Good Stand-Up Comedians Page 6

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• daithi90 1 Jul 2008 01:51:51 3,283 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Props for the Reg Hunter love!
    Jason Rouse is good is you like immature, offensive humour.
    Stephen Lynch is fantastic too.
    Ross Noble is a genius when it comes to improv.
    As for comedians from here I'd recommend Colin Murphy, Dylan Moran, Ed Byrne (Sorry elredeyegrande), Jason Byrne, Andrew Stanley and (if you can stick him) Tommy Tiernan has a HUGE following!
    My favourite would be Rich Hall though.

/is chairman of UCD Comedy Soc.

• ilmaestro 1 Jul 2008 02:08:38 32,407 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Mitch Hedberg, hadn't heard of him until two weeks ago, now I've listened and watched everything of his that's available, including some radio interviews he did. This guy has such a brilliant way of delivering his lines, absolute shame the guy died he could've been huge.
    Glad to hear more people are being introduced to Mitch's tragically small body of work. Just an unbelievably talented guy, I still laugh at all his stuff even when just repeating it to myself in my head.

Demetri Martin, king of the one liner, very sharp very clever, and yet very aware of his own shortcomings, despite being one hell of a talented performer. On my list to see live asap. Has had jokes stolen by Dane Cook, but Demetri does them better.
    Also like him a lot. A lot of his jokes are very Mitch in their style, too, for me.

• cubbymoore 1 Jul 2008 02:25:33 36,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Mitch Hedberg, hadn't heard of him until two weeks ago, now I've listened and watched everything of his that's available, including some radio interviews he did. This guy has such a brilliant way of delivering his lines, absolute shame the guy died he could've been huge.
    Glad to hear more people are being introduced to Mitch's tragically small body of work. Just an unbelievably talented guy, I still laugh at all his stuff even when just repeating it to myself in my head.
    I've been telling a few of his jokes to my friends and the only way to do them justice is to impersonate him. I do a really good impression of him apparently.

He's certainly made me reassess how I tell my own jokes in my own act, and that says a lot. I can't think of any other performer that's made me think "hmm how would he say that?" when writing my own material.

Wish I'd discovered him sooner now.
  • ilmaestro 1 Jul 2008 02:38:01 32,407 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got an ant farm... them fuckers didn't grow shit! I said you could at least grow some celery... plus, if I pulled your legs off, you would look like snowmen.

• billythekid 18 Nov 2009 14:28:49 11,092 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Off to Reading tonight to see Kevin Bloody Wilson \o/
    Saw him once before and he was great, might have to remind him who won the Ashes too.
  • espadachin 18 Nov 2009 14:31:56 2,210 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I recommend Louis CK, youtube him, hes rather funny.
  • gang_of_bitches 18 Nov 2009 15:00:09 5,447 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Recently saw Dan Antopolski, who was in a few things about 5 years ago and then went off to have a family but has now returned. It helps that he's one of those people who just looks funny and while he doesn't exactly push any comedy boundaries his set is very amusing and polished.

Also saw Rob Brydon (the ONLY good thing about Gavin and Stacey) in the summer and he was surprisingly and satisfyingly cruel, absolutely savaged this divorced lady and her daughter in the audience.
  • ecureuil 18 Nov 2009 15:06:07 76,651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Two of my three favourite comedians are dead. (those three being Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg and Louis CK)
  • mrpon 18 Nov 2009 15:43:13 28,700 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    espadachin wrote:
    I recommend Louis CK, youtube him, hes rather funny.
    Good shout, been pissing myself.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Razz 18 Nov 2009 15:49:56 60,993 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can't say I like Louis CK, he's too angry. Not funny angry, just angry. :/

I'm off to see Eddie Izzard in a few weeks, very excited. I saw his stand up for the first time a couple weeks back for the first time, the one about Cake of death. Very funny.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• ecureuil 18 Nov 2009 15:56:23 76,651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think he's funny. He's passionate, that's what I like about him. Even if his jokes aren't the funniest jokes ever, he believes in them so much, you believe in them too.
  • mrpon 18 Nov 2009 15:57:24 28,700 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The "Why?" bit on that link is great.

:D

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• ecureuil 18 Nov 2009 15:59:23 76,651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Best Louis CK gig is One Night Stand.
  • BinaryBob101 18 Nov 2009 16:08:08 22,635 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Eddie Izzard was bloody great a couple of weeks ago when I saw him at the MEN.

