Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Page 11

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Next
  • TenderChicken 10 Nov 2017 11:25:42 3,468 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm glad I'm not the only one getting killed a load - I thought it I was just shit! It's really enjoyable, but absolutely brutal at times. The lack of feedback is a real pain - i don't even realise I'm close to death most of the time.
  • SomaticSense 10 Nov 2017 12:52:52 15,093 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @SomaticSense well, makes sense when you think about it: if in the German version you aren't actually fighting nazis (because national laws and all that), then it's not a good idea to have something as specifically related as Jews and the holocaust either.
    But they clearly are the Nazis. No one would be fooled.

Only the showcasing of swastikas are outlawed in Germany, and even then it seems mostly only enforced in video games (not viewed as 'art' according to the outdated law). Discussion of Nazi Germany and the holocaust is not only allowed, but is taught in school (as it should be). Literally all they had to was replace the swastikas.

This is totally on Bethesda. If they released a game in Germany - clearly about Hitler's Nazis - which makes effort to retcon Jews and what happened to them, it's not a great look for them regardless of the motive.

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:02:27 10-11-2017
  • SomaticSense 10 Nov 2017 14:58:39 15,093 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did they bother balancing the diff levels at all?

I finally snapped during another dickish difficulty spike later in the game and lowered the diff to Can I Play Daddy (the lowest you can go) from the one above it. In one step down it's gone from controller smashingly frustrating, to being able stand in front of the two mini bosses with dual shotties and plug away - literally rooted to the spot - while my armour meter barely moves. I noticed hardly any difference between the two balls hard 'regular' modes above it, and here we have literal Toddler Mode one step down.

It's been the biggest disappointment of the year for me. Doom 2016 represented everything great about the old school shooter while bringing it bang up to date with the most fun raw FPS gameplay in years. This though feels like a 2005 shooter yanked through time into 2017, with badly designed difficulty spikes, awkward weapon selection, crap level design, awful stealth, and mostly boring environments. It'd even have the token bad checkpointing synonymous with that era if it wasn't for the ability to manually save, which I'm convinced was a late in development solution as some of the autosaves are horrendous.

Edited by SomaticSense at 15:05:32 10-11-2017
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 10 Nov 2017 15:18:18 47,197 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Are you guys playing on console? Because apart from the court room scene I found most of the game to be pretty easy. I died a few times early on but I'd figured out that the game wants you to never stop moving and shooting. Then as soon as I'd completely upgraded the assault rifle I was just tearing through pretty much everything.

I was wondering if that's just due to being able to whip BJ around with the mouse nice and quickly.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 15:18:52 10-11-2017
  • SomaticSense 10 Nov 2017 15:28:40 15,093 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quite possibly. I was struggling with aiming far more than usual and more than I remember in TNO. That might also play a part in my thoughts of it feeling like a 2005 era shooter.

I was at the end btw, that spike was the final encounter.

I wanted to like it so much. In fact I was ready to laud it as one of my GotY contenders after the first few missions, but I instead come away with 5/10 feelings. Great potential, let down by some really critical flaws.
  • the_dudefather 10 Nov 2017 15:36:33 10,466 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Difficulty's been mostly fine for me, but imagine the quick deaths being infuriating with the longer load times on console

It really feels like collecting armour and health makes little difference at times as it melts away so quickly. There's loads to pickup so you constantly have to zoom around topping it up during fights
  • Duffking 10 Nov 2017 16:12:06 14,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really hate the fact that weapon upgrades are collectible in this. It's cool to have the bits and pieces you can find if you like and everything, since they're optional. But having to scour the fucking environment to find them is such a pace killer. The map sometimes randomly stops highlighting collectibles as well, not that it highlights which ones are upgrades and which are pointless tat anyway.
  • Malek86 10 Nov 2017 16:52:35 6,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Malek86 wrote:
    @SomaticSense well, makes sense when you think about it: if in the German version you aren't actually fighting nazis (because national laws and all that), then it's not a good idea to have something as specifically related as Jews and the holocaust either.
    But they clearly are the Nazis. No one would be fooled.

Only the showcasing of swastikas are outlawed in Germany, and even then it seems mostly only enforced in video games (not viewed as 'art' according to the outdated law). Discussion of Nazi Germany and the holocaust is not only allowed, but is taught in school (as it should be). Literally all they had to was replace the swastikas.

This is totally on Bethesda. If they released a game in Germany - clearly about Hitler's Nazis - which makes effort to retcon Jews and what happened to them, it's not a great look for them regardless of the motive.
    I think it's kind of a difficult situation. Maybe only showing swastikas is outlawed, but iirc almost every game with nazis in it specifically goes out of their way to remove ALL nazi references in the German version.

So either there's something more to those laws, or publishers just don't wanna take any risks. Or maybe they just think people would find a game with nazis but no swastikas too difficult to believe, so they just circumvent the problem by removing nazis altogether.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:03:46 10-11-2017
  • grassyknoll 10 Nov 2017 20:06:54 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Like many people here I can't help but feel very disappointed. It looks and feels fantastic to play and done great level design, but there's some real issues: So many difficulty spikes and the lack of feedback when shot / hit really drag the game down, I honestly just feel I get through encounters by luck. The recent update losing my checkpoint save made things even worst. Probably my second biggest disappointment of the year with The Evil Within 2 ("disappointment" doesn't mean bad by the way, just didn't meet my expectations).

