Nintendo Switch Page 3

• Page

of 692 First / Last

• Psiloc 17 Mar 2015 12:49:22 3,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dolly wrote:
    I'd be quite happy with a Nintendo type of 'Onlive' box that I could play all their greatest hits on through the telly.
    Well the form (and cost) is different but the VC did this and did it well.
  • JoelStinty 17 Mar 2015 12:53:38 5,200 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The best case scenario is that Nintendo have realised that the Wii was a fluke and that they need to just make a dedicated, reasonably powerful gaming console. I imagine Nintendo bosses are looking at the amount of PS4's and XB1's being sold and they're quite jealous.

All this "NX" needs to be is a Nintendo console with a similar/slightly better spec than the PS4/XB1 - plus it needs a proper controller, no gamepad or waggle stick bollocks. I imagine if it has full backwards compatibility with the Wii U then that would make the Wii U owners happier too.

If that's what the "NX" is, Nintendo will be back in business.
    Does anyone need a third console that does exactly the same thing as the other two? I don't see third parties coming back to support them just because they have a more powerful system and I don't see the general public being convinced by it either. It doesn't make sense on any level.

I think it's more likely they'd release a system without the gimmicks, but significantly less powerful than the PS4/Xbone with a major focus on first party games, mobile integration, amiibo support and things like that.
    The reason why the Wii U has flopped is because 3rd party publishers aren't supporting it - if this new console has the same spec as the PS4/XB1 but has all the first party Nintendo games usually make, it's the best of both worlds.

In short, it makes complete sense.
    I'm not convinced third party would ever properly make a firm commitment to putting games on a nintendo machine. They never really have after the Snes. There's nothing from putting current games on the wii u. Most games are cross generational and appearing on the PS3/360.
  • Dolly 17 Mar 2015 12:54:03 3,477 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If by 'did it well' you mean trickled the games through at a snails pace for too much money, then maybe. I'd be happy to pay a Netflix-type subscription for this though to have the full catalogue and any new games on the go, is what I probably should have said.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 Mar 2015 12:54:51 30,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The reason why the Wii U has flopped is because 3rd party publishers aren't supporting it - if this new console has the same spec as the PS4/XB1 but has all the first party Nintendo games usually make, it's the best of both worlds.
    Wouldn't that essentially be the Gamecube then? It had specs similar to the others and had a generous amount of third party multi-format stuff plus the usual Nintendo stuff. Don't get me wrong, it sold better than the Wii U is likely to so I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing as far as business decisions go.

If it was me, I'd be trying to match specs almost exactly with one of the others to make porting multi-format stuff as easy as possible, though with maybe a little more power.
  • Psiloc 17 Mar 2015 13:08:51 3,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dolly VC is pretty well stocked now but I don't disagree about the prices. Got no problem with a subscription format but I don't see them doing an Onlive, it would be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut when the majority of the ROMs could be transferred to a HDD in less than 10MB.

PS+ but Nintendo maybe? Then again I don't understand why they'd need new hardware to do that beyond maybe a rebranding excersise - which is possible.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Mar 2015 13:11:37 5,819 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    There's nothing from putting current games on the wii u. Most games are cross generational and appearing on the PS3/360.
    Aside from the fact that they would sell exactly no copies.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 13:14:46 19,673 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The best case scenario is that Nintendo have realised that the Wii was a fluke and that they need to just make a dedicated, reasonably powerful gaming console. I imagine Nintendo bosses are looking at the amount of PS4's and XB1's being sold and they're quite jealous.

All this "NX" needs to be is a Nintendo console with a similar/slightly better spec than the PS4/XB1 - plus it needs a proper controller, no gamepad or waggle stick bollocks. I imagine if it has full backwards compatibility with the Wii U then that would make the Wii U owners happier too.

If that's what the "NX" is, Nintendo will be back in business.
    Does anyone need a third console that does exactly the same thing as the other two? I don't see third parties coming back to support them just because they have a more powerful system and I don't see the general public being convinced by it either. It doesn't make sense on any level.

I think it's more likely they'd release a system without the gimmicks, but significantly less powerful than the PS4/Xbone with a major focus on first party games, mobile integration, amiibo support and things like that.

In short, it makes complete sense.
    Nintendo could build a 10TFLOP/s insanely powered machine and Western 3rd parties still wouldn’t bother their arse with it.
  • MoralMajority 17 Mar 2015 14:13:04 33 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can't see this being a new home core console. I don't think Nintendo would be foolish to announce a new console which will undermine the already weak market of the Wii U. I was planning to get a Wii U this year but won't be until this is cleared up.
  • MoralMajority 17 Mar 2015 14:13:05 33 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • You-can-call-me-kal 17 Mar 2015 14:16:16 7,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Nintendo could build a 10TFLOP/s insanely powered machine and Western 3rd parties still wouldn’t bother their arse with it.
    Why? They support the handhelds don't they?

