Recently Completed Games Page 359

• Page

of 422 First / Last

• Flying_Pig 12 Oct 2013 14:52:12 11,352 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Walking Dead (PS3)
    Never before have I played a game which is so intense and emotional as this. The relationships between characters is stunning (especially Lee and Clem) and the game had my bottom lip wobbling a few times.

I knew it would be good, but I never expected it to be this good.

10/10
  • Mola_Ram 12 Oct 2013 15:06:27 8,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @IJ Thank you. Yours does not seem to be a popular opinion around here, but it is a more correct opinion than all the other ones. :)

EDIT: Except for the ending. I did think that was a bit shit.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 15:07:04 12-10-2013
  • IJ 12 Oct 2013 15:18:48 843 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Mass Effect 3

After 50 hours I've just finished the final game in the trilogy, having played the other two previously as well. Sadly my xbox got stolen last year so my save game was gone, which did dramatically affect my story and to some degree my involvement with it, which was a shame.

I love this series, but for the first 5-10 hours this was a bit of a struggle. It's very similar to Mass effect 2, but at the start the writing was poor and the voice acting seemed wooden and stilted with conversations not really flowing. Then it started kicking into gear, old faces came back and the moral choices started to come and it was back to it's best. I quite enjoy the combat but I can see why others don't. But it isn't the combat which makes this trilogy, for me, one of the best set of games ever made.

In almost no other game have I been so involved with the characters. Once they started turning up, I couldn't wait to get home after work and spend more time saving the galaxy with them. Playing with the same characters for five years obviously helps build that long term connection, but few games would I really care about what happens to a character or their species. There are some duds, James is a waste of time as is Ashley, and Garrus, one of my favourite from 1 and 2 was a lot less edgy and interesting this time. Infact the cast in general was definitely poorer than 2, where there were strong and interesting characters like Jack and Thane.

But meeting old faces and friends and seeing how my choices affected the world was an experience no other game this generation has. Maybe the combat isn't that good enough and there is too much focus on it. But the ability to take any combination of crews on a mission, and the difference in dialog, theme and feel is something no other game has really done.

The ending.......I actually really liked the ending. I picked the "merge" ending, without giving anything away, and while this may be seen as the "good" ending, I don't really agree. I had a long think about it and it was not an obvious choice, but I wanted to end the cycles of destruction. I agree synthetics vs organics fighting would continue and if i destroyed the reapers history would just repeat itself. Not everyone would agree, maybe others think lessons will be learnt and a reaper type event would never happen again. I wanted to embrace a new idea, a new start, try something new to break what i saw as an inevitable cycle. I wanted to enter the unknown and see what happened.

Not as good as Mass Effect 2, but still a strong end to the series. I've read a few articles on why some disliked the endings so much, but I do disagree. WHile not perfect, I'm surprised there was such an uproar.

Mass Effect 3 - 9/10
    Leviathan DLC - 9/10

Mass Effect trilogy - 10/10

I know there is going to be a Mass Effect 4 and that does concern me...for me it would need to retreat a bit more towards RPG and back from being an action third person shooter.

Good bye Mass Effect, I'll miss you, and all my crew.
    I'll be damned if my only 'long' review is sent to die as the last post on a page :)
  • Rodriguez 12 Oct 2013 15:24:49 1,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Flying_Pig

Totally agree with you on The Walking Dead! I played it earlier in the year and thought it was a fantastic 'experience' and I couldn't help but feel both gripped by the story and the wonderful (or otherwise) relationships that develop between some of the characters!
  • IJ 12 Oct 2013 15:29:21 843 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    @IJ Thank you. Yours does not seem to be a popular opinion around here, but it is a more correct opinion than all the other ones. :)

EDIT: Except for the ending. I did think that was a bit shit.
    Based purely on mechanics, I can see why some think it's very overrated. I preferred the more RPG nature of the first one. But, mix decent mechanics with the characters, writing and storyline and you have something special. But some go to TV and movies for story and games for gameplay, which I can understand.

I really don't get why everyone was so upset about the ending. The "ghost child" as I read some write. What's wrong with that, it was heavily signposted throughout the game and given the vast number of different species over the cycles some might not have eyes, ears, heads, brains whatever, so it would have to show itself in some form the current cycle could understand. And this was on his mind, as clearly show throughout.

People seemed upset it was all about organics vs synthetics and this wasn't well signposted. Well, we were fighting the reapers weren't we, a synthetic life form? The whole thing was about that theme!

