Has Been Heroes Page 6

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• neems 17 Apr 2017 16:10:33 3,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had originally thought it was an item, but it turns out the Luchador instantly recharges his melee cooldown every time he casts a spell. So obviously I immediately stacked him with every spell I could find plus recharge items.

I've pretty much just been using the other 2 to set up the big hits.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Apr 2017 20:07:04 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Reached the pirate boss on stage 3 for the first time but was defeated. I thought I had a great build (two characters with a high chance of lightning) but that didn't really help too much. Good to see that the game keeps pace with players powers by throwing in ever increasingly nasty enemies as for a second I thought I was overpowered 😀
  • DangerousDave_87 17 Apr 2017 22:48:38 2,713 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thanks to a very generous donation from a friendly forumite, I'm now tucking into this game! Well, I'm actually watching the miss play it so I can better understand how the game works before grasping the controls.

It seems that stunning enemies is the key mechanic in this game, am I right? That and timing moves to free up lanes, rather than attacking as soon as you can?

Either way, I'm very much on board. I'm just waiting for a day off work so I can sink some time into it without feeling too tired!
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Apr 2017 23:48:06 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 Yes, absolutely. The green squares next to wn enemy's HP bar ar its stamina. You knock them down to zero by attacking and they get stunned. The next attack goes direct to HP. The amount of times an enemy attacks are listed by the character. x1 for warrior, x2 for wizard, x3 for rogue.
  • DangerousDave_87 17 Apr 2017 23:56:27 2,713 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Well, I got to see the first boss, but we could only shave off half is health before being swarmed by the undead. We've not been using spells too often at the minute. We're still getting used to the basic controls.

Our second run was ended very early on by what appeared to be ghosts (I think). They suddenly made things very hard and cut our game very short.

Still, it's left me hungry for more. The game's general set-up wreaks of Spelunky and I love that. I can see each failure having its own rewards, beyond an ever growing knowledge of how to play the game. Attempt number 3 will have to wait until tomorrow, though.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 23:58:46 17-04-2017
  • rice_sandwich 18 Apr 2017 06:19:08 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

As a general rule you want to be using spells as soon as they are available as they refresh fairly quickly. Also bear in mind that when a character hits you can reorganise everyone to whichever lane is required.You may need to juggle around a bit but it's key to get the right characters in the right positions. And keep an eye on who's going to refresh first when things get tricky.

Pause a lot, don't play it as a real time action game.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Apr 2017 23:07:27 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man, I actually made it to what I assume is the final boss, I got a cinematic and everything, it took bloody ages, and I died ;_;

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 06:11:01 22-04-2017
  • RageBoy 24 Apr 2017 20:56:14 395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bought a physical copy of this last week for 25...mainly from the positivity of BigOrk in the main Switch thread.

Played it for the first time on Thursday, completely hooked by Saturday. I don't know if it because of the patch, reading this thread or just I'm really good at games 😬😬 but I finished my first run on my second attempt - and I only failed the first because I got distracted and forgot to pause and one of those ghost dudes touched me for insta-death.

Finished my second run this afternoon and am about to face the final boss of my third run - I'm fairly confident, I have a good range of spells and one of those kick ass skulls (a lightning one). And, I was just really lucky and hit a stamina camp just before the boss - all my characters had zero stamina (so lucky but I'd done well to manage them for so long without any stamina).

Reading some of the critics reviews and the complaints are a bit weak - the controls work fine, yeah it can be fiddly but being able to pause negates that. And it is difficult, but not overwhelmingly so for me, and coming from many runs of FTL, the perils of RNG are no different - there's many times in FTL where I've been down to one crew member by the second star map.

The only valid criticism for me is the lack of variation in the enemies - I'll be happy if I never see another skeleton. I still don't know the difference between most of them - I can recognise the spell casters at least. A good tip for them is to keep a projectile spell ready - it will disrupt any spell they are about to cast.

Even on run 3 not finding the battles too tough - usually finishing them with 15-30 seconds to spare.

What an unexpected gem, and exactly the type of game I probably would have passed over on the PS4 / living room consoles.
  • RageBoy 24 Apr 2017 22:17:48 395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    3rd run completed - made it more difficult by accidentally casting a spell against my own character and draining his stamina - thankfully kept the bosses minions at bay.

Had a useful protect spell that regenerated my HP - handy when I was set on fire.

The screen can get a little cluttered sometimes.

Okay, maybe I'll do one path on run 4 before I go to bed...
  • Ghibli 24 Apr 2017 23:16:45 242 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RageBoy Noooooooo. Don't! You'll be up til 3am. I speak from experience. ;)

I actually looked at my switch just now and thought *nah... I can't afford another 4 hour sleep stint". I bought it thinking it'd be great for the odd half hour late at night. I was so wrong. It's like crack.
  • rice_sandwich 25 Apr 2017 06:22:02 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Argh! I can't believe we have another person who beat it on their second go! I'm putting it down to starting after the devs changed the overhit modifier from -25% to 10%. Still, at least I can say no game beats me 43 times in a row 😃

I haven't touched the Switch for a few days due to Puyo Puyo and MK coming this weekend.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 08:47:13 25-04-2017
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Apr 2017 08:37:09 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Frozenbyte should pay me a wage.
  • rice_sandwich 25 Apr 2017 08:47:55 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

