Nintendo Switch Page 811

• Page

of 816 First / Last

• DangerousDave_87 12 Oct 2017 20:40:52 2,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @DangerousDave_87

I've read a few Yono reviews from minor sites. It seems to be a charming, fairly straight forward exploration and puzzle based game with collectibles. Nothing outstanding, basically a classic 7/10 game that's decent enough. About 3 to 5 hours in length. I'll probably get it once I complete a few more games. I'm delighted to see more indie games come to the eshop.
    That's a tiny shame, but I was sold when I saw that trailer. It'll definitely be going on the shopping list. Just got to finish Steamworld and Golf Story first!
  • rice_sandwich 12 Oct 2017 20:47:49 2,868 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

My wife just made me buy it. I'm playing it now. It's very cute and I'm enjoying it so far. It looks to be a fairly easy game. I'll update more in the weekend.
  • Addy_B 12 Oct 2017 20:59:34 1,058 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    What's flame in the flood like? I'm torn between buying that or steamworld dig 2 at the moment.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Oct 2017 21:41:10 2,868 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yono reminds me of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, in that it's a room based puzzler. You typically have to find a key to a door using various powers to collect, throw or push and pull boxes/objects and turn waterwheels by blowing air or water. It could be a good game for parents to play with kids. It's not super difficult but neither is it extremely simple. I'm basing these comments on 30 minutes of play fwiw and I've already been stuck a couple of times.
  • Derblington 12 Oct 2017 22:05:02 29,191 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fuck, are Yono and Flame in the Flood both out now? I'm playing Stardew Valley and Mario is out in 2 weeks, not to mention my other console and the huge backlog I already have, plus the other Switch titles I already want.

It's gotten ridiculous.

Edited by Derblington at 22:05:19 12-10-2017
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Oct 2017 22:16:47 2,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @rice_sandwich Cheers for that. I still think I'm sold simply because of the run animation.
  • richyroo 12 Oct 2017 22:28:49 75 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok guys, need your help. Im seriously thinking about buying the switch as I think the time is now to jump in. However I just have some concerns/questions I am hoping you can help with:

1. When in docked mode, is it worth buying the pro controller or is the included controller comfy and decent to use? The pro controller is quite expensive and so would seriously push up the price.

2. How comfy is the switch to use in handheld mode? Whats it like compared to a controller etc or a standard 3ds (that thing was horrible).

3. Will I need extra memory? I guess I would buy all AAA titles on disc, but I like indie games and dont mind downloading.

P.S. I am sold on the switch and games, I guess the main issue is the accessories which would push up the price. Which ones are essential etc? Thanks in advance for your help. Might buy one this weekened?
  • ghearoid 12 Oct 2017 22:36:17 2,548 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've had my Switch since June and haven't bought anything for it except a couple of games. The joycon are perfectly comfortable.

Get it, then decide later if you need anything else.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 12 Oct 2017 22:41:25 6,543 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1. It's definitely worth it, it's an excellent pad and much better than what you get in the box. But, it's not absolutely essential, you could easily just get one down the line.

2. I find it really comfortable. Some people don't like it but I could use it undocked all day long.

3. You can get away without a memory card if you're buying the AAA games on cart. I have a lot of Switch games and I'm nowhere even approaching full. But again, it's something you can get along the way.

As for essential accessories I'd say #1 is probably a decent case. Then #2 a pro controller. If you'll be playing on TV a lot it really is worth it.
  • Addy_B 12 Oct 2017 22:44:20 1,058 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Yeah as above. If it's going to be docked a lot then get the pro controller. It's not essential but I find it a fair bit better than the joycons.
  • richardiox 12 Oct 2017 22:45:43 6,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I just got a tenner screen protector and a 64gb memory card (there's 32gb built in too). Been good since the start of the summer.

Find I play 90% of the time in handheld mode, even when the TV is free and I could play docked. Like being able to sit with the game right in my face. Despite being 720p I can see a lot more detail than on my 32" 1080p TV which is about 8ft away.

