UK General Election 2017: Scumbags vs. Clowns Page 108

• Page

of 302 First / Last

• challenge_hanukkah 19 May 2017 07:43:06 5,212 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Apart from Nuttall, all did ok tonight.
    Importantly, they all came across as reasonably decent people that do give a shit about the less fortunate but idiot Britain is going to vote in the fucking Tories and their evil fucking manifesto and Brexit incompetence.
    https://twitter.com/AngrySalmond/status/865293109541953536
  • GoatApocalypse 19 May 2017 07:56:49 3,093 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Tories are coming for your house, your pension, your income, your children's lunch and your foxes.

Corporation tax cut and fewer foreigners tho

Edited by GoatApocalypse at 07:57:12 19-05-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 May 2017 08:25:08 4,633 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looks like May's nasty party speech had a different lesson to what everyone thought at the time
  • Armoured_Bear 19 May 2017 08:43:42 20,434 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Apart from Nuttall, all did ok tonight.
    Importantly, they all came across as reasonably decent people that do give a shit about the less fortunate but idiot Britain is going to vote in the fucking Tories and their evil fucking manifesto and Brexit incompetence.
    https://twitter.com/AngrySalmond/status/865293109541953536
    Hehe, yeah, some of the faces she pulled at Nuttall were quite amusing.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 May 2017 08:47:11 20,434 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Intergalactic_Threat wrote:
    Corbyn made a massive misjudgement in not participating in debates.
    I'm not sure he did, the others would have got stuck into him. I can see why he didn't do it without May.
    It is a disgrace that she won't do it, complete lack of respect for the public.
  • chopsen 19 May 2017 09:09:37 19,936 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    This ITV leaders debate is telling me one main thing. The left parties need to get over themselves and work together.

I'd love Nicola Sturgeon to be PM of the UK, but that will never happen.

I am quite happy with the majority labour's, lib dems', green's and snp's polices. They disagree in few places and have very similar solutions for many of the ills created by the Tory government. But whilst they are so fractured I have little hope...

Reminds me of lyrics by Frank Turner "idiot fucking hypies fighting in 50 different factions".
    I'm sure I've quoted that lyric here before.

There are significant difference between LD and Labour. Ideologically the latter is more authoritarian and interventional (as are the tories increasingly) and LD are more socially liberal.

There's overlap all over the place (apart from LD and Tories, interestingly given the previous coalition govt), including between Tory and Labour. Just because a party is not the conservatives does not mean they're interchangeable. The idea of a progressive alliance is a bit of a myth.
  • Deleted user 19 May 2017 09:41:04
    Fuck knows what the Liberal democrats even stand for nowadays, except for seeking power at any cost and trying to entice remain voters. Their manifesto did look really limp compared to Labours.
  • FWB 19 May 2017 09:45:05 54,013 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I do and I don't have sympathy for the elderly getting hit in this Tory raid.

They take a big responsibility for the housing crisis and hoarding assets. They also voted for leave: to make us poorer and to stick two fingers up at the workers who look after them. All this while it is the youth that will have to pay for their care. They have little concern for the younger generations. In some respects, fuck em. It's not nice, but they have brought this upon themselves and they will do so doubly so when they vote for the Tories.

Edited by FWB at 09:46:21 19-05-2017
  • Deleted user 19 May 2017 09:54:33
    Also any group, apart from the seriously loaded, who thinks they're safe from the tories, is very deluded.

Edited by ViperDrive at 09:54:56 19-05-2017
  • thelzdking 19 May 2017 10:00:06 6,347 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I do and I don't have sympathy for the elderly getting hit in this Tory raid.

They take a big responsibility for the housing crisis and hoarding assets. They also voted for leave: to make us poorer and to stick two fingers up at the workers who look after them. All this while it is the youth that will have to pay for their care. They have little concern for the younger generations. In some respects, fuck em. It's not nice, but they have brought this upon themselves and they will do so doubly so when they vote for the Tories.
    +1

Whether they meant to or not, they have fucked the county for the younger half of the population, and increasingly it looks as though they either don't realise, or don't care enough to do anything about it.
  • Dougs 19 May 2017 10:07:12 83,725 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oooh, a ladder
  • senso-ji 19 May 2017 10:24:04 8,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FWB

While I agree with your sentiment, I can't help but think that the younger generation are at least partly responsible for it. Political apathy, especially among Millennials (I include myself in that bracket) is really low; we've effectively sleepwalked into this problem.
  • Frogofdoom 19 May 2017 10:27:55 6,103 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its ok, there is plenty of punishment to go round.
  • FWB 19 May 2017 10:41:48 54,013 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    @FWB

While I agree with your sentiment, I can't help but think that the younger generation are at least partly responsible for it. Political apathy, especially among Millennials (I include myself in that bracket) is really low; we've effectively sleepwalked into this problem.
    Oh yeah, they certainly take responsibility for that. All it takes for cunts to triumph is for good wo/men to do nothing.
  • thelzdking 19 May 2017 10:47:08 6,347 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    @FWB

There's a truth to that, but it's also true that Tories and Labour have concentrated on older voters, and the electoral system freezes out parties that younger people often want to vote for. It seems like a bit of vicious circle to me.
  • thelzdking 19 May 2017 10:52:27 6,347 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But yeah, apathetic younger voters should get off their arses. In the same way that the Left should just stop its pathetic bickering.
  • DakeyrasUK 19 May 2017 10:54:11 1,177 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @chopsen i dont see them (lib dem, labour, green, snp etc) as interchangeable but they were all competing for the same voters last night.