The only element I would have added would have been to hint at the possibility of it not being all right. So with the merge option, they could have ended with tension between the new merged entities and newly encountered pure organics. Or difficulties which had been encountered due to this totally new type of life form. Or for the control option, though it was hinted at when Shepherd said that line about Immortal and all powerful, have that a bit stronger to give a hint he might have gone evil.
  • SolidSCB 12 Oct 2013 18:01:14 7,201 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Catherine

Finally got around to finishing this. An interesting game with an interesting theme. The gameplay is fun enough, but fuck me does it drag towards the end.

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 12 Oct 2013 20:36:04 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Darkness II

I was a big fan of the original game, it stood apart from many FPS games at the time by virtue of its excellent story telling at the time as well as being a fun game to play. It took me a while to pick up the sequel as I was worried that the new developers would have lost the magic of the original and the new art style didn't interest me. Both turned out to be foolish concerns and with the game now available for only a tenner I thought it time to give it a try.

It is different from the first game in that it lacks the open areas from the original that connected the various levels. In this one the mansion acts as a hub, but the game unfolds in a much more linear fashion. That doesn't matter too much as it retains the original's capacity for telling the story, in particular it keeps the monologues from Jackie during the loading screens, they're still a nice touch.

The story continues a few years after the first game, Jackie Estacado is now the boss of a crime family and has suppressed the darkness that dwells within him. In his case the darkness is no metaphor for his internal rage, it is a demonic entity that grants him supernatural gifts.

These powers add another dimension to the game, as well as the usual FPS shooting action you can access the Drakness' powers, although only when you are in the dark. This is a violent game, some of the finishing moves are quite gruesome. Killing enemies grants dark essence that can be used to gain new powers and improve existing ones.

The gameplay is solid, but as with the first game it's the storytelling that elevates it. I also respect the fact that it's willing to take you away from the action to a slower pace, the hospital sequences were well done and provided additional interest. The story itself is a little predictable, I predicted the ending early on, but it's well told and sets up a new sequel well.

All in all it's a fun game and a well put together experience.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• yegon 12 Oct 2013 21:50:59 5,398 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steamworld Dig, 3DS

Only bought it a few days ago and was utterly addicted from start to finish.
    Not very hard and isn't a massive game, but it's the perfect length really and worth every penny.

Think it's available on Steam (no pun intended) too, although I think the 3DS is the ideal format for it.
  • IJ 13 Oct 2013 18:35:17 843 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Brothers: A tale of two sons

Absolutely loved this game. I wanted a palate cleanser after spending 50 hours with Mass Effect 3 and this was perfect. It's a lovely game, lovely really is the right word. At heart it's pretty basic, it's easy, a lot of the time you're just pushing forward on the two sticks and there really aren't any puzzles. But it's an experience. The artwork is simply stunning, the music is moving and at three hours long it's the perfect length. There are so many lovely little touches, I constantly found myself just smiling to myself. I wish we had a lot more of these games, little snippets of wonder that can be played in one evening or lazy Sunday afternoon. This is a game I'd get a non-gamer to play to show them how good games can be. I appreciate the ending and the "moment" but the Eurogamer review was a bit over the top for me, it was a lovely technique but I didn't think it was quite the revolution Eurogamer seemed to hint at.

9/10

Postword: This has nothing to do with the quality of the game. But can you really charge 10 for this game (XBOX)? What other entertainment charges 10 for something which is three hours long and has very little replay value? A film costs 5 to rent, that's the right price for this sort of game. This takes nothing from the game itself of course, but if I was strapped for cash or a student etc I really wouldn't be able to justify this game given the price.
  • Paulie_P 13 Oct 2013 19:38:51 416 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @IJ sure DVDs used to cost that on release and blue rays were going for 25 when they came out.
  • Stranded87 13 Oct 2013 20:15:44 939 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really depends whether you equate length to value. Though in any case a lot of full price 40 pound games aren't much more than 12 hours, so it's not far out of line with that really.

Edited by Stranded87 at 20:16:01 13-10-2013
  • IJ 13 Oct 2013 23:44:23 843 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Really depends whether you equate length to value. Though in any case a lot of full price 40 pound games aren't much more than 12 hours, so it's not far out of line with that really.
    That's a fair point actually, hadn't really thought about that. Though most do tend to have multiplayer/different difficulties for replay value.

DVDs aren't a comparison because you buy those as you intend to watch them multiple times, I didn't think brothers had much reply value. As I say, stunning game and the creators don't set the price so it does not affect their creative talent.

Length vs value is a tricky one. Would you pay 1000 for that one, 60 seconds of seminal enlightenment moment that changes your life perspective? probably. 500 for the best single hour of tv entertainment ever produced? Maybe. How about 100 for a one hour long game which had zero replay value but was a seminal moment in game design? Many wouldn't. There is a link between length and value, just everyone will draw the line somewhere different along the spectrum.

