Edited by SpaceMonkey77 at 12:40:08 24-06-2017

Edited by SpaceMonkey77 at 12:48:39 24-06-2017
  • mothercruncher 24 Jun 2017 12:19:38 14,092 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My examiner- on my bloody test- told me to get into the left most of three lanes at some traffic lights, a lane where you can only turn left.
    Then, just before the lights changed said "actually, it's time to start heading back- can you go straight on and turn right please".
    I had to make a quick decision and out accelerate (in a diesel fiesta) and cut across the other two lines of traffic to my right, then brake hard and wang it into the right hand turn about 100 yds up.
    I passed, but I think that was because he had to pretend he didn't ask me to do that ridiculous move. I was really pissed off driving back because I couldn't see how I'd pass still.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 24 Jun 2017 12:29:05 10,944 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You fool, that part was the test.
  • SpaceMonkey77 24 Jun 2017 12:47:00 992 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mothercruncher

It'll be interesting to see what happens with regards to learning, as cars & more become more automated. Will upcoming AI cars have an impact on people learning to drive? Guess we'll see in the next few years.
  • JiveHound 24 Jun 2017 12:54:46 8,943 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am also 35 and although I started driving lessons at 17 I failed two tests horrendously and cowered away since.

I have finally got myself a new provisional license this year and intend to take lessons again, I'm an agency chef at the moment and could really do with the range. I'm also in the process of setting up my own catering company so a van would probably be a good idea!

Good luck OP, maybe we'll trade insurance details one fine day?
  • DukeSilver 24 Jun 2017 13:02:19 2,411 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Anticipation is worse than the driving. You'll be loving it in minutes
    Like being on the receiving end of a massive dildo?
  • Ror 24 Jun 2017 13:05:14 16,573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is anyone else concerned that spindle hasn't reported back yet?
  • blobs 24 Jun 2017 13:09:14 543 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe he did a DeathRace 2000 on the instructor.
  • Trafford 24 Jun 2017 13:39:37 7,973 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SpaceMonkey77

I don't know about driving in a field, unless you want to fuck a friend's car or wind a farmer up!

Gamification is a good idea though. I think it makes me a good driver, being observant, not breaking rules etc.

I passed at 18 but never drove again until 29 when the prospect of breaking waters and a dash to the maternity ward appeared.
    Had a couple of motorway lessons and got back on it.
    Automatics for the comfortable win also ;-)
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.