Recently Completed Games Page 409

• Page

of 417 First / Last

• kentmonkey 21 Aug 2014 21:51:20 20,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just been on a massive game completion binge over the last few weeks so....massive braindump time:

Muramasa Rebirth - VITA

This was a real mixed-bag of entertainment. Although the art style/visuals was amazing to look at, it became repetitive fast due to many of the screens being replicated in their entirety throughout the game, sometimes even repeating the same screen two or three times one after the other. Equally for a game of this 'style' I was disappointed by the audio. It was fine, it wasn't poor, but it didn't stand out from the crowd - something which I was expecting it to do.

In terms of the gameplay, what started off a boring chore to play soon became reasonably enjoyable, if also slightly basic. I played it on Chaos (the harder of the two difficulty levels) and was disappointed with the challenge it provided. I hardly died throughout, and even managed to defeat the final 'boss' without losing a life. The risk of losing all your health was also negated by the fact that, if you did, you either just had to restart the screen again, or the boss again. And in doing so also got to retain all of the previous experience you had gained during that fight (during one fight I lost I gained three levels, which I got to keep) and also have all of the items you used replenished. Therefore there was never really any concern for me about dying in the game.

I ended up with lots of money and 'souls' (if I'm using the correct term, I forget) I couldn't spend as I hardly bought anything (only maps really) and I'd levelled up all of the swords I could.

Overall what it really lacked was a more in-depth combat system. There were some layers to it, which I encountered after 3-4 hours playing it, but nothing that really benefited me as a player much or the experience. I also didn't like the fact that I couldn't find any way of cancelling a combo I had entered, meaning that I lost health when I didn't need to and more importantly ended up getting frustrated with a lack of responsiveness.

I finished the game at level 53, 7hrs 28 mins, having done all of the dungeons/fights, etc. and not really speeding my way through it at all (I actually cleaned up all the 'souls' on each screen, and gathered all of the items, before progressing).

I'm glad I experienced it, and stuck with it beyond the first hour where it had completely bored me, but it won't live long in the memory.

Tales of the Mutant Space Blobs - VITA
    I started off adhoring this little indie title, and thought it played a little like a cross between Katamari Damarcy (on a 2D scale) and Locoroco. Two of my all-time faves. Unfortunately the quirkiness soon wore off, and I found the level design start to become a little formulaic, compared to the two aforementioned titles.

It remained an enjoyable experience, and one really suited to a more casual/younger gamer, but fell quickly away from the 8/10 experience I was originally expecting. Far shorter than I anticipated it to be as well, and I could have done without the tilt levels (especially with the VITA screen not being ideal for that type of thing - try playing a tilt level outdoors/near a window/in a car/train, it's almost impossible as you end up not being able to see the screen quite quickly).

Strider - PS4

Well this was a very pleasant surprise. Based on the fact that I never really liked the original (don't blame me, it was too advanced for my then 9 year old reactions to muster at the arcades, and I didn't have a console to play it on at home) and that this was getting fairly mediocre write-ups from critics and gamers, I wasn't expecting much. I'm now glad I gave it a chance though.

Visually it reminded me a lot of Shadow Complex (still one of the best XBLA games available), including the animation, so it was off to a great start. The audio too was quite pleasing, in a 'oh my god this voiceover work is so hammy and racially stereotypical it's like playing a bond film' kind of way. More importantly I enjoyed the exploration, going back and getting all of the items I wanted (all the powerups for example) and experiencing how the levels now opened up based on the new abilities I had.

The combat was far more balanced (and responsive) than in Muramasa (which I played at the same time as this), although the battles themselves weren't. Again I hardly died, so I would have liked more challenge, but the main problem was that you could go from a boss that seemingly took no more than 6-7 hits to kill, to another boss 20 mins later that required 10 mins of almost perfectly timed dodging and counter-attacks in order to defeat.

I was fine with the main bulk of the levels not providing much of a challenge - it actually helped me enjoy the old-school metroidvania style platforming - but I wanted more from the boss battles. It also lost a little for the (incredibly) abrupt and disappointing ending.

Overall though far better than I had expected it to be, and I particularly enjoyed the frenetic tempo of the action and the fact it never took itself seriously.