Tories are competing with ukip who are all but over.

The left need to realise that they differ on small issues on the whole, like how best to link health and social care or how to support teachers in delivering an education to the future work force.

Sure, on the eu membership there is a big division (between labour and the rest), but only because they are choosing to divide support based on whether to honour the referendum or to keep the debate open.

But as long as we have first past the post Tories will stay in government with the left divided.

What i'd have them do is unite under one banner gor the provision of electoral reform and then they can split and be elected (6 months or so later) under proportional representation. That would really stick to the tories!
  • FWB 19 May 2017 10:56:12 54,013 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Left will never stop bickering... ever. It's what the left does. Look throughout history. The left in German could have smited the right pre-WW2, but it wouldn't stop in-fighting.

It's pathetic seeing them refusing to work together to stop this country being driven off a cliff.
  • oceanmotion 19 May 2017 11:10:15 17,259 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sir Michael Fallon is challenged on the Conservative manifesto - BBC Newsnight

• whatfruitlivesagain 19 May 2017 11:14:57 525 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I say we offer all the elderly with acute illness who can't pay for their care free trips to Disneyland followed by Dignitas.
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2017 11:21:00 16,326 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Left has an ideological purity problem.

Which is not to say that elements of the Right do not have these problems. But at least recently they seem to have been better at putting those problems aside to form coalitions and such.
  • chopsen 19 May 2017 11:39:48 19,936 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    The left need to realise that they differ on small issues on the whole, like how best to link health and social care or how to support teachers in delivering an education to the future work force.
    That's the thing though. They are not "small issues on the whole" for the people who care about them. They might be for them, but they aren't for the people who care about them.

Many labour supporters are anti-EU and the PLP are supporting a "hard" Brexit (out of common market and out of customs union). LD aren't.

Labour are economically protectionist historically, LD strongly aren't.

Labour strongly agrees with authoritarianism. LD strongly don't.

Also, PR isn't some magic bullet that would eradicate the tories. They currently have >40% of the popular vote.

LD could compromise and go along with labour, but then there would be absolutely no national party to represent people who are opposed to "hard Brexit" and anti-authoritarianism. Labour could compromise with LD, but why the fuck would they?

Edited by chopsen at 11:40:03 19-05-2017

Edited by chopsen at 11:40:42 19-05-2017
  • Gl3n Moderator 19 May 2017 12:27:12 6,598 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Living in Utopian Sussex, the rebel alliance have united to try to push the empire out.

LD's have pulled out of Brighton Pavilion to shore up the Greens, the Greens have pulled out of Lewes to help LD against the Tories. Labour are pushing Brighton Kemptown and have all but pulled out of Pavilion also.

Hove (my constituency) are very close between Labour and Tories. The way the rest of the country is going I'm assuming that the tories will win out.
  • reviewer 19 May 2017 13:13:20 4,737 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's weird, as I get older I'm becoming more liberal which seems to run against the norm given the general voting patterns.

Financially voting conservative is best for me but I actually would be happy to pay more tax if it's invested in the country. With us leaving the EU underinvestment is the last thing we need.
  • Deleted user 19 May 2017 13:19:17
    reviewer wrote:
    With us leaving the EU underinvestment is the last thing we need.
    Are you joking? An extra 350 MILLION a week for us! We're going to have solid gold pimpmobile ambulances with better looking crews, every farmer is going to be so rich with subsidies their herd will be cruising 'round in Rolls Royces, all benefit claimants will be given electric Jags and a few grand a week by mummy May for "pocket money".

It'll be a golden age.
  • thelzdking 19 May 2017 13:26:40 6,347 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Solid gold suicide vests for terrorists.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 May 2017 13:39:04 10,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    http://newsthump.com/2017/05/19/scientologist-condemns-tory-supporters-as-a-bit-creepy-and-gullible/
  • Deleted user 19 May 2017 13:47:07
    thelzdking wrote:
    Solid gold suicide vests for terrorists.
    ..and a new bunker in rural Shropshire with 10 foot thick concrete walls where they can blow themselves up and meet their weirdy beardy god whilst the rest of us are outside drinking Pimms.
  • mothercruncher 19 May 2017 13:56:49 14,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Loughborough University study into press balance/coverage. 4/5's are more positive about the Tories.
    We knew this, obviously. But, fuck me, The Daily Express.
  • Page

of 302 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.