Destiny 2 - read first post for clan info Page 101

• Page

of 103 First / Last

• GarlVinland 22 Jan 2018 18:12:37 2,652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I feel like a right idiot. This entire time, I've been wondering why the Curtain Call rocket launcher wasn't dropping for me. If I'd bothered to check, turns out you can only get it from Zavala (if the damn gunsmith doesn't give you one, which he hasn't). But Strikes being so much worse in D2, I never bothered playing them. Better get to grinding.

I reckon the best we can hope for for most of the year is that D2 gets back to being as close as possible to D1. They've already started reintroducing exotics and they've confirmed features like (better) exotic quests are also coming back, plus Masterworks for weapons and armour are headed in that direction too. It's stupid that we're essentially paying the developers to rebuild the first game in a live environment, but honestly, if they just got it back to that level but with the conveniences that D2 did deliver, I'd be satisfied. Low, low bar.
  • breakablepants 23 Jan 2018 09:37:08 773 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    yeah, I agree - and it's something I've said since the beginning that it took them a while to get D1 to where it was pretty balanced, with a ton of content and cool stuff to do. The massive problem is that with D2 the players had become so used to the systems and 'feel' of D1, that there was bound to be a level of disappointment. What became apparent all too quickly though was that the changes to the loot, PvP, Exotics etc etc etc had left the game extremely shallow. Plus, you can never repeat the extreme loyalty and engagement that D1 had for just being something different.

I used to play D1 every single night for easily a year. D2 - I've played it once in the past month. That's the massive challenge they have - getting the passion back into the community and making people excited to play it again and again.

And I don't mind if all the devs now do is put the D1 systems and balancing into the D2 universe. That's all a lot of people really wanted - new environments, new strikes, new raids, new PvP maps.
  • Malek86 23 Jan 2018 09:41:13 6,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is also a problem in how weapon perks are almost entirely useless, and only gun stats really matter.

For example: The Number, legendary auto rifle. Perk: the bottom half of each magazine deals extra damage.

Tested on a Vex Goblin on Mercury:

Top half damage: 243
    Bottom half damage: 251

Is a 3% damage increase even worth even calling a perk?

Sure there are better ones out there (I've grown quite fond of Triple Tap, it really makes me need to reload way less often), but I feel that the perks in D1 were generally more noticeable. Might be just placebo though.
  • Malek86 23 Jan 2018 09:46:45 6,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    I feel like a right idiot. This entire time, I've been wondering why the Curtain Call rocket launcher wasn't dropping for me. If I'd bothered to check, turns out you can only get it from Zavala (if the damn gunsmith doesn't give you one, which he hasn't). But Strikes being so much worse in D2, I never bothered playing them. Better get to grinding.
    Zavala, at least from my experience, seems to be the ebst source of masterwork gear too, so there's an incentive to play strikes. Too bad that, as you said, they are generally worse than the ones in D1.

To speed things up a bit, buy the Boon of the Vanguard from Zavala, costs only 10 shards, and use it before playing a strike. You'll get 5 extra tokens at the end (might also be a legendary item, but most of the times it's a token pack).

Every other player will also get the bonus, so people will like you better too.

It also helps if you equip a ghost that increases your faction consumables gain during strikes.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:50:25 23-01-2018
  • GarlVinland 23 Jan 2018 10:42:43 2,652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RNGesus smiled upon me last night, I got the Curtain Call from my very first Vanguard engram. :)

Made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the game. Having something that feels powerful is so much more fun than all the nerfed abilities, super recharges and just plain boring weapons. If feels more like an exotic than 90% of actual exotics.

I also played 4 strikes, and 3 of them were the Inverted Spire. At least I was having fun blanketing everything in cluster bombs.
  • Malek86 23 Jan 2018 12:07:39 6,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trying to clear the daily challenges is also a better way to play strikes. At least it gives you something to aim for, and you'll get more tokens too. At this point I have the full Vanguard ornaments set.

Too bad the challenges are always the same ones, three for each element, in rotation. So even that gets old quickly.
  • ChiefGB 23 Jan 2018 13:15:05 7,717 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just think of this whenever I think of bungie and this game recently.
    https://goo.gl/images/PDnptp

Probably needs fixing or something.........the point still stands ;)

Edited by ChiefGB at 13:17:30 23-01-2018
  • ecu 23 Jan 2018 15:17:59 80,325 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    There is also a problem in how weapon perks are almost entirely useless, and only gun stats really matter.

For example: The Number, legendary auto rifle. Perk: the bottom half of each magazine deals extra damage.

Tested on a Vex Goblin on Mercury:

Top half damage: 243
    Bottom half damage: 251

Is a 3% damage increase even worth even calling a perk?

