Alien: Covenant Page 27

• Page

of 33 First / Last

• JYM60 18 May 2017 10:22:05 17,490 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This exceeded my expectations! I thought it would be better!

It's not really a sequel to Prometheus, it has David (who I liked in Prometheus, hated in this) and that's about it. The only interesting thing about Prometheus was the engineers, and the search for them and their planet for answers. Yes that's not very in line with the franchise, but it was the only good thing in that film.
    But no, everything from Prometheus is out the window, engineers are wiped out with little reason.
    Sure the reason was because David wanted to test his creationist theories. But honestly that is shite. So the Xenomorph was created from this race we know precisely nothing about? Pointless.

David ruined the film for me. I mean it probably wasn't going to be great for me anyway, at best an Alien retread. But every David scene was awful IMO. Whittering on about Wagner, Byron, etc. Nonsense.

Overall middle of the film was the weakest for me. The other bits could of been OK, but every single death was in the trailers, so not great. Main disappointment was that it was a weak follow up to a weak film. I didn't like Prometheus or many reasons, but was interested in seeing where it was going. It went nowhere, making Prometheus a completely pointless film now.

If you like loads of talk about creationism, god, heaven and hell, ancient German composers, then you're in for a treat.
  • JYM60 18 May 2017 10:24:19 17,490 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best bits.

'I'll do the fingering'

Kenny Powers flying around in space in a space suit.
  • SweetMrGibs 18 May 2017 10:59:36 1,097 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I enjoyed it, but then I liked Alien 3 (Directors Cut, mind) - so you can't really trust my judgement.
  • Gearskin 18 May 2017 11:37:04 3,071 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    I enjoyed it, but then I liked Alien 3 (Directors Cut, mind) - so you can't really trust my judgement.
    Can we trust the 77% on RT based on 160 press reviews either though?
  • captbirdseye 18 May 2017 11:51:25 8,134 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, everyone loved Transformers...
  • SweetMrGibs 18 May 2017 11:53:32 1,097 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Gearskin I don't know... I find it difficult to trust anything anymore. I think my printed Encyclopaedias from the early 80's are probably most trustworthy that most of the shite posted on the internet.
  • JiveHound 18 May 2017 11:54:41 8,950 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    Er, no.

We can trust those critics that align with our tastes. Not some amalgamation of everyone's opinion.

Score aggregates are almost worthless, time we all woke up
  • Gearskin 18 May 2017 12:06:30 3,071 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In an insane world the sane man must appear insane.
  • Duffking 18 May 2017 12:06:32 14,860 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WAKE UP SHEEPLE

not that I disagree particularly
  • JiveHound 18 May 2017 15:08:18 8,950 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    WAKE UP SHEEPLE

not that I disagree particularly
    :D
  • damagedinc 18 May 2017 15:14:04 2,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    No we clearly can't. 

Neomorph thing was awesome but lasts ten min and then it just goes badly wrong
  • JYM60 18 May 2017 15:26:46 17,490 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    No we clearly can't.

Was OK. The bit where it bust out of the back, and on the landingship was OK. The bit in the fields was shit though. Brutally obvious CGI creatures running about in the field at super speed whilst idiots sprayed bullets. A shadow of the Aliens scene were they were coming out of the walls surrounding the marines.

In fact, I can't believe Covenant was called a horror film.
  • damagedinc 18 May 2017 15:53:55 2,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    damagedinc wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    No we clearly can't.

Was OK. The bit where it bust out of the back, and on the landingship was OK. The bit in the fields was shit though. Brutally obvious CGI creatures running about in the field at super speed whilst idiots sprayed bullets. A shadow of the Aliens scene were they were coming out of the walls surrounding the marines.

I quite liked how frantic they were, just going ape shit on people's faces. Plus liked the look of the fully grown one standing up before the captain shot it
  • Gearskin 18 May 2017 16:13:04 3,071 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    damagedinc wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    No we clearly can't.

Is that the scene where the highly trained marines run around like maniacs, disobey orders and forget their badass training?

That scene where, having established that Ripley was probably right, every single trained soldiers walks into the hive? Rather than, I dunno, a few to scout it out first?

