Recently Completed Games Page 318

• Page

of 395 First / Last

• Soul_quake 20 Mar 2013 09:35:36 237 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

A beautiful game that has been thoroughly overlooked. It is right up there with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for me. It has its niggles (framerate, camera) but they do not interfere with the game too much. Otherwise the writing, pacing and gameplay are great.

9.5/10
  • Deleted user 20 March 2013 09:36:52
    @Bremenacht Totally... I actually started AC:B last summer after finishing AC 2 at the start of 2012. That was sill too soon and had to put it off til Feb this year before I could get back into it as I was jaded with AC til then!

A good long rest til Revelations!

Give me chance to work through the backlog a bit...
  • Humperfunk 20 Mar 2013 09:39:19 1,606 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I know what you mean - after ACII I actually thought yearly Creed games would be superb considering how good it was. But it took me three months to slog through Revelations (after waiting three months after release to get it) and ACIII I gave up on after six hours or so, played it too soon after Revelations!

Going to leave ACIII until next year probably, so eventually I'll get round to ACIV when the eighth game comes out or something.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• wobbly_Bob 20 Mar 2013 09:56:41 1,436 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Soul_quake wrote:

A beautiful game that has been thoroughly overlooked. It is right up there with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for me. It has its niggles (framerate, camera) but they do not interfere with the game too much. Otherwise the writing, pacing and gameplay are great.

9.5/10
    Tottaly agree. It's not perfect but still one of the best games of thus generation!
  • Deleted user 20 March 2013 10:07:42
    @Humperfunk Me too, but after playing three of them I now realise that given how long it takes to complete these games, yearly releases are mental if they expect folk to buy them upon or near to release to keep up... Most of your life would need to be spent running over rooftops! I'm actually starting to side with the camp that's calling for UBI to give these games a rest for a bit...
  • khaz 20 Mar 2013 10:18:21 2,573 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Soul_quake wrote:

9.5/10
    Sorry, I take issues with this. Enslaved is nowhere near the same league as PoP:SoT.

Yes, they're both linear but the Prince was still under your direct control for every piece of platforming you did. Enslaved automates much of the platforming for you.

And i can't stand games that play it for you. So I don't see how you can compare this to PoP: SoT.
  • MatMan562 20 Mar 2013 10:48:17 1,913 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I finished the original Bioshock for only the second time yesterday, this time on hard saving every Little Sister. It had been about 4 years since I last played it and I'd forgotten large parts of it, mainly just how great it really is. I'm sure I don't need to bother explaining why it's so great but for me, the atmosphere was the best part. My only problems were the large amounts of Pipemania involved and the stupidly easy final boss.

10/10

Here's hoping Bioshock Infinite can turn it up to 11!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Megapocalypse 20 Mar 2013 19:05:30 5,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alice: Madness Returns - 7/10

Very average and repetitive platformer with entertaining combat set in a very well done Disney meets Silent Hill setting. Story never really makes much sense though I'm not sure its meant to. Alice is mad after all. To be honest if it wasn't for the artwork gone into the level design I wouldn't have stuck with it but I found myself continually wanting to see what the artists had come up with next. And on that front it never really disappoints.

Not one for children though.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 00:07:22 21-03-2013
  • Tomo 20 Mar 2013 20:00:53 13,841 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spec Ops: The Line - 4/10

Technically I didn't complete this as Steam decided to lose my save when I got to the penultimate chapter and I couldn't be fucked to go through 2 chapters again. Instead I just watched the endings on youtube.

I so wanted to like it. It's commendable having a maturer narrative, but really the game itself is so boring, it's an utter chore slogging through the early parts to get to the meat of the story. The gun fights are dire. The on rails sections are boring. Considering the vast expanse that is a semi-deserted Dubai, the game funnels you down a completely linear path and there is no sense of scale whatsoever. The graphics are shit as well, even on PC with everything on max. It was just so painful to play.