You'll have a great time Razz.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• nick303 18 Nov 2009 16:34:02 1,526 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw Eddie Izzard at the MEN a few weeks back as well. It was a great night, very funny :D
  • markypants 18 Nov 2009 16:58:04 2,702 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phil Kay. He'll be on this Saturdays Russell Howard's Good News show as the guest stand up. He's barking mad, but very very funny. Apparently he can go either way, but he was outstanding.
  • Genji 14 Sep 2010 02:54:01 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I only just started listening to him, but yeah... another vote for Mitch Hedburg. Just my kind of humor, and I am now gutted that he died 5 years ago. What a tragedy.
  • Genji 14 Sep 2010 03:45:49 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Xylophone is spelled with an X, that's wrong, xylophone's zzzz, X? I don't fuckin' see it. It should be a Z up front, next time you have to spell xylophone, use a Z. When someone says, "Hey that's wrong," say, "No it ain't. If you think that's wrong, you need to get your head Z-rayed." It's like X wasn't given enough to do, so they had to promise it more. Okay, you don't start a lot of words, but we'll give you a co-starring role in tic-tac-toe. And you will be acquainted with hugs and kisses. And you will mark the spot. And you will make writing Christmas easier. And incidentally, you will start xylophone. Are you happy, you fuckin' X?!"
  • whoyouknow 15 Sep 2010 00:54:57 163 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Louis CK, Stewart Lee, David Cross, Emo Philips, Jim Norton, Simon Munnery, Tony Law, Michael Redmond.

That pretty much covers it as far as I'm concerned.
  • daithi90 18 Sep 2010 05:31:54 3,283 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    whoyouknow wrote:
    Louis CK, Stewart Lee, David Cross, Emo Philips, Jim Norton, Simon Munnery, Tony Law, Michael Redmond.

+1

Although I'd add Dara O'Briain and Dylan Moran too. Never been big on Dara's stuff on Panel shows (apart from HIGNFY) but his live show is 2 hours of brilliance.

I really like Zach Galfianakis's stand up too.
  • daithi90 18 Sep 2010 05:33:19 3,283 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha, just noticed my post from July '08; I'd not started doing stand up back then and hadn't even all that deep of a knowledge of comedy. /nostalgic :)
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Sep 2010 09:38:21 23,709 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw Danny Bhoy at Edinburgh Festival and thought he was ace.

We're celebrating 75 years of Batman - and here's my look back at Rocksteady's Arkham series.

• PES_Fanboy 18 Sep 2010 10:51:18 14,524 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dyl Spinks. "Let's talk about..............mice!"
  • Metalfish 18 Sep 2010 11:15:00 8,818 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw Bill Bailey last night. I'd call him back on form after a slightly disappointing Wembley-based gig. His riffing on the catholic church's recent description of Britain was hilarious. He seemed very comfortable on a small stage and has toned down the amount of "technically impressive but not actually jokes" content too.
  • Destria 18 Sep 2010 12:21:02 2,823 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not enough Richard Herrin(g) mentions in this thread.
  • whoyouknow 18 Sep 2010 22:27:35 163 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Destria wrote:
    Not enough Richard Herrin(g) mentions in this thread.
    I was at the Hitler Moustache Gofasterstripe taping and it was the best thing he's ever done, but I haven't really gone for any of his other shows.

I'd also like to add Robin Ince to my list.

Saw Dylan Moran twice and he was excellent both times but I don't know what went wrong the night he taped What It Is because it was approximately 500% less funny than the exact same show I saw at Manchester Palace Theatre.
  • Blaketown 18 Sep 2010 22:43:38 4,645 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    daithi90 wrote:
    whoyouknow wrote:

+1

Although I'd add Dara O'Briain and Dylan Moran too. Never been big on Dara's stuff on Panel shows (apart from HIGNFY) but his live show is 2 hours of brilliance.

I really like Zach Galfianakis's stand up too.

+1 on all of this. Zack is tops.

I'd add Daniel Kitson and Benson Burns to the list too.

Demitri Martin is a good shout too I liked his Person DVD a lot.

Love Stanhope too but I'll concede he's not for everyone although neither is Demitri Martin but for almost exactly opposite reasons.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 18 September 2010 23:07:51
    Stanhope's great and Mark Thomas was fantastic back in the day. Recently saw Dave Longley who was absolutely class.

• faux_carnation 19 Sep 2010 00:25:17 9,172 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Simon Munnery is consistently amazingly brilliant.

Daniel Kitson is unbelievably good (though not necessarily described as "stand up").

Best new thing at the Fringe this year was Asher Treleaven - he was really very funny.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last