52 Games in 52 Weeks 2017

• Page

of 21 First / Last

Previous
  • Humperfunk 31 Dec 2016 16:35:27 6,774 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You know the drill :)

Rules are whatever you personally want them to be - be it aiming for all trophies/achievements, or when you feel you have completed it by reaching the end of the story etc.

Get stuck in from tomorrow, go!
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Dec 2016 16:46:07 21,721 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I already know my first completion of 2017, due to only having one or two missions to do. Not sure what my actually started and completed in 2017 will be.
    As ever my personal rule is getting to end credits :)

Game 1: Mafia 3 (xb1) 8/10. Beat on 01/01/17

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 08:13:58 01-01-2017
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 31 Dec 2016 23:34:17 2,575 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I sense Yakuza 0 and Kiwami and Persona 5 are going to eat a lot of my time in 2017... Should finish a few shorter games on way though as got a few waiting. Might do a few older Dragon quests if DQVII doesn't wear me out. Some VNs waiting too but they can be time consuming then comes the RPG backlog of doom (peers at Witcher 3 GOTY...)
  • drhcnip 1 Jan 2017 09:45:59 5,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lost track of my list somewhere in october, i think....;)

anyway, unlikely as ever to hit the 52, especially with being right at the start of ff15 atm...shouldve held off finishing last guardian so i could start my list with it...:D
  • Rens11 1 Jan 2017 09:49:59 1,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only managed 46 in 2016 my first failure in the 3 years I've been doing this :( currently halfway through FF XV and Steins Gate and really enjoying both so hopefully will get 2017 off to a good start

Completed Games 2017:

Steins Gate PS Vita 04/01 (8/10)
    Final Fantasy XV PS4 11/01 (8/10)
    Dead Nation PS4 17/01 (8.5/10)
    Horizon Zero Dawn 13/4 (9/10)
    Abzu PC 15/04 (5/10)
    Inside PC 17/04 (6/10)
    Shock Troopers Neo Geo Switch 27/06 (7/10)
    Persona 5 PS4 29/06 (10/10)
    Super hot PC 02/07 (8.5/10)
    Nioh 28/07 (8/10)

Edited by Rens11 at 22:12:53 28-07-2017
  • rice_sandwich 1 Jan 2017 10:13:14 2,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No chance I'll complete or even try 52 games this year but I'd like to concentrate on playing the large amount of point and click adventure games in my steam library. Completed the first three Blackwell games in the last 2 days and working on the fourth. Nice short games that concentrate a lot more on story than fiendishly difficult puzzles.

If I can get some easy card unlocks on steam then I might be able to buy the final game for free. Just need 32p more in steam card sales.
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Jan 2017 10:13:56 2,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Jan 2017 10:13:59 2,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Last year, like the year before, I managed 27 games completed. I aim to complete Spelunky at least 52 times this year, so it shouldn't be a difficult year this time around.

I am also waiting on the release of the Switch now, so will likely have a slow start until March.
  • Nemesis 1 Jan 2017 10:36:57 19,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I skipped this last year and completed....bugger all. So it's a good thread to be part of.

Right then. Here we go!
  • michaelf 1 Jan 2017 13:57:45 65 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is my attempt to get through a sizeable chunk of my playstation backlog (across the 3 & 4, vita and even my psp). I doubt I'll get to complete 52 but 20 or more will be a great achievement for me. As I was late to the PS3 party I've got games which are now seriously old (as were released 2007/8 etc) which I've never played before; I only picked up Assassins Creed 2 during 2016, so my list will be a mix of new and old, but they'll be all new experiences to me.

Roll on a great 2017!
  • rice_sandwich 1 Jan 2017 15:51:52 2,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    1/1/17 - Blackwell Deception - 8/10

A nice continuation of the story with nods back to the previous games. It was longer and the puzzles were a lot harder in the previous 3 games so I used a walkthrough for about 20% of it. Looking forward to the final game in the series. Managed to grab it for free by selling steam trading cards.
  • uberbeard 1 Jan 2017 18:18:28 1,437 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago

I managed to 'complete' only 43 games last year, although I think that number may be a bit deflated by online titles and 40+ hour titles. Hopefully I can beat my year 1 score of 70+ this year. With that comes two completions on day 1 (oh blessed Sunday).

#01 The Last Guardian
    What a cracker! I was super exited about this but couldn't play it as it was a Christmas gift and we spent Christmas at my partner's family and thus away from my PS4.

It has some stand out action moments that challenge any of Uncharted's wild rides and the sheer work that's been put into creating a believable (and lovable) Cat/Dog creature is unthinkable. After the initial struggle with a floppy movement system that shows it's age, the game really sucked me in. A couple of times I experienced Trico's less manageable side as people have been quick to complain about (he has a chance to go the wrong way when you don't point exactly where you need to) but my experience was 90% flawless.