That said, the endings were intriguing and the white phosphorus moment made me feel absolutely terrible. I've never felt anything nearly as emotive as that in a game before. The writers clear have some talent, but the plot was wrapped up in the most dull game imaginable.
  • FatsoJetson 20 Mar 2013 22:54:13 302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Spec Ops: The Line - 4/10

Technically I didn't complete this as Steam decided to lose my save when I got to the penultimate chapter and I couldn't be fucked to go through 2 chapters again. Instead I just watched the endings on youtube.

I so wanted to like it. It's commendable having a maturer narrative, but really the game itself is so boring, it's an utter chore slogging through the early parts to get to the meat of the story. The gun fights are dire. The on rails sections are boring. Considering the vast expanse that is a semi-deserted Dubai, the game funnels you down a completely linear path and there is no sense of scale whatsoever. The graphics are shit as well, even on PC with everything on max. It was just so painful to play.

That said, the endings were intriguing and the white phosphorus moment made me feel absolutely terrible. I've never felt anything nearly as emotive as that in a game before. The writers clear have some talent, but the plot was wrapped up in the most dull game imaginable.
    Pretty much my feelings, having just completed it.

Didn't think the story was much cop though. Certainly not worth playing through the game for, anyway.
  • Reacher 21 Mar 2013 01:06:05 542 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tomb Raider :

Pretty much everything has been said already. It's an excellent game with a decent story, fantastic graphics and is easy to play. That said, it was on rails quite a lot and there were too many QTE's for me (as others have said). I'll definitely buy a sequel.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

8/10.
  • Quixz 21 Mar 2013 01:47:18 23 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Forza Horizon:

Beautiful game and incredibly enjoyable. Driving around the world listening to the radio while hunting down discount boards is surprisingly fun!

Would have completed it sooner but work commands 90% of my time and 10% is shared between life and some gaming :(

9/10.
  • Zizoo 21 Mar 2013 14:56:06 7,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not sure where else to ask this, but:

My brother bought Dishonored and Max Payne 3 and is gonna give me one of them to play. Which is longest, and um, which is the "better" of the two?
  • imamazed 21 Mar 2013 14:58:02 5,455 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    appear that they're both of a very similar length.

I've not played Dishonoured though, so don't knwo about quality. MP3 was excellent though, I thought.
  • Zizoo 21 Mar 2013 15:01:32 7,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great website. Thanks. :)
  • kinky_mong 21 Mar 2013 15:01:37 9,607 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll probably be in the minority here but Dishonored bored me to tears after a couple of hours, while I loved Max Payne 3.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Zizoo 21 Mar 2013 16:05:44 7,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have read similar elsewhere, but since Dishonored is a bit longer has multiple paths, I'll play it first. My brother is a bit slow (finishing games wise).
  • ronuds 21 Mar 2013 16:11:07 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't speak for Dishonored, but MP3's campaign is 75% cutscenes.

The little bit of gameplay it had was fun, though.
  • Aretak 21 Mar 2013 16:19:46 10,329 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally got around to playing Spec Ops: The Line after getting it as part of a BioShock Infinite pre-order deal... and ended up finishing the entire thing last night. I didn't realise it was only about six hours long, but man, what a story. One of the best ever told in a video game IMO. It's also a fantastic-looking game, particularly in terms of the cinematography during cutscenes. It achieves a real movie-like feel. The environments are lovely too, and a refreshing change from the standard military shooter surroundings.

The shooty bits are pretty generic, but at least they don't often outstay their welcome. The final set piece was somewhat annoying due to the sheer amount of enemies and the fact you're down to one squad mate, but other than that I didn't mind the action parts at all. The sections without any shooting are done well too, although the whole 'force you to walk slowly so you can soak in the horrors of war' thing was a bit overused.

Overall a very enjoyable experience. Certainly there are things that could be improved on if there's ever a sequel, but it's still one of the better games I've played in recent years. 8/10 seems fair.
  • jack24 21 Mar 2013 20:13:58 284 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished God of War Ascension last night. The ending, as far as spectacle set piece style sequences go, was just about the best I've seen to be honest.

