Retro gaming thread Page 33

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• StrayBezza 14 May 2017 16:13:13 980 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mrpon

Not a tinkerer in the slightest! Plus I have no spare pads/keyboard/sd cards etc loafing about my house waiting to be used!
  • mrpon 14 May 2017 16:42:11 33,721 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah! Well once you've deducted the costs of those components from the asking price what you're left with is "tinkerers knowledge" if you're happy paying that then knock yourself out.
  • kentmonkey 14 May 2017 16:53:53 22,346 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's my 40th in a few weeks and thinking of getting a RetroPie as a treat with some of the inevitable birthday money.

If I was to get a 32gb card, has anyone already "done it" and got a good working set up they could copy over of Mame, Snes, megadrive, Amiga and perhaps Neo Geo (Saturn/DC/PS1 and N64 would be great as well but assuming they're hard to emulator)?
  • Rusty_M 15 May 2017 06:43:56 6,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey I've yet to get Amiga working. SNES and Mega Drive are great on mine. I think PS1 should work, but I haven't tried. Saturn is pretty much out of the question according to the RetroPie website.
  • Psiloc 15 May 2017 15:53:07 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a full backup image of Retropie with all the 8/16-bit consoles. Not touched Amiga though, I'm firmly of the opinion that computer gaming was fucking shite back then :). I could also get a backup of my arcade machine, but there is a caveat that the overlays and shaders are configured for a 4:3 monitor. I've never tested it on a 16:9 monitor but I doubt they would look right, however you're welcome to both if you want them.

Not sure how I'd share them though as the images would be about 8GB each.

To answer your other questions, Saturn emulation is a non-starter, N64 is iffy (definitely tinker territory), PS1 is fine. Neo Geo and MAME are good depending on the sort of thing you're after and again, how willing you are to tinker. You could do worse than to read through the older pages of this thread where I basically documented my adventures with my arcade build.
  • quadfather 15 May 2017 16:04:45 29,422 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm firmly of the opinion that computer gaming was fucking shite back then :).

wut?!
  • Psiloc 15 May 2017 16:18:18 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Meh, went and looked through the thread for you as it's probably worth bumping the information.

When it comes to arcade gaming on the Pi, it is easy to get daunted with all of the options. In a nutshell, because it's a low powered system, there are a ton of different MAME versions on there as frequently, one version will run a game better than another. The problem is that unlike other systems, with MAME you need the ROM version to match the emulator version, meaning on the face of it, there is a lot of time you could waste getting each game up and running. It doesn't help that a lot of the ROM sets are now quite hard to find.

To save yourself a lot of frustration it's worth learning some shortcuts. First of all, for any given game, you want to give priority to MAME 2003, which uses ROM set 0.78. I'd say 2003 is the sweet spot for performance and compatibility on the Pi and the ROM set is easy to find (just Google it). If a game doesn't load or has issues in MAME 2003, try MAME 2010. Sometimes 0.78 ROMs will work better just by loading them in MAME 2010 - I remember Tapper being an example of this. Otherwise you can find the 2010 ROM from somewhere.

For Neo Geo games, you can just grab whatever the latest version of the ROM is from your favourite ROM site, and load it in FBA. It will probably work happy as larry. If that doesn't work you should treat it as a "normal" arcade game and source it using the same method as above.

Edited by Psiloc at 16:45:38 15-05-2017
  • wizbob 15 May 2017 16:35:16 882 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can get the mame 0.78 rom set from archive.org - it's all quite civilised these days.

BTW if anyone is using retropie with a CRT, have a look at Pi2scart. I bought one and now have rock solid 240p 15khz video.
  • wizbob 15 May 2017 16:35:17 882 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Psiloc 15 May 2017 16:37:10 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

wut?!
    Sorry :) slightly too young to have been caught up in British computers.
  • the_milkybar_kid 15 May 2017 16:39:51 6,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Psiloc I second this. Although there are a number of duplicates on .78, it's well worth it. I've got all the 8 - 64bit era games on mine (excluding Playstation at the moment) if you need anything, don't mind putting them on Google Drive.
  • Psiloc 15 May 2017 16:43:37 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wizbob wrote:
    You can get the mame 0.78 rom set from archive.org - it's all quite civilised these days.

BTW if anyone is using retropie with a CRT, have a look at Pi2scart. I bought one and now have rock solid 240p 15khz video.
    Yeah that's where I got my 0.78 ROM set. Thank God for Archive.org, if it weren't for them hosting that, Maming on the Pi would be a lot harder.

Is Pi2Scart RGB? That's pretty cool. I don't judge HDMI retro gamers because of the convenience, but I definitely notice the input lag vs. a CRT. It makes the difference between me one credit clearing a game and mediocrity.
  • Psiloc 15 May 2017 16:52:42 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid You picked up any tips for the N64? It sounded like a pain the last time I looked into it.
  • the_milkybar_kid 15 May 2017 17:30:20 6,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Psiloc I haven't really messed around with it too much. I wiped Retropie / Arch and did a clean install with the latest version and it seems to run relatively fine for the little I've played. Was able to play a 3 player on MK64, Banjo Kazooie works well apart from it flaking a bit when you bring up the start menu. Really couldn't​ give a better evaluation at this point.
  • StrayBezza 15 May 2017 17:55:58 980 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it better to buy a Pi3 with Retropie or recalbox?