FIFA 14 - PS4
    This is purely from a single player perspective (I can't stand FIFA online unless it's with friends/EGers/non-randoms).
    Having just won all four major trophies in my first season as Arsenal, and played through a number of other matches as different teams, I consider this finished.

I was disappointed. I didn't really feel that it looked like a next-gen game (I could tell very little difference between this and the PS3 version. Some, but not much) nor that it played like one. The same-old problems existed; it still got overly bogged down in midfield; players with pace are still nerfed for no good reason; ball physics, while improved, still don't feel right; player collisions are still unrealistic; goalkeeping AI is all over the place, plus many others. In addition the limited number of game mode choices was very noticeable and limited the life of the game for me.

The biggest issue for me though was that I never really enjoyed playing it. There was no real feeling of individuality, such as playing as any of the best teams or best players in the world (Messi pretty much feels and plays like every other short, pacey player rated over 80), and every team seemed to set itself up in the same way against you. Ultimately each match felt like the same match as the one before. Somewhere between this and PES is the ideal football game - and where PES really trumps FIFA is the fact that players, and teams, do have more of an individual feel to them.

Portal 2 - X360
    Having loved Portal, I have been eagerly waiting to play this for...well a long time now actually. Due to my backlog over the past 2 years I've been keeping back some of the games I've really wanted to play in order to ensure I give others more of a fair crack (and glad I did in some cases, as I've uncovered some gems in that time that may never have seen the light of day otherwise). But this didn't live up to my expectations.

The puzzles just felt less clever, less taxing than the original's. It also lost some of the humour along the way. Equally I felt it became quite repetitive in approach once you reached the halfway point, and that there were too many sections where you weren't really doing much at all.

I rarely got stuck along the way (most rooms I just ploughed straight on with, due to the solution being so obvious) and as a result, although it was over very quickly, it felt like it was dragging at times.

That said, there were elements I still really enjoyed (some rooms, whether a simple solution or not, where still ingenius in design) and the ending was very good. Perhaps not quite equalling the high of the original and 'that' song, but still very good and a great way to wrap the game up. All things considered it was still a good game, just not the gaming-high I had anticipated, nor as good as the original for me.

Football Manager 2014 - PC
    Still quite buggy, transfers are overly complicated and unbalanced for the player (players signing for other clubs and accepting much lower salaries than they would entertain from your club, despite it being of a higher stature and also one of the player's preferred clubs. Case in point, Costa had Arsenal as one of his favourite clubs, and me as one of his favourate staff, he signed for Chelsea, when Mourinho was down as an unpreferred member of staff, and where they offered him 40k less than me and with a reduced squad status, after having finished 5th and not winning anything. It didn't really make much sense at all, and that's just one high-profile example. For Dresden I lost a player that loved the club, and kept wanting a new contract, because he wanted 10k a week and my budget only allowed a maximum of 9.2k. He was currently on 4k. He went and signed for another club for.......3.2k a week) and some very odd things happen in the match engine and with the match AI. However it was better than 13 and I played it for (looks at game stats)....oh dear. 49 hours. I actually feel like that was wasted though, as in that time I only got through a season as Arsenal (winning everything) and one season with Dresdin (getting them promoted to the Bundesliga), as I chose to micro-manage everything. It'll probably be the last FM I play as a result of that - despite it being an enjoyable game in itself, I no longer have the time to commit to it and I can't play this type of game in any other way.

Gravity Rush - VITA
    In many ways it is the perfect Vita game, in others it just left me wanting....more. It could only really work on the Vita (potentially the Wii U I guess), and it's a great game to demo the system as it looks rather gorgeous and sounds reasonably good too. That's until you'd actually have to play it in front of somebody - by which point, if you're anything like me, repeatedly flying into walls, getting stuck on objects and sliding off of the edge of the path on numerous occasions might become a little tedious to watch. As it did to play.

There's no doubt that the control system could have been refined a little - making it just a smidge more forgiving to open it up to a wider audience, but even so my main gripes with the game are actually more down to my own inability to cope with the controls (and 360 degree gravitational mind-fuckery) and therefore connect with the game.

