Favourite punk band Page 5

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• FWB 15 Feb 2010 14:03:56 45,578 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Anyway, like I said before this trumped it all.
    \o/ I prefer Preachin the Blues though :D Preach the blues!!! Wooooo + Spaz out!

I saw Kid Congo in Dec/Nov. He played For the Love of Ivy and Sex Beat. Got a vid of the latter my mate made. Awesome stuff. As the comment on that Preachin' the blues link says: "It's like the Pixies meets Robert Johnson", although obviously GC were just before Frank Black and co.

Was also reading an interview with Kid and he told how when he first started in the GC he couldn't play guitar so they open tuned it for him and would just shout "1, 5, 7" at him. :)
  • Spanky 15 Feb 2010 14:08:05 14,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll have to check out his solo stuff as i know everything he's worked on, but never really pulled him out as the common thread.

Plubs

• FWB 15 Feb 2010 14:10:15 45,578 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    From the last solo album.

Gig was busy though far from sold out. Packed full of famous faces too.
  • Spanky 15 Feb 2010 14:36:31 14,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ha very Cramps in a good way.

Plubs

• Deleted user 15 February 2010 15:25:31
    @Spanky "take thon Bad Religion, sounds like some sort of rocking hillbilly honky rapping, i don't hear the punk influence"

/facepalm

and nobody has mentioned the punk legends Minor Threat and Black Flag \o/
  • Blaketown 15 Feb 2010 16:11:04 4,951 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Propagandhi

Although my knowledge of punk kind of begins and ends with them I can state with confidence they are the best as they are fuggin awesome.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• billythekid 15 Feb 2010 16:17:13 11,397 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dropkick Murphys. Really like their stuff having only recently discovered them.
  • caligari 15 Feb 2010 18:12:26 17,193 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I guess Devo were originally a 'punk' band - so I'll say...DEVO!
  • neilqpr 15 Feb 2010 18:25:00 2,865 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Black Flag/Germs/Wipers for me.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2010 19:03:24
    Blaketown wrote:
    Propagandhi

Although my knowledge of punk kind of begins and ends with them I can state with confidence they are the best as they are fuggin awesome.

nice man, just had a few listens. Can you recommend any standout tracks?
  • Deleted user 15 February 2010 19:59:13
    billythekid wrote:
    Dropkick Murphys. Really like their stuff having only recently discovered them.

Saw them at B'ham about 2 years ago - they have the best groupie pick-up ever - something like this:

"ok so who likes the DKMs?"
    "all the females come on stage"

/play closing song

/all girls disappear

They were warmup to Pogues when Shane McGowan rejoined a few years back - there was hardly any crowd left to see Shane fall about drunk

Good gig
  • QotSAfan 15 Feb 2010 20:15:57 1,756 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X, Iggy Pop and The Stooges, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, The Undertones, Ash, Refused, Big Black.

Some of them are stretching the definition a bit but hey, its all good.
  • QotSAfan 15 Feb 2010 20:15:58 1,756 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 15 February 2010 21:20:33
    QotSAfan wrote:
    X, Iggy Pop and The Stooges, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, The Undertones, Ash, Refused, Big Black.

Read Wonderland Avenue? If you're a Iggy man then I suggest it wholeheartedly

Never a fan of Dead Kennedy's or Undertones really but they did some pretty good stuff

Ash is pushing the confines of punk though I'm afraid :p
  • QotSAfan 16 Feb 2010 15:08:59 1,756 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:

Never a fan of Dead Kennedy's or Undertones really but they did some pretty good stuff

Cant say i have read it. Looking at it though, seems a very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation! Oh, Jim Morrision is also involved \o/

Going to have to pick it up, along with A Bit of A Blur.
  • thelzdking 16 Feb 2010 15:15:27 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Black Flag, Discharge, Heresy, Bad Brains, Dag Nasty, Fucked Up and loads more.
  • Blaketown 16 Feb 2010 15:21:33 4,951 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    Propagandhi

"The State Lottery" springs instantly to mind.

and "Less Talk, More Rock" is brilliant in it's own little way.

