Has Been Heroes Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• BigOrkWaaagh 4 Apr 2017 20:05:56 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good work! It took me about 20 runs to beat the second boss :)
  • rice_sandwich 4 Apr 2017 22:34:26 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Reached the second boss (pirate ghost) but lost after a long battle. I had a brilliant run with a couple of really useful spells and got into some good combos. It was flowing well and lots of fun. I reckon if you go wrong after a certain point in a level it's very hard to recover. I think a reason why it had bad reviews is that reviwers treated it as an action game. It's almost a pure puzzler with little room for error. If you make more than a couple of mistakes on boss levels you're screwed. Put in about 5 hours today (day off) and I'd call it a good 8/10 game.
  • AaronTurner 4 Apr 2017 23:06:08 9,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The control scheme is complete and utter dog shit.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Apr 2017 23:13:42 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't like the travel map controls but the in game controls are ideal imo.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 4 Apr 2017 23:13:56 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    The control scheme is complete and utter dog shit.
    Untrue. It does feel fiddly at first but it makes complete sense. I don't know how else they would have done it.
  • rice_sandwich 5 Apr 2017 09:31:04 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    25 runs in and I've yet to beat the second boss. It looks like the difficulty of even the first battle scales up once you unlock different enemies. I had a very tough battle on the first level due to facing a couple of healer skeletons. The day 1 patch hasn't come to the Switch yet. I'm still getting the -25% damage modifier instead of -10%.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 5 Apr 2017 09:35:50 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Healer skeletons aren't so bad if you prioritise them, they die in one hit from the knight after you knock their stamina off.

What's all this about a patch and damage modifiers?

Glad to see you're enjoying it though, well I presume you are if you've stuck with it for 25 runs!

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 09:36:31 05-04-2017
  • rice_sandwich 5 Apr 2017 09:50:00 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The patch notes are:

Gameplay: Hitting over enemy Stamina now has a damage penalty of -10% instead of -25%
    Gameplay: Skeleton Leader, who speeds up nearby enemies, now always walks into the battle, never spawns in the middle
    Gameplay: Red-bandana “Boxer” Skeleton Boss health now 1450 (was 1825)
    Gameplay: Heroes’ lane backstab damage increase
    Gameplay: Changes and fixes to Summon Boar spell
    User interface: Helpful popup screen at the start of the game to explain Stamina

Very much an under rated game imo. I guess we're the only two playing it ☺

I didnt really like Plants v Zombies 2 due to the free to play aspect. I reckon this is a good replacement. I better not show my wife this or I'll never get to play. She loves these types of game.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 5 Apr 2017 09:59:58 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    User interface: Helpful popup screen at the start of the game to explain Stamina
    Why this had to be patched in is beyond me!
  • rice_sandwich 5 Apr 2017 10:11:10 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    To be fair the tutorial isn't the best. And it's really critical that you understand it well in order to be able to play the game properly.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 5 Apr 2017 10:17:06 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Absolutely, that's what I mean, it should have been in the initial release, it is literally the framework for the entire game.
  • rice_sandwich 5 Apr 2017 10:25:45 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ah, right, I thought you meant it was so obvious that it didn't need to be explained. I still can't beat the purple hat boss on the first region. Gonna have to improve my approach against him. It's great how you can attack, knock an enemy into the air, then switch your attacker to hit the enemy behind them. And the backstabbing on returning a hero to another lane helps a little too. The system seems simple but has a lot of hidden depth with regards to how you sequence attacks and switch lanes. I'm still discovering new puzzle solving techniques.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 5 Apr 2017 10:35:32 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You may know this already, but a little trick that I didn't pick up until quite a bit of play, but which has helped me massively, is that you can switch your heroes round however you want. It doesn't just have to be switch your active hero with another, then attack, then switch that hero and so on. You can keep switching the active hero around as much as you like until you get your heroes arranged exactly how you need for the next assault.
  • rice_sandwich 5 Apr 2017 10:53:25 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I picked up on that already. It can be tricky to do it depending on who's ready to attack. I can definitely improve in my switching and attacking. I noticed that sometimes doing what appears to be the best move isn't always a good idea. It pays to think ahead to the next couple of enemies. Some can block and dodge which mixes things up as well.
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Apr 2017 18:35:39 38,872 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I bought this the other day, or rather, I swapped an old game of mine for a physical copy at GameStop without any surcharge, so it basically cost me nothing.