The story was fine, if a little stereotypically Japanese twee (and I could again do without the scantily-clad characters) and I enjoyed my time enough with it through to the conclusion. However I felt it all got a little repetitive towards the end (the combat just wasn't interesting enough for me) and my frustration with myself started to get the better of me.

Tomb Raider - PS3
    My love for the Tomb Raider series wained after the very first installment. The original was, at the time, up there with one of the best gaming experiences I had ever encountered. That dinosaur moment....wow! I still remember my (and my on-looking Dad's) reaction to that the first time I encountered it to this day. But after that I just fell out of love with the game more and more with each release. Partly because the engine and control scheme felt as archaic as some of the games tombs from the start, and as time went past that feeling only got worse. But also because with each iteration they seemed to lose what made the first game so brilliant; raiding tombs and over-the-top dual-gun wielding action. By the time we reached the 'next-gen' versions of the game (I'm talking PS2 here, for clarity) it just got worse. Simplified puzzles mixed with QTR mini-games and small tombs, with more focus given to the gunplay and Lara herself.

I once reviewed a PSP version of Tomb Raider for Eurogamer (about six years ago now I believe, as part of their mini-review round-up sections) when I was doing a bit of freelancing for them, and remember getting soundly kicked for daring to give it a low score. But it just wasn't for me; the fiddly controls, the annoying (and unresponsive) jumping, the fact that you barely needed to think or have any skill to finish it. It was like a fake Tomb Raider - nowhere near the standard of the originals, but not going out and doing it's own thing either.

Colour me more than a little surprised then that, courtesy of a sale, and a kind friend, I got given the latest installment and not only enjoyed it, but could find little to dislike. And that's unlike me. I really enjoyed the new direction that they had took; which was essentially 'let's make it about as un-Tombraidery as we can'. Granted the Tomb's themselves were very small and often disappointing, but at least it managed to stand on it's own two feet as a game in it's own right - this wasn't a series remake, more a reimagining (or a hybrid of the Far Cry and Uncharted franchises at least).

The market (on a mass scale) for a game like the original Tomb Raider probably isn't there anymore, more's the pity. Whereas something akin to a cross between Uncharted and Far Cry 3 does have mass market appeal, and it just so happens that Lara, and her associated tales, suit the style perfectly. By changing the genre I wasn't left wishing (much, anyway) for improved Tombs. Rather it enabled me to enjoy the game based on it's own strengths.

And although I'd never go so far as to say that the script wasn't a corny, teenage 'straight to television' film affair, it still held up reasonably well against its peers (which is, in itself, a criticism of the industry in general) and delivered an entertaining enough backstory to the game's action that kept me entertained for the healthy duration of the game. Although quite why there were so many 'collectibles' on the island still remains a mystery to me - perhaps a cargo plane to the London Museum was shot down overhead at some point.

It's a shame that this is likely to be the last of the Tomb Raider games I get to play in quite a while - so there goes any chance of it re-converting me back to being a fan.

Towerfall: Ascension - PS4
    If this had been released in the 80s (or maybe even the early 90s), when the local-multiplayer scene was at its peak, this would go down in history as one of the best multiplayer videogames of all time. If this had been out on the Amiga, maybe even the NES/SNES systems, and especially as an arcade machine in the 80s, Jonathan Ross, Dara O'Briain and other game-loving celebs would be gushing about it on any videogame related programme for infinitum. Charlie Brooker would maybe even crack a smile in its general direction.

However, due to the industry effectively killing off local-multiplayer, to the extent where, sadly, the very concept of playing a game with someone sat next to you (without the need of a subscription) is almost unheard of, its potential audience has been severely reduced. And that's a terrible shame.

As a multiplayer game I will never get to experience this to its fullest - which is a four-player, frantic, laugh-a-minute, played for three hours straight game-a-thon. A bit like Bomberman, but with archers instead of bombers and before it was ruined by making it more complex than it needed to be. The people I know that would be in to this are either, in terms of location, far away from me now, don't own a PS4 (and therefore, more importantly, don't own a controller to play it on), or have young families themselves making the chances of meeting up for gaming sessions almost non-existent. The frenetic pace and requirement for pixel-perfect skill is so 'refreshingly' old school I want to buy a Delorean, zap myself back to 1985, learn some coding skills (and obviously the ability to design and release a 'multi-tap' or similar) and release it. Not just to earn lots of money, although I'd be lying if that wasn't one of the drivers, but mainly because I'd then be able to experience it how it's meant to be experienced - in a room, packets of crisps and Coca-Cola bottles everwhere, with a load of mates, all arguing over who's go it is next, laughing at the poor sap who gets killed within seconds of starting it each time and giving the guy who mocks everyone everytime he beats them a dead arm. And then a dead leg for good measure, just so he gets the message.

