Nintendo Switch

• Page

of 788 First / Last

Previous
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 17 Mar 2015 08:54:21 46,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    New hardware incoming, with a "new concept". Codenamed NX.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-17-nintendo-nx-is-new-hardware-with-a-brand-new-concept
  • Saul_Iscariot 17 Mar 2015 08:58:40 2,922 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Part of me would like to get excited about this, but the last time they announced a third system it meant they killed off the GBA and ended up with two systems. I still like my Wii U, but maybe it is time for a new console. I think I need a lot more information before embracing this or writing it off.
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Mar 2015 09:05:32 38,556 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Don't know how unlikely that is, but the press release makes it sound a bit like a games streaming/on demand service thingy.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 17 Mar 2015 09:08:47 46,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Here's Nintendo's official translation of Iwata:

As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename "NX". It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year.

Nintendo, together with DeNA, will jointly develop a new membership service which encompasses the existing Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX, and smart devices and PCs, and Nintendo will be the primary party to operate this new membership service.
    Unlike the Club Nintendo membership service that Nintendo has been operating, the new membership service will include multiple devices and create a connection between Nintendo and each individual consumer regardless of the device the consumer uses. This membership will form one of the core elements of the new Nintendo platform that I just mentioned.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Mar 2015 09:11:59 6,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 09:19:03 31,968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Makes sense. If they're not going to even show off the hardware or announce any more info until next year, if it IS a new console it will probably be another year after that until it's out (at earliest) which is 2017.

New Nintendo console in 2017 seems about right.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 Mar 2015 09:21:42 31,311 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We all knew something was coming, but it does surprise me to see anything announced this early. I assume it's more to assure investors that things are moving on from Wii U rather than news for us games site visiting people.

Actually getting their account system sorted is the big news to me. Having a unified login for 3DS and Wii U, but not really being able to do much with it, has been a bit silly for a while. Bringing the service more into line with others would be an excellent step.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 09:23:35 31,968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the big news is definitely that a unified account system is on the way. Which is crazy considering every other company has had one for years, but still. Nintendo!
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 09:24:26 31,968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Haha, Nintendo announce they're going back to pre-NES technology?
  • JoelStinty 17 Mar 2015 09:31:39 5,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    We all knew something was coming, but it does surprise me to see anything announced this early. I assume it's more to assure investors that things are moving on from Wii U rather than news for us games site visiting people.

Actually getting their account system sorted is the big news to me. Having a unified login for 3DS and Wii U, but not really being able to do much with it, has been a bit silly for a while. Bringing the service more into line with others would be an excellent step.
    Yeah it seems the NX announcement was to stump out the OMG NINTENDO IS GOING MOBILE reactions. /probably wont work.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 10:03:38 20,192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Most interesting bit is this:

"Nintendo, together with DeNA, will jointly develop a new membership service which encompasses the existing Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX, and smart devices and PCs, and Nintendo will be the primary party to operate this new membership service.
    Unlike the Club Nintendo membership service that Nintendo has been operating, the new membership service will include multiple devices and create a connection between Nintendo and each individual consumer regardless of the device the consumer uses. This membership will form one of the core elements of the new Nintendo platform that I just mentioned."

So, new concept = VR?
    Another gimmick?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Mar 2015 10:07:21 6,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely another gimmick. What they're almost certainly going to do is make something with similar specs to PS4/XBone and then attach something magic to it that makes it inordinately expensive. What they should do is just make something with similar specs to PS4/XBone, leave it there and put it out the door for 200 quid.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 10:09:22
    So we're speculating on just two letters? Awesome.

Nintendo Xtreme
    Nintendo Xcalibur
    Nintendo Xenophobia
    Nintendo Xplosions
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 10:11:55
    Nonce Xperience
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 17 Mar 2015 10:12:36 46,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It'll not be VR simply because everyone else is doing VR and Nintendo like to be different.
  • GoatApocalypse 17 Mar 2015 10:13:56 3,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Outputs in 4k native. No one will see that coming.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 10:14:04 20,192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It seems to be positioned as another "third pillar", maybe some sort of home streaming thing?
  • Rivuzu 17 Mar 2015 10:14:22 16,264 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:

Nintendo Xtreme
    Nintendo Xcalibur
    Nintendo Xenophobia
    Nintendo Xplosions
    Nintendo Xylophone. The controller is a two part config using twinned little hammers, and a load of metal bars that correspond to keys.
  • Youthist 17 Mar 2015 10:14:37 12,771 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    KenSuggestion wrote:
    Will probably have some kind of gimmick. Doubt it will be anything that will worry MS or Sony.

Which is quite unfortunate
    Yeah those two have nothing to worry about right now outside of Nintendo gimmicks
  • Youthist 17 Mar 2015 10:18:34 12,771 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Who were you before you emoquit then came back pretending you were not someone else?
  • neilka 17 Mar 2015 10:21:24 20,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My only hope is that it has a nozzle on the front that dispenses hot orange squash.
  • Ultrasoundwave 17 Mar 2015 10:24:49 5,580 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The best case scenario is that Nintendo have realised that the Wii was a fluke and that they need to just make a dedicated, reasonably powerful gaming console. I imagine Nintendo bosses are looking at the amount of PS4's and XB1's being sold and they're quite jealous.

All this "NX" needs to be is a Nintendo console with a similar/slightly better spec than the PS4/XB1 - plus it needs a proper controller, no gamepad or waggle stick bollocks. I imagine if it has full backwards compatibility with the Wii U then that would make the Wii U owners happier too.

If that's what the "NX" is, Nintendo will be back in business.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 10:25:09
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:

Nintendo Xtreme
    Nintendo Xcalibur
    Nintendo Xenophobia
    Nintendo Xplosions
    Nintendo Xylophone. The controller is a two part config using twinned little hammers, and a load of metal bars that correspond to keys.
    "We think you'll all get used to this unique and highly intuitive control method pretty quickly."
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 10:30:51 20,192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The best case scenario is that Nintendo have realised that the Wii was a fluke and that they need to just make a dedicated, reasonably powerful gaming console. I imagine Nintendo bosses are looking at the amount of PS4's and XB1's being sold and they're quite jealous.

All this "NX" needs to be is a Nintendo console with a similar/slightly better spec than the PS4/XB1 - plus it needs a proper controller, no gamepad or waggle stick bollocks. I imagine if it has full backwards compatibility with the Wii U then that would make the Wii U owners happier too.

If that's what the "NX" is, Nintendo will be back in business.
    There is zero chance of that happening and how could it have full Wii U backwards compatibility with no gamepad?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Mar 2015 10:33:28 6,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    There is zero chance of that happening and how could it have full Wii U backwards compatibility with no gamepad?
    Wii U has Wii BC and doesn't come with Wiimotes.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 10:34:19
    Don't forget that Nintendo have said many times that they want to get into the portable health market, so I'd assume the gimic is related to that. Possibly even yet another smart watch or hand held DS / phone sized device that tracks your activity and lets you play games offline.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 10:35:48 20,192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Wii U has Wii BC and doesn't come with Wiimotes.
    You can buy wiimotes, you can't buy gamepads and if you could, they'd be very expensive.
  • Page

of 788 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.