They'll make games for any machine that has a fighting chance of selling shit loads of units.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 14:24:49 31,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MoralMajority wrote:
    I can't see this being a new home core console. I don't think Nintendo would be foolish to announce a new console which will undermine the already weak market of the Wii U. I was planning to get a Wii U this year but won't be until this is cleared up.
    You've got at least 2 years until their next console came out. Considering the WiiU came out in 2012, that's 5 years on the market which is normal.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 14:26:37 31,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And yeah, publishers and developers don't avoid putting their games on WiiU because "FUCK YOU NINTENDO". They avoid putting their games on WiiU because they would sell fuck all. Yeah it's a circle, but if the WiiU was selling gangbusters (or even averagely) there would be more third-party devs on it.

Publishers care about making money, end of.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 Mar 2015 14:33:18 30,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heck, with some publishers we were lucky getting what we did. Ubisoft stuck with it longer than I'd have thought when they released Watch Dogs, which I was pretty sure would end up cancelled because I couldn't see it selling well at all. Same with CoD Ghosts, I didn't think that'd happen.

Edited by DFawkes at 14:34:11 17-03-2015
  • aros 17 Mar 2015 14:35:44 4,260 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, they don't support the handhelds. Weird post.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 14:41:58 19,673 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gus wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Why? They support the handhelds don't they?

They'll make games for any machine that has a fighting chance of selling shit loads of units.
    Nintendo consoles are toxic to Western 3rd party devs, they’ve been pissed off by Nintendo for generations.
    They barely support the 3DS and mostly sell fuck all, even the Wii got pitiful support despite selling gangbusters.
  • Saul_Iscariot 17 Mar 2015 14:43:37 2,838 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Isn't that because western developed games just suck?
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 14:45:01 31,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Wii got plenty of shitty mini games. They didn't get many of the major games that came out on other consoles because of forced motion controls (yes I know there was the pro controller but hardly anyone had one of those in the grand scheme of things).

If Nintendo made a console on par with PS4/Xbox one with a regular controller, I don't see why they wouldn't port it across.
  • Saul_Iscariot 17 Mar 2015 14:47:42 2,838 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Because they wouldn't sell. If a Nintendo console sells well or not third party games rarely do. Certainly the ones that should sell well don't seem to.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 14:51:14 31,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    Because they wouldn't sell. If a Nintendo console sells well or not third party games rarely do. Certainly the ones that should sell well don't seem to.
    But there's not been fair console parity since the Gamecube. Both the Wii and WiiU were a gen behind. The Wii had weird controls that made many PS3/Xbox 360 games unplayable and the WiiU got a whole bunch of games that were years old by the time they launched. Hardly surprising they didn't sell.

If the "NX" sold well and was on par with other consoles with normal controller, of course the games would sell.
  • Daryoon 17 Mar 2015 16:35:17 5,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Third parties supported the 3/DS? Japanese third parties, maybe.
  • Psiloc 17 Mar 2015 18:11:59 3,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Actually I take back my comment about them not doing an OnLive. It probably won't happen but if it did there's one pretty good reason: if they wanted to developers could go full blown AAA PS4 calibre with their games and Nintendo could do it on a "withered technology" box that cost them £20 to manufacture.

It would also skirt around the "investment on return" problem third parties have with Nintendo - all they have to do is dump a PC copy of their game on Nintendo's servers and forget about it. If no one buys it who cares, they were making the PC version of the game anyway.

Of course the elephant in the room is that streaming gameplay is hardly Nintendo's forte.
  • Daryoon 17 Mar 2015 18:50:17 5,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's an even bigger elephant in the "streaming gameplay" room, which is "what about all those people with shitty connections because they don't live in [insert Major City here]?".

Or, indeed, no connection at all.
  • Gitsmith 17 Mar 2015 19:16:45 311 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hope they've had a good look at Valves gamepad, before adding their own strange alchemy and feeding it through the 'Nintendotronic magic-infuser' - that they definitely have.

Couple that with some contemporary system specs along with third party support and I'd throw my money at them.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 19:20:49
    I am intrigued as to what it might be. I do not want it to be just like the PS4/Xbox one. Ie similar specs. Same multi plats etc. I've already got 3 platforms that do that already. I quite like the idea of a tablet like device used for streaming. As people have mentioned a Netflix for Nintendo. All the library. Well all the decent stuff available for a monthly/annual sub.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 19:21:54
    Or forget what I said make it like the PS4 but more powerful and launch with Half life 3 and Dark Souls 3 exclusives lol.
  • superbob85 17 Mar 2015 19:29:31 7,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Interesting to see if nintendo go for a super powered machine.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 19:35:36
    Are we all forgetting that they're working on an 'all new concept' for this next system? I doubt it'll be a straight up copy of the current consoles. I hope not, anyway...
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 19:44:07
    Off topic but what happened to LLbro?
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 20:00:50 19,673 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    Off topic but what happened to LLbro?
    GIed a couple of months back.
  • Page

of 692 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.