Recently Completed Games Page 334

• Page

of 422 First / Last

• Paulie_P 16 Jun 2013 22:10:19 416 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Far Cry 3
    Loved this game. The first PS3 game I've platinumed.

The story, while not brilliant, has such a great character in Vaas. I also didn't mind Jason and his friends, I didn't find them as irritating as some reviewers have mentioned.

The island was a joy to explore and I got a bit OCD about trying to clear every single loot box. I could spend hours exploring or hunting.

The levelling up system was also fantastic, by the end of the game you could be so powerful with many offensive options without being invincible.

Special mention must also be given to the tag system. I would love scouting enemy camps and identifying the main threats before attempting to take them without setting an alarm. As mentioned before the offensive options gave you a lot of choice, you could try to find a vantage point to snipe, maybe shoot a cage door open in a camp to let a tiger run riot or get up close and personal with the various takedowns.

Pretty obvious but this game is an easy 10/10 for me.
  • PazJohnMitch 16 Jun 2013 22:57:36 8,593 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Space Marine

Simple and intuitive shooting/fighting mechanic. This leads to an enjoyable combat but is mared by clunky controls and a camera which is occasionally lost.

Nice change of pace around the middle and the final stretch is good. Sadly it is a bit of a slog in the first half.

Graphically quite impressive technically but wasted on generic, repetitive and boring environments. (Probably used everything on the characters which are excellent).

6/10
  • Fonzie 17 Jun 2013 00:14:16 1,872 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished Demon's Souls today. 9/10.

Great game, there really is nothing else like it. Great atmosphere throughout with my favourite being the prison. On to NG+ now. Now I have to purchase Dark Souls.
  • hypoBla5t 17 Jun 2013 08:22:27 1,501 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shadow of the Collosus

Positives:
    Obviously groundbreaking at the time and has aged pretty well. It tied really nicely into ICO at the end, story and ending especially were excellent.

Negatives:
    In general I found it a very stressful and frustrating experience to be honest, having to wait for the boss to try to shake you off for the umpteenth time before you can get a stab in was pretty grating by the end of the first colossus, never mind the 16th.

Overall:
    Good, but ICO was better.

8/10
  • FarFromSane 17 Jun 2013 13:42:17 241 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally finished Red Dead Redemption a year after buying the Game of the Year edition.

What a brilliant game 9/10

Now to finish God of War 3 while also playing the Last of Us

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• kinky_mong 17 Jun 2013 14:15:09 10,688 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ico

Short, sweet and sublime. I appreciated that the only hand-holding the game provides is how you drag Yorda around.

9/10

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• DFawkes 17 Jun 2013 14:39:32 23,716 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition

I really didn't think I'd enjoy this as much as the first one due to concerns brought up in some reviews, but I ended up enjoying it just as much. I can totally understand why people would feel differently though, as there's a distinct lack of focus in the story and the game world itself means Arkham Asylum definitely feels a lot tighter.

But I quite enjoyed the larger scope. I quite liked Arkham City as a place to explore, and that there's so much to do for those inclined to do side missions and collectible things. Just stalking around being Batman is every bit as fun as it was in the last game, with a few cool extra gadgets thrown in. I especially liked the Disruptor and the Freeze stuff.

I did feel the combat was a little improved, but not much. I also still suck at it. I can't overstate how much I suck. Luckily it seems to lower the difficulty on death, or maybe I just learn my lesson. I'm not sure :p Certainly plenty of options for the non cack handed to mix it up with gadgets and special takedowns. I preferred to try and eliminate as many as possible before kicking it off, which wasn't always possible.

I certainly enjoyed it all, and have a good few hours of Batmaning to do. I do like having other stuff do do after the main story, and there's still plenty of that. Plus there's all the challenges and Harley stuff to do.

Also a few notes on the Wii U specifics. There aren't really any performance issues, especially nothing that affects the gameplay. The only thing I noticed was the cut-scenes, which seemed to be heavily compressed to the point it hurt the quality. No idea why that is, they're just video files. Did they run out of space?

Also, the Gamepad extending itself to a Batgadget works really well. Nothing essential, but the map and Sonar do come in really handy (especially the Sonar audio cues), and it's all integrated really smoothly into the game. The tutorials at the start are especially good at easing you into it's specific functions. BAT Mode is less successful, to the point I generally forgot about it. The change in colour scheme in particular made the counter prompts harder to read, so it wasn't worth it to temporarily double (triple with an upgrade) Batman's damage dealing.