If you're able to recreate those types of situations still, then do yourself a favour and get Towerfall immediately. It's simple. It's great fun. It's one of the best examples of why those days shouldn't have effectively been engineered out of the social calendar by game developers over the years. Where the social-gaming norm is now to connect with others via a headset, web cam and internet connection, until they work out a subscription model for playing local multiplayer at least. If, like me, you're older, no longer have the opportunity to use the small amount of time you have friends round to have sessions like this (due to all of the player's partners thinking this is a waste of an evening when we could be going out for a meal or sat talking, and why can't you just play it together one night, over that router-thingy when they're in bed), the rather frustrating and ultimately bolted-on single player mode (why could we not at least have bots!!*) will not provide anywhere near as much entertainment. In fact you will just sit there, crying, thinking about what could have been. It's like owning a Ferrari and not having a drivers license.

It's somewhat ironic that for the last few years I have wanted and now finally got a game with fantastic local multiplayer, and I'm now left wishing it had an online-multiplayer mode as well.

8/10 for the lucky souls who can experience this to its fullest, 5/10 for everyone else left with the rather turgid single-player mode.

(* this is more of an issue with the PS4 version. With controllers costing around 50 each, you either have to be incredibly rich, or have three PS4 owning mates happy to bring a controller around and partake in a multiplayer gaming session. I can't help but think that the percentage of those that either purchased or got Towerfall via PS Plus on PS4 and do have access to four controllers and three equally like-minded mates all in the same area, is likely to be less than 1% of people. Bots or an online-multiplayer component would have made it far more accessible to a wider audience, and if Bomberman can be played online successfully, I don't see why this couldn't seeing as they move at about the same pace (with a Bomberman upgraded on speed boots that is).

Dishonored - PS3
    AI ripped straight out of the 90s. Graphics that at times wouldn't look out of place on a PS2. Presentation similar to that seen in a low budget, indie, PC title. Glitchy. All just some of the very valid complaints you could have with Dishonored. But none of those matter. Because it's a fantastic game to play, as long as you play it as it was intended.

You could most likely complete Dishonored in about 7 hours, if not less, if you just ran through the levels killing everyone willy and indeed nilly. And if that's you're preferred way of playing, you can do that. But play it how the developers intended - as a stealthy, 'try not to kill anyone or at least as few as possible' game, and you get an incredibly rewarding experience. Patience and a creative mind is often rewarded, much as it used to be in the early Hitman titles, and in many ways Dishonored plays like the Deus Ex sequel we never got.

It's quite refreshing that you can effectively choose to make the game much simpler for yourself at any stage by adopting a Rambo approach, yet I never once felt like making it easy for myself. I replayed some sections a number of times, taking 4-5 times longer than I needed to, in order to experience the game how I wanted, and how I think the developers wanted as well. My playthrough took around 20 hours in total, and I know I've had a far more rewarding and challenging experience than anyone who completed it in, and then complained that it only lasted, 7 hours.

It's nearly as an enjoyable gaming experience as Alpha Protocol - which if you've played that should give you some idea as to whether you'll be able to forgive this games failings and enjoy it for what it is.

Lego Batman 2 - VITA
    Oh great. Another Lego game for the Vita on PS Plus that's really just a shoddy port of the 3DS version. But wait, what's this? Holy fucksticks Batman, it's actually really rather SMASHing. Okay so the cutscenes are so low-res that it feels like a KAPOW to the eyes watching them, but it's a different enough experience to the console versions to make it worth playing even if you own that as well. It has an old-school Lego vibe, more in common with the original PS2 Lego Star Wars than anything released recently, and as such makes for a pleasurable experience to unwind with on the VITA.