Edited by IJ at 23:45:22 13-10-2013
  • drip 13 Oct 2013 23:59:04 4,608 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Mass Effect 3

In almost no other game have I been so involved with the characters. Once they started turning up, I couldn't wait to get home after work and spend more time saving the galaxy with them. Playing with the same characters for five years obviously helps build that long term connection, but few games would I really care about what happens to a character or their species. There are some duds, James is a waste of time as is Ashley, and Garrus, one of my favourite from 1 and 2 was a lot less edgy and interesting this time. Infact the cast in general was definitely poorer than 2, where there were strong and interesting characters like Jack and Thane.

But meeting old faces and friends and seeing how my choices affected the world was an experience no other game this generation has. Maybe the combat isn't that good enough and there is too much focus on it. But the ability to take any combination of crews on a mission, and the difference in dialog, theme and feel is something no other game has really done.
    I do think that ME3 is the best in the series gameplay-wise, and I understand/liked seeing your former allies again, but in every case, be it Garrus, Wrex, Liara, and most importantly my dearly loved Jack, I found their reappearances very shallow, even ME1 did a much better job on the personal level imo.

Whatever negative there is about the ending has been told already. I do like the choice, but what came after seemed to be a horribly shallow afterthought to me, a few cutscenes that would have seemed okay 15 years ago, but horribly inferior to any story stuff within the game in both ME1 and 2.

Not as good as Mass Effect 2, but still a strong end to the series. I've read a few articles on why some disliked the endings so much, but I do disagree. WHile not perfect, I'm surprised there was such an uproar.

Mass Effect 3 - 9/10
    Leviathan DLC - 9/10

Mass Effect trilogy - 10/10
    I do agree. ME3 was a great game, Leviathan was great (mostly story-wise), but still. ME2 had a sour taste to me first after ME1, but I learned to accept its weaknesses and appreciate its strengths (I could say the same bout ME1), but ME3... the story part is just too shallow and cartoonish for this heavily story-driven series imo.

I know there is going to be a Mass Effect 4 and that does concern me...for me it would need to retreat a bit more towards RPG and back from being an action third person shooter.

Good bye Mass Effect, I'll miss you, and all my crew.
    Mass Effect was never an actual RPG actually, ME1 was a wide genre mix but mainly story-driven action-adventure, ME2 cut a lot of that and became a story-driven cover-based shooter, ME3 was too basically (with the RPG part actually being a bit stronger again than in ME2).

I will buy ME4, I expect it to be a travesty on the original story, but still I expect it to be one of the best games in the more or less near future.
  • Stranded87 14 Oct 2013 09:37:23 939 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Beyond: Two Souls

This has some of the worst game design that I've come across in many a year and some horrendous, beyond cheesy writing. But it also has some really great sequences and some quite moving moments.

The graphics are probably the best I've ever seen and the voice acting is a step up from previous Quantic Dream games.

As an overall experience it's a bit of a mess, but it had enough good moments that it's likely to stay with me and for that I give it a 7/10.
  • Paulie_P 14 Oct 2013 10:03:36 416 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @IJ I can see your point about DVDs but I would more likely replay a 3 hour game before a 40 hour one. I think we've been used to developers trying to cram as much into a game as possible (sometimes to the game's detriment) that when something like Brothers comes along, it does make us question the price. When it all comes down to it, each person will have their own criteria on what is worth the asking price.

Edited by Paulie_P at 10:03:57 14-10-2013
  • Progguitarist 16 Oct 2013 13:54:19 10,509 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Beyond: Two Souls

Far from perfect but still worthy of a play through. The writing is superior to Heavy Rain and technically, it's streets ahead.

+ Amazing graphics
    + Great atmosphere
    + Some fantastic scenes
    + They managed to render Willem Dafoe's considerably chiseled head.

- Some ropey dialogue
    - Some mechanics were too simple

8/10
  • King_Edward 16 Oct 2013 14:14:49 11,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ico HD

In spite of all it's inspired and the brilliant collection of smaller, more emotional experiences available on consoles today, I don't Ico have ever been topped.

10/10
  • Rens11 16 Oct 2013 20:10:52 1,457 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spec Ops the line PS3

Got the game free with PS+ started it played about 20minutes and deleted it dismissing it as a mediocre shooter. How wrong was I! The shooting is average but the story is arguably one of the greatest in gaming

9/10

Edited by Rens11 at 21:45:41 16-10-2013

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Rhaegyr 16 Oct 2013 21:06:59 2,670 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Ico HD

In spite of all it's inspired and the brilliant collection of smaller, more emotional experiences available on consoles today, I don't Ico have ever been topped.