So a solid port of quite a good game. I think I'd personally give it the edge over Asylum, but only just. A couple of bosses in Asylum really irritated me, where the ones in City didn't bother me much. Might even be a tad too easy.

8/10

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Murbs 17 Jun 2013 15:51:37 22,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Infamous 2

Glad to get it done (been playing for weeks!), too long perhaps but good fun for the most part. 7
  • Short-Round 17 Jun 2013 16:47:49 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Infamous 2

Glad to get it done (been playing for weeks!), too long perhaps but good fun for the most part. 7
    Is there more variety in environments and stuff to do than the first? Don't have the heart to start 2 after slogging through 1 recently, and kept praying for it to end (and wishing I was playing Crackdown instead).
  • King_Edward 17 Jun 2013 17:02:27 11,466 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Short-Round

There's more variety in location. It's still the same sort of missions as the first game.
  • Rhaegyr 17 Jun 2013 20:34:57 2,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Shadow of the Colossus HD

+ Fantastic visuals, score, atmosphere and general setting
    + Great puzzles/bosses with a stunning sense of scale
    + Most of the Colossi - awesome stuff and some great design
    + Lack of filler - no detours or padding
    + Great ending

- Fiddly controls, sometimes even counter-intuitive
    - Controlling Agro doesn't hold up that well
    - Repetition in the main battles, especially towards the end
    - Teasing hawk bastards

First time playing through the game and I thought it was pretty great. It was so refreshing to play a game stripped to the bear essentials without any unnecessary wandering and/or grinding, plus the atmosphere and visual design made getting to the bosses themselves quite relaxing. Simply a breath of fresh air that makes me a ton more invested in The Last Guardian

8/10
  • Gold1877 17 Jun 2013 20:45:09 459 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lego City Undercover (WiiU)

Fantastic little game

9/10

PSN - Gold1877

Xbox live - Gold1877

• Kovacs77 17 Jun 2013 20:50:21 377 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uncharted 2, which is the first PS3 game I've finished since I traded in my 360 to buy one. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Dived straight in to 3 which I'm also loving, and as soon as I finish that it'll be The Last Of Us.
  • imamazed 18 Jun 2013 14:34:26 5,882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Far Cry 3

Fantastic game. The world sucks you in, it's one of the only games I've played where I genuinely enjoyed exloring and all the sidequests. I think the story is under rated and/or misunderstood by a lot of people as well; for me it's one of the only video game examples of a post-modern tale, and the way the whole world feeds into that is bordering on genius.

9/10

Rythmn Thief

It is basically Professor Layton but with rhythmn games instead of puzzles. Maybe it's just me, but the difficulty of the games seemed to be all over the place; the violin bits, for instance, were a cinch but the evil robots always gave me more problems. Anyway it's charming, and often very fun. There's a lot backtracking in the game, but I didn't find it offputting. It's also quite short, but there are extras and stuff. Oh, and two things: the voice actor of Napoleon was excellent; I loved the cheesy french parlour. Also, Raphael bumping into Marie in the middle of the night then immediatedly getting her to come back to his? Well played lad.

7/10

Edited by imamazed at 14:35:13 18-06-2013
  • Paulie_P 19 Jun 2013 11:42:14 416 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @imamazed I enjoyed Far Cry 3s story as well. Thought there was a lot of fuss about nothing about it when it came out.
  • Paulie_P 19 Jun 2013 11:42:17 416 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @imamazed I enjoyed Far Cry 3s story as well. Thought there was a lot of fuss about nothing about it when it came out.
  • ardamillo 19 Jun 2013 13:40:56 525 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DmC: Devil May Cry (360)

I feel stupid just typing out that name. The game is really cool, though.

Definitely the most fun I've had with a DMC game, since I could never get into the PS2 ones. By the end I was starting to get the hang of combat - it's almost like a super fast platformer since you can lift enemies in the air and teleport to them. I like platformers! I also like that combat is more about weapon selection than memorising long combos.

Story is fine, levels are gorgeous, Dante's tude actually works. I played on Nephilim (Hard) and didn't have much trouble, but now on Son of Sparda it's starting to kick my arse!
  • FarFromSane 20 Jun 2013 13:36:10 241 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iíve just completed The Last of Us in normal mode

OMG what an emotional rollercoaster, just a wonderful ride. Naughty Dog have done such a remarkable job on a seven year old piece of hardware.