It doesn't show off the VITA's strengths at all, and the developer should be SLAMmed for porting the 3DS version over without even redoing the cutscenes or improving the sound (which, at times, goes so low it becomes almost inaudible). But importantly it still retains the franchises humour (the relationship between Batman and the forever-bland Superman is the most entertaining, although the hapless Robin also has his moments and Joker has some great lines) and is as OCD (Obsessive Collector Disorder) as ever. So much so that I've just platinumed it. Not for the trophies, because I couldn't give a SHI...sorry, shit about those but just because I wanted to do everything.

8 (although it's really a 7, I just had a lot more fun with it than arguably I should).

Driver San Francisco - X360

Midtown Madness meets Burnout Paradise. There's probably little reason to write anything further as that's likely enough context for anyone to decide whether Driver San Francisco will be for them or not. But wait - there's an important part missing from that description. There's a little twist I like to call 'soul surfing' (TM) whereupon you can dive into anyone elses body and take control of their vehicles at any* stage. This, at first, is an excellent twist, adding some creativity to the action.

However it quickly becomes apparent that the answer to almost any situation is 'change to large vehicle 300 yards up the road, ram into vehicle you are chasing, repeat until energy bar is empty'. To be fair there are a few situations where you have to do something different, but it does boil down to that a little too often.

The story holds everything together pretty well (although if I could swap into other people's bodies, I would NOT be doing it exclusively to drive their car) and their are plenty of challenges and collectibles in the city. But the handling model could have been better (everything drives like they have had margarine spread all of their tyres. In this age of videogaming, I can't believe it's not better) and the aforementioned tactic that rules all tactics kind of removes the fun out of it. Equally San Francisco feels a little...bland. There's not much that differentiates one part of the city from another, and you don't really ever get a sense of knowing where you are like you did playing an even larger environment in Burnout Paradise.

Had it not made things that simple (and it's not as though you can't not use it, as taking down six racers in one car is impossible, as you'll blow up before they will), provided a tighter handling model and more shortcuts/jumps through the city, it could have been a must-have addition to the genre. Instead it remains a perfectly acceptable and fun gaming experience that I enjoyed the 10 hours it lasted, but not one that will live long in the memory or worth much more than the 5 I paid for it.

(*apart from those times where the game forces you to remain in one vehicle, with no explanation as to why, other than 'we wanted to make this mission harder and we don't have to explain our reasoning to you, minion')

Edited by kentmonkey at 21:54:00 21-08-2014
  • Kichijoten 21 Aug 2014 23:15:45 1,584 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Dishonored graphics cheap from the nineties? It looks amazing. Wtf.

anyway

hotline Miami. Awesome but broke my stick so i can only score it 8.5. V happy with it and i look forward to number two. Only two more masks to find.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Aug 2014 23:38:22 4,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4)

Had the standard version on PS3 via PS+, but never downloaded it. This meant I was eligible for the upgrade for 3.99 on PS4 so thought "why not". So glad I did.

+ Great art style, fantastic animation and soundtrack too.
    + Stringing together combos was immensely satisfying. Using grapple moves for crowd control on Hard mode was also a hoot.
    + Nice steady drip feed of powers and pacing.
    + Some subtle nods to videogames/pop culture, especially the 8-bit Mario 1 and jumping Megaman sprites in the brickwork of some buildings.
    + Collectibles done right - they weren't too far out of reach or too plentiful, and each one you get contributes to your character's abilities.
    + Fun trophies. So fun I decided to Platinum it.
    + Punching and suplexing chickens. Also, turning into a chicken.

I got almost 20 hours of play time for the price of a sandwich. An easy 9.5/10, Drinkbox and very much on my radar after playing this.
  • kentmonkey 21 Aug 2014 23:45:40 20,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dishonored does not look amazing. It may play it, but it doesn't look it. Having random arms clip through doors/walls, poor animation and awful textures do not make an amazing looking game.
  • Kichijoten 21 Aug 2014 23:59:19 1,584 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Maybe the ps3 version is far worse but the art style makes it look amazing.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131014014553/dishonoredvideogame/images/a/a5/Brigmore_Witches_10.jpg

http://dev.dualshockers.com:8000/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Dishonored-GoldenCat_Sniping.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1569231/dishonored-review-boat-1920.jpg
  • kentmonkey 22 Aug 2014 00:03:42 20,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nothing against the style at all - very artistic. I just found in motion it broke down. And the arms through things was very last, last gen.
  • Wunty_Phyve 22 Aug 2014 00:05:25 1,324 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I love Dishonored's art style. It has a painted look to it. Looks a bit ropey in the odd place here and there I suppose if I was being picky but most games let the odd lousy texture through. Overall it looks fantastic.

