Firefly / Serenity Page 4

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• Freek 10 May 2005 16:01:03 7,684 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    oneiros wrote:
    I noticed that the Browncoats forum has the obligatory "fave firefly female" thread and that surprisingly, Kaylee was taking the majority of the votes. Then it occurred to me that Joss has created a character with a similar level of appeal as Buffy's Willow and Angel's 'Fred; quirky, cute and slightly vulnerable. I'd guess that these characters are more appealing to the genre fanbois that the unobtainable beauty of say Inara or Zoe (and therefore by extension, Buffy or Cordelia). Myself included. ;)

I see what you mean. But then Inara is obtainable, for a price ;)

There's that and there's the "lets have the really sexy girl play the nerd" hollywood line of thinking. "See, she has glasses, that means she's ugly!"

• eviltobz  10 May 2005 16:04:07 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    as riffed upon in not another teen movie after passing over the albino and the conjoined twins, "janey briggs? but she wears glasses!"

/takes note of tt's post

/saves up
  • Shivoa 10 May 2005 16:05:29 5,677 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    eviltobz wrote:
    to be honest, it's not really sci-fi, it's just a sci-fi setting for interesting people to lead interesting lives. and it's piss cheap with sendit.com currently doing it for £12.99
    TBH almost any worthwhile SciFi is actually just drama but set is some more farflung scenery than normal. It is obvious when you think about it but what you actually want to do is make a good drama or comedy or whatever show and if it happens to be scifi you get a bit more freedom in some areas but also the restrictions that it can put on budget to pull that off and not fall down a rabbit hole into absurdity.

Guess ti comes back to the early scifi writings. A lot of it was morality stories and fables retold with interesting surroundsing and that has led a lot of scifi to end up being more about showing the interesting scenery and regurgitation cliche'd setups that in concentrating on the real guts of the content.
  • oneiros 10 May 2005 16:10:17 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    But a Companion *chooses* her clients... ;P
  • Freek 10 May 2005 16:19:59 7,684 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oneiros wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    But a Companion *chooses* her clients... ;P

"What? I'm playing a hooker? No way!"

"No, no, prostitute, see it's the whole wild west theme I've got going here"

"Uhuh I don't think so. Josh, you're gonna need to rewrite that character."
  • eviltobz  10 May 2005 16:38:20 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    josh? JOSH!!!!!

oooooh, how dare you!
  • oneiros 3 Jun 2005 08:15:12 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shiny review at Development Hell...
  • bloke 3 Jun 2005 10:37:47 1,489 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm excited.

It would be so nice never to have watched the TV series, just so I could watch it for the first time all over again.
  • eviltobz  3 Jun 2005 13:08:34 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    but it's also nice to watch the series having watched both it and the commentaries so you can pick up on more stuff. like just what is in inara's syringey thing for example.
  • bloke 3 Jun 2005 15:14:39 1,489 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    eviltobz  wrote:
    but it's also nice to watch the series having watched both it and the commentaries so you can pick up on more stuff. like just what is in inara's syringey thing for example.

Yes - you're right. I just need to watch them all again. Maybe wait until nearer the time of the movie.....???
  • Scimarad 3 Jun 2005 19:59:11 8,636 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, I'm kind of getting turned off Serenity by a lot of the advance screening reviews. While they are almost all positive it sounds like JW has done his typical thing and made it much more dark and depressing. Er, no thanks if that is the case.
  • Tricky 4 Jun 2005 00:26:30 4,485 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Hmm, I'm kind of getting turned off Serenity by a lot of the advance screening reviews. While they are almost all positive it sounds like JW has done his typical thing and made it much more dark and depressing. Er, no thanks if that is the case.

Nah bollocks - he's just taken the River storyline to its logical conclusion. Okay so he's had to compact it into a single film rather than the last half of a series so things might feel a bit more "dense" but what other choice did he have?

I've only seen one "meh" review of the film so far and that sounded like it was written by someone who had a sense of humour and taste bypass.

The only people I can see this going by are those who aren't browncoats so I reckon it's up to us converts to get about showing other people this fantastic series on DVD. I mean... I know I haven't seen my DVDs for the best part of a year now because they've been out on loan to various people, but at least I know I'm doing my part ;-)

I'm seriously thinking about buying it again because I really want to see it again before the film comes out and I don't think I'll get my DVDs back before then (they were over in London recently but I'm told they've now been lent to someone else so I've no idea where they are now).
  • reflux 4 Jun 2005 00:30:03 1,804 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Watched three episodes so far. Does it get any better later on? :I
  • Tricky 4 Jun 2005 00:37:35 4,485 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, absolutely - it's a slow burner of a show which is why it got cancelled. Just go with it and the characters and the writing will slowly get to you.