Im not knocking it. But, technically, bad decisions is what powers action/horror cinema.
  • SweetMrGibs 18 May 2017 16:24:06 1,097 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Im not knocking it. But, technically, bad decisions is what powers action/horror cinema.
    And the internet.
  • JYM60 18 May 2017 16:28:33 17,490 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I'm not saying that both don't have people being a bit stupid. Just that the scene atmosphere and sense of dread was much more heightened in the Aliens scene. It's a scary scene. In Covenant it wasn't really built up, and was just a load of quick action with quick cuts. Pretty hard to see what was even happening some of the time, and not scary at all.
  • MrFlay 18 May 2017 16:32:47 3,603 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The worst thing I can say about Alien Covenant is that it's simply boring. Many action or horror movies can be mediocre but not just boring. I can watch bad action movies and still be entertained.
  • thelzdking 18 May 2017 16:50:23 6,359 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm seeing this tomorrow...
  • beastmaster 18 May 2017 23:11:45 17,591 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Going on Saturday night. The characters in this film can't be as dumb as they are in Prometheus, right?
  • MrSensible 19 May 2017 09:55:36 26,523 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Going on Saturday night. The characters in this film can't be as dumb as they are in Prometheus, right?
    You better believe it!
  • thelzdking 19 May 2017 10:04:10 6,359 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm having a meal at a chain pub before seeing this: an evening of stodgy mediocrity awaits, I feel.
  • ubergine 19 May 2017 10:25:11 7,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    They are, but you won't remember them.
  • JYM60 19 May 2017 14:21:16 17,490 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only characters I can remember are Daniels, and Tennessee. Not sure if a lot of them even had names.
  • JiveHound 19 May 2017 15:06:33 8,950 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    I'm having a meal at a chain pub before seeing this: an evening of stodgy mediocrity awaits, I feel.
    Jesus, when you put it like that I wanna reach for the razor...
  • MrSensible 19 May 2017 16:20:45 26,523 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Only characters I can remember are Daniels, and Tennessee. Not sure if a lot of them even had names.
    There was... you know... that religious one.

I'm done.
  • thelzdking 19 May 2017 23:21:06 6,359 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What a shitshow. It wasn't terrible, but it was a fucking mess.
  • Tomo 20 May 2017 00:24:57 15,588 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:

Agree 100%. Ridley Scott was hyping it up as a return to the horror genre and it was far from it. The David-Walter punch-up was peak rote action movie scene.
  • Tomo 20 May 2017 00:29:50 15,588 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    That was one of my big gripes. They set up the engineers as this cool and mysterious race of aliens who used technology magic to create us, with the big driving plot point that we needed to meet them to understand our place in the universe.

Then in the next movie, David nukes them from orbit and we never get to see another single one of the cunts.
    Agreed - thanks for nicely summing up a point that irritated me, but I couldn't quite figure out why! Engineers were hugely wasted here.
  • Pierre2k 20 May 2017 12:48:51 844 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Up front ill state my bias. I absolutely love the Alien franchise. My favourite series of films that I own on VHS, DVD and Bluray. Not a fan of Alien Resurrection, but Alien 3 has grown on me a lot over the years, especially in production cut form.

Went to see Alien Covenant last night and.....I quite liked it. Ridley always makes visually beautiful films and this was no exception. Suspending my disbelief at some of the stupidity, I found it an enjoyable romp. Far from the perfection of Alien and Aliens, but decent. After years of Resurrection and AvP, this was a relief and unlike Prometheus, did actually feel like an Alien movie.

That said, it has plenty of annoyances.
    - without giving spoilers the reason they end up out of hypersleep and going to the engineer's planet is absolutely ludicrous. More chance of winning Euromillions than anyone stumbling on that planet by complete chance.

- Again, without spoilers that ending was ridiculous as well. As if you wouldn't have your doubts.... Not buying it.

- as others have said, the way engineers all get wiped out in one stroke is crazy. I don't believe for a second they wouldn't have some idea/response to that liquid. They've obviously managed to control it previously.

- the fact that you have to watch the two prologues on YouTube prior to going to see the film.

- the lack of anything resembling a satisfactory closure to the Elizabeth Shaw story.

Overall though, my main grip is around the origin of the xenonorph itself and the whole black goo story introduced in Prometheous and continued here. Absolutely hate the entire concept and think it completely destroys the mystery behind them. Oh, and the David character just doesn't have any appropriate motivation for his action, android or not. Michael Fassbender is great, but I loathe the character.

Still, enjoyed the movie in the round. As a fan of the franchise I'll definitely give it another watch when it comes out on bluray.
  • Jmek 20 May 2017 14:21:40 1,520 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do you not think that Jim Camreon destroyed the mystery of the Alien when he turned it from a Lovecraftian nightmare into an ant?

Not that I'm knockig Aliens mind. I just think that saying Covenant removes the mystery of the Alien is a redundant statement.
  • Page

of 33 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.