My issue is with the bodies disappearing after you hide them. Completely nullifying the point of doing so. Happened frequently on my playthrough.

Edited by Wunty_Phyve at 00:06:25 22-08-2014
  • FuzzyDuck 22 Aug 2014 22:51:21 4,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Last Of Us Remastered - Left Behind (PS4)

Just blasted through this on Survivor difficulty and it was even more enjoyable the second time.

+ Every superlative that's been leveled at TLoU applies to this as well (so there's no need to say what's been said a thousand times already), except that it's basically one of the best videogames ever made, condensed into a two hour playthrough.

And this time I won the Super Soaker battle.

An easy 10/10

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 22:53:54 22-08-2014
  • HarryPalmer 22 Aug 2014 23:01:38 3,412 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Nothing against the style at all - very artistic. I just found in motion it broke down. And the arms through things was very last, last gen.
    Meh, didn't notice any of that, thought it looked great (ps3).
  • kentmonkey 22 Aug 2014 23:20:12 20,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had arms coming through doors and walls, heads sometimes too, and the mission where you can kill the guy via beverage, he clipped through the table and I couldn't do anything.
  • Matt36 25 Aug 2014 21:11:48 1,387 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My most recently completed games, were both done on the same day!

South Park & Saints Row 3! Both fantastic games. South Park especially.
  • Rens11 25 Aug 2014 21:15:00 1,419 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gone Home

Slow plodding and not what I would consider a game. Fell asleep halfway through playing which I don't think I've ever done with any other game

5/10

Edited by Rens11 at 22:13:13 25-08-2014

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• TAJB 25 Aug 2014 22:47:36 360 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Rens11 You fell asleep and still gave it a 5/10?

PSN: Tiny_WeeMan

• Rens11 25 Aug 2014 22:51:44 1,419 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TAJB

At least it was trying something different.

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• TAJB 25 Aug 2014 22:59:21 360 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Rens11 What's it like? I haven't even heard of it so I don't even know what it is.

PSN: Tiny_WeeMan

• Rens11 26 Aug 2014 06:45:14 1,419 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TAJB

Basically you come home and have a look round your house switch on a few lights, open some draws a read a few letters not very taxing and short at around 90minutes

• Stranded87 26 Aug 2014 08:54:17 924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved it, but it's definitely different.
  • CosmicFuzz 26 Aug 2014 09:14:13 24,881 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished a few games over the weekend. Splinter Cell Blacklist was a decent stealth em up. Nice knowing you could handle being spotted if you were quick enough although Sam still gets gunned down fairly quick if in the open which is good. Definitely one of the better Splinter Cells. Could have done without the FPS levels and straight up shooting bits, short as they were.

Wolf Among Us episodes 1 and 2. Fantastic stuff. Had high hopes after Walking Dead, and glad to say they were met. Never read Fables but love the world and the idea behind it all. Can't wait to finish off the next three eps.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• glaeken 26 Aug 2014 09:56:25 11,223 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Call of Juarez gunslinger - A solid 8/10 - Picked it up for about 2 on sale and it's a great fun little game. It plays really well and I actually liked the story a lot. The idea of an old cowboy telling tall tales in a bar and you playing those tall tales is excellent. It works really well when someone calls the story teller on a particular fact and then the mission you are playing actually changes to reflect this new information. Game play wise it's a tight corridor shooter with slow mo shooting and it just all works really well.
  • kinky_mong 26 Aug 2014 10:33:38 10,438 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It sounds good from your review but I binned Gunslinger pretty quickly because I just could not work out how you're meant to do the duels.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deckard1 26 Aug 2014 10:39:07 28,732 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You've got to shoot the other guy before he shoots you.
  • kinky_mong 26 Aug 2014 10:41:12 10,438 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shit that was where I was going wrong! Thank you user Deckard, I shall now try that rather than setting the controller down and going for a poo at those parts.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• glaeken 26 Aug 2014 11:39:10 11,223 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It took me a while to work out the duals. It's very badly explained in the game. You have to move the right stick to focus on the bad guy and the left stick slowly down to the gun. The left stick bit I totally missed at first but you can get the reaction speed up to 90% which is really key to if when you pull the trigger to draw if you even get to make a shot.