The last few hours especially captured the same pitch of emotion I remembered from Shadow of the Colossus. I'd like to give it a once over but my initial feeling is this game deserves a 9 or a 10. I'm a bit of a pushover for stories with cute animals though.

#02 Frog Fractions
    I heard about the sequel to this web game having been discovered and did a bit of reading about it. I didn't realise it was free and readily available with a Google. Sat down after finishing off the Last Guardian for a bit of a pallet cleanser.

I can see how it gained a reputation for itself, but I must admit I don't really understand the unmitigated hype for the sequel that I noticed on occasion this year. I'm definitely interested to play it, especially if there's more of it to sink into, so I have something funny to look into. 7/10

#03 Refunct
    A game that focuses entirely on being a sort of medative traversal toy. You run around a small collection of blocks activating buttons to raise more blocks out of the water. Feels nice bouncing off of walls and sliding through tubes but I can't help feel structured levels would be a better use of the mechanics, if not an entirely randomly generated track. 5/10

#04 Morphopolis
    The visuals to this reminded me of a well made Flash game and mid 2000s videos made with illustrator like Gronlandic Edit. It's just a simple point and click come hidden object game and can be completed within a few hours.

Not really worth trying but the visuals are well done and sort of weirdly nostalgic. 5/10

Edited by uberbeard at 13:03:26 02-01-2017
  • michaelf 1 Jan 2017 20:40:00 65 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First one done and picked an easy game:

01# The Unfinished Swan (PSV)

Heard it was a good, 'arty' game and was pleasantly surprised. Not got all the balloons; may have another couple of goes to see how many I can get and check out the uncompleted trophies
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Jan 2017 20:43:44 2,575 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1. Actual Sunlight (Vita) (1/1/2016) (?/10)

And lets get started... Played through one of my PSPlus backlog, Actual Sunlight. A simple 'adventure' about depression. It feels reasonably well written and it is short but it is quite limited in gameplay (should be an hour or two to finish and I only missed one trophy). I didn't feel my time was wasted though but I can't give it an actual score.

@rice_sandwich - I just went through the last 4 Blackwell games last month myself. I enjoyed them and it i worth grabbing the 5th one too if you liked the rest. I might try the updated Shivah this year too (finished the original a few years back and it is what pointed me towards Wadjet Eye in the first place)

Dragon Quest VII is going to keep me busy for a bit... I should hopefully polish off Wolfenstein Old Blood this month too as I hear it isn't too long. Mother 1, Tales of Innocence and Spul Havkers (or SMT IV) are some others I have started and should finish. Then comes all of the upcoming stuff...
  • Spectral 1 Jan 2017 22:16:54 5,597 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well I decided to hold off finishing the last 2 Eps till today to help jump start my list

#1 - Batman - The Telltale Series (PC) 8/10 1/1/2017
  • rock27gr 2 Jan 2017 00:39:28 6,405 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    #1 - Super Mario Run -iOS
    Surprisingly precise to control, quite fun and really tricky if you go for all the special coins, which of course is the only way to go! Classic Nintendo course design with fun little tricks here and there to surprise and puzzle you.
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Jan 2017 19:30:33 2,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Just like last year, i'm starting off with some retro Nintendo. In one sitting i've managed to complete the first two Super Mario Bros games. It's easy to forget how difficult they actually are. Everyone's beaten them, but they're not easy. Super Mario Bros 2 remains the peak in the series for me. Throwing stuff around never gets old and you can alter the difficulty on the fly simply through choice of character.

01. Super Mario Bros. (NES) 02/01/17
    02. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) 02/01/17

I'm keen to jump into Super Mario Bros 3 and World next, but i've got one eye on A Link to the Past and Super Metroid, too.
  • JoelStinty 2 Jan 2017 22:05:11 5,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know I won't be able to play 52 games in a year, and even if I did i probably wouldn't enjoy it either. Forcing my self to play so many games would probably drive me mental. Also i would get the sense i am only playing them for the sake off doing so. I'm already frustrated at myself for only watching one film a week on either a thursday or friday from a different service per given week. I have to make sure i'm getting value out of them somehow! I don't know why i do it. So why am i here you ask? Well I guess it be actually kind of cool to keep a log and read others journeys whilst doing so. And i just finished up my first game off the year.

Final Fantasy XV.

I actually finished it last year. (This is not how this works you moron you are thinking) but i just hung up my gloves with the game and uninstalled it. Just been doing a fair bit of side questing, and catching up on podcasts, but i think i had just my fill of the game. 60 Hours in all. Not a bad game, not a great one , but it is immensely compulsive and likeable at the same time.