10/10
    Missed out on Ico and SOTC originally so was really glad when the both came out on PS+.

I played SOTC and finished it (loved it) but could only spend a few hours with ICO before losing interest - have I only scratched the surface? Does playing SOTC first dampen the experience?
  • StrikeForce 17 Oct 2013 10:57:33 114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

Microsoft freebie. Campaign including sidequests took me 40 hours. Got bored with the story after about 10 minutes so didn't have a clue what was happening - seemed like the usual elf, ogres, ghost stuff but I'm sure some people out there would enjoy it. The puzzling itself was quite enjoyable though not really "puzzle-y" enough - I quickly learned that if I couldn't beat an opponent comfortably I could just go away, defeat some lesser enemies to level up sufficiently and then go back and kick the shit out the other chap. The Battle Puzzles did a good job of demonstrating the advanced tactics that were under the surface but they were rarely needed in the campaign. Perhaps that stuff comes into play in the multiplayer, but I can't be bothered with that - after 40 hours I think I've had enough.

7/10
  • Mola_Ram 17 Oct 2013 11:01:18 8,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Heathen! Clash of heroes is fantastic.
  • bronzemedal 17 Oct 2013 11:10:05 36 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ICO HD

First time I've played this and would now put it in my top 10. Enjoyed the visuals and gameplay despite it's age. Beautiful ending.

10/10

Out of interest, does SOTC have a similar atmosphere to ICO?

Edited by bronzemedal at 11:13:39 17-10-2013
  • Saucy 17 Oct 2013 11:26:25 2,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rayman Origins (X360)

Loved it, been a long time since I've played a 2D platformer. Visuals were stunning, controls tight and challenge was about spot on. Possibly lacked a bit of variation, but from I understand they've fixed that in Legends, which I'm very much looking forward to picking up.

9/10
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2013 11:34:59 7,030 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bronzemedal wrote:
    ICO HD

First time I've played this and would now put it in my top 10. Enjoyed the visuals and gameplay despite it's age. Beautiful ending.

10/10

Out of interest, does SOTC have a similar atmosphere to ICO?
    Somewhat. It's a very different game, though, despite being eerily similar.

PSN: DonOsito

• StrikeForce 17 Oct 2013 11:37:27 114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SaucyGeoff I'd leave it a while before picking up Legends if I were you. While it is still top quality, it's very much more of the same, and since it also contains just about all of Origins levels as well, it might be nice to revisit them after a long break.
  • Saucy 17 Oct 2013 11:47:06 2,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @StrikeForce Cheers, I'll probably look to give it a go next summer then.
  • Stan8001 19 Oct 2013 19:53:29 687 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tomb Raider (2013) 7/10

Enjoyed this game from start to finish. The combat was enjoyable for a 3rd person game, but a bit too much of it and not enough puzzles for a TR game. I still remember puzzles from TR4 15 years ago, but I'm struggling to remember any from this game 24 hours after completion, they were very simple. Plus, the platforming looked nice but was very easy, I fell to my death once in the whole game. Still, great little action game in its own right. Marked down since last night as I've had more time to think about it.

Edited by Bananazniper at 10:53:28 20-10-2013
  • Rens11 20 Oct 2013 17:50:05 1,457 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bastion (PC)

Game looks gorgeous with detailed environments and the narrator is a clever touch however the game is quite repetitive and was too easy towards the end

7/10

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Rhaegyr 20 Oct 2013 22:20:34 2,670 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

I wasn't wowed at first, but then after an hour or so this game becomes something else and builds to one of the best peaks I've played in some time. It's hard to describe how great this is without going into detail on the moments that make it - suffice to say, this game packed the emotional narrative punch and marriage of mechanics to the story that games like Journey can only dream of.

Two scenes in particular will stay with me for a long time - HUGE SPOILERS - the death and burial of your older brother. I don't know if this is due to me having an older brother but this really hit hard and I'm so pleased(?) they didn't renege on it. The second is EG's shout - the moment you realise you need to push that left trigger was a revelation - very powerful stuff. Rang my older brother just to talk to him for a while when I finished - how's that for impact?

I hope this sold well because Starbreeze knocked it out of the park.

9/10

Edited by Rhaegyr at 22:30:43 20-10-2013
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 Oct 2013 23:38:17 11,472 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rhaegyr: Yeah, that second point you mentioned really hit me hard but in a completely different way, as I have a little brother.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Page

of 422 First / Last