The Pope

• Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous
  • BartonFink 31 Mar 2005 22:16:36 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just listening to RTE at the moment and apparently The Pope has been given the last rites. :(

Edited by BartonFink at 19:15:34 01-04-2005
  • MikeD 31 Mar 2005 22:19:50 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's dead?

Well, not unexpected.
  • BartonFink 31 Mar 2005 22:20:40 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    He's dead?

Well, not unexpected.
    Nope not dead, but looks like he is in his last hours. :(
  • BartonFink 31 Mar 2005 22:21:12 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    The last rights to what? the cookie jar? ;)
    Hmmmm ... nah won't bother.
  • BartonFink 31 Mar 2005 22:21:20 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • sam_spade 31 Mar 2005 22:21:55 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rest In Peace.
  • Ginger 31 Mar 2005 22:25:22 6,904 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    just heard that he's in a really bad way.

Went to Rome this year, and havd a tour round the vatican where they explained how progressive this guy has been. Although it may not seem so to us, many african communinities live and die by the proclomation of the catholic church and when the pope pushes equal rights for women or something like that then it apparently makes a real difference in Africa.

Just something to think about really before you start with all the knee jerk church bashing...

London open taekwondo champion

• BartonFink 31 Mar 2005 22:35:01 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:
    Mapster wrote:
    The last rights to what? the cookie jar? ;)
    Hmmmm ... nah won't bother.

Sorry, I'm a Northern Irish Protestant which might explain my glib comment ;)

On a more serious note, he will be sorely missed (if only for his tarmac kissing abilities!)
    Yea explains a bit :)
    T'is kinda important though to about 18% of the worlds population.
  • Errol 31 Mar 2005 22:39:06 12,542 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Who is this Pope guy anyway ?
  • Whizzo 31 Mar 2005 22:40:10 43,275 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm agnostic but always rather like John Paul II, seemed to be a decent bloke and is one of those people who seem to have been around forever even though it was only 1978 when he took charge.

This space left intentionally blank.

• BartonFink 31 Mar 2005 22:45:53 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    I mean no offence at all, and if any is taken, I apologise.

It's just a shame the vatican kept wheeling him out when he was obviously so ill.
    No offence taken at all and I totally agree with you it is fairly awful having the man wheeled out like that. But apparently that is what he wanted and he was very upset that he wasn't able to perform his duties for the past while. He's a good man.
  • BartonFink 31 Mar 2005 22:46:12 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    Errol wrote:
    Who is this Pope guy anyway ?

He's the famous wearer of 'half a football' on his head. Desirable headgear for any aspiring 'godman'!
    LOL
  • BartonFink 31 Mar 2005 22:49:59 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    just heard that he's in a really bad way.

Went to Rome this year, and havd a tour round the vatican where they explained how progressive this guy has been. Although it may not seem so to us, many african communinities live and die by the proclomation of the catholic church and when the pope pushes equal rights for women or something like that then it apparently makes a real difference in Africa.

Just something to think about really before you start with all the knee jerk church bashing...
    Yea but some of the edicts recently involving birth control have been very unhelpful in steming the spread of AIDS in Africa. They should leave it alone on that point.
  • Clive_Dunn 31 Mar 2005 23:16:33 4,786 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know it's not really good form to moan before he's passed away, but I really hope the Catholic church uses this opportunity to try to modernise a large number of it's beliefs.

Quite honestly I think JP2:The Reactionary has utterly failed a huge number of people and that it's time the Catholic church took a long look at some of it's core values ( abortion and the use of birth control being just the start ).

IMO.
  • sam_spade 31 Mar 2005 23:25:22 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's bad form and utterly pointless to bemoan a person who is dead. While he's still alive I think it's fair to point out the failings.

Funny how we wait until people are dying before we point out their flaws though.
  • Cuchulainn 31 Mar 2005 23:28:08 845 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't want to be too irreverant, but I've just learned the German phrase for "last rites".

"Last oiling"!

Sometimes you just can't make it up....
  • sam_spade 31 Mar 2005 23:29:42 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oooh a date.

/gets tarted up.
  • Sid-Nice 31 Mar 2005 23:44:26 15,851 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Three weeks ago I paid 400 each for two framed photographs of John Paul 2nd on E Bay. I still haven't received them yet. The seller has ripped me off I'm sure. If only I'd used Papal. :)

NNID Sid-Nice

• BartonFink 1 Apr 2005 00:25:14 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    I know it's not really good form to moan before he's passed away, but I really hope the Catholic church uses this opportunity to try to modernise a large number of it's beliefs.

Quite honestly I think JP2:The Reactionary has utterly failed a huge number of people and that it's time the Catholic church took a long look at some of it's core values ( abortion and the use of birth control being just the start ).

IMO.
    Hmmm not sure I agree with you there the right to choose maybe. The right to life is at the core of the catholic faith I am afraid and even within it's own walls it's a very hot topic. By the right to choose I mean for myself I will choose my own moral path but not at the expense of anothers right to choose and herein lies the delema. The whole debate hurts my head sometimes. The problem I have is that some people are very quick to judge and accept that something is right without really thinking about it and it's moral implications.
    For me personally I believe that the Catholic church is wrong when it comes to contraception but abortion is another matter. A lot of what I see (mainly in the UK and Europe) is abortion as an act of convenience which is totally wrong in my book. It should be reserved for exceptional circumstances such as: resulting from a rape, the life of the mother is at risk, etc.
    Another thing to remember there are other groups within Christianity that are far more right wing than the Vatican.
  • BartonFink 1 Apr 2005 00:33:31 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And yea I know I am probably going to get a bashing ...
  • Dirtbox 1 Apr 2005 00:34:19 78,845 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apparently he's suffering from a high fever caused by a urinary tract infection. Odd, because my friend got a similar infection when he was in hospital for a while, it was because of the catheter.

So shock, horror, the hospital killed him.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• BartonFink 1 Apr 2005 00:40:38 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yea, it's very common apparently.

The real problem is his immune system has taken such a bashing over the past couple of months his heart has probably been weakened so he will most likely not pull through it. Standard old person dying lark. He ain't no spring chicken
  • Lutz 1 Apr 2005 07:54:16 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's had a heart attack too.
  • Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous