Recently Completed Games Page 371

• Page

of 395 First / Last

• imamazed 12 Dec 2013 14:55:45 5,455 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeh I had to resort to videos for a few colossi. When you figure it all out yourself it's very rewarding, though.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2013 00:28:06
    Contrast

Urgh. What a shame. There is so much to like in this game, but so much to be dragged down to earth with a heavy bump. The game as an interesting setting, game mechanic, great voice work with a lite, but intriguing story. But it is a game that is in desperate need of several months polish.

So many times you are dragged out of the action with unclear objectives, despite the game holding your hand 95% of the time, and with big glowing orbs around important items. The game doesn't quite know what it's own rules are, and there are general fiddly moments of platforming. To the game credit , it constantly brings you back into the game world with ease, but so many times severe moments of lunacy in the game design chucks you back out again. It's a shame, because at times, (the game is only a few hours long) is fantastic.

It literally an early build of the game. The main game is there, but it needs load of play testing, and development. Transitions between cut scene and game are a bit ropey, story is a bit jumping from A to B with out quite knowing why, and puzzles whilst working, i don't think always work as intended, and there they are just there without any sense of why you are doing them.

They got all the important bits down, labelled, in place, but theres no joining of the dots.

A real shame, because there's a lot to like in the game.

5/10
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Dec 2013 00:34:37 7,275 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doubt I will return to contrast. From the trophy lists and percentage of people that have them it looks like a lot of people abandon it early. (Of course it may simply be that they will return later).
  • Deleted user 13 December 2013 02:45:16
    Killzone Shadowfall PS4

3/10

Where to begin? The game doesn't look that great for a start, as it certainly doesn't seem like next gen graphics. For example it doesn't even manage to reflect your own character in a mirror (despite quake3 doing this back before year 2000 in its first level). So then the question is how does it perform/handle? Like garbage. Considering it doesn't look that much better than the excellent Rage on ps3 despite having nearly a 1.5teraflop/s performance advantage and rendering at half the frame rate. But that isn't the complete story. The previous KZ3 was fine at 30fps because the sharpshooter controls made up for the sluggishness, so all this tells me, is that no FPS this gen should be targeting 30fps if using a DS4 is the only option. Story-wise the game is a mess and completely wastes the opportunity to feel like a proper sequel to KZ3. The real life actors used for the parts were very irritating and half the time, you are being forced to sit through some senseless FMV and being given all sorts of verbal info and HUD popup text that leaves you feeling quite bewildered disconnected from the part of playing. The overriding problem I had with the game was that it was too difficult to play with the sluggish middleware engine, visually it is pretty shonky current gen graphics(at higher res) and even when those problems subside in a section you don't get any sense of satisfaction from playing the game.

If the score seems a little harsh, then I'll explain why it is less than five. The game is inferior in every way to the excellent Rage running on previous generation hardware, So even had it equalled Rage it would only have scored a 5 from me. If this is the technically best looking game for both the PS4/X1 at present, then it is going to be a boring old generation if studios think this is the level to aspire to.
  • onestepfromlost 13 Dec 2013 03:22:09 1,966 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found this with killzone 2 when i got it for the ps3, i found the whole game sluggish and ended up abandoning it after a few levels. that review makes me think its the way its designed rather than a performance thing. maybe its just me :p
  • DrStrangelove 13 Dec 2013 04:13:06 2,566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Super Metroid, after quite some time.

Finished in 3:13 with 81% of items (found everything important right away, all missing ones are more rockets and bombs). These games certainly are shorter today than they seemed back then.

Anyway, great fun. 10/10.
  • WildBoy 13 Dec 2013 07:20:36 1 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Heavy Rain PS3

This was somehow always left at the bottom of the pile but finally I find the time (and the mood) to push it through. So first ending for me was the most negative possible :) without spoiling it for those whose not done with it yet, I manged it to get my kid killed and the killer to walk away and the FBI agent shredded :) My wife watched it as I played and she was left literally speechless when she saw the ending :) interestingly this was the only negative ending that I felt Ok with from recent memory from game endings. I started new and trying to find my way to a better ending (and try to keep myself away from walk-through's :) .

Edited by WildBoy at 07:23:51 13-12-2013
  • IJ 13 Dec 2013 12:43:46 741 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Never played a Tomb Raider game since a demo of the first one back in the 90's, and as I thought it was shit I never bothered with the series.
    This here the reason why we will never get a proper Tomb Raider ever again.

... because people like to have their hands held all the way through without taxing 0.007% of their brains capacity.

Oh, and not forgetting the PEW, PEW, PEW too.
    Hah a bit extreme. I wrote a glowing review of TR2013 a few pages ago but I've finished Dark Souls on my own with no help. I loved TR:Anniversary as well, but clearly the latest TR games didn't sell so they moved the franchise sidewards and still made a bloody great game.

We probably won't get another pure TR game, but someone will make something similar at some point and there's a good argument to be had about where they could have taken a pure TR forward anyway.
  • feeg86 13 Dec 2013 14:02:21 568 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

Great visual treat on the Vita, Starts off quite well but never progresses. An endless corridor of shooting goons in very similar locations with the very occasional puzzle to break it up. Maybe it's broken up to play like a mobile game than a PS3 game had no big set pieces that you're used to in the series either. Played on hard and felt like the game was about 2-2 1/2 hours too long. The end is absolutely marred by QTE's during the fight with Dante where I could have thrown the Vita through the window in disgust. Disappointed by the end.

6/10
  • neil74 13 Dec 2013 19:38:48 2,305 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Killzone Shadowfall PS4

3/10
    I am about to add KZ4 to my recently abandoned games list..

I liked KZ3 and am enjoying mercenary on the vita but this is just frustrating and not at all enjoyable.
  • alexm 13 Dec 2013 19:45:52 179 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @vizzini I got Killzone with a PS4 bundle and played it for about 15 minutes before deciding it wasn't for me and putting it back in the box. I can't agree with you about the graphics though, I thought they looked incredible and has me excited about the future.
  • BeebleB 13 Dec 2013 21:34:48 778 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @vizzini agree 100% its a shadow of the game it tries to be

/coat
  • Deleted user 15 December 2013 12:53:16
    Call of Hhhhhwaaaarez (360)

So I picked up Bound in Blood & Gunslinger in the Ubi sale but had never played the first one which was sitting on my HD for a bit. Can't play the sequels without at least dabbling in the original thinks I so I fire it up. Apart from some abysmal opening levels I thought this game was actually pretty damn good. It's aged a bit but you can't fault the ambition behind it. Two narratives, mixing up different gameplay styles, some great shooting (I can shoot people in the head whilst quoting from the bible!), some decent stealth (imo), not bad platforming (the hike up a mountain mid game was actually pretty smart), horse riding and more.

If I'd played this when it was released I would have been one chuffed puppy. As it is, because it's not aged great and it's a bit technically iffy then it gets a:

7/10

But if I'd played it back when it was released I would probably have given it a:

9/10
  • Dombat 15 Dec 2013 13:10:33 210 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    feeg86 wrote:
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

Great visual treat on the Vita, Starts off quite well but never progresses. An endless corridor of shooting goons in very similar locations with the very occasional puzzle to break it up. Maybe it's broken up to play like a mobile game than a PS3 game had no big set pieces that you're used to in the series either. Played on hard and felt like the game was about 2-2 1/2 hours too long. The end is absolutely marred by QTE's during the fight with Dante where I could have thrown the Vita through the window in disgust. Disappointed by the end.

6/10
    I probably enjoyed it a bit more than you did and would give it a 7 but I agree far too much of the game was too combat heavy, and the locations did get a bit samey.

I'm surprised some people think this is better than U3 - all this has over that is the puzzles IMO. U3 has much more interesting and varied locations and set pieces. Storyline is a little better too.
  • Kostabi 15 Dec 2013 13:13:54 4,670 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lego Marvel Superheroes (PS4) - 9/10

The gameplay is easy, repetitive and shallow. Yet it is easily some of the most fun I've had playing a game in a while.

There's some fun dialog and the story conjures up some decent set pieces as it trots around the Marvel universe throwing every villain ever at you. It's grand. :D
  • Matt36 15 Dec 2013 13:32:52 1,191 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @vijay_UK Agreed. I didn't think I would like it. Got an urge to play a Batman game so gave it a go. I was worried I wouldn't like it due to my inability to play stealth games, but its easy and works very well. Plenty collectables, the action is smooth and I wanted to go back and play it, unlike most games.

Can't wait to play AC when I get time.
  • BloodMountain88 16 Dec 2013 09:27:57 128 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (PS3)

Enjoyed this. The shooting is very satisfying, and the graphical style helped it to stand out from the crowd a bit. The story wasn't great, and a couple of the boss battles were frustrating, but neither of those things impacted too much on my enjoyment. The dueling system is probably the best attempt at it I've seen in a game as well. It's a short game (about 2.5-3 hours in total), but I think it would have outstayed it's welcome had it been any longer.

7/10
  • feeg86 16 Dec 2013 09:36:37 568 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dombat I must admit, the last few hours quashed my enjoyment, especially the fight with Dante, the touch screen commands almost felt gimped. I'd have to say out of the 3 console games I enjoyed it the least, but then I loved U3 and didn't it as disappointing as most seemed to. Plus it looked glorious in 3D.
  • jellyBelly 16 Dec 2013 09:59:49 323 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I've still to play Arkham Asylum. I've got it sitting on the shelf for Wii U. It'll have to wait until after Assassin's Creed 4, now.
    I'll put money on you enjoying AA more than AC4. Even a packet of virtual Jaffas. It is such a well put-together game.
    Arkham Asylum isn't out on the WiiU, he probably means Arkham City

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Raiko101 16 Dec 2013 11:02:18 5,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jellyBelly Oops. I did mean Arkham City. I have AA on 360 and I loved it. One of the best games I've played in years.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• vijay_UK 16 Dec 2013 11:57:20 1,678 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Matt36 wrote:
    @vijay_UK Agreed. I didn't think I would like it. Got an urge to play a Batman game so gave it a go. I was worried I wouldn't like it due to my inability to play stealth games, but its easy and works very well. Plenty collectables, the action is smooth and I wanted to go back and play it, unlike most games.

Can't wait to play AC when I get time.
    Very few games nowadays have me hooked, too many require reading manuals and walkthrough's and stuff, too much work. Batman AA was a fantastic game to play from the beginning. Looking forward to Arkham City as well now.

And ofc, once AC has been done, can think about Arkham Origins in a sale eventually.
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Dec 2013 18:07:37 1,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Contrast I have to say I really enjoyed it. Yes, it's by no means perfect but I really enjoyed my time with it. The game world and story really pulled me in. I loved the whole shadow idea. I think because I liked the shadows concept so much and the feel of the world and the story that I liked the game. If the game world and shadow concept does nothing for you then the game on it's own isn't interesting enough to hold it's own.

A good 7/10 for me.
  • Progguitarist 17 Dec 2013 19:12:51 10,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Resogun

It's brilliant, basically.

10/10
  • Anthony_UK 17 Dec 2013 19:35:23 2,394 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ryse 7/10

Despite the combat being basically one combo, I enjoyed this from start to finish, which actually surprised me. Despite its simplicity and like the Batman games, the combat is just very moreish and satisfying when you manage those long unbroken combos.  I even enjoyed nailing the timings on the QTE finishers.

Some great scenes and the graphics can really be quite something at times, though I'm disappointed to read that the cut scenes are basically FMV's rather than rendered in game.

Either way, for me this was a solid start to a new series. Increase the game length and variety along with a more in depth combat system and I'll be around if they sequel ever arrives.
  • Gunzberg 18 Dec 2013 11:43:23 929 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shadow Warrior (2013) PC 8/10

Ignore the crappy story and enjoy the great sword n guns gameplay in a number of huge levels. Lots of content for a budget price and great fun too.

Recommended

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Matt36 18 Dec 2013 11:58:53 1,191 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @vijay_UK Because I still have AC to play, which is meant to be a much larger game compared to Asylum, Origins should be nice and cheap! :)
  • imamazed 19 Dec 2013 10:49:41 5,455 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Walking Dead - Season Two, Episode 1

A bit of a disjointed start, but the episode just got stronger and stronger. Fleeting references to Lee were really heartfelt. I wonder who the person Clem thought was dead is in the "coming next" bit at the end. The boring answer would be Christa but I'm racking by brains about any characters that died in an ambiguous fashion - Ben?

9/10

Edited by imamazed at 10:50:02 19-12-2013
  • TheMayorOfJugs 19 Dec 2013 11:06:29 2,279 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Ben was fairly murderised to death though. At least in my playthrough.
  • imamazed 19 Dec 2013 11:11:11 5,455 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    Ben was fairly murderised to death though. At least in my playthrough.
    if you choose not to let him drop to his doom in the bell tower he gets killed in that alleyway. Although iirc you don't actually see the death? Or maybe I'm thinking of Kenny who helps him...
  • jdanddiet 19 Dec 2013 11:11:30 8 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Halo 4 - 6/10

OK it looks lovely and it was ok, but I just found the whole experience a bit meh. Running around, shooting, running around, shooting etc.

Good soundtrack though.

My Twitter handle: @wizwords
    Blog: www.jdanddiet.blogspot.com

• Page

of 395 First / Last