Of course if it doesn't then you're dead inside ;-)
  • Whizzo 4 Jun 2005 00:48:58 43,358 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some people just don't appear to get it, never mind reflux perhaps it's not for you...

You are dead inside of course. ;-)

This space left intentionally blank.

• Dirtbox 4 Jun 2005 00:56:34 79,205 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It gets funnier, watch Jaynestown, it had me in stitches.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• bloke 4 Jun 2005 01:15:39 1,489 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    reflux wrote:
    Watched three episodes so far. Does it get any better later on? :I

keep watching it - it'll get to you eventually ;-)
  • reflux 4 Jun 2005 18:32:35 1,804 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Didn't say I didn't like it, it's ok but I just found the first episodes a bit um.. "simple". Will watch the rest but I just wondered what all the ranting was about. I quite fancy the engineer girlie though :p
  • terminalterror 4 Jun 2005 18:55:28 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    reflux wrote:
    I quite fancy the engineer girlie though :p

Thats the real reason we rave about it. Her and Inara. And Saffron too.
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Jun 2005 19:06:45 1,779 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    reflux wrote:

Kaylee

• O-Fox 4 Jun 2005 20:19:18 597 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It gets funnier, watch Jaynestown, it had me in stitches.
    Ah, but there's the thing - it only had you in stitches because by then you had gotten to know the characters better. Another reason why it didn't do well on Fox - they ran it in the wrong order, so it was doomed to fail.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Jul 2005 11:37:53 26,615 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks guys.

Bought the DVD set the other week (£12 too - bargainous) after reading this thread, and finally got around to watching it this weekend, and it is brilliant! I've got through the first 7 episodes and after a slow but good start, the last 2 I watched (Mrs Reynold's something and Jaynestown) were absolutely fantastic, Wheedon at his best.

Top stuff.
  • spindizzy 11 Jul 2005 12:22:44 6,611 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watched a few of them again recently and noticed there's no commentary on the last one ... probably it was explained before but does anyone know why?

I really, really hope JW has managed to make this accessible to the masses (so we get more Firefly goodness in the future ... films'll do)
  • Grunk 11 Jul 2005 12:45:44 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    reflux wrote:

Kaylee

I'm an engineer,

Engineering chicks do not look like that, trust me, if they did I would be very happy.
  • marilena 11 Jul 2005 12:49:55 8,203 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Grunk wrote:
    I'm an engineer,

Engineering chicks do not look like that, trust me, if they did I would be very happy.

What frustrated me at the uni was that the chicks in my year were mostly unattractive, but the ones from the following year were mostly gorgeous! Well, I don't know if "mostly" but several were not just pretty, but absolutely stunning. Weird thing, that.
  • Whizzo 11 Jul 2005 12:51:45 43,358 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Grunk wrote: Engineering chicks do not look like that, trust me, if they did I would be very happy.
    She's an engineer on a spaceship which doesn't exist either! ;-)

This space left intentionally blank.

• ssuellid 11 Jul 2005 12:56:11 19,141 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    First episode was shit but since then its got a lot better - still hate the music and not keen on the wild west stylings but its very funny and well written - just watched the hospital raid episode on SciFi.
  • Grunk 11 Jul 2005 13:04:25 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    Grunk wrote:
    I'm an engineer,

What frustrated me at the uni was that the chicks in my year were mostly unattractive, but the ones from the following year were mostly gorgeous! Well, I don't know if "mostly" but several were not just pretty, but absolutely stunning. Weird thing, that.

Heh,

I thought you were a bird, judging by your handle,
    actually thinking about it, maybe you are :>

This is also true of Purley, south London. Until I left to go to Uni, very few attractive ladies.

Over the past few years when I return at christmas, wall to wall totty. I don't know what's happened

(there's a possibility that they heard I'd left town, and it was safe to come out though)
  • marilena 11 Jul 2005 13:11:56 8,203 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Grunk wrote:
    I thought you were a bird, judging by your handle, actually thinking about it, maybe you are.

Nah, I'm a guy. The stupid nickname has a story, wich is also stupid, so I'm not telling it. I used to claim I'm a girl in the begining, but then I met the guys at ECTS in London and they sort of figured it out :).
  • Grunk 11 Jul 2005 13:13:53 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    Grunk wrote:
    I thought you were a bird, judging by your handle, actually thinking about it, maybe you are.

Nah, I'm a guy. The stupid nickname has a story, wich is also stupid, so I'm not telling it. I used to claim I'm a girl in the begining, but then I met the guys at ECTS in London and they sort of figured it out :).

Dammit, the internet missinforms me yet again!!!

And I thought it would never happen
  • Page

of 52 First / Last