I can't be arsed to build my own just going to get a setup from pi hut and then choose a preloaded sd card - hence the question!
  • Psiloc 15 May 2017 18:51:27 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Retropie definitely wins the popular vote.
  • mal 15 May 2017 19:48:45 28,510 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    On my Pandora, I find the Rice ES1 plugin (I think it's called) for the SGX HLE (or whatever the only one you normally fiddle with it called) works well for F-Zero X, which is the only N64 game I play regularly these days. Dunno how applicable that is for RPi, but there you go.
  • the_milkybar_kid 18 May 2017 13:23:15 6,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Latest issue of Retro Gamer has a big section on Rogue Squadron and Half Life 2. Right up my street.

• quadfather 18 May 2017 13:53:22 29,422 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

wut?!
    Sorry :) slightly too young to have been caught up in British computers.
    Harumph - let you off :)
  • geeza2020 18 May 2017 13:54:18 2,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got my genesis back with the mega amp installed. Opened up the console and they've done a decent job, and the bass sounds now, oh my :D Streets of Rage 2 has never sounded better. Well, unless you're one of the lucky people with a launch genesis/mega drive that is.

Edited by geeza2020 at 13:54:59 18-05-2017
  • quadfather 18 May 2017 14:00:41 29,422 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid

I was reading that exact magazine last night, especially the rogue squadron bit.

I was a bit miffed at the attitude towards Chuckie Egg 2 though - I used to adore that game
  • the_milkybar_kid 18 May 2017 14:04:09 6,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather I haven't checked it out yet, I've got about 3 issues to read yet but was glad to see it get coverage, was playing it recently on the PC.
  • dankcushions 18 May 2017 14:13:38 327 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    StrayBezza wrote:
    Is it better to buy a Pi3 with Retropie or recalbox?

I can't be arsed to build my own just going to get a setup from pi hut and then choose a preloaded sd card - hence the question!
    don't buy a preloaded sd card/pi3 system. aside from the fact you're giving money to pieces of shit making a profit on mine and others hard work, you're also buying version .whatever with X changes, and will find it difficult to get any meaningful support.

it's really not hard to set up. a pre-loaded card will not stop you having to do the same amount of tinkering, and you'll know less about the system because you don't know how they got to where they did.

Edited by dankcushions at 14:22:44 18-05-2017
  • SlackMaster 18 May 2017 15:05:53 3,156 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @kentmonkey I've setup a Pi3 recently with retropie with mixed results, mainly getting Mame working with all the games I want.

RetroArch that runs the emulators in emulation station seems a bit hit and miss. I've managed to get the mame-libretro up and running with the roms I have, although not all the Mame 0.78/2003 roms work. I haven't been able to get mame4all roms up and running. Most of them will load but not with my controller config so I cannot control any of the games. :s

NES, SNES, TurboGrafx/PCEngine and Megadrive all work great though. I'm probably missing something with mame as I know you have to be very specific with the rom sets that you get but I've tried most suggestions online and can't get everything I want up and running.

Can't seem to find a Cadillac and Dinosaurs rom either for an of the included mame emulators.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 18 May 2017 15:10:41 47,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Can you not find a C&D ROM at all, or is it just finding one that works on those emulators?
  • SlackMaster 18 May 2017 15:11:02 3,156 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Psiloc I think the ROM set on archive.org though is over 20gb and the way they have abbreviated the names of the roms makes finding the games you want a nightmare.

I have a copy of the same set just from another source and it's missing a lot of great games as well as not all the games work on lr-mame2003.
  • Psiloc 18 May 2017 15:16:07 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some of the MAME emulators don't actually grab the defined controls from Retroarch properly. Press tab and configure the controller like normal.

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is definitely in the 0.78 ROM set. I think the filename is dino if that helps.

I personally found MAME 2003 and the 0.78 ROM set to be very reliable. Make sure to try all three versions (as in the US, Japanese and World versions). One will usually work. Most of the time it failed for me, loading the ROM in MAME 2010 worked. You've also got the option of trying FBA if need be, especially for Neo Geo games.
  • StrayBezza 18 May 2017 15:16:21 980 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dankcushions

Is it really that easy to install retropie and then all the roms without encountering any issues that I won't understand how to remedy?

I have the patience of a non saint.
  • Psiloc 18 May 2017 15:19:56 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, the abbreviated filenames can be a problem. What you can do is go on emuparadise and find the ROM on there. The listing will mention the filename. You can then find that file in your downloaded 0.78 ROM set.

I had the same reservation about downloading 20GB of ROMs when I wanted, like, 20 or so. But trust me, you will save time in the long run. Finding individual 0.78 ROMs is nearly impossible.

Edited by Psiloc at 15:21:58 18-05-2017
  • Page

of 36 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.