Sure there are better ones out there (I've grown quite fond of Triple Tap, it really makes me need to reload way less often), but I feel that the perks in D1 were generally more noticeable. Might be just placebo though.
    They got rid of some of the better perks, and the lack of random rolls and that perk trees are so slim leaves the loot feeling so bland. Getting a great roll on a gun was thrilling, but they ditched it because it was too hard to control.
  • BTBAM 23 Jan 2018 19:39:22 1,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, so I have a fairly okay YouTube channel with 1k subscribers and I usually put music on it but I just posted a video of a really weird destiny 2 glitch where I became invincible and invisible, not really my thing to make a video like this but did something with it...

https://youtu.be/-74dbSgwJdg
  • Malek86 23 Jan 2018 21:43:24 6,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New Monarchy won again? Maybe next time I should join them. FWC still hasn't won once.
  • ModoX 24 Jan 2018 08:29:07 3,088 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What?! Must be because FWC has all the cool people, and the cool people fucked off to other games months ago.

#fwc4lyfe
  • breakablepants 24 Jan 2018 09:26:31 773 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Quite a good article by Paul Tassi over at Forbes about how Destiny YouTubers are struggling to make regular content about the game -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/01/22/destinys-biggest-content-creators-change-gears-as-the-sequel-struggles/

Would have been nice to have a bit more insight into how Bungie/Activision are trying to keep these guys on side, and what'll happen if they don't.
  • GarlVinland 24 Jan 2018 09:43:10 2,652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Dead Orbit would walk it every single time, but in public events, everyone is wearing the NM armour. It really does look the best.

#NewMonarchyRepresent

Been grinding the Heroic Strike playlist. Only the Pyramidion is worthy of being compared to those in D1.
  • GarlVinland 24 Jan 2018 09:51:03 2,652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    breakablepants wrote:
    Quite a good article by Paul Tassi over at Forbes about how Destiny YouTubers are struggling to make regular content about the game -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/01/22/destinys-biggest-content-creators-change-gears-as-the-sequel-struggles/

Would have been nice to have a bit more insight into how Bungie/Activision are trying to keep these guys on side, and what'll happen if they don't.
    I'm more curious to know whether Acti/Bungie actually cares. They sacrificed the game at the altar of accessibility, so in a way they are getting what they want if YTers don't have anything meaningful to make videos about.

I've seen one or two completely unverified comments that the game is doing well financially despite the bad press, which seems like all they care about.
  • ChiefGB 24 Jan 2018 10:51:35 7,717 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    breakablepants wrote:

Oh dear what will half of you tube do now without their cashcow? Maybe go out into the real world and get jobs.......

Datto,Holtzman and that other dude seem ok, but it looks like thats all they do-all day-everyday.

/justjealous

I've now had visions of that my name is byf twat using has Latin sign off schtick with customers in toolshack lol, I'm sure that would go down a storm 🤣🤣

Edited by ChiefGB at 11:24:22 24-01-2018
  • Peew971 24 Jan 2018 11:26:27 6,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Actually most of these have transitioned to twitch a while ago where they probably get higher revenue than on YouTube anyway and where they can branch out and play other games. I don't think they need a "real job" just yet.
  • breakablepants 24 Jan 2018 12:21:58 773 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:

I'm more curious to know whether Acti/Bungie actually cares. They sacrificed the game at the altar of accessibility, so in a way they are getting what they want if YTers don't have anything meaningful to make videos about.

I've seen one or two completely unverified comments that the game is doing well financially despite the bad press, which seems like all they care about.
    I'd say that the PR and social media teams very much care, but they are the ones that are effectively trying to clean up after the mess that's been made by the game being underbaked.

For all the shit he gets, Deej is a very nice guy and does his best but I think his American-speak does often sound insincere to non-US ears. As for Byf and the YouTubers, it's obviously a symbiotic relationship in that they depend on Destiny fans for the channel views, and Activision PR relies on their content to hype the game.

@ChiefGB - I know what you mean about Byf, but there is a reason he is the way he is. (It includes the word 'spectrum') He's a lovely bloke, just with a mental fascination with lore ;-)

I've not spoken to the Activision PR team in the UK since the launch of D2. They helped a lot with the Destiny In The Pub events we put on, but since D2, we've not had a reason to do another one as I can't be arsed to organise a public bitch-fest ;-) I can imagine they are stressing out about how royally the community is fucked off tho.
  • ChiefGB 24 Jan 2018 12:25:05 7,717 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes but I doubt they "care" about what we think. Just the damage done to the brand, revenue. Fuck em, fuck em all.
  • ChiefGB 24 Jan 2018 12:27:48 7,717 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Peew971 well yeah, twitch, YouTube whatever. Still doubt they play much else but I don't follow these kind of people directly I've just come across a fair amount of their "content" so maybe they do. I imagine they are shitting themselves in their basements to some degree tbh, and will have to diversify to survive.