10/10

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• glaeken 20 Jun 2013 13:44:20 11,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dishonoured 6/10 maybe a 7/10. It's very competent but it did not really click that much with me. The world just never felt that alive and having reams of text to read in all the various books you find just does not work for me. I am playing a game I don't want to spend five minutes reading a book in game to give me back ground on the experience.

I did find I initially started playing it as a stealth game but gave up on that approach after a while and actually found it's far more fun not trying to be super stealthy. I actually think I should have played like that the whole game now looking back on it.

Edited by glaeken at 13:45:08 20-06-2013
  • lordofdeadside 20 Jun 2013 19:34:40 1,152 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished The Last of Us, incredible stuff. The most human, realistic characters and dialogue I've ever experienced in a game. The incidental detail in the environment, animation and stories combine with the beautifully realised world to create something that was gripping from beginning to the end. Speaking of the end and without giving away too much, it was perfect, not what you'd expect but without being over the top.

I did find a couple of sections frustrating and it was annoying that it occasionally just forced you into a firefight. Just took the edge off the experience for me.

96%
  • stryker1121 20 Jun 2013 19:50:47 738 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2: Very, very good, an engaging story and it was great to be immersed in Rapture one last time. Quite challenging as well, as long as you play on difficult and switch off the VitaChambers. Sweated out more than a few fights, particularly the skirmishes w/ the Big Sisters.

8.5/10
  • wobbly_Bob 21 Jun 2013 17:40:50 1,898 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bioshock Inifinite - I really enjoyed this but felt like it stood in the shadow of Rapture. While I think Colombia is beautiful, it's doesn't work as well as Rapture. The gameplay hasn't evolved enough and felt samey. I would have liked to see a lot more different powers or even hsve it or in an entirely new fashion. Also, story not as good.

Short story version: very good, just not as good as the first. 8/10
  • Tomo 21 Jun 2013 18:23:34 13,964 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Last of Us - 9.5/10

So incredibly good. I think it just ever so slightly lost steam towards the very end, but it's absolutely leagues ahead of most other games.

Max Payne 3 - 5/10

So rarely more than mediocre. The setting is great. Brazil is a fitting location for a Max Payne game. The general premise is good. Max Payne as a bodyguard is believable. Uncovering the seedy underbelly of the Brazilian police force is an intriguing direction. But fuck, the shoot-shoot-bang-bang is SO drab.

Rockstar turned Max Payne into a cover-shooting fest. Slo-mo dives are now absolutely pointless because your bullet time lasts for like 5 seconds at best. And you rarely have max bullet time anyway. This forces you to just take cover, hit slow-motion and line up one or two headshots before rinsing and repeating for the entire game. I completed the ENTIRE GAME using a tactic I discovered in the first level.

It's beautiful to look at. The acting is decent. Max comes up with some great one liners (and plenty of dross). There are a couple of interesting set pieces. But it all felt like a cheap movie-licence cash in game.

Solid shooter, gradually ramp up the amount of explosions and bam you've got 14 hours of game.
  • Rose-of-Sorrow 22 Jun 2013 12:46:16 511 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Resident Evil: Revelations (PS3)

Pretty good. It takes things back to be much closer to the series' roots and I was pleasantly surprised at what a good job they've done with the port. There's a good atmosphere and the Queen Zenobia is a really fitting location. That said, the game lacks any really memorable moments and the story is forgettable.

I'm not going to numerically rate the game- I don't see the value of that :-) Just know that it's worth your time.

Edited by Rose-of-Sorrow at 12:49:20 22-06-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Jun 2013 12:56:44 15,204 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Last Of Us
    As perfect as a video game can be. If I had not have owned a PS3 I would have bought one just to play and experiance the game.
    10/10

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• figaro7 23 Jun 2013 11:33:34 1,377 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Metro Last Light

Solid story, great atmosphere, nice tension and excellent graphics wrapped in an average FPS with a pinch of stealth to spice things a bit.

An easy 7/10 but nothing more.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2013 11:45:29
    Last Of Us.

One of the best games ever made.

10/10
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Jun 2013 13:20:02 5,350 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS
    LOL.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 13:20:30 23-06-2013
  • mrpon 23 Jun 2013 13:34:05 29,390 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    lol
    Too stiff darky, try bending your arms slightly like this:

\o/

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 422 First / Last