It's still pretty tricky though even when you understand how it works. You can make it a little easier by drawing first which you can do the moment you start to hear heart beats. It means it's a dishonourable kill but at least you can progress the game.

The duals are a weak point of the game though. Even when I figured out how they worked I did not enjoy them.
  • Hacienda 26 Aug 2014 11:54:13 160 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Finished a few games over the weekend. Splinter Cell Blacklist was a decent stealth em up. Nice knowing you could handle being spotted if you were quick enough although Sam still gets gunned down fairly quick if in the open which is good. Definitely one of the better Splinter Cells. Could have done without the FPS levels and straight up shooting bits, short as they were.
    I enjoyed Splinter Cell: Blacklist as well. Unlike "Tomb Raider" (yeah, right), it felt like a success in being more accessible in its controls and gameplay systems, whilst still retaining the core spirit and identity of the classic games, because on Perfectionist bottom line is you're best bet is stealth.

I didn't like the FPS sections either though, or the daytime levels (why would you operate during the day??). I also prefer when the series sticks to more industrial levels such as government data centres and whatnot rather than urban, but that's just a personal preference. Overall I think I marked this 4/5.
  • CosmicFuzz 26 Aug 2014 12:06:28 24,881 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hacienda wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I enjoyed Splinter Cell: Blacklist as well. Unlike "Tomb Raider" (yeah, right), it felt like a success in being more accessible in its controls and gameplay systems, whilst still retaining the core spirit and identity of the classic games, because on Perfectionist bottom line is you're best bet is stealth.

I didn't like the FPS sections either though, or the daytime levels (why would you operate during the day??). I also prefer when the series sticks to more industrial levels such as government data centres and whatnot rather than urban, but that's just a personal preference. Overall I think I marked this 4/5.
    Yeah I really liked the fact it catered to different play styles. Was very fluid too - a couple of times I was spotted I was able to speedily take out three guards in quick succession to remain undetected.

I definitely enjoyed playing as a stealthy killer, sneaking about slitting throat and dumping bodies in bins, but it's great you could play it as an shooty shooty or as a total, pure, wait-in-the-shadows-for-ten-minutes stealther and leave everyone alive too.

Good stuff.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• the_milkybar_kid 26 Aug 2014 12:27:06 518 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Last of Us Left Behind.

Did it in one sitting. Expected a little bit more and was a little bit disappointed it ended when it did. No one delivers characters, interaction and story quite like Naughty Dog

9/10.
  • xYOSSARIANx 26 Aug 2014 12:34:30 131 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just finished TLOU and the LB dlc. I really enjoyed it, though I took peoples advice and played hard/no listen and the first few encounter I had to repeat a few times.

I jumped straight back in with a view to getting a load of trophies, which is rare for me, when I'm done with a game I'm usually done.

PSN ReggieMcMuffin

• Hacienda 26 Aug 2014 14:56:10 160 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @CosmicFuzz I should say that I also consider Splinter Cell: Blacklist to be the best in the series. Good stuff indeed.
  • Humperfunk 26 Aug 2014 16:07:01 2,289 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tales of Symphonia HD

Great stuff - my favourite game on Gamecube and was superb to play again ten years later in HD.

10/10

The Secret of Monkey Island

A game I've wanted to play for years but never quite got around to it. Got around to it though this weekend. Chuckled a couple of times but thought it was supposed to be hilarious? Frustrating controls but that will be because I played it on a console. Glad I've played it, although wouldn't actually recommend it to anyone.

5/10

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Psiloc 26 Aug 2014 16:33:31 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lylat Wars AKA Starfox 64.

Brilliant, in short. Very easy to get to grips with and I found the controls to be a lot more precise than its SNES prequel. It's also aged pretty well, definitely the least frustrating game I've played on the N64 in recent memory.
  • Page

of 417 First / Last