Still bizarrely got enough money to run on the fumes for now no doubt 🙄
  • Malek86 26 Jan 2018 11:09:46 6,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46596

Iron Banner again next week, plus the introduction of Masterwork armor (which can be reworked to modify the stats - I suppose everyone will want to pick recovery), and some changes to raid rewards to be more effective on the raid itself.

Also, a promise that shaders might eventually go back to how they were in D1.

Not a lot to go with right now, but at least the next expansion should have a better ground to stand on.
  • ChiefGB 26 Jan 2018 13:13:32 7,717 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's certainly good news, even though in some respects it's backward steps that should have needed to be retaken (if that makes sense)
  • GarlVinland 29 Jan 2018 11:10:51 2,652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still having fun with this, even if it's not the life-consuming game D1 was. Not sure I really care about Masterwork armour when it's the weapons IMO that badly need attention. Masterwork or not, they feel so underpowered.

I'm foolishly still holding out hope for a Taken King-style resurrection, despite everything. It's not like Bungie is working on anything else(?), surely it's in their best interests to do everything they can to turn it around.

Also, Dawnblade badly needs a buff. Trying out some niche builds to find fun in the game and this subclass just seems pointless compared to a Striker or Voidwalker. Same with Sunbreaker.
  • ModoX 29 Jan 2018 11:23:31 3,088 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the problem is they just aren't capable, at this point I have no confidence in their ability to turn it around. TTK was great but 4 months in we went through a giant content drought, it was a good release but it was just keeping the flame alive. D2 was when they were supposed to reboot and deliver what they should've done first time round, and they grossly misunderstood their audience, and have continued to do so.
  • wuntyphyve 29 Jan 2018 11:49:22 9,793 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally reached the end game. Quite surprised that as soon as I did so, I got a shitload of legendaries, a fair few exotics and already have my light up to 240. Am I right in saying normal drops will only give me light up to 265 and then I'm restricted to activities to what drops stuff? If that's so then that's... not very good. I think I can see where the problems lie now. Everything is token and hand in based, then you get an engram which decodes, but only up to 265. So patrols etc become obsolete after basically another 25 light levels?
  • MatMan562 29 Jan 2018 11:58:38 3,413 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wuntyphyve The base power of your stuff increases as your overall light level increases. The only way to improve your light level is through "Powerful Engrams" (think that's their name) which you get from completing Weekly Milestones and from Clan engrams. I believe raid drops are at that level too. So normal drops will keep increasing up to, I think, 325 with the dlc level cap.

It is quite a strange way of doing it. I've personally been stuck at Light Level 334 for a good few weeks now because I've not been lucky enough to get a chest piece from one of those engrams. I also don't really see what the point of the light level even is though because everything scales to your level and level advantage is disabled in PvP.

This post might sound quite negative but I actually still really like the game and think most of the complaints towards it have been blown out of proportion.
  • y2rich 29 Jan 2018 11:59:46 3,223 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it needs an FFXIV nuking and rebirth tbh. Bin the whole lot off and start again.
  • GarlVinland 29 Jan 2018 12:26:20 2,652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agreed that the complaints have been blown out of proportion, although I also understand why when you look at how D1 ended up. You expect sequels to build on the foundations of its predecessors, not seemingly forget everything good about them.

I want to know WTH is going on behind the scenes at Bungie. It seems like the game's being pulled in a hundred directions. The guy who saved D1 with TTK was directing it, but now he's not? And how much of Eververse is Activision pushing for a return on investment at the expense of the player? It seems like the game is a mess because Bungie and its deal with Acti is making things an absolute shambles.
  • Malek86 29 Jan 2018 12:26:52 6,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MatMan562 level cap only matters for certain activities... for example, you need 330 for Prestige Nightfall.

But after that, there's no point aside from bragging rights. Mods are effectively useless. I guess that's why they are going to be reworked soon.
  • y2rich 29 Jan 2018 12:28:37 3,223 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was also the rumour going round that D2 got the D1 treatment in development and everything was basically scrapped and restarted about 18 months out from release. Doesn't help matters it was the live team that mostly saved D1 and they had no input into D2 until they took over post D2 release and any significant changes they implement aren't likely to hit the game until the next batch of DLC
  • GarlVinland 29 Jan 2018 12:42:31 2,652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still don't understand why the live team had no input when they were credited with saving D1. Surely you'd want your best people working on your big sequel?

/no idea how game development works
  • Page

of 103 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.