3/5
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Jan 2017 00:56:49 2,575 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1. Actual Sunlight (Vita) (1/1/2017) (?/10)
    2. The Bunker (PS4) (2/1/2017) (8/10)

FMV point and click horror/suspense adventure game filmed in a real nuclear bunker. Pretty linear and short but very well presented and acted. Story was well-done too. A few QTE type bits but nothing that is too hard or instantly repeatable. I enjoyed it for the current PSPlus price. If you like the look of it it will give you 2-3 hrs for one playthrough for the (current) price of a midprice DVD, cheap cinema ticket or a couple of pints. Didn't get all the collectibles (but did both endings) so may have a second go for the platinum.
  • rice_sandwich 3 Jan 2017 06:43:39 2,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JoelStinty

I'm going to use the challenge to make sure I'm playing the types of games I want to (short 5 to 10 hour ones) rather than sticking on something I'm already familiar with just because it's easier (Splatoon). I have the worst habit of buying something new, trying it for a bit and then buying something new and so on. As for films I've found it cheaper/better to buy used dvds rather than using amazon/netflix/mubi etc. You can pick up 2 to 5 dvds for 10 these days and make your own netflix of stuff you actually want to watch.
  • Switch024 3 Jan 2017 09:36:13 1,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    #1 Battlefield 1 - Campaign (01/01/17)

Good campaign for a Battlefield game but still pretty average. The prologue showed a lot of promise but once it moved towards stealth gameplay I enjoyed it less and less.

The multiplayer on the other hand is absolutely brilliant and will probably take up so much of my gaming time that I'll never get near 52 games in 52 weeks.
  • Nemesis 3 Jan 2017 11:32:44 19,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    1. Diablo 3 PC/Mac

Rinsed the hell out of this on PS4, but picked up the Reaper of Souls on the cheap so just finished the main game. It's a fun way to spend a couple of hours, nothing too taxing, and I'm quite happy just to zip through levels without too much thinking. Scales very nicely on PC, it was really just a chance to check out my new system. Over to Mrs Nem later and we'll co-op Reaper and get that done and dusted ready for the Diablo 1 levels.
  • MatMan562 3 Jan 2017 21:21:56 3,391 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've seen these threads for awhile and been tempted to try it but always felt like I'd just give up after 2 weeks. Last year, however, I felt like I wasted so much time deciding which of the hundreds of games in my backlog I was going to play instead of actually playing them that I thought I should try and focus on one game at a time before moving on to the next one. That reminded me of these threads so decided to make a list of every week this year and assign a game to each so I can just get on with it.

My own rules for what counts on completion will vary a little for each game but, largely just means finishing whatever is considered the main campaign. While I have assigned a game to specific week already I may change that if I don't particularly feel like playing that game that week and I have also left no room for any new purchases so those will definitely get added when I buy them (though I'm going to try not to buy too many this year). For some games, like Fallout 4 for example, I've given it a specific month and then one small game to play within each week as well so I'm still, hopefully, completing a game a week while I also focus on a bigger title.

I've just completed my first one:

1. Gears of War 4

I had done the first 4 Acts already so just had to finish it off tonight. I really enjoyed the campaign in this (still yet to touch multiplayer or horde mode) and I'm looking forward to where the story goes in the future games. It also looks absolutely fantastic on PC!
  • Humperfunk 3 Jan 2017 23:57:08 6,774 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MatMan562 good man! Welcome :)

This thread is - for me - purely designed to plough through games I buy and try to finish.

You will note from the last two years that I am positive about every game I finish. This thread has encouraged me to bin anything I don't like so when I have finished on 37 for the last two years, that's 37 games I have mostly enjoyed each yeah :)

Annoyingly, 3rd of Jan coming to a close and I haven't been able to touch a game since the 30th of December. Bah! Terrible start.
  • rep- 4 Jan 2017 01:13:12 75 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Game #1 Final Fantasy XV 8/10 03/01/17

Enjoyed it, although it took me a while to get into it. The tone of the game changes through the lads journey which I quite liked.

Next - The Last Guardian.

Edited by rep- at 07:03:03 04-01-2017
  • RunningMan 5 Jan 2017 07:59:59 2,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    #1, Azkend 2, not great but free. Filling time while I finished DOOM and Mafia 3.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Jan 2017 23:26:10 2,575 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1. Actual Sunlight (Vita) (1/1/17) (?/10)
    2. The Bunker (PS4) (2/1/17) (8/10) (PLAT 5/1)
    3. Wolfenstein: Old Blood (PS4) (5/1/17) (8/10)

Finished Wolfenstein Old Blood. Fun standalone expansion to New Order. Longer than I expected (took me about 11 hours although I did die a LOT on third difficulty). Singleplayer and fun with mostly pretty graphics and a range of meaty weapons. Some optional stealth or go guns a blazing. Played through most (all?) of the Nightmare levels but must have missed some silver on some as 3 trophies short in that category. End boss was a little annoying but fitted the OTT story. Got lots of collectables but not all.

Still working on DQ 7...

Edit - platinummed Bunker while waiting for Dolm patch to install.

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 01:19:02 06-01-2017
  • Page

of 21 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.