Edited by grassyknoll at 20:07:14 10-11-2017
  • Mark1412 10 Nov 2017 20:41:20 1,155 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't remember why, but for the first four or five hours I thought this was fantastic. But it's really not. I assume I'm near the end, having just got back from Venus which was a bland, pointless hour in terms of the story and level design, with an amusing beginning. I'm beyond bored of the guns, the stealth is broken, the feedback is awful, the levels have all merged into one grey shitblob in my mind with the only standout a 5 minute barely interactive walk, I don't think I've seen a new enemy since the 4th or 5th level and the loading times are pretty bad. In fact, all the best/memorable parts don't involve shooting.

I definitely enjoyed this for 5 hours or so but I can't remember why.
  • grassyknoll 10 Nov 2017 22:00:35 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mark1412 I forgot to mention stealth, it just doesn't work and a lot of levels are not designed for it. I've really enjoyed my time with it but just can't face going back to it due to difficulty. I think a few more months of playtesting could have made this such a strong game. It's not helped playing this back to back with The New Order / Old Blood, which are just so good.
  • Awimbawe 10 Nov 2017 22:53:40 591 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was under the impression that this was universally loved by all so it's good to see others annoyed by some of the it's weird flaws. Maybe the recent Doom set the bar too high for my expectation of a single player FPS but running down a corridor clicking a button trying to hoover up health/ammo/armour really seems like busywork, there's seldom a time where I think "I'll probably have enough armour to scrape through".
  • SomaticSense 11 Nov 2017 18:13:00 15,093 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mark1412 wrote:
    I can't remember why, but for the first four or five hours I thought this was fantastic. But it's really not. I assume I'm near the end, having just got back from Venus which was a bland, pointless hour in terms of the story and level design, with an amusing beginning. I'm beyond bored of the guns, the stealth is broken, the feedback is awful, the levels have all merged into one grey shitblob in my mind with the only standout a 5 minute barely interactive walk, I don't think I've seen a new enemy since the 4th or 5th level and the loading times are pretty bad. In fact, all the best/memorable parts don't involve shooting.

I definitely enjoyed this for 5 hours or so but I can't remember why.
    These are pretty much my exact thoughts on it.

I bloody loved it at first, but what seem like small niggles at first end up rotting the whole experience.
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Nov 2017 09:03:38 6,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just wanted to chime and and say holy shit this game is good. Been off FPS's for a long time but it definitely helps that this game is dripping with atmosphere, humor and character. Not to mention how good the shooting feels.

I played the first but only got 3-4 hours in. Left it for a while and just ended up watching the cutscenes in favor of this.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 09:05:21 13-11-2017
  • the_milkybar_kid 15 Nov 2017 23:09:54 6,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh my days I just got to Jupiter.. Just when you think this game couldn't surprise you any more, it dials the insanity up to 'fuck you'. I love it. Going to have to think about getting the collectors edition now. Bravo, Bethesda.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 16 Nov 2017 05:00:37 6,394 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid

Pretty sure it's Venus, not Jupiter.
  • the_milkybar_kid 16 Nov 2017 07:44:19 6,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Furtive_Pygmy Ah, you're right.

Did people fall off this pretty hard? Went back a few pages and there's barely a my talk of the story or people enjoying it.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 07:46:18 16-11-2017
  • JamboWayOh 16 Nov 2017 11:04:19 3,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I enjoyed it immensely. Despite what others have said, I do not think it's a leftist's wet dream.
  • the_milkybar_kid 16 Nov 2017 11:07:01 6,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm in no way left (I'm not a Nazi either, btw) and I think it's bloody great.
  • the_dudefather 16 Nov 2017 11:11:15 10,466 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really enjoyed it too, but the issues on PC for me was bit of a pain

Cooled a little bit about half way through, but some of the story bits were pretty nuts later in

Oddly I had problems with the very last bit I literally got stuck trying to get around the TV studio, couldn't squeeze through the gaps under the seats, felt like I was going nuts as there was clearly only one way to go, but kept getting blocked
  • CellarDoor81 16 Nov 2017 11:37:45 9 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 week ago
    I really like it too but the reason I stopped playing are the ventilation sounds of my ps4 pro when playing this.
    Does anybody have the same problem? It gets loud - much louder than any other game.
    Other games with 4k/HDR make the vents loud too, but not THAT loud and it gets quieter while playing. But with Wolfenstein 2... I'm afraid my ps4 will explode if I keep playing. But it's only in gameplay, the vents stop completely when a cutscene plays.
  • THFourteen 16 Nov 2017 14:12:54 46,236 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    @Furtive_Pygmy Ah, you're right.

Did people fall off this pretty hard? Went back a few pages and there's barely a my talk of the story or people enjoying it.
    Well it's already been discounted, tells its own story IMO
  • j66 17 Nov 2017 19:03:23 5,989 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good luck trying to play this after the patch if you were in Roswell and all your saves are in Roswell. I was & mine are. /ho hum etc

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/130413/error-str_online_connection_error_03/2
  • spamdangled 21 Nov 2017 22:29:27 30,982 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Startd playing this yesterday
    About to head into roswell.

When do I unlock the enigma machine?
  • FatsoJetson 22 Nov 2017 00:14:39 348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @spamdangled After Roswell, when you get back to the sub.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.