How long are runs taking you? I'm in for at least 30 minutes per game.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Apr 2017 08:55:08 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @rice_sandwich About an hour and a half to two hours at the moment! I try and get myself to every node on the map. I find that if I have to stop and come back to the game later I invariably die very soon after I pick it back up again :(
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Apr 2017 08:57:21 38,793 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I haven't played this since I made it to the final boss in the second tier a couple of times. I still really like the mechanics, but there's something tiring about the game. Just thinking about playing it again makes me feel exhausted. :p
  • rice_sandwich 25 Apr 2017 09:01:57 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @UncleLou

Did you find that the game got a lot easier in many ways once you beat the second boss? It's as if it's a limited tutorial mode and the proper game begins once you get the first win. I prefer playing through to the end of a region in one go, if possible.
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Apr 2017 09:07:40 38,793 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I did find it got a bit easier, yes, but even at the second tier, it now takes ages to reach the final boss.

I still think, as I said a few weeks ago, that the mechanics are great, but somehow they built a game around them that doesn't fit them.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Apr 2017 21:49:51 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got to the final boss a second time and lost again. He has either an insanely powerful attack or a game breaking bug that needs fixing, I'm not sure which. I'm hoping for the latter.

He's a wind boss, and every now and then blows you back past the edge of the battlefield. If you are unfortunate enough to be soaked at this point you will end up frozen off the edge of the screen and can do nothing at all but wait a realllly long time to get unfrozen, or wait to get attacked. This happened to me with two characters at the same time and made the fight basically impossible because you can't even cast spells while frozen :/
  • rice_sandwich 26 Apr 2017 06:16:54 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

I think you need a bit of luck from the RNG gods when it comes to bosses. Having the 'wrong' powers can make things very tough.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 06:17:01 26-04-2017
  • RageBoy 26 Apr 2017 10:14:00 395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Completed the 4th boss last night - was extremely powerful towards the end, had a combination of spells that allowed me to completly control the battlefield - often I was waiting for new skeletons to come on screen as I clearing waves so quickly. The final boss ice boss was the easiest so far, none of his minions even crossed the half way line.

Got about 2/3's of the way through my 5th run as well - I have some good items but I'm considerably worse off when it comes to spells on this run - which is great as it's forced me to completely alter my tactics. I'm relying much more on melee and I'm having to carefully plan my stun spells. The last end of zone boss was the dude who spawns a load of zombies - very nearly got overwhelmed at the end - my rogue was holding off about 6 zombies on the top line, at the last second, I used a water portal spell to make the boss appear right in front of my barbarian, quadrupled his attack amount and just did enough to kill him.

2 zones left now, hoping to get a few more spellls to make the final boss a little easier.

My stats currently read 12 games, 5 wins and 6 loses - hoping to get the wins equal to my losses if I beat this 5th run.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 26 Apr 2017 10:29:28 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RageBoy wrote:My stats currently read 12 games, 5 wins and 6 loses - hoping to get the wins equal to my losses if I beat this 5th run.
    These post-patchers!
  • rice_sandwich 26 Apr 2017 10:34:21 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    RageBoy wrote:My stats currently read 12 games, 5 wins and 6 loses - hoping to get the wins equal to my losses if I beat this 5th run.
    These post-patchers!
    WTF! How is that even possible! Rageboy must be super lucky and/or I must be really bad at the game!
  • BigOrkWaaagh 26 Apr 2017 10:42:10 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I'm somewhere between 55 and 60 games with 5 victories. 40-odd hours.
  • RageBoy 26 Apr 2017 12:55:56 395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ha, well I don't usually have any luck when it comes to RNG - I remember getting a damn cape in Destiny when everyone else got fancy guns and armour.

I dunno, I just seemed to pick up on the mechanics of this really quickly. What did the patch change other than the -25% to -10% combat modifyer? I can see how that would make a difference - I do use the rogue sometimes to mop up enemies with one stamina and low health but then that would still work even with a -25% penalty. As an aside, I used my rogue to do a 24 times attack last night by stacking his starting spell - that was pretty epic to watch.

I DO have the cartridge version of the game - maybe they put an easy mode on that!
  • BigOrkWaaagh 26 Apr 2017 13:11:23 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I believe they actually explain the game post-patch!
  • RageBoy 26 Apr 2017 13:16:48 395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    I believe they actually explain the game post-patch!
    Ha true, although I got most of pre-game tips from this thread so really this is all your fault :)
  • BigOrkWaaagh 27 Apr 2017 13:13:21 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One of the later bosses casts charm on your guys, causing them to hurt the rest of the team. Most unsportsmanlike.

In the run I just did my Dwarf kept catching fire, and I had to cast water on him to put him out, which killed him. This was on the penultimate boss. I think that stings more than any other loss ;_;

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 13:15:17 27-04-2017
  • RageBoy 27 Apr 2017 14:32:19 395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just got defeated by the penultimate boss, it was a two stage fight with two bosses in each. I dealt with the first two easily enough but the next two were immune to all elements, were fast, had very high stamina, could teleport two thirds of the way across the screen, could freeze the entire party every 30 seconds AND self heal.

Got one of them down to about half health but there's no way I was going to win.

First time I've felt the game has been completly unfair.

Edited by RageBoy at 14:32:45 27-04-2017
  • Carlo 27 Apr 2017 14:34:38 19,867 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone know where a brit can get a physical copy of this in a rush?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 27 Apr 2017 14:53:14 6,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Carlo gamestop.ie
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.