It's not like the comfyest to hold to be fair but that hasn't stopped me using it more than my other systems. Getting WAY more gaming in now.

Zelda is a masterpiece, Mario out this month plus Steamworld Dig 2, Golf Story and Stardew Valley digital. Vostok Inc out soon too. Indie devs seem to be flocking to it.

As if you're not buying one!
  • Inertia 12 Oct 2017 22:47:27 694 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A case will be needed if you take it outside the house. The pro controller is worth getting but you can decide if its essential for you when you have had a go with the joy cons detached.

As for SD card again you don't really need one to begin with. I haves Splatoon 2, ARMS, Snake Pass, and about ten more games digitally and I still have about 9gb free so I could download Mario odyssey and still have about 3gb spare.
  • richyroo 12 Oct 2017 22:55:30 75 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the advice guys. i think when Mario is released and the inevetible rave reviews, I just wont be able to stop myself! :)
  • THFourteen 12 Oct 2017 23:51:18 45,747 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1) The pro controller massively improves the experience but not worth £65 IMO. I paid 35 on a deal for mine so worth it.

2) so so. I played hours of Xenoblade on my 3DS XL with no hand cramp. Games that donít make HUGE use of the right stick are absolutely fine. Stuff like FPS I think would give me hand cramps because the right stick and buttons are in totally the wrong place. The unit also suffers from not being clamshell because if you are sitting normally eg on a train seat you end up hunched over it.

3) memory cards are pretty cheap now, get one later for indie games youíll need it as not all are physical eg Stardew Valley
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Oct 2017 00:22:28 2,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    For what it's worth, although I love the Pro Controller, I really like the Joy Con as well. It was my controller of choice for all 190 hours of Zelda and 40-odd of Mario Kart. Its really light and the lack of d-pad doesn't really hurt (Unless you're playing beat'em ups).

As others have said, it's a great controller, but see how you get on with the Joy Con first. You might be more than happy with those.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Oct 2017 05:18:24 2,868 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I haven't bought a pro controller as I'm happy with playing with the grip. I'll might buy one when it's around £30 but I'm not too bothered.It's really nice to use split joycons in docked mode in some games.

I didn't get a memory card right away. Wait until you actually need one. The only accessory I'd recommend right away is a screen protector. Most indie games are 1gb or less downloads so you can fit quite a few games before you'll need to upgrade the storage.
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Oct 2017 06:46:10 1,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Let's see, I have a screen protector (orzly), case, 128GB memory card, extra set of joycons, 4 joycon grips, a pro controller and a stand.

I'd say if you are just playing docked you need none of it other than maybe joy con grips for multiplayer.

Screen protector is essential for piece of mind if you will be taking out to play as is a case that is the right size for your accessories. The orzly screen protector is very high quality and doesn't make your device look cheap and shitty.

Im far from begining to need my memory and like those above have a fair few digital titles.

The pro controller is lovely in the hand and although split joycon gaming is indeed great for big aaa games on the tv i prefer the pro. So essentially get it if you would rather it than a game or two extra to start with.

The stand is good for gaming for a long time when in a single location like a plane as it allows the charging at the same time.

Enjoy it you will, this console is awesome!
  • brigadier 13 Oct 2017 09:26:32 908 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Squareboy vs Bullies

Second beat 'em up in as many days. This one is crap. Well, boring. Once a mobile game, it doesn't make the transition very well and a was pretty much bored throughout the hour and a half campaign. Not recommended.

http://whataboutthegame.com/2017/10/13/squareboy-vs-bullies-switch-review

• ecu 13 Oct 2017 09:34:06 80,048 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used the joy cons detached (one in each hand) for almost all of the 150 hours or so I spent with BotW. Iíd keep them connected to the console when playing in portable mode though.
  • dominalien 13 Oct 2017 09:46:20 8,254 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecu wrote:
    I used the joy cons detached (one in each hand) for almost all of the 150 hours or so I spent with BotW. Iíd keep them connected to the console when playing in portable mode though.
    This. Using the joycons one in each hand is incredibly comfortable.
  • Ferx 13 Oct 2017 10:16:04 233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @richyroo it's worth mentioning that the shortages might return with the release of Odyssey.
  • RichDC 13 Oct 2017 10:30:41 7,508 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    With all the hype and videos, I've broken and pre ordered this with the Switch with the red joycons.