Totally torn - the core gameplay mechanics are absolutely fantastic, a mix between Plants vs Zombies and a little bit of Darkest Dungeon, and it has that "one more go" quality that only classics like Tetris and Lumines have.

But, the core gameplay is trapped in a way too difficult, way too random, too punishing and unfair shell. The game desperately needs a better sense of progress, and a few compromises - let me pick a couple of unlocked spells for a new game, make the RNG so that the "healing stations" don't appear quite so randomly. Don't always make me feel like the good stuff gets lost between battles, while all the bad stuff stays.

This could have been an instant classic, but at the moment it's just too tough for it's own sake. I often can't beat the first boss, and haven't even seen the second area boss yet after a few hours.

It would be an ideal game to play casually and to relax, but if you don't fully concentrate all the time, you have absolutely no chance.

Imagine 90% of the Tetris blocks were "Z"s, and the game would start at the highest speed every time. That's a little how this feels.

Really hope they patch a better game around the great core. They could easily leave the "hardcore" mode for people who prefer it that way, and make additional modes.

Edited by UncleLou at 18:39:44 06-04-2017
  • rice_sandwich 6 Apr 2017 18:53:33 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @UncleLou

All fair and reasonable observations. You have to pay attention all the time - there's very little room for error at all. I found it took me about 5 or 6 hours before I was able to beat the first region's battles fairly easily (without extra spells). At a certain point the game just clicked and I slipped into understanding the core mechanics really well and being able to plan out moves and realise what would happen next. Still haven't beat the 2nd boss yet.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 6 Apr 2017 21:22:16 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @UncleLou If you stick with it, it will eventually click and you'll get to the point where you can rinse the main battles with 20+ seconds left on the clock and without anything ever hitting you, so you don't even need the healing stations anymore. Having said that I'm on the third tier now and things have got pretty tough again, I'm not sure if it's because I'm using different heroes now though.
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Apr 2017 21:38:19 38,872 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah that's entirely possible, but I kind of doubt that it's a game I'll play for hours on end. It's the typical game I'd like to play if I have 20 minutes to spare, but it lacks the variety of, say, Darkest Dungeon, or Enter the Gungeon, but demands just as much dedication. I doubt short bursts will cut it. :)

Edited by UncleLou at 21:38:46 06-04-2017
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Apr 2017 20:37:41 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hey, uhh... both of you. Patch is now live!
  • rice_sandwich 7 Apr 2017 21:12:47 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    :D
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Apr 2017 21:26:23 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found my last run much easier. Still didn't win, but the regular battles were easier. I was back to running through them with 20s left, where before I had been getting overwhelmed more regularly, I only fell to a boss I hadn't encountered before. Not sure how much is down to the patch and how much is down to me switching back to the knight though as I found the Luchador was a good tank but didn't hit as hard as the knight, so previously enemies I'd be killing in 1 hit would have a smidge of health left and thus stay in the mix.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Apr 2017 21:36:36 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.
  • Ghibli 7 Apr 2017 22:42:03 245 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have this on Switch. Something about the reviews suggested to me it was more that it was too hard for the reviewers rather than simply being a bad game. I'm loving it but still stuck on the first boss after several hours of play.

Frustratingly I've had him down to a pixel of health several times. Don't think the controls are that bad tbh. It takes some adjusting but they make sense when you understand the core mechanics.

Is there any info on the patch? I couldn't find any when it landed this afternoon.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Apr 2017 22:48:44 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Ghibli Scroll up! :)
  • Ghibli 8 Apr 2017 01:28:38 245 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah, Cheers. I thought for some reason that was for a previous patch. Hopefully something in there will get me past that first arsing boss then ;)
  • rice_sandwich 8 Apr 2017 06:20:21 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ghibli

Was it the butterfly boss or the other one? I can beat the butterfly boss no problem but the other one is hard.
  • rice_sandwich 8 Apr 2017 08:46:25 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Seems easier since the patch due to the -10% damage modifier for over hitting instead of -25%.
  • Ghibli 8 Apr 2017 16:08:03 245 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Neither of them were treating me nicely ;)

I'll give it a go in a wee while to see if the patch has helped. Graceful Explosion Machine had been occupying a lot of my time today though :)
  • neems 9 Apr 2017 13:19:51 3,557 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Managed to beat level 1on my first go, probably because I picked up Vortex early on which picks up every enemy on screen and dumps them at the back. Seems fun so far.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 Apr 2017 13:42:54 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah vortex is crazy good, especially paired with fireball or any AoE spell for that matter.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.