Go 8 Bit Page 3

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• breakablepants 6 Sep 2016 09:46:27 781 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Seeing as nearly all TV shows about games are either terrible or fail horribly, I think it's our responsibility as gamers to get behind this!

Yes, was a bit weak in sections - revolving stage dancing was horrible - but the important thing is that it makes gaming inclusive, something grownups can do, and it's brilliant to see people known for other things revealing the fact that they are gamers.

Susan Calman isn't to everyone's taste, but she's basically a fixture on Radio 4, so was a perfect person to be on the show as it contrasted with her known persona.

As someone who claims to be a massive gamer, David James was terrible ;-)

I really enjoyed it as it was as much about the obvious fun they and the audience was having as the games themselves. There are enough 'serious' and po-faced podcasts and YouTube channels about games, so about time something was crated that is more about the playing than the games themselves. I really hope it gets a decent run, and gets a chance to tweak the few things that felt a bit too forced.
  • the_milkybar_kid 6 Sep 2016 10:43:45 6,392 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Having just recently placed Tekken 2 on a Raspberry Pi, I'd like to think I was quite good at it back then. But was fucking terrible at this point. You could see he was trying to pull off moves but didn't come off. Especially playing against someone that just spam's low kicks.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2016 10:50:39
    Seeing as nearly all TV shows about games are either terrible or fail horribly, I think it's our responsibility as gamers to get behind this!

But it's terrible. If people support it, the producers will put out more terrible stuff.
  • rockavitch 6 Sep 2016 10:51:25 976 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It came across as a bunch of bad actors pretending to like games. If I didn't know who Dara or Ellie were I wouldn't have believed anyone on that stage give a single fuck about games.
  • cowell 6 Sep 2016 10:53:34 1,432 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Far from terrible in my view. Nobodies claiming this to be perfect, but its as valid as any of the current crop of panel shows.

I was expecting the worst and was very cynical about it but was pleasantly surprised

Edited by cowell at 10:54:58 06-09-2016
  • breakablepants 6 Sep 2016 11:02:52 781 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Folant Maybe it's not terrible, you'd just like to see a different kind of TV show about games made? Which is a fair point, it's just that many attempts at 'serious' shows have come and gone.

I really liked the one-off that Charlie Brooker made about games, and from time to time there are interesting documentaries etc. But there just isn't a TV show that will get the viewer numbers to justify shows about games.

The fact that we are still referencing Games Master, which ended in 1998, shows that games don't do well on TV. So maybe trying to make it into something more accessible is a good thing?
  • TheSaint 6 Sep 2016 11:41:21 17,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shows like Click on BBC News have always had decent games coverage. I'd rather watch something like that with a bit more depth than a 'comedy' panel show.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2016 11:56:20
    Granted the large majority of viewership on YouTube and Twitch is a younger audience, but there are things on these websites for the adult, thirty something enthusiast aswell.

If they could tap into that they'd have a much better deal on their hands. I mean, I'm not a TV producer, I don't know what goes into making a TV show, and I'm not saying it's by any means easy...but surely with a bit of effort it could be at least better than that IMO.

Or maybe I'm just out of touch. I mean, I'm nearly 33, I shouldn't be playing with toys. :D
  • Daryoon 6 Sep 2016 12:02:52 5,914 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    In a way the shit playing was what actually made it better in places. Could some of it been manufactured for drama?? I mean the tekken fight was the most entertaining and the ability of the players was terrible, but it made for tense entertainment.
    Except that was how everyone I have ever known plays Tekken.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2016 12:44:55
    Folant wrote:
    Granted the large majority of viewership on YouTube and Twitch is a younger audience, but there are things on these websites for the adult, thirty something enthusiast aswell.

If they could tap into that they'd have a much better deal on their hands. I mean, I'm not a TV producer, I don't know what goes into making a TV show, and I'm not saying it's by any means easy...but surely with a bit of effort it could be at least better than that IMO.

Or maybe I'm just out of touch. I mean, I'm nearly 33, I shouldn't be playing with toys. :D
    And yet you are clearly the target audience for broadcast TV, which is a dead duck. And who watches a dead duck? Not even it's mother, who just flies around looking sad
  • DugBriderider 6 Sep 2016 12:51:45 797 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Folant

You cant make a TV show to beat the games news website, most of the time you have 15 years of experience to attempt catch up on, games news/ reviews & features is not broad enough for TV and all dates terribly. I'll bet that gameswipe is already creaky.

What you can do is use a winning TV formula (comedy panel show) and inject some games culture into it. That episode last night could be repeated on Dave indefinitely and still be entertaining.