Edited by RichDC at 10:33:10 13-10-2017
  • JoelStinty 13 Oct 2017 10:31:24 5,682 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @richyroo

I would spend a week with it before you spend anything extra and just see how you get on with it. Like above i haven't got a pro controller, the joy cons are really comfortable to use, and i love the freedom they offer. I also haven't got memory card yet either. A couple of games are big - normally third party games - but most games are tiny in size - Fast RMX is not even a gig, Graceful explosion machine is 400mb, most of Nintendo output is 3-8gb - mainly towards the 3 - only zelda is quite big taking half of what you have if you decided to go digital.

You can archive games too, where you delete the game but the icons remain on your system which i have been doing after i completed a game. But at any given time i have about 5 games on the system and that doesn't take up all the space- probably about half.

I have good and bad days with the switch in handheld mode. At first it feels odd, it is quite big for handheld, and it is a beautiful machine, but you soon get used to it. At first i had no issues with comfort, but i have started to get numb hands recently. That might how i am sitting or something though. But i have used it just as much , if not more in handheld mode than console mode.

I would get a carry case. I got a Nintendo official one which is fine. Space for carts, and its pretty non discript. Just does the job, also comes with a screen protector which hasn't even started peeling yet (had since launch). Other people have gone for the Orzly protector.

I would just own one first and then go from there for how you play, and decide if you want a battery pack, or stand (some classic games play in portrait mode for example).

Good luck with your purchase
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 Oct 2017 10:34:44 6,543 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    With all the hype and videos, I've broken and pretty ordered this with the Switch with the red joycons.
    The addition of the red joycons would make it a pretty order.
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Oct 2017 10:44:01 5,902 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As a grey owner I've been half tempted to by the separate Neons at 64 quid but really wish they'd bring the single red or blue sets to the UK.
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Oct 2017 10:56:40 2,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm going to sell my grey ones to fund a green and pink combo and for Christmas my Miss will get the red blue Switch. All the colours!!!
  • THFourteen 13 Oct 2017 11:25:01 45,747 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have the neon switch. Wanted a second pair of joycons to have a red switch or a blue switch but decided against it. £65 for extra joycons i have absolutely no need for.
  • erniewhatbert 13 Oct 2017 11:26:16 2,743 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I picked up the pro controller recently. Yeah, the split-joycon method is great in docked/tabletop mode and I wouldn't knock that, but the analogue sticks and shoulder buttons are so much nicer to use on the pro controller. It's good to have both. I wouldn't pay just for the luxury of the buttons, I bought it mainly as an extra option for local multi-player.

Edited by erniewhatbert at 11:27:15 13-10-2017
  • JiveHound 13 Oct 2017 11:37:56 8,746 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I bought the pro controller straight away but I didn't realise how much I would like using split joycons or how much I would use the thing portable.

It's really a mileage may vary thing so you're best ogf holding fire for a week or so to see how you get on without.

As for additional stuff, I have no screen protector or memory card and I've had it since April so they may not be entirely necessary to begin with. I found a carry case the most essential accessory as it made the console truly portable for me.

Edited by JiveHound at 11:38:31 13-10-2017
  • Pipedream 13 Oct 2017 11:45:52 247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I bought my pro controller for Splatoon. I found my aim was completely off with the joy cons and I couldnít get used to motion control.

Not essential but quite nice.
  • Page

of 816 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.