Their second album is the way to go although their first is good also.

Edit: "Apparently, I'm A "P.C. Facist" (Because I Care About Both Human And Non-Human Animals)" has the best title though

Brap, brap, old chap.

• thelzdking 16 Feb 2010 15:31:53 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    Propagandhi

"The State Lottery" springs instantly to mind.

and "Less Talk, More Rock" is brilliant in it's own little way.

Their second album is the way to go although their first is good also.

Edit: "Apparently, I'm A "P.C. Facist" (Because I Care About Both Human And Non-Human Animals)" has the best title though

Propagandhi are awesome. So are the Weakerthans. Just remembered Against Me! who are awesome as well.
  • AHiFi 16 Feb 2010 17:54:07 1,665 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Currently listening to Into the Valley by The Skids. They were quite good. Big Country were better though, but not punk obviously.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2010 19:48:11
    QotSAfan wrote:
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:

Cant say i have read it. Looking at it though, seems a very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation! Oh, Jim Morrision is also involved \o/

Coke/heroin fueled excess from a man that was in the midst of it all. One of the best rock n roll books I've ever read. A part where a car crashes through someones roof is particularly lol worthy (and it all allegedly happened)

Jim is in it for a bit but the parts where Iggy is present steal the show completely
  • redcrayon 17 Feb 2010 08:09:25 4,573 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    redcrayon wrote:
    Dead Kennedys.

Really? While Jello Biafra is an interesting man if you listen to him speak, the DCs only have about 20 songs that they just recycled with new lyrics all the time.

Hey Smuggo, If the thread title was 'best punk band', I'd agree with you entirely, but as it's 'favourite', there's no accounting for taste.

For arguments sake, I think The Clash were much better, but Biafra's ranting reminds me of good times.

/good times for me personally, not the stuff he was ranting about!
  • AHiFi 17 Feb 2010 08:16:51 1,665 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:

Coke/heroin fueled excess from a man that was in the midst of it all. One of the best rock n roll books I've ever read. A part where a car crashes through someones roof is particularly lol worthy (and it all allegedly happened)

Jim is in it for a bit but the parts where Iggy is present steal the show completely

If you like reading books from those in the midst of it all, try Eric Burdon's 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'. Superb stuff, my favourite part of which involves himself, a pistol, a chandelier, Jim Morrison and a bunch of groupies.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2010 13:13:51
    @Blaketown, thanks for the reccommendations, im enjoying :)

btw, has anybody apart from myself mentioned the awesomeness that is Millencolin? Such a brilliant ska/punkrock band!

• Pike 17 Feb 2010 13:27:36 13,447 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still Refused for me, although Fugazi also deserve to be mentioned.
  • Gartt 17 Feb 2010 13:46:19 1,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    @Blaketown, thanks for the reccommendations, im enjoying :)

btw, has anybody apart from myself mentioned the awesomeness that is Millencolin? Such a brilliant ska/punkrock band!

I used to quite like Millencolin but a poor performance when I saw them live put me off. I still love Fox though, great track

Ive gotta throw Frenzal Rhomb into the mix, I used to love those guys! I remember seeing them live in XLs nightclub in birmingham and there were about 30 people there total, was an awesome night they let a few ppl get up and sing the last song with em. They were playin with Useless ID and Slow Gherkin. Such an intimate gig, awesome!
  • Deleted user 17 February 2010 13:59:34
    I was gonna mention Useless I.D, Mouse in a Maze is an awesome song \o/

Their more power pop than punk these days though.
  • 46matt 17 Feb 2010 15:22:21 132 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Millencolin circa 2000-2002, pure awesomeness! Also seen no mention of Pennywise yet, admittedly most albums sound the same but they have some tunes.
  • richardiox 17 Feb 2010 15:32:08 5,732 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pennywise, Millencolin, Strike Anywhere, Propagandhi

The rest are all more veering towards hardcore - Gorilla Biscuits, Refused, Youth of Today etc etc whatevs
  • Page

of 9 First / Last