The game in itself was probably an 8/10, better pacing, puzzles and sense of adventure over 3, but couldn't live up to the climactic feel of the third's story. The combat was awesome but it took me like half the game to really click with the changes; it was also a decrnt length at 10 hours.

That ending though. I'd even rate it over the intro to 3!
  • Darth_Flibble 21 Mar 2013 20:27:16 1,507 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X-com enemy unknown

Went into the alien base and splattered everything, killed the final alien and didn't have to kill his lackeys. Double tap with one my sniper rifle guys with a plasma sniper rifle. Great game although I dislike how they give the aliens unfair advantage of them scattering as soon as they see you and some bullshit misses. Really hope they don't turn it into COD shooter for the masses for the next game

9/10
  • Matt36 21 Mar 2013 21:19:24 1,191 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LEGO Batman: Hero quests

So much fun. Love the puzzles, the animation, the tongue in cheek humour and of course the Batman universe!

8/10
  • Vortex808 22 Mar 2013 09:45:33 6,566 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Crysis 3

It was entertaining enough on Veteran, although it was quite easy to start with, it did become more of a challenge later on. I enjoyed it a lot, and the bow was a great addition. A rather pretty game on 360, but now it's finished I don't see me replaying it again.

I will give multiplayer a bash, but I don't think it'll be enough to make me keep a hold of it.

7/10
  • dancingrob 22 Mar 2013 10:42:25 1,132 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Iron Brigade

A typical Double Fine game really. Quite charming and nicely done, but without actually that much to it, only this time, the charm wasn't enough to see the game through on its own.

The mix of tower defence and shooting works pretty well for the most part, without ever feeling particularly inspired or original. The actual mobs are pretty bland for the most part - oh look it's the flying one, oh look it's the massive one etc. and the choice of turrets is as close to bog standard as it's possible to get.

The script is quite sparky in places, and the voice acting pretty good, but even the charm seems very lacking compared to Costume Quest/Stacking. Basically a decent comedy evil Germano-Russian villain in search of a game I thought.

All in all, not a game I could really recommend.

2*
  • andytheadequate 22 Mar 2013 11:00:18 7,957 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dancingrob wrote:
    Iron Brigade

A typical Double Fine game really. Quite charming and nicely done, but without actually that much to it, only this time, the charm wasn't enough to see the game through on its own.

The mix of tower defence and shooting works pretty well for the most part, without ever feeling particularly inspired or original. The actual mobs are pretty bland for the most part - oh look it's the flying one, oh look it's the massive one etc. and the choice of turrets is as close to bog standard as it's possible to get.

The script is quite sparky in places, and the voice acting pretty good, but even the charm seems very lacking compared to Costume Quest/Stacking. Basically a decent comedy evil Germano-Russian villain in search of a game I thought.

All in all, not a game I could really recommend.

2*
    Sums it up perfectly. I've been disappointed by the last 2 double fine games (the cave and iron brigade)
  • Nitrous 22 Mar 2013 16:15:58 243 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spec Ops: The Line (xbox360)

- Boring gameplay for most of the game
    - Sh!t Gears Of War sticky cover system
    - Nothing special in terms of effects or general graphics.

I'm struggling to find a positive here...

+ The story was alright and I might have even enjoyed the final few fire fights.
    + It only cost me 12.

Traded in at GAME for 11 towards the 25 tomb raider deal GAME had/have going.
  • Matt36 23 Mar 2013 01:54:58 1,191 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LEGO Batman Villain quests

Compared to the Hero side, very boring. Less enjoyable. And found myself forcing my way through.

6/10
  • Triggerhappytel 23 Mar 2013 08:28:14 2,664 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nitrous wrote:
    Traded in at GAME for 11 towards the 25 tomb raider deal GAME had/have going.
    Ooh, is that in store as well as online? Tempted to go for that. I wonder how much credit I'd get for God of War: Ascension.
  • Lotos8ter 23 Mar 2013 09:06:53 2,324 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomb Raider 9/10

Loved it. Great story well told and a fitting part of the series.

Didn't much like the QTE's and too combat heavy in parts but a really strong foundation to build on for the next game

Fiat Lux

• Page

of 395 First / Last