As I read somewhere else it can take time for TV to hone its format over several series. I do hope this gets the chance because the core idea is fine.
  • Rhaegyr 6 Sep 2016 13:17:57 4,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was pretty guff, like most if not all panel shows.
  • waggy79 6 Sep 2016 13:24:54 1,818 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed it. There are tweaks that can be ironed out but for me the more gaming shows on tv the better. Im a fan of Dara and some of his comments show he's clearly a gamer and not someone who just did their research.
    Surprised David James was so bad considering he plays alot, and at his chosen game too.
  • twelveways 6 Sep 2016 13:26:24 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What was that games show presented by the for girls a while back, Emily something... They should bring that back. The gaming part was shit but at least they were nice to look at.
  • Overmegasixwave 6 Sep 2016 14:15:21 68 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @twelveways You may be thinking of Bits, used to be on channel 4. Emily Booth used to be one of the presenters along with Aleks Krotoski and another lass whose name I don't remember.
  • twelveways 6 Sep 2016 14:34:51 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that was it. She was lovely, used to do some tv show about horror movies too iirc
  • Blurp 6 Sep 2016 14:37:19 1,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    It's weird how the whole "lets play" genre works really well on youtube, but tv makers can't seem to do it properly.
    I think lets play on Youtube works because the person playing usually knows how to play the game in question enough not to irritate the viewer and also narrates what he/she is doing.
  • twelveways 6 Sep 2016 14:40:30 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know how people can stand listening to most of the morons who do let's play videos
  • Blurp 6 Sep 2016 14:42:05 1,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I usually just watch Giantbomb stuff and they do it very well. But yeah I agree, to me most are really annoying, but it works.
  • greenthumb 6 Sep 2016 16:52:29 551 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i watched half last night, was pretty bad. I think the problem is getting people who aren't great at games to have a competition. That's never fun. People want to see skilled people playing, same as sport or theatre etc. You want to watch and be impressed. Back in the day, gamesmaster had skilled folks on. Wheres the fun in watching James button mashing tekken for 10 minutes while Dara desperately tries to get some excitement created. get decent players in and it creates itself
  • Daryoon 6 Sep 2016 17:15:24 5,914 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    greenthumb wrote:
    i watched half last night, was pretty bad. I think the problem is getting people who aren't great at games to have a competition. That's never fun. People want to see skilled people playing, same as sport or theatre etc. You want to watch and be impressed. Back in the day, gamesmaster had skilled folks on. Wheres the fun in watching James button mashing tekken for 10 minutes while Dara desperately tries to get some excitement created. get decent players in and it creates itself
    Do people not play video games with their mates or something?
  • twelveways 6 Sep 2016 18:55:33 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not the same. I play football with my mates but there's no way I would watch a full football match played by people of our skill level, it would be boring as shit.
  • docrob 6 Sep 2016 20:05:20 816 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I enjoyed it a lot. It was very much played for geeky laughs, and some of the contests were brilliant (the 'human controllers' one especially).

Will watch again.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2016 20:21:10
    Big back Big Boy Barry.

• PazJohnMitch 6 Sep 2016 20:32:01 13,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought it was ok. Probably watch it for nostalgia purposes.

It will depend a lot on the contestants. I thought David James was the most amusing but he was only a guest not a team leader.
  • ChiefGB 6 Sep 2016 20:56:56 7,737 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I don't know the captains, I picked up from watching it till the end that it's their show idea but am I supposed to have heard of them (do they have any games related professional backgrounds?)
  • Deleted user 6 September 2016 21:52:58
    Saw this tonight and it was okay. The guests were easy more interesting than the "regulars" as you've said and the stupid dancing as the stage moved was cringe worthy. Still, nice to see the games and it was alright. The trivia was interesting too.
  • crashVoodoo 6 Sep 2016 22:20:21 5,656 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    its been alright so far actually. tekken match the highlight so far definately

and then downhill with battlefront. made that game look dull as fuck

Edited by crashVoodoo at 22:23:08 06-09-2016
  • Daryoon 7 Sep 2016 00:32:02 5,914 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm still baffled at all the "they're obviously not gamers" comments going about, as if, in order to "qualify" as a gamer you need to be good at every single game and genre out there.

I enjoy Street Fighter 2. I've been playing it since it first came out.

I can't perform a single combo.

Edited by Daryoon at 00:32:17 07-09-2016
  • ChiefGB 7 Sep 2016 00:59:19 7,737 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What!! Not even ryu's classic flying hard kick into uppercut into dragon punch. You'll be partying like it's